Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

If you're going sli 980ti make sure you get a nice monitor, something like xb270hu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That was the impression I got when they posted in the PC parts thread. They are willing to spend $4k total, they wanted a 144Hz/GSync/1440p monitor and they want to put every setting as high as it can go so I told them that if they want to do all that and get anywhere near 144fps it would take a SLI 980 Ti setup. :shrug:

You are without a doubt the voice of reason and I truly appreciate the advice you have given (along with everyone else in the thread). I am honestly just struggling with my worse half that wants all the best poo poo since I know I can afford it. This thread is helping me to see the light though, and not throw an extra $610 out the window in search of the absolute best. I'm sure a new rig with just 1 980 Ti should be fine. I can always lower some of the settings if need be.

I still plan to rock a 1tb SSD and the Acer xb270hu.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
You can always add a second video card later if one isn't doing it for you. Battlefield 4 is the only game a single 980ti won't hit 100+ fps on, I think.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Slider posted:

If you're going sli 980ti make sure you get a nice monitor, something like xb270hu.

This goes without saying. Or even the fancy new 165hz version that Asus is putting out.

SlayVus posted:

Buy a single GTX 980 Ti then buy a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB SSD(You could even buy two).

I disagree with this. 500GB is nice, a terabyte is a luxury. There's better things you can do with the extra $300 than a second terabyte of SSD space.

For example you could cram 64-128GB of memory on the mobo. Then you run a ramdisk or disk cache.

Heck, I'd even argue the second 980 Ti as being a better investment, assuming you're not running on a shoestring budget of memory. How many 100GB games do you want to keep on your disk at a time?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

The Rev posted:

You are without a doubt the voice of reason and I truly appreciate the advice you have given (along with everyone else in the thread). I am honestly just struggling with my worse half that wants all the best poo poo since I know I can afford it. This thread is helping me to see the light though, and not throw an extra $610 out the window in search of the absolute best. I'm sure a new rig with just 1 980 Ti should be fine. I can always lower some of the settings if need be.

I still plan to rock a 1tb SSD and the Acer xb270hu.

Yeah, go for it, that's a bitchin' rig. The only thing I could suggest otherwise is waiting for the new Acer 165hz monitor that's being released.

The 850 Evo is the undisputed SSD king right now. The 850 Pro is better but not enough to make it worth it.

I really doubt you'll have to lower settings for the games you play on a 980 Ti, it's a fantastic card. Like Panty Saluter said, BF4 is the only thing that's graphically challenging on there, and nothing else is super twitchy either. I'd actually suggest jumping up to a 32-34" superwide 1440p or 32" 4K panel (make sure it's 60hz!) first, even. According to your times, 90% of your gameplay isn't in twitchy poo poo, you're an ideal buyer for IPS.

still though, you know you want the second 980 Ti :unsmigghh:

let me live vicariously through you please :smith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 3, 2015

The Rev
Jun 24, 2008
This will be my last detail of the thread, I promise. I appreciate everyone's opinion on the cards.

I think enough sense has been made to stick with 1 980 Ti. Do I want 2? sure, but it doesn't seem all that logical / cost effective.

The build looks like this: I'll keep the bigger PSU in the off-chance I pick up another card to SLI in the future. Funny enough, on of my limiters is space, I cant really fit a 34" at the moment, 27" is fine though.

I'm quite excited to go from my 6 year old rig to this.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($91.98 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($162.89 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($346.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For $128.00)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.66 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Card ($610.00)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $79.00)
Power Supply: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($126.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Acer XB270HU bprz 144Hz 27.0" Monitor ($709.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard (Purchased For $139.99)
Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse (Purchased For $49.99)
Total: $2902.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-11-02 20:17 EST-0500

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I can also vouch for the 850 EVO. I have a 500GB and it is indeed fast - I had a Mushkin Chronos before, and it was not bad at all but the Samsung smokes it. I've only used about 300 GB all told, and it doesn't seem like you have any gigantic games (or not enough to worry about). That being said I have a 3TB spinny drive for media so YMMV.

I have a 21:9 monitor and I love it but it's hack city since very few games support arbitrary resolutions. High frame rate or 4k will be easier assuming the hardware is good (and yours is).

Still... :allears:

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Paul MaudDib posted:

For example you could cram 64-128GB of memory on the mobo. Then you run a ramdisk or disk cache.

Heck, I'd even argue the second 980 Ti as being a better investment, assuming you're not running on a shoestring budget of memory. How many 100GB games do you want to keep on your disk at a time?

I feel like this is an asinine suggestion because 64GB of RAM on Skylake costs $464. That is $7.25 per GB compared to the $0.35 per GB on a 1TB SSD.

A 128GB Ram kit, $999. $7.804 per GB. There really is NO benefit of a cache drive for gaming, at ALL when compared to an SSD even at SATA3 speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAAHuCshnA

If you do plan on going SLI 980 Ti, I would suggest a 1KW PSU. Just pick your poison on manufacturer. Seasonic has several 7yr warranty ones, EVGA has a 10, 7, and 5 yr. I don't know about any others off the top of my head. But the 10yr EVGA is supposed to be REALLY good.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Nov 3, 2015

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

For that money why not get a 950?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467

We just installed one on a workstation PC, everything boots noticeably faster than the old 2.5" SSD based system. About 4x faster.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Paul MaudDib posted:

e: Also, I know Carmack says the Rift's panel isn't compatible with G-Sync/FreeSync. But I would definitely bet it'll be introduced in future generations.

Are we just saying G-sync because of Nvidia's market share, or do we expect G-sync to remain in force once Intel starts cranking out Freesync products?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
If I had that monitor and a second 980ti was in the budget, I'd get a second 980ti. I can crunch down below 60 fps with modern games at 1440p with one 980ti although it is pretty difficult to do, no doubt in my mind there is benefit with a high refresh monitor. However, you can always add one of course.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eggyolk posted:

For that money why not get a 950?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147467

We just installed one on a workstation PC, everything boots noticeably faster than the old 2.5" SSD based system. About 4x faster.

Because it comes with an Asscreed code. Ew.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SlayVus posted:

I feel like this is an asinine suggestion because 64GB of RAM on Skylake costs $464. That is $7.25 per GB compared to the $0.35 per GB on a 1TB SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywAAHuCshnA

A ramdisk doesn't make any difference vs an equivalent amount of memory - correct. Nowadays Windows is probably even smart enough to cache that poo poo for you. For a fair comparison, pull sticks out until you're down to 8GB and see what happens to your load times.

I'd argue there's two different ways you could go. One is a buttload of SSD storage. When you fire up a game you load what you need into memory and the rest lives on the SSD. The other way is that you have a HDD where your stuff lives. When you start a game the ramdisk loads everything in the directory and you're fine. Also you can use the memory for other stuff should you ever have the need.

The difference from my point of view is that you can keep terabytes of stuff on a HDD for cheap, whereas SSDs cost a minimum of $300/TB for the good stuff. I have 15 TB of storage that I can address at 1Gbit/s or higher (USB 3.0 or Gig-E) and the whole shebang cost ~$1000, and I haven't added space in years now. And nowadays I don't think that's actually all that much, I could move onto 3 single disks for $500 or so. I keep seeing the 5TB HGSTs for $270 and salivating.

Really the truth is that none of this matters to actual FPS - for framerate it either fits in memory or it doesn't. It's important to acknowledge that we are arguing about the 3-5 seconds it takes to load a level, and there's a decreasing marginal value to that. Maybe you do it for your favorite MOBA and also your favorite shooter and the one game you are currently obsessed with, but what do you do with the other 1.5TB on your 2x 1TB SSDs? Your TV library doesn't see any benefit from being on an SSD.

quote:

If you do plan on going SLI 980 Ti, I would suggest a 1KW PSU. Just pick your poison on manufacturer. Seasonic has several 7yr warranty ones, EVGA has a 10, 7, and 5 yr. I don't know about any others off the top of my head. But the 10yr EVGA is supposed to be REALLY good.

Totally agree with this, don't skimp on the PSU. Buy a nice Gold-rated SeaSonic, SilverStone, or EVGA. You probably don't need more than 750-800W even with overclocks but don't skimp on this part.

e: typo'd the meaning of the two ways you can go :downs:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 3, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I try to be profligate with SSD space and I still have 508 GB on it.

The problem is that I keep getting tempted to get another and just pull the platters out of the box.

Luckily I'm not running a fancy water loop so I can't justify the noise effects.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

A second Samsung SSD won't perform as well as the first because the RAPID or whatever mode only works on one drive.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

A second Samsung SSD won't perform as well as the first because the RAPID or whatever mode only works on one drive.

Yup Samsung does a buttload of RAMdisk caching right out of the box, if you install Samsung Magician. If something else uses the RAM it can't, though.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Not on Windows 10, since Magician only checks for exactly Win7 or 8 or 8.1. It's also not out of the box, it has to be turned on. I also had lots of issues with it with 8GB RAM. I'm willing to bet with the speed of a 950 that it's largely irrelevant with that drive. It is no panacea for better performance, just a glorified RAM disk for caching. :-)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Paul MaudDib posted:

A ramdisk doesn't make any difference vs an equivalent amount of memory - correct. Nowadays Windows is probably even smart enough to cache that poo poo for you. For a fair comparison, pull sticks out until you're down to 8GB and see what happens to your load times.

If I only have 8 GB now is there a benefit to going to 16 GB? I don't push the RAM that hard, even 6 GB is high. Would Windows and/or Samsung's software cache that much more aggressively?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Panty Saluter posted:

If I only have 8 GB now is there a benefit to going to 16 GB? I don't push the RAM that hard, even 6 GB is high. Would Windows and/or Samsung's software cache that much more aggressively?

Depends on the game and resolution. Maybe not with low-tier GPUs but overall I think it's probably $50 well spent if you're investing in something better than a 960 or a 7850. Hopefully you're running 2x4GB and can put a stick in one of your other slots. Buying from scratch I 100% advocate buying nothing less than 8GB sticks of DDR3 at this point. It's cheap as gently caress and you don't know when it'll start to climb.

LiquidRain posted:

Not on Windows 10, since Magician only checks for exactly Win7 or 8 or 8.1. It's also not out of the box, it has to be turned on. I also had lots of issues with it with 8GB RAM. I'm willing to bet with the speed of a 950 that it's largely irrelevant with that drive. It is no panacea for better performance, just a glorified RAM disk for caching. :-)

Welp. Compatibility mode?

Yeah, you really need more than 8GB RAM. The first 1GB is for windows, then you have your Chrome tabs, then your games, then any background stuff like Magician should (in theory) take backseat, which means no utilization when you only have 8GB total. 8GB is a reasonable minimum nowadays but you're not going to run a meaningful ramdrive in it (that's all RAPID does).

Although with a 950 - I'd agree that's probably not your bottleneck.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Nov 3, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I have a 970 at 2560 x 1080 so I guess it won't hurt. I'm using 2 x 4 GB and was considering just buying two more of the same sticks but apparently different production runs of the same model RAM can have compatibility issues?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It's more of putting in all 4 dimms, even matched ones, doesn't always work

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

It's more of putting in all 4 dimms, even matched ones, doesn't always work

Wow, that sucks. It's almost like a single DIMM would be the safest bet :v: Does this get worse with lower latency or higher clock speed RAM?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

LiquidRain posted:

The new version of Magician (4.8, I think) has fixed this and now supports Windows 10. Otherwise you can simply grab an older version (4.4 works), install and activate RAPID, then upgrade your version of Magician--it won't disable RAPID, even though 4.6 and 4.7 don't "support" Win10. Not really sure what you'd want to upgrade Magician for anyhow, though.

Also not surprised you had issues with 8GB of RAM, since that's not leaving a whole lot of space for RAPID to utilize after you get done setting aside chunks for Win10 and whatever else you're running (*ahem* Chrome *ahem*). 16GB is cheap these days.

950's are fun, but as you say, largely irrelevant for consumer home use. Just get a 512/1TB SSD and call it a day. Throw in a 2-4TB spinner if you want to store a lot of movies or something. Hell, better yet, build a small NAS box with a few TB of storage and stick it in another room, then play all your media bulk storage poo poo off that.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I have RAPID on on my Windows 10 laptop (it was on when I upgraded from 8.1) with 8GB of RAM and have never had any memory issues

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Thanks for the heads up on Magician having an update.

dissss posted:

I have RAPID on on my Windows 10 laptop (it was on when I upgraded from 8.1) with 8GB of RAM and have never had any memory issues
It's possible you just don't use that much memory. I had frequent paging issues with Lightroom and any moderately heavy game. (notably bad in pCARS) And that's even when I'm using Firefox with only a half dozen tabs, no Chrome gigs of RAM usage here. \/:v:\/

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
No issues with games, or Chrome with loads of tabs, or anything else - seems to be good about releasing memory when it's needed for me

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:unsmigghh: REFERENCE :unsmigghh: R9 290 for $220 right now on Newegg.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
It's actually even cheaper than that. $199 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=290-_-14-202-043-_-Product

Cut away almost the entire PCI bracket, ( http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/diy-amd-radeon-r9-290x-heatsink-mod/ ) and that would make that price okay. Heck, you can probably even reflash it to 390, and get those sneaky driver optimizations.

But at this point, for the love of all that is unholy, between XFX and now Sapphire, why the sudden resurgence in reference blowers?!?!

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I just ordered one :shepface:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Perfect for fitting with an aio. They should just bundle them with one.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's actually even cheaper than that. $199 after rebate: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=290-_-14-202-043-_-Product

Cut away almost the entire PCI bracket, ( http://semiaccurate.com/2013/11/11/diy-amd-radeon-r9-290x-heatsink-mod/ ) and that would make that price okay. Heck, you can probably even reflash it to 390, and get those sneaky driver optimizations.

But at this point, for the love of all that is unholy, between XFX and now Sapphire, why the sudden resurgence in reference blowers?!?!

Mini-ITX builds?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:unsmigghh: REFERENCE :unsmigghh: R9 290 for $220 right now on Newegg.

Have fun, the reference 290s are crazy loud and tend to hit 95c under full load pretty easily.

I had one for a time, it's a good card, it just sorta drove me nuts after a while.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 25 days!
Is it a good time to buy a mid ranged card, or are there better cards on the horizon? I plan to replace my 560ti at some point before Christmas and I have a budget of around £200-£250. it doesn't have to be that fancy and it will be used for 1080p on a small screen.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Hard to beat $200, again. Was a lot cooler of a price 1.5 years ago though.

quote:

Activision Blizzard buys 'Candy Crush' maker for $5.9 billion in mobile push

Candy Crush, a bejewelled ripoff, was purchased for four times the value of AMD- a company that created the most important parts for the most advanced technology humanity has ever achieved.

:smith:

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Fumble posted:

Is it a good time to buy a mid ranged card, or are there better cards on the horizon? I plan to replace my 560ti at some point before Christmas and I have a budget of around £200-£250. it doesn't have to be that fancy and it will be used for 1080p on a small screen.

At the top end of your budget, you could get a GTX 970.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/part/zotac-video-card-zt9010110p

Dead Goon fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 3, 2015

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I just ordered one :shepface:

Fan curve's gotta be around 50% at 50 C and 100% at 80 C. Hope you have noise cancelling headphones! :getin:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Kazinsal posted:

Fan curve's gotta be around 50% at 50 C and 100% at 80 C. Hope you have noise cancelling headphones! :getin:

Noise cancelling headphones are only good for things as loud as, say a jet engine. They arn't designed for AMD blowers

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Don Lapre posted:

Noise cancelling headphones are only good for things as loud as, say a jet engine. They arn't designed for AMD blowers

7970 blowers aren't that bad. The 290's sits squarely between "flashbang" and "shockwave point" at 100% though.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Kazinsal posted:

7970 blowers aren't that bad. The 290's sits squarely between "flashbang" and "shockwave point" at 100% though.

Some basic changes in design show it doesn't have to be that way. Maybe AMD could do a mesh bracket to improve sound, but either the fan or the heatsink has to change. Memories of 4870s leads me to believe the issue is the fan design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sounds like AMD needs to buy some TRIANGLE TECHNOLOGY from gigabyte.