Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Starkk posted:

j/k I'm not an actual moron

Sorry, did you or did you not preorder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

frajaq posted:

:lol:

Oh jesus christ I hope most NPCs talk like this

They will all sound like Rimalus Bruiant and you will like it goddammit.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Fergus posted:

"Hey guys, we used mountains to make the map seem bigger than it actually was in Skyrim, how can we do that with Fallout 4?
Well gee, the player base might catch on if we use more mountains. Let's just make half of the map be water!"

Uhm, have you ever seen a map of Boston? Dumbass.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
So they should have what, tilted the map so north was angled to the left? You do know this is based on the coast around Boston right?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Luceid posted:

i only even really thought of it after seeing all the dead trees and thinking man, those trees have been dead for a long-rear end time, it'd be nice if they had some leaves on 'em or had just rotted away by now

Fallout's depiction of the apocalypse isn't supposed to be realistic, though. The setting's aesthetic is based on the logic of cheesy sci-fi pulps and 1950's nuclear anxiety. Because of that I feel like the look they're going for, like the bombs could have just fallen, works.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

null posted:

Underwater mission cutscene footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n2cIeIpzLA

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Squeezy Farm posted:

Uhm, have you ever seen a map of Boston? Dumbass.

So don't include the loving water?
Unless the water serves a purpose here but I'm having a real loving hard time believing all that water is related to gameplay

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Meridian posted:

New Vegas had some fantastic exploration in Old World Blues and arguably Dead Money. Honest Hearts to a lesser extent in my opinion.

As a package I feel that the more interesting world goes to New Vegas. Base games it definitely goes to Fallout 3.

That's fair. F3 didn't really have any interesting DLC areas outside of Point Lookout.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Fergus posted:

Unless the water serves a purpose here but I'm having a real loving hard time believing all that water is related to gameplay

Theres at least 1 MJ12 Brotherhood of Steel ocean lab out there

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Fergus posted:

I'm not sure I understand. Why not have water?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Fergus posted:

I played a game called the witcher 3 which was an open world game with good graphics and a zone called skellige that was 90% water and the game was good still

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
GRRRR. I'm mad that a coastal city has water.GRRRR.

HATE WATER

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fergus posted:

So, just remake New Vegas?

And in case you actually HAVEN'T seen a map of Boston before, let me educate you as to why there's so much water there :

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I wish Bethesda focused more on populating a smaller map with more encounters/missions/content, and less on just having a huge map. I think Fallout 3 had a smaller map than most (all?) of the Elder Scrolls games though, but I might be wrong.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
HATE WATER

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013

Fish Fry Andy posted:

HATE WATER
E: gently caress

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

So that they could then complain that Bethesda didn't utilize the fact that Boston is a coastal town.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

frajaq posted:

Also someone out there did a better map

Is that Boston/Cambridge in the middle?

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

GRRRR. I'm mad that a coastal city has water.GRRRR.

HATE WATER

They could have simply repositioned the map so a smaller portion of it is taken up by the sea.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Reading this thread makes me happy to see that NMA is still very much alive.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if you can cross the water you will find a complete version of wind waker in the corner of the map.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
I like having a big map to explore and I bet there's going to be some cool poo poo underwater, I think I will like exploring Boston

The Droid posted:

They could have simply repositioned the map so a smaller portion of it is taken up by the sea.

Then people would bitch that the invisible barriers start too close to the shore

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

The Droid posted:

That's a fair point.

It's also possible there is actual gameplay in that area and not just a big empty chunk of the map.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

HATE THREAD

Fergus
Apr 24, 2013
I just don't see why instead of including so much water in the map they couldn't have included more land and less water. That's all. God forbid they create more content.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bert Roberge posted:

Is that Boston/Cambridge in the middle?

Yes, and I think I see Arlington MA and the Arlington House of Pizza (AHOP) in there somewhere. I also see the Ben Affleck statue monument in there, a couple pixels but I can sort of recognize it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Remember that Skyrim had tons of water too, it was just at the top of the map so perspective made it seem like there was less of it

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The Droid posted:

Yeah, but why?

I don't understand being upset about the amount of water on the map. If Bethesda was going to add more land to the game they would have just added more coastline, but they didn't. It's not like there's less game because of the water.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Maybe the bomb would have dried it up.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Reminder that NV had a big old chunk of nothing on one side of the map but no one seems to complain about it.

edit:

actually, has a lot of empty space.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Fergus posted:

I just don't see why instead of including so much water in the map they couldn't have included more land and less water. That's all. God forbid they create more content.

Phrasing.

"I think they should have shifted the map west to include more inland terrain and less oceanic areas" is a much better way of getting your point across rather than saying "So don't include the loving water". Besides which that doesn't guarantee more content; simply having more land doesn't equate into more content if you're simply spreading the same amount of content over a larger area.

That said, there may be quite a lot of underwater content. An underwater vault, underwater caverns, I dunno. There's a perk to grant water breathing so they may try to put plenty out in the ocean to see and do. That and they may want to put content out on islands as a reason why certain things don't appear throughout the rest of the map. Without having played it it's difficult to say.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's 2015 and people still give a gently caress about map size like it matters.

Big maps are almost always poo poo.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

They have a dumb skill that makes no sense about being able to breathe underwater and have the very good stealth in water so maybe there will actually be stuff there. I'm not concerned about that portion of the map and I am the biggest hater in here

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Geoff Zahn posted:

Reminder that NV had a big old chunk of nothing on one side of the map but no one seems to complain about it

That's because NV is perfect in every way.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Geoff Zahn posted:

Reminder that NV had a big old chunk of nothing on one side of the map but no one seems to complain about it

On both sides of the map, and a little at the top, actually.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Fallout's depiction of the apocalypse isn't supposed to be realistic, though. The setting's aesthetic is based on the logic of cheesy sci-fi pulps and 1950's nuclear anxiety. Because of that I feel like the look they're going for, like the bombs could have just fallen, works.

The setting's aesthetic is based on Mad loving Max, with the sci-fi poo poo a background element to allow laser guns and robots and mutants. Bethesda's collective IQ is about 100 so they were unable to figure this out and now people jabber about how it's 50spunk! It worked well for New Vegas because the height of Vegas was in the late 50s and early 60s.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Fergus posted:

Whatever percentage of water is present within that square has no correlation to the actual physical space on land.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

In NV at least there was a lot of content planned to be put in for the Legion but got cut for time. Like the main antagonist of the Lonesome Road DLC was originally planned to be a Caesar's Legion-allied companion but they couldn't get him in on time.

e: If there is underwater stuff aside from clam/suitcase diving, then good.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Reminder that NV had a big old chunk of nothing on one side of the map but no one seems to complain about it.

edit:

actually, has a lot of empty space.
A lot* of people complained about it.

* edited to remove hyperbole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

rope kid posted:

A lot* of people complained about it.

* edited to remove hyperbole

People love complaining about poo poo that doesn't matter though.

see: this thread

• Locked thread