Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Only this morning did I realize that my Miata, being orange, would make for a ~supa kawaii~ Jack-O-Miata with some vinyl wrap. Maybe next Halloween! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

Hikaki posted:

Yeah, just remember that with these clips you have to pry out the middle part first and then the whole thing comes out. I definitely broke the first one thinking I had to just pry the whole thing out.

Yep, those two-part ones are what mostly hold the plastic panels in iirc (plus some regular bolts/screws). Even if you manage to poke the middle part out (I used a small flathead screwdriver or the tip of a knife), it still often breaks as old plastic is prone to do. You shouldn't need to take any carpet out to get to the seatbelts, but those are held in with clips you just pull straight out. When I did that (removed lots of carpet because roll bar), about a third of them broke.

You would also need to take the "top covers" of the seatbelts to get to the big bolt underneath. They break very easily. Be very careful prying on the sides and back and you might come away with a whole one. On mine, one broke completely while the other just lost tiny bits of the plastic tabs inside that keep it in place, so while it looked ok it just wouldn't stay in place. That one I just glued in place,until I got a couple of replacement ones.
In all, if you go into it assuming you will be breaking some poo poo you will be a lot less disappointed when you're done. There's often nothing you can do about 10+ years old brittle plastic, no matter how careful you are.

Also, obviously, make sure all washers and bolts and whatnot go in the right place, as it supposedly has something to do with your safety. Most bolts for the seatbelts have a little plastic washer-ring-thing that will keep stuff from falling apart, but those little washers are also old dirty plastic that sometimes breaks. I just assume my belts work without them. I also used loctite on the bolts that hold the belt in place (top and bottom). It seemed appropriate because stuff there is supposed to move, and there was some loctite on the bolt from when it was originally installed.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Any PNW Miata nerds in the market for a Turbo 1.6? I've got a kid on the way and I just don't see how I'll be able to make a Miata for for a few years. ~110k / Greddy (15k on the kit installed, it's solid) / BBS / top in good shape / possible deal to include a hardtop. Can give more details if there is a legit interested party. I'd rather sell this thing to someone who will understand it's a turbo, and the quirks that it can involve.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
If the hardtop is red and you'd consider selling it separately, I'll buy it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Black, yes

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

ionn posted:

:words: of advice

Muffinpox posted:

NBs are pretty much the same, its really easy.

Treasure Coast Miata is nearby you and probably have some seatbelts, give them a call, I bought the new upper front control arms from of them for $35/ea.

FatCow posted:

I do, but I have no idea what the deal with shipping them would be. They are technically explosives. They have black belts.

holy poo poo, y'all are helpful as gently caress:stare:

I'm starting a new job this week after being unemployed for an annoyingly long time, so I'm gonna hit up treasurecoast once I get a check in and actually have money again. Hopefully I don't get in a crash in the meantime :v:

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

I have a question, I am kinda tallish around 6'2" or 6'3" how well would I fit in one of these things? I am of an average build and have DD many tiny cars such as an MGB, Del Sol, Fierro etc. I am just concerned as a few years ago an ex of mine was telling me how she got in one and could barely fit and it was an uncomfortable drive. She was at the time around 5'7" and also of an average build. I am kinda interested in getting one as my new DD. Thanks for any experience you guys can share with me.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm 6'1 and fit comfortably in my NA, but I probably wouldn't survive a rollover.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

blk posted:

I'm 6'1 and fit comfortably in my NA, but I probably wouldn't survive a rollover.

Thanks! I am not really worried about rollovers though. I dont rally or anything.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Why must Bose use unique form factors for their stupid speakers. Now I have to throw 80 dollars at eBay instead of finding a generic 6x9 or whatever. :mad:

Edmund Honda
Sep 27, 2003

Mr.Bob posted:

she got in one and could barely fit and it was an uncomfortable drive. She was at the time around 5'7"
5'7" is about perfect. Depending on your exact build, taller than ~5'10" can get awkward; at your height you'll probably want a change of seat with it mounted as low as possible.

Great Beer posted:

Why must Bose use unique form factors for their stupid speakers. Now I have to throw 80 dollars at eBay instead of finding a generic 6x9 or whatever. :mad:
Don't forget their unique impedance as well.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Mr.Bob posted:

I have a question, I am kinda tallish around 6'2" or 6'3" how well would I fit in one of these things? I am of an average build and have DD many tiny cars such as an MGB, Del Sol, Fierro etc. I am just concerned as a few years ago an ex of mine was telling me how she got in one and could barely fit and it was an uncomfortable drive. She was at the time around 5'7" and also of an average build. I am kinda interested in getting one as my new DD. Thanks for any experience you guys can share with me.

If your inseam is greater than 32" I'd imagine you'd start having issues with knees in the dashboard, otherwise you should be fine unless are exceptionally over weight.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Dameius posted:

If your inseam is greater than 32" I'd imagine you'd start having issues with knees in the dashboard, otherwise you should be fine unless are exceptionally over weight.

Darn. it is 34".

Applesnots fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 2, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Which generation? My inseam is 34 and I drive an NC with no issues.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I actually move the seat forward in NAs and NBs for a more comfortable position with a 34 inch inseam. That's more for my arms to be comfortable though. I remove the dead pedal and let my left foot rest on the floor, that combined with "gutted" seats fits me very comfortably.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Anyone nearish Wisconsin looking for a hard top? I have an NB-era hard top in decent condition (the type with the defroster grid) I'm trying to sell, and I'm not getting any bites from local Craigslist. It's red, a couple faded spots in the paint but otherwise in good condition.

My miata itself is dead and no longer worth repairing (as it kills my back), so I'm selling the hard top to acquire a down payment for a new car.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Edmund Honda posted:

Don't forget their unique impedance as well.

I don't know what this means. Does it affect my ability to drop an eBay Bose speaker in to the door?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Great Beer posted:

My car burned down today because of a mismatch of impedance on my car's speakers. :rip:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The one I'm looking at is from an NB. Even pulled from one the same model year as mine. It shouldn't be that bad right? :ohdear:

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

The Bose stuff uses 0.5 ohm impedence (I think. something weird anyway). That means that you can't just replace speakers or just the amp; you have to replace both.

I think there's something from Clearwater that converts the signal, but I doubt it's worth buying that instead of just replacing everything.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

craig588 posted:

I actually move the seat forward in NAs and NBs for a more comfortable position with a 34 inch inseam. That's more for my arms to be comfortable though. I remove the dead pedal and let my left foot rest on the floor, that combined with "gutted" seats fits me very comfortably.

That's one of the reasons why I added a quick release hub and a smaller wheel, you can do the same thing with a steering wheel spacer too. That and a foamectomy definitely made the driving position a lot more comfortable.

Mr.Bob posted:

Darn. it is 34".

Other things people have done:

-Smaller diameter steering wheel
-Steering wheel spacer
-Aftermarket seat on a fixed seat mount
-Arm rest removal

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Great Beer posted:

I don't know what this means. Does it affect my ability to drop an eBay Bose speaker in to the door?

Bose systems aren't worth putting in a car unless they are free and yours is already broken.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I wear 36/37" leg jeans and my knees magically fit between the wheel and dash in an NA. If my shins were a couple of inches longer(!) or shorter though I'd have problems.

I do desperately need to lower the seating position before I drive it again though so I don't nut the pavement if I roll over one day.

*E* For reference, I absolutely can't fit in an FR-S/BRZ because my knees and the wheel end up trying to intersect each other. Cars fit weirdly. :shrug:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nocheez posted:

Bose systems aren't worth putting in a car unless they are free and yours is already broken.

The NB came with them and one is indeed broken. My options are to replace the entire stereo system or shove one new speaker in. Which apparently will set fire to my car so I cant even do that.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It's not that it will set your car on fire, it's that they aren't very good to begin with and seem to break regularly. I used to drive Nissans and they alwats seemed to have issues with those stereos.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I think I've explained what I'm trying to do poorly. I have the bose speakers in the car already. They came in it from the factory. One of thems broken. I was going to take out the broken bose speaker and put in a salvaged bose speaker. Are those systems seriously so badly designed I cant do this? Because I'd rather have one working speaker than rewire the entire thing.

Great Beer fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 3, 2015

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's the matching Bose speaker it should be fine. They're more warning you not to replace it with a random speaker.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Anyone nearish Wisconsin looking for a hard top? I have an NB-era hard top in decent condition (the type with the defroster grid) I'm trying to sell, and I'm not getting any bites from local Craigslist. It's red, a couple faded spots in the paint but otherwise in good condition.

My miata itself is dead and no longer worth repairing (as it kills my back), so I'm selling the hard top to acquire a down payment for a new car.
Details on the Miata? I may be interested in all of it. Where in WI?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

destructo posted:

Details on the Miata? I may be interested in all of it. Where in WI?

Madison. And the actual miata is literally full of rust, broken springs , shot brakes, etc. Motor is fine and the radiator is new though. It's a 94, c package with the torsen diff. Interior is in pretty bad shape too . I've had the car since college and I wasn't always such good steward of it. If you're just looking to strip it for drive train parts it could be needs suiting. Also, I have flying miata sway bars on there and a racing beat exhaust.
Oh, and I have enkei rpf-1s on there right now if you or anyone is interested in those. I have the stock wheels with some winter tires in the garage that I would put back on otherwise.

If you want more info, hit up we.are.hugh@gmail.com, and post here to let me know because I only check that email for when I need to post an email address in public.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6ZNGMFePQA

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I guess I should clarify that "start having issues" is different than "it won't work." I am 30" inseam and fit just fine, my brother is 34" inseam and was barely in there and didn't feel comfortable doing a long drive. You could definitely make it work, but will just have to actually see in person. I have an 06 NC for reference.

urakawa
Feb 6, 2012
Got an alignment today. The car feels tons better. Best $80 I've spent.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Anybody got some OEM alloys laying around they don't want? Or any alloy that's 4x100 for that matter. I need a set for my Protege.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Ugh, I just cracked the tombstone in my 90 changing out the radio. I see new replacements on ebay, but does anyone have one in good condition they'd like to sell?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I was complaining to another Miata driving buddy about how I can't tow my motorcycle anymore now that I have a Miata, and he sent me this:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

urakawa posted:

Got an alignment today. The car feels tons better. Best $80 I've spent.

I did the same thing (well, with my Volvo) and it drives a lot better now.

I don't even know what these numbers mean. Point is: getting the tires re-aligned is pretty cheap but will save you a ton in both costs later on (tires will wear out faster otherwise) and the driving experience.

Grawl fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 8, 2015

HairyNipple!
Dec 31, 2004

hello i am fast cheap awesome
I've been lucky enough to find some spare 10AE seats so I figure I might try the foamectomy on them. I have held off on doing it so far because I didn't want to ruin my only set of matching seats.

Has anybody here removed foam from the bottom of their NB1 seats? I'm about 6'1"-6'2", and I just fit in my car, with my head just hitting the roof in the mornings. After a day of slouching at the computer at work, I fit fine in the afternoons. I've looked up the procedure and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll just use zip ties to reattach the cover.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So my GF picked up a 93 miata on the cheap with high idle. Putting it into diagnostic mode does not change idle (but gives code No NE signal). pinching off the PCV vac line or the other line highlighted in the attached image cause the idle to come back to normal. Any ideas? Tomorrow Im getting carb cleaner, an new PCV hose, and gasket material (to check for vac leacks, fix the cracked PCV hose I broke testing, and to seal off the cold idle air valve).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I don't get why a bunch of people are bitching about body roll on the ND

e: need to add the second pic to make sure everyone here knows that i bought the brembos

Phone fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol look at that wheel gap