Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

this but also for rooting for your team to lose in general.

Even in the situation the Bucs were in last year where they clearly tanked the final game against the Saints after having a lead? I wouldn't say I was actively rooting but it was more of a "what the gently caress are you idiots doing" and then just laughing to my self watching them pull starters. It was all such a clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is like the end of the Futurama dog episode to me :smith:

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Magnus Gallant posted:

I've watched a lot of really bad qbs start being a panthers fan.

Jake delhomme was good until he wasn't.

Chris wienke was never good.

Derek Carr was alright for a game or two.

Matt Moore looked pretty good once.

Luke mccown is good.

David Carr you mean.

YMB
Nov 8, 2009

in an unceremonious way

Magnus Gallant posted:

Then he threw five ints in a playoff game after we went 12-4

On his own birthday, no less!

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Always root for your team to win, why the gently caress else are you idiot nerds watching sports

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ross Angeles posted:

Always root for your team to win, why the gently caress else are you idiot nerds watching sports

Sometimes it's also fun to root for other teams to lose

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ross Angeles posted:

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The face of a man coached by Mike McCoy

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Stunt Rock posted:

David Carr you mean.

You're right.

Derek is doing well for the raiders.

This game made me so sad and made me hate the cardinals.

The cardinals defensive players talking poo poo about the entire panthers team after that game made me so angry.

It wasn't the panthers fault. It's was delhommes fault!!!! Gosh that was a bad year. I almost bought tickets to that game. so glad I didn't otherwise I would have murdered delhomme.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I do like delhomme though. He played great/okay football while he was with us. He did what we needed him to.

The thing that made no sense was us giving him a 100 million contact for 5 years after his 5 int game

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

Even in the situation the Bucs were in last year where they clearly tanked the final game against the Saints after having a lead? I wouldn't say I was actively rooting but it was more of a "what the gently caress are you idiots doing" and then just laughing to my self watching them pull starters. It was all such a clusterfuck.

I remember in 2010 the Bengals were leading a last minute comeback drive against the Ravens in week 17 where they needed a touchdown to win. They got to 1st and goal and then ran 3 trash plays followed by Carson Palmer sailing the ball 8 feet over the head of a wide open running back in the flat on 4th down. I still get pissed off when I think about that even though it let us draft AJ Green

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

I remember in 2010 the Bengals were leading a last minute comeback drive against the Ravens in week 17 where they needed a touchdown to win. They got to 1st and goal and then ran 3 trash plays followed by Carson Palmer sailing the ball 8 feet over the head of a wide open running back in the flat on 4th down. I still get pissed off when I think about that even though it let us draft AJ Green

Intentionally losing is bullshit

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

I was being sarcastic, and I'm not near as big of an NFL fan as I am college so maybe that's the difference. If Tennessee pulled some poo poo like that I would have lost it.

Maybe I've just become so apathetic towards the Bucs that I just don't care anymore. I watch the games if I can and I root for them to win but I don't get fired up at all. During UT games I'll go hoarse yelling at the TV.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

I was being sarcastic, and I'm not near as big of an NFL fan as I am college so maybe that's the difference. If Tennessee pulled some poo poo like that I would have lost it.

Maybe I've just become so apathetic towards the Bucs that I just don't care anymore. I watch the games if I can and I root for them to win but I don't get fired up at all. During UT games I'll go hoarse yelling at the TV.

That's just because the bucs have been so bad for so long you expect the loss.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

awwww here it goes

*kenan and kel theme plays*

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Quest For Glory II posted:

awwww here it goes

*kenan and kel theme plays*

Lmao

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Shath Hole posted:

I was hoping the Falcons/Panthers games would decide the division, but the way Atlanta keeps making GBS threads themselves on a weekly basis there is no way that is happening.

I think the Panthers will come back a bit. I don't expect them to beat the Pack next week, they get the Cowboys on Thanksgiving when Antonio Romo is probably going to be back, and travel to New York for the Giants in late December.

Looking over the Falcons remaining schedule, they've still got another game against both the Bucs and Saints, and aside from those I see a floor of 3 wins (the only game I see being questionable is the Vikings). Then you've got the two with Carolina in the last four weeks of the season.

Those games are still going to be very important.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

ozymandius1024 posted:

I think the Panthers will come back a bit. I don't expect them to beat the Pack next week, they get the Cowboys on Thanksgiving when Antonio Romo is probably going to be back, and travel to New York for the Giants in late December.

Looking over the Falcons remaining schedule, they've still got another game against both the Bucs and Saints, and aside from those I see a floor of 3 wins (the only game I see being questionable is the Vikings). Then you've got the two with Carolina in the last four weeks of the season.

Those games are still going to be very important.

Yeah those are going to be important and probably very exciting close games.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Shadow225 posted:

Are you aware of the reputation that the average football fan has, or are you being intentionally oblivious.

I don't really care about dudes with trucks in Oklahoma. The American rugby fanbase is a bunch of ostensibly college-educated people who should know better.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Kazak_Hstan posted:

I don't really care about dudes with trucks in Oklahoma. The American rugby fanbase is a bunch of ostensibly college-educated people who should know better.

I enjoy rugby because I played rugby when I lived in England from 96-99. But I don't watch it, football is the perfect alternative.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

GaussianCopula posted:

PFT finally came up with a good term for the phenomenon that most teams are really bad after they lost to the Patriots:

"post-Pats-partum depression"

I misread this as PFt Commenter and thought it was a great example of his classic terrible sports buzzwords and then I realized you were serious lol

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That Works posted:

You fucker :qq:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

That Works posted:

NaVorro Bowman sits and waits for a competent team to get built around him. The seasons change. The players rotate in and out, the shop behind him, an aging Jim Tomsula comes out of Tomsula's Pizza and pats him on the head. He slowly lowers his head. His eyes get heavier and heavier. Eventually they close, never to open again.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

The face of a man coached by Mike McCoy

McCoy was great for Delhomme.

Jake's collapse didnt really start until the next season, after McCoy had left for Denver.

Also the Panthers biggest rival is probably the Seahawks tbqh.

Wardende
Apr 27, 2013

Spoeank posted:

NaVorro Bowman sits and waits for a competent team to get built around him. The seasons change. The players rotate in and out, the shop behind him, an aging Jim Tomsula comes out of Tomsula's Pizza and pats him on the head. He slowly lowers his head. His eyes get heavier and heavier. Eventually they close, never to open again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

McCoy was great for Delhomme.

Jake's collapse didnt really start until the next season, after McCoy had left for Denver.

Also the Panthers biggest rival is probably the Seahawks tbqh.

I forget what you said or didn't say about Mike McCoy when San Diego hired him. I think his biggest weakness is that he was raised in the John Fox School of Being Completely loving Spineless

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Flying home the day after that game was rough. I packed nothing but Carolina gear for that trip and and there were Cards fans everywhere. To make things worse ended up being delayed forever in the Atlanta airport. That's a terrible fate even if you aren't surrounded by Cards fans and bitter Falcon fans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

My Falcons hate runs deep and wide. Like as long as not them goes to the playoffs its all fine and if we beat them twice its a fine season so I can barely if at all get super worked up over Bucs and Panthers games.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

SlipUp posted:

What about Panthers-Falcons or Saints-Panthers?

The Panthers are loving bitch-made and only like 20 years old. The Rivalries aren't as deeply seeded.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Jake Delhomme is still a favorite of mine and I don't care who knows it. It was incredibly unfortunate he suffered some kind of psychotic break against the Cardinals, and Fox was too loyal to him too long. But I think it's ridiculous how many Panthers fans have retconned him into being this awful quarterback who never did anything good for us and was torture to watch.

That Works posted:

Even I'm still sad about that one.

It's also a reason I can't hate Carolina as much as ATL, Delhomme and Mills both going there and being good.

Watching Roman Harper go there and get burned / gently caress up is fun too.

It's still difficult for me to root for Harper, especially since he's usually the slowest player on the field. He had a fantastic game last night, though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

RumbleFish posted:

Jake Delhomme is still a favorite of mine and I don't care who knows it. It was incredibly unfortunate he suffered some kind of psychotic break against the Cardinals, and Fox was too loyal to him too long. But I think it's ridiculous how many Panthers fans have retconned him into being this awful quarterback who never did anything good for us and was torture to watch.

People forget how on fire he was for your superbowl season and how goddamned awesome he played in that superbowl despite being upstaged by Brady in the end. He was impressive then.

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

It's still difficult for me to root for Harper, especially since he's usually the slowest player on the field. He had a fantastic game last night, though.

I still like delhomme. There were so many years he did well. But my dad got us tickets to the cardinals game and that ruined him for me.

delhomme deserves all the money he made and he really played great for a long time for us. He just was terrible the last few years he was with us.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I hope wherever Jake is now, he's happy with his Bojangles and his in-tact shed

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

I hope wherever Jake is now, he's happy with his Bojangles and his in-tact shed

hehehehehehehehehe

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

I remember when we still had Delhomme and he came in for Aaron Brooks midway through a game against Atlanta and pantsed them. Pretty much won him a starting job with another team after that night.

Wait... maybe it was against the Cowboys. Long time ago now.

That Works fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 3, 2015

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

the second-most fun I've had watching a game of football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUlzlOeYTk&t=7s

Magnus Gallant
Mar 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer
I personally feel really bad for delhomme after his 5 int performance. A large % of people hated him after that. Whilst only a few of those that hated him watched him the entire year.

I'm glad we have cam now

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Magnus Gallant posted:

I personally feel really bad for delhomme after his 5 int performance. A large % of people hated him after that. Whilst only a few of those that hated him watched him the entire year.

I'm glad we have cam now

he had two very bad games that year against Oakland and Detroit, but the Panthers were able to grit them out because they were oakland and detroit. The signs were there.

It wasn't until the next season against the Eagles that I was really like "oh poo poo it's over"

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l

Joey Freshwater posted:

It's weird that the Bucs don't really have a rival. Yeah, there's the divisional stuff and I probably dislike the Falcons more than the other two teams, but that's just because I live in Atlanta.

Years ago I guess it was Green Bay but that's tapered off since we don't really ever play them.

My hypothesis is that you need two successful teams regularly competing for something. In divisions this happens a lot, but sometimes it can be a conference rivalry. Colts-Pats, Steelers-Raiders. The Bucs were bad for so long they didn't have a chance to form rivalries and when they were dominate, the rest of the divison sucked. Green Bay was good though, so that's probably why there are embers still there.

Anyway, I don't wanna gently caress with playoff seeding because divisional games to decide that poo poo is legitimately the best football games of any given season.

Though that home field to the most wins idea isn't bad.

Some old thing I have laying around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7lAbpj3kxg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Qwijib0 posted:

the second-most fun I've had watching a game of football.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGUlzlOeYTk&t=7s

this game owned

• Locked thread