Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Golden Goat posted:

It sounds like they made their own story unrelated to FFVI at all.

I'll give it a shot later but man it's probably going to be awful.
If you get to the point where you fight the Saibamen, you're already further than I would have made it if I wasn't just watching cleartonic stream it.

(That's the Vargas pre-fight.)

(The main character is Cloud.)

The music is actually awesome though, it's all stolen from other games but it's all good choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Welp gently caress that thought that it would avoid being fanfiction.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

If you get to the point where you fight the Saibamen, you're already further than I would have made it if I wasn't just watching cleartonic stream it.

(That's the Vargas pre-fight.)

The music is actually awesome though, it's all stolen from other games but it's all good choices.

lol Saibamen. The description sounded faintly promising but this is just a gamefaqs-level crossover isn't it?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Can't be worse than the ff7 hack with Judax Ishcariot or whatever that character's name was

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Can't be worse than the ff7 hack with Judax Ishcariot or whatever that character's name was

I'd tell you the name, but I don't wanna hang myself on the details.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Please let me know about this dumb ffvii hack.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Golden Goat posted:

From what I remember the guy replaced Cait Sith with an Original Character named a variation of Judas because "Cait Sith didn't fit the tone of the game where you are molested by burly men in a colorful Inn in the area right before you fight evil possessed houses and a guy who laughs like a retard's dumb robot".

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
You Judas! You beat me to it.

Golden Goat posted:

It was a dumb translation patch where the the dude hated cait sith so much he replaced him and his character models with a new TOTALLY ORIGINAL character named Iscar Matthias.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You give the dude too much credit since he never actually did anything, just talked about it

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It was extra funny because the description introduces the retranslation as staying true to the original Japanese script and 'fixing' all the translation changes and then... Matthias

No Dignity fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 3, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that's also where you get CRIME HAZARD from

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

zedprime posted:

Willow is the prequel to Leprechaun and also includes Val Kilmer cross dressing, but even as a Willow and FF13 fan I'm going to need the comparison laid out in detail because FF13 is missing some important stuff like the Leprechaun, and Val Kilmer cross dressing.

Hope is Willow and Lightning is Val Kilmer as a lady and Snow is Val Kilmer is a dude. The pulse l'cie are the brownies, Lightning's sister is the witch's daughter and the warring witches are the fal'cie. It's just so totally obvious.

... that I drunk-posted the original sentiment after seeing "FF9 is literally dragon ball" and wanted to make another improbable comparison.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

corn in the bible posted:

that's also where you get CRIME HAZARD from

Also the insistence on "moguru"

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

He should have just named him "BETRAYO THE BETRAYAL BOT"

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
People that retranslate games are the worst.

One of the more popular re-translations for Esper in VI was to leave it as Genjuu. Great translation idea there; let's not even try to translate the word. Hell, might as well leave the whole game in Japanese.

And then there are people who think the appropriate localization for ケアル (kearu) is somehow keal, and not Cure.

I got way too mad at translation FAQs/patches as a teenager.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Theoretically retranslations should be a good thing, since some games could really use them, but the only people that bother are loony weeaboos.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

People that retranslate games are the worst.

One of the more popular re-translations for Esper in VI was to leave it as Genjuu. Great translation idea there; let's not even try to translate the word. Hell, might as well leave the whole game in Japanese.

And then there are people who think the appropriate localization for ケアル (kearu) is somehow keal, and not Cure.

I got way too mad at translation FAQs/patches as a teenager.

Well, Phantom Beast doesn't fit in a SNES text box, duh

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

To be fair, the official translations do that to some degree as well, like having Zantetsuken and Renzokuken instead of Iron-Cutting Sword or Repeating Sword. Of course plot-important terms are a different matter from ability names and such, so it's still quite dumb.

But yeah, re-translations tend to be universally bad for some reason even though there are a lot of really good fan translations. I guess it just comes down to the latter being much more common than the former so at least some of them are bound to be done by competent people even if most aren't.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Kanfy posted:

To be fair, the official translations do that to some degree as well, like having Zantetsuken and Renzokuken instead of Iron-Cutting Sword or Repeating Sword. Of course plot-important terms are a different matter from ability names and such, so it's still quite dumb.

But yeah, re-translations tend to be universally bad for some reason even though there are a lot of really good fan translations. I guess it just comes down to the latter being much more common than the former so at least some of them are bound to be done by competent people even if most aren't.

That edges into the age-old debate of stylization over literal translation; I think it popped up in the FFVII LP thread, over when and where it's appropriate to use an untranslated term in an otherwise translated work.

A lot of the problems of re-translation for mods and things seems to stem from that massive egotism that most of them possess - it doesn't become about the work they're doing, rather an exercise for their ego. Case in point, the FFVII one, changing the established "Moogle" to "Moguri", but keeping "Omnislash" over "Chōkyūbushinhazan" ("Super Mega War God Slash") for no other reason than a lack of consistancy.

Also claiming that you're translating the authors' orignal intent...and then inserting Issac Matthias (OC Do Not Steal) in place of a character whom you dislike.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Did that guy ever actually release any of his proposed FF7 mod? I remember going through the google spreadsheet he had for translating and getting a laugh but as of now, I haven't actually heard about any of that stuff materializing.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

bloodychill posted:

Did that guy ever actually release any of his proposed FF7 mod? I remember going through the google spreadsheet he had for translating and getting a laugh but as of now, I haven't actually heard about any of that stuff materializing.

I think they dropped doing Cait-Judas, but they did release a retranslation this year, IIRC.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

all the spreadsheet stuff was indeed implemented, and you can use it in both the ps1 and pc versions. but none of the other poo poo he wanted to do has been because it would have involved work

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I can't abandon my nakama

*five-page essay about why they won't translate certain words*

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

The White Dragon posted:

I can't abandon my nakama

*five-page essay about why they won't translate certain words*

FFVII Mod posted:

With "canon", one has to realise that every language has its own, and thus the original vision is watered down and inconsistent from place to place. This is the whole point of why we threw canon out. Some are very angry that we have used "Moguri" and not "Moogle", but look at other countries and you will see they have correctly used "Moguri" and so forth. It ended up Moogle simply due to an initial mistake; a mistake that has not been corrected.

[...]

People who think we should make 100 allowances to appease fanbase are not thinking straight. No one has the right to butcher another person's work. There are French, German, Japanese and Chinese cultures in Final Fantasy VII, among others. These need to be preserved, the same way they are in Japanese game. Taking things away from the game is diluting the genius and art of the game itself, as well as blatantly ignoring the writers' wishes.
[...]
Arguments based on nostalgia or on canon are flawed and counter productive. Fanboyism is a mental illness.

Well Moguri was kept in the Spanish and Italian versions of localized games, but in any case by that logic Chocobo should have been changed to something like Chocoba in English seeing as it's (allegedly) taken from a Japanese snack called Chocoball. I don't think the English translators were aiming to change Moguri to better fit a western audience, surely they would have done the same for many other things? Or more to the point why didn't the Italian translators of FFIX call it "Talpistrello" or something similar?

[...]
Moguri is the correct name. You can keep the incorrect moogle (canon or not, it's incorrect. Other non-english cannon also opt not to use Moogle, which came about because they saw "ri" and made it an l) with the options in the installer. Keeping Moguri for singular as well as plural, is a possibility.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 3, 2015

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Moguri is a stupid word. I am all for localizations that change stupid words into not-stupid words.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is this only a thing with Japanese stuff

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Baal posted:

in japan they do this with american stuff and its loving hilarious

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Baal posted:

I'm entirely certain there are 90 year old professors getting into fisticuffs in the library over translations of obscure Greek texts somewhere

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Baal posted:

It's not. But because you're a giant loving nerd and most non-english video games are in Japanese, you have tunnel vision. People act like loving retards in all languages about all languages. It's always loving stupid.

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm entirely certain there are 90 year old professors getting into fisticuffs in the library over translations of obscure Greek texts somewhere

You have no idea...

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

quote:

The temple scene is badly translated though and gives the impression that Cait is a person who will die... in the actual translation he makes mention that he is just a mechanical toy who is expendable. Cait is not alive... it is just a robot that Reeve uses to talk through and who is controlled by Reeve. In my opinion the silliest character in FF universe... because as a main arc character you cannot suspend disbelief to him. This is the whole reason that one of my mods aims to write him out of the story completely in favour of a human Shin-Ra Spy.

quote:

No one has the right to butcher another person's work. [...] These need to be preserved, the same way they are in Japanese game. Taking things away from the game is diluting the genius and art of the game itself, as well as blatantly ignoring the writers' wishes.

:thumbsup:

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
so what were bloodpacts like in the japanese version of fire emblem

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

General Morden posted:

so what were bloodpacts like in the japanese version of fire emblem

I'm not your monkey.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is understanding/comprehension of japanese by japanese people noticeably different than english in the u.s. the reason i ask is lots of animes will have a comparatively unusual amount of dialogue about someone not understanding or being unclear on how to correctly interpret a word. is this like how yoshi-hashi can't read kanji

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

epitasis posted:

is understanding/comprehension of japanese by japanese people noticeably different than english in the u.s. the reason i ask is lots of animes will have a comparatively unusual amount of dialogue about someone not understanding or being unclear on how to correctly interpret a word. is this like how yoshi-hashi can't read kanji

My japanese teacher in college said that a fairly large percentage of people in Japan can't read the newspaper because they don't know enough kanji but that may have been her old crotchety view of "kids these days."

I would guess that there are certainly dumb or undereducated people who aren't good at language like literally every other nation.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 3, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

epitasis posted:

Well I mean on a fundamental level we really only have the one alphabet while they have multiple syllabary such as Katakana, Hiragana, Kanji etc. Adding in that characters can share a sound but can mean different things? I would say that it would be very noticeably different.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

epitasis posted:

literacy is good wrt hiragana and so on, because it's phonetic. so, much like other languages, if you know what the symbols mean you can figure out what the word sounds like and thus understand it even if you've never seen it written down before. but remember that there are an insane amount of kanji, which are not phonetic and can even have multiple possible meanings. so it's very reasonable for someone to come across a word and be literally incapable of understanding it in any way

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The difficulty in Japanese comes mostly from Kanji which are written in all kinds of different ways, are in an insane number, and it's not a very phonetic writing so it's very easy to get mixed up. I think you need knowledge of some 10,000 kanji to be considered in being fluent in the language over there which is pretty drat nuts if the people I've talked to are right. If the entire language were literally just hiragana and katakana then the hardest hump to get over would be grammar and particles, which I still struggle with because it's loving annoying.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

You loving idiots just can't comprehend the literal artistic genius of these random rear end katakana I threw together for this mascot character, gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let's just compromise and call Chocobos horsebirds like Iscar Matthias would have wanted.