Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Yeah... I guess. I don't even know what killed him. Pretty much the entire Dark Room died in the same exact way. After I took that screenshot, I got Explosivo (sticky bomb shot) and that fucker got so big I couldn't even tell what was happening anymore so ... I didn't shoot for the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

This expansion is even more wonderfully broken than it already was. I've recently gotten a set up that infinitely generates pickups and chests all on its own and keeps crashing every time I try to use a bomb. Turn out key bum + greedy bum + sack head + a bunch of luck ups and so on basically results in infinite items, tied on top of chaos and I've gotten almost literally every item in the game at once. Too bad mom's knife seems to prioritise over everything so I don't have any goofy bigger than room sized tears oneshotting everything.
I think my favourite new item is Chaos, though. Walking into an item room and finding godhead is amazing, and so is walking into a devil deal and getting breakfast for 1 heart. It's too bad it seems to result in getting the default Breakfast 99% of the time once the item pool is nearly empty, though.

Einwand fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 3, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Even by itself Sack Head is loving ridiculous.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

This is my first experience with Rebirth, so that's fun. Afterbirth seems like kind of wet fart though. There just doesn't seem to be much there. I have to say that releasing an expansion then, after people have already bought it, straight-out saying that half of it won't be released until they solve a puzzle like you're loving Professor Layton is amazing, in an extremely petulant-child/rear end in a top hat sort of way.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have to say that even though a lot of it is pretty flawed(the challenges suck and I won't do them, I'll just download someone's save later), I still have really really enjoyed afterbirth. There's a lot of dope new items, greed mode is fun, lilith is fun, the nail shot item is the most satisfying thing to kill enemies with in the whole game, and having lots of new synergies owns. Like before there was no change to brimstone with monstro's lung, or my reflection, or proptosis or lots of other poo poo. hush owns too

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Yinlock posted:

This is my first experience with Rebirth, so that's fun. Afterbirth seems like kind of wet fart though. There just doesn't seem to be much there. I have to say that releasing an expansion then, after people have already bought it, straight-out saying that half of it won't be released until they solve a puzzle like you're loving Professor Layton is amazing, in an extremely petulant-child/rear end in a top hat sort of way.

The good thing about ARGs is that if you're like me and think they are annoying then you don't have to do a single thing and will get the content anyway. Like those millions of potatos that were grind-ed out in various video games so that I could play Portal 2 like 6 hours earlier.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Basement XL, first boss is Rag Man... second boss is Rag Man :geno:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm torn, because I love a good ARG, I love a good stupid video game puzzle. But the fact that it feels like a ton of content was locked out simply out of a weird measure of spite towards fans/players for solving the last stupid video game puzzle "too fast" is a little...eeehhhhh

I'm not disappointed with what's present in Afterbirth as much as I'm disappointed that it's so buggy. Rebirth felt so tightly put together when I purchased it, Afterbirth feels a little sloppy. Fun! But sloppy. Lilith is my new favorite character so I can't really complain. I think I'd be disappointed if I had purchased it at the $10.99 pricepoint instead of $6.66? But as it stands I'm pretty satisfied, and I'll be really interested in seeing how this plays out.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 3, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Just beat Ultra Greed as The Lost. drat I need a drink after that poo poo haha.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

Just beat Ultra Greed as The Lost. drat I need a drink after that poo poo haha.

The secret boss and Mega Satan with The Lost are going to give me nightmares. :(

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I think the thing to be disappointed about more than anything is how often the cool new superboss's doorway just outright crashes people's games, coupled with Ed and Tyrone being super busy being super trolly with their ARG nonsense on twitch and twitter. They have acknowledged the crashing issue and that they're working on solutions first for people who can't boot the game period and then for the Hush thing, but it still feels lovely when it's interspersed with Ed saying "slow the gently caress down" and "look to la luna bitches" like his coy teasing about puzzles isn't frustrating to those people who haven't been able to experience all of that content that is currently in the game because of those crashes.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

I think the thing to be disappointed about more than anything is how often the cool new superboss's doorway just outright crashes people's games, coupled with Ed and Tyrone being super busy being super trolly with their ARG nonsense on twitch and twitter. They have acknowledged the crashing issue and that they're working on solutions first for people who can't boot the game period and then for the Hush thing, but it still feels lovely when it's interspersed with Ed saying "slow the gently caress down" and "look to la luna bitches" like his coy teasing about puzzles isn't frustrating to those people who haven't been able to experience all of that content that is currently in the game because of those crashes.

Edmund did tweet that there was a patch coming in the middle of this week sometime to fix a bunch of issues so :shrug:

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

nerdbot posted:

I'm torn, because I love a good ARG, I love a good stupid video game puzzle. But the fact that it feels like a ton of content was locked out simply out of a weird measure of spite towards fans/players for solving the last stupid video game puzzle "too fast" is a little...eeehhhhh

I'm not disappointed with what's present in Afterbirth as much as I'm disappointed that it's so buggy. Rebirth felt so tightly put together when I purchased it, Afterbirth feels a little sloppy. Fun! But sloppy. Lilith is my new favorite character so I can't really complain. I think I'd be disappointed if I had purchased it at the $10.99 pricepoint instead of $6.66? But as it stands I'm pretty satisfied, and I'll be really interested in seeing how this plays out.

I think this about sums up my feelings on it.

If the secret stuff was just a new character and its associated unlocks like The Lost, I'd be totally fine with it, and this doesn't feel like that.

That, combined with how buggy and messy all of this seems on release, makes it just seem like they didn't finish or focused too much on this grand puzzle instead of making sure the actual game worked.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The nightlight is really cool, but I play with a loving keyboard so it's totally not worth the effort to use.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hush is really not a fight for Azazel without real range or orbitals :stare: Got phase 2 to half health without getting hit. Barely survived to 25% with 12 hearts.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Couple of observations;
Number One doesn't reduce the range on Lilith's incubus, which makes it incredibly powerful
Proptosis with Brimstone makes Brimstone do less and less damage the further away it is from you, to the point of doing barely any damage at all once it reaches the other side of the room :(

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
I was really digging The Guardian challenge until spikes insta-killed me even though I had 5 HP. I guess I can't play that one until they patch it. I was also digging Blue Bomber until I got hosed over on not having flying so I couldn't reach some wall spiders.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ErIog posted:

I was really digging The Guardian challenge until spikes insta-killed me even though I had 5 HP. I guess I can't play that one until they patch it. I was also digging Blue Bomber until I got hosed over on not having flying so I couldn't reach some wall spiders.

The funny thing is, the original suggestion on Reddit gave Blue Baby flight to avoid situations like that. I don't know why they ignored that part of the suggestion.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
well, just beat Speed with like 5 minutes remaining or something because the game gave me glass cannon on my second item room

that was pretty fun actually mostly because I had no spirit hearts for a while so I was running around at 1/2 a heart for a floor or two

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

BJPaskoff posted:

There was some interview with him about this where they asked him and Tyrone if they were upset about the datamining, and they just laughed it off like heh, nah, we just don't know why people would try to burn through the game so fast.

That was it though. Literally everything else he's said about The Lost before and after that interview has made him sound really pissed about how it was discovered.

Dumbass put in achievements with The Lost's name in them, then expected no one to datamine what the gently caress it was or how to unlock it, then was stunned and pissy after they did just that. If he really wanted his precious snowflake character to be secret, maybe don't explicitly reference him! I dunno. I'm no game dev, but that seems like a pretty good way to keep people off the trail for a little longer.

Worst part was, weren't the people searching the intended way getting really close to figuring things out anyway? Like oh no, they would've figured it out in another few days but you spoiled it a little early, now I'm gonna make the expansion's secret stuff an even bigger pain in the rear end and sit here wiggling my dick at you until you figure it out!

He's basically just begging the datamining crowd to double down, at which point he'll stomp his feet and go to his room to sulk and also continue not working on Mewgenics. He's dicking over everyone because a handful of people figured out his absolutely-not-a-secret character's unlock method the 'wrong' way.

Didn't at least one of the guys also seem shocked that people had already busted the Greed Mode donation machine? Reset until you get a blood bank on the 1st floor, get a few cents and the IV bag, congratulations you've won. Like, there are ways to easily game the system. Probably a mistake to have included it in the list of things that could spawn if they wanted the mode to be a genuine challenge.

I wonder if the console release delay is more for allowing there to be a singular focused search for the new hidden poo poo than anything else. I wish they'd spend as much time squashing bugs as they did doing dumb stuff to hide content away from prying eyes. The PS4 version still has trophies that refuse to pop. I know at least one person who's had the same issues on the Xbone.

Maybe there's some way to get to the secret boss another way, and that ties to the Blue Womb? Because the entrance to [???] is the same as the one that leads to the Womb. Wonder if anyone's been dicking around in that area with a teleporter or something. Speculating is pointless because it could be anything. A specific item combination in a specific location in under a specific time, getting killed by the fifth volley of Continuum shots the new boss shoots out while holding a certain trinket, beating end bosses in certain ways. Anything could be fair game after how The Lost's unlock went.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Can anyone post any actual quotes from Ed McMillen where he is super pissy about the data mining thing? All I can really remember him saying is something like "meh, that kinda sucks," but people on the internet are talking about it like he went into full meltdown mode like that Fez guy or something.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

CJacobs posted:

The good thing about ARGs is that if you're like me and think they are annoying then you don't have to do a single thing and will get the content anyway. Like those millions of potatos that were grind-ed out in various video games so that I could play Portal 2 like 6 hours earlier.

This is also true! But it just seems kind of weird and pointless. Dude's trying to recover from some terminal ego damage and dragging his game down with him.

Also I never thought of the IV bag shenanigans and I still busted the greed machine in like 3-4 runs. It's not exactly hard to do. I have no idea why anyone would be surprised unless there was a serious lack of testing going on, and there's way too much evidence of exactly that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Even if you don't do the IV Bag thing you get at least 15 coins per floor in Greed Mode so unless you buy items constantly and get hit a bunch in the last fight you'll fill up the machine pretty quick.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

GB Bug with Lilith is so loving cool if you can get like 3 of them bouncing around. In Greed Mode it completely rules for her.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Panniculus Rift posted:

Can anyone post any actual quotes from Ed McMillen where he is super pissy about the data mining thing? All I can really remember him saying is something like "meh, that kinda sucks," but people on the internet are talking about it like he went into full meltdown mode like that Fez guy or something.

http://rebrn.com/re/the-binding-of-isaac-rebirth-developers-express-disappointment-o-368379/

It's basically them getting super mad about it then pretending they don't care in the same interview, it's amazing.

quote:

Vinny: You guys put a lot of secrets in Isaac, a lot of codes, a lot of seeds. I remember how you didn't want people to discover them right away. My question to you guys is-

Edmund: You already loving hosed it up! They hosed it up.

Tyrone: They swallowed a hundred dollar steak in one bite.

E: Yep. It's... man. Tyrone's analogy is right. It's true. They couldn't resist it, they had to break it apart. And even though people were actively working on some of the biggest secrets that would have taken awhile to unfold, they said "NOOOOO! I WANT IT ALL NOW!"

V: And then they spoiled it for the rest of us.

E: It's disheartening. It sucks because we're gonna start working on an expansion soon, but we sure as hell aren't gonna loving take all the time that it took - especially with Simon, who tried his best to really bury the stuff so it would deter people from doing this, but all they see is a challenge, so they're going to dive right in and do it anyway. I can say right now that I don't think the expansion is going to feature any buried secrets that anybody will care about.

Look how much he doesn't care, you guys.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 3, 2015

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Panniculus Rift posted:

I wasn't around for this, but there's one quote about the subject that I have seen floating around to the effect of "it's like you all ate a hundred-dollar steak in one bite" which loving cracks me up.

edit:

Undertale leaves a few messages hidden in the data to the effect of "hey it's cool if you wanna poke around but please don't leak any secrets out to the internet until the game's been out for a while." And guess what, people actually respected that. Similarly, dataminers and modders are being chill about keeping their findings isolated and to themselves for Afterbirth. It turns out...all you have to do is ask

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Nov 3, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ErIog posted:

I was also digging Blue Bomber until I got hosed over on not having flying so I couldn't reach some wall spiders.

Bomb the door to open it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nerdbot posted:

I wasn't around for this, but there's one quote about the subject that I have seen floating around to the effect of "it's like you all ate a hundred-dollar steak in one bite" which loving cracks me up.

That was Tyrone, although Edmund agreed

edit: beat by a country mile, this is why I should refresh pages

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Bomb the door to open it.

It was the room before the boss.

Pannus
Mar 14, 2004

Yinlock posted:

http://rebrn.com/re/the-binding-of-isaac-rebirth-developers-express-disappointment-o-368379/

It's basically them getting super mad about it then pretending they don't care in the same interview, it's amazing.

Look how much he doesn't care, you guys.

Ah alright, that's a bit saltier than I remembered. I can kinda understand them though, they obviously put some work into the puzzle and wanted people to solve it properly to discover the Lost. But as far as I remember, people were literally hours away from solving the puzzle anyway, so it didn't make much of a difference.

It makes sense that any secrets are buried deeper now, I don't mind that at all. I just think it's cool that there's even more to Afterbirth than what I've seen so far.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh god drat it.

quote:

Over 100 hours of MORE gameplay

109. We have to play the game for 109 hours and then the missing content will unlock. That's it, isn't it?

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

Uh, guys? I broke greed mode.

It started out by getting 99 Bombs in the item room. And then I got Dr. Fetus in the shop. And then there was a button in the shop that spawned my full donation machine.

Yeah.

One of my first purchases was Chaos, which randomizes the item pools. Que me getting tons of holy items and Glitter Bombs, which make items appear when they explode. To make it better, the item room on the next floor contained whatever item it is that causes your bombs to explode into a lot of smaller bombs. And this stacks with Glitter Bombs.

Basically every floor just ended up totally littered with items and soul hearts and I had enough shield items that I barely ever got hit. I will never have a run as good as that again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

ErIog posted:

It was the room before the boss.

Welp.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Panniculus Rift posted:

I just think it's cool that there's even more to Afterbirth than what I've seen so far.

I like there being secrets but when the secrets amount to "you can't solve this until we say so," it promptly becomes uninteresting to me, especially when it means gating off content. It's not clever, it's just literally impossible until they say so.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

You drive a hard bargain, Satan...

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

You drive a hard bargain, Satan...

Break even, get another item. I'd say it's a win-win.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

just started a greed mode run as eden and hey whaddaya know

edit: Here's the seed.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Nov 3, 2015

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

nerdbot posted:

Undertale leaves a few messages hidden in the data to the effect of "hey it's cool if you wanna poke around but please don't leak any secrets out to the internet until the game's been out for a while." And guess what, people actually respected that. Similarly, dataminers and modders are being chill about keeping their findings isolated and to themselves for Afterbirth. It turns out...all you have to do is ask

Guess what! There was a nice textfile in rebirth, too. People just chose to have a bad time

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

xf86enodev posted:

People just chose to have a bad time

Nobody had a bad time. People enjoyed the game the way they wanted to enjoy the game and nothing was ruined. It's not like the Isaac community died prematurely because everything in Rebirth got unlocked within a week. People played WotL for years before Rebirth. People continued to play Rebirth despite everything having been found out and unlocked. People will continue to play Afterbirth even when all the secrets are found. Isaac is not an MMO where people resub after expansions and then quit after a month.

Oh boo hoo for Edmund, poo poo tons of people like his game enough to spend lots of hours diving through the data files to unlock more content in it. Woe is him. It must feel terrible.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

nerdbot posted:

Hell no they didn't.

edit: And hell no they aren't.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Nov 3, 2015