Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Watch every volume of No Prisoners until you don't feel like riding any more (then ride anyway)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Watch every volume of No Prisoners until you don't feel like riding any more (then ride anyway)

I'm 100% certain that youtube is the reason I can't do wheelies and am reluctant to try to learn.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'm 100% certain that youtube is the reason I can't do wheelies and am reluctant to try to learn.

why? its a great example of what not to do.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

This, but also youtube is the reason why I don't want to wheelie on anything but a tw200. And also why I want a tw200 to wheelie on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0RR27RH228
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgobQgDHOlY

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
I found two BMW F650GS, both with ABS for sale. One is a 2004 and another is a 2007. Are these bikes any good for a new rider? Or good in general as a dual sport motorcycle?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

I found two BMW F650GS, both with ABS for sale. One is a 2004 and another is a 2007. Are these bikes any good for a new rider? Or good in general as a dual sport motorcycle?

Yeah, they are good for both, my just-licensed German buddy had one for our road trip and didn't die. IIRC they are better in dirt than a KLR and nicer on the highway, although I'm guessing parts will be more expensive. I'd like to make an F650GS my next bike, although unfortunately that'll probably be out of the budget for the foreseeable future.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

How much dirt riding do you want to do? Are either the dakar model? How far away is the dirt you want to ride to?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah those are good learner bikes that stay fun for a long time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hell yeah do it. they're good stone reliable bikes.

I'm lusting after a sibling of it, the x-challenge.

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill

builds character posted:

How much dirt riding do you want to do? Are either the dakar model? How far away is the dirt you want to ride to?

Neither are the dakar model. I looked at them because the seat height is pretty low when it's stock.

Any dirt I would ride to would be about an 45 minutes to an hour away. If I ride dirt it would be maybe once a month and it would be on the weekend. The bike would primarily be for commuting and weekend rides. Some of those weekends could include dirt, just not as often as just cruising around on the road, I guess. I don't really know, since I'm not an experienced rider.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Dual sports are fun, easy, forgiving road bikes. Those beemers aren't cheap, but if you're comfortable with the price, you kind of can't go wrong with one.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

Hell yeah do it. they're good stone reliable bikes.

I'm lusting after a sibling of it, the x-challenge.

I have one. It's awesome. If you end up getting one shoot me a pm because I have a list of common problems and stuff to upgrade.

On the f650s, sounds like they're perfect for the kind of riding you want to do. The only caution I have for you is that everything is going to be ridiculously expensive and you'll be offended for a while if you're coming from any other kind of bike.

edit: you can address at least some of the cost by learning to change your own oil (it's easy) and doing other basic maintenance yourself. This is a nice resource http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/ as are these folks: http://ukgser.com/

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Edit: It's gone, but i'm also eyeing

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/5300121373.html

Says he has replacement fairings, and i have him down to 850.

Actual info: This would be my first bike.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 4, 2015

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
850?! Miles are high, but I'd be all over that, and I already have an ex250 that I love. Buy it, thrash it, convert it to a scrambler, whatever. Seriously, the ex250 without fairings 5 pounds of hooning in a 2 pound bag. I forced myself to put the fairings back on mine so I could stop being stupid with it.

But the shocks are probably pretty tired on that, and it should have a valve check because who knows when they did it, the exhaust might make it run badly if the carbs havent been messed with. With some work, you could have a pretty solid and bonkers fun bike. With no work, you will have a pretty solid and bonkers fun bike that won't last as long.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Coydog posted:

850?! Miles are high, but I'd be all over that, and I already have an ex250 that I love. Buy it, thrash it, convert it to a scrambler, whatever. Seriously, the ex250 without fairings 5 pounds of hooning in a 2 pound bag. I forced myself to put the fairings back on mine so I could stop being stupid with it.

But the shocks are probably pretty tired on that, and it should have a valve check because who knows when they did it, the exhaust might make it run badly if the carbs havent been messed with. With some work, you could have a pretty solid and bonkers fun bike. With no work, you will have a pretty solid and bonkers fun bike that won't last as long.

That's what I figured. My only real concerns are Orlando, FL traffic tends to be bad for 2 wheeled anything, and that my father politely said he wished I wouldn't buy one.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Your dad is wrong and I totally would have gotten that exact bike if I could have paid so little for it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Renaissance Robot posted:

Your dad is wrong and I totally would have gotten that exact bike if I could have paid so little for it.

I'm gonna sleep on it, I can't go see it until tomorrow anyway.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Deviant posted:

That's what I figured. My only real concerns are Orlando, FL traffic tends to be bad for 2 wheeled anything, and that my father politely said he wished I wouldn't buy one.

Personally, I have been riding overseas for ten+ years at this point, but I quit whenever I move back to Florida. Terrible drivers, 100% flat boring roads, can't split, hot as blazes (even in mesh gear) most of the year, gas is super cheap so not much savings there, etc. I'm not saying nobody should ride in Florida ever, just that the cons have always far outweighed the pros for me, much as I love riding.

For an $800 Ninja though... I'd be mighty tempted.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
even for that low dollar i don't know if i'd bother with a bike that's 10,000 miles over its lifetime

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Deviant posted:

I'm gonna sleep on it, I can't go see it until tomorrow anyway.

Show up with money in hand, and see it as early as possible.

Razzled posted:

even for that low dollar i don't know if i'd bother with a bike that's 10,000 miles over its lifetime

Tucked into the listing, he mentions it has a "new" engine. If it weren't an $850 ninja, that would be bad, but in this case it's strangely good.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Wait are you guys saying a Ninja is only good for like 25k?

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I guess that means the one I have that's got 34k on it is already dead and will fall apart any minute now. Bummer.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hyoshit is good for 65,000 km's and counting and I'm pretty sure the engine is far worse than a ninja.

Market value has little to do with what vehicles are actually like and mileage affects prices (or doesn't) out of all proportion to how it affects the vehicle in reality, hth.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Razzled posted:

Take the engine out and convert it to a 6-stroke, eventually making billions.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm astounded you went to the trouble of making that. I use it as a nickname, not a pejorative, especially as I now have two and need some way of differentiating the good one and the crap one.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

Deviant posted:

Edit: It's gone, but i'm also eyeing

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcy/5300121373.html

Says he has replacement fairings, and i have him down to 850.

Actual info: This would be my first bike.

Buy it. That lil' yosh is loving sweet.

Edit: *Those Yoshimuras. That's apparently $400 in mufflers.

Yerok fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 5, 2015

Ideal Paradigm
Aug 7, 2005
Trouble at the old mill
What's the general opinion on Honda CB500's? I found two for sale in my area. They're both the CB500F (naked version).

Gas mileage, power, and parts availability look good for a first bike, but I wanted to confirm here.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Ideal Paradigm posted:

What's the general opinion on Honda CB500's? I found two for sale in my area. They're both the CB500F (naked version).

Gas mileage, power, and parts availability look good for a first bike, but I wanted to confirm here.

Solid bikes but tend to be on the expensive side for a new rider who might drop the bike. Extra good if they have ABS.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Z3n posted:

Solid bikes but tend to be on the expensive side for a new rider who might drop the bike. Extra good if they have ABS.

I love my CB500F. A bit expensive for a first bike, but solid for a 2nd. They're not going to blow your pants off with their speed or anything, but they will do anything you want and are nice and light. I grabbed some luggage for mine and now it's literally a do-anything bike.

Plus I kind of like how it looks. Especially in red and white instead of black.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

SquadronROE posted:

I love my CB500F. A bit expensive for a first bike, but solid for a 2nd. They're not going to blow your pants off with their speed or anything, but they will do anything you want and are nice and light. I grabbed some luggage for mine and now it's literally a do-anything bike.

Plus I kind of like how it looks. Especially in red and white instead of black.

CB500F: Better than a Buell

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Razzled posted:

CB500F: Better than a Buell

This is correct in every way.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

It's a good movie you should watch it.

Unrelated: Are you all healed up now from the accident? Found anything to replace the ninja yet?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

hot sauce posted:

Unrelated: Are you all healed up now from the accident? Found anything to replace the ninja yet?
I'm pretty much healed up; doing some light PT. Should be getting a settlement from the insurance maybe in mid-December? I've got my eye on a couple of 2nd-gen Tuonos; we'll see what happens. I may end up actually buying something during Good Buying Season.

If we get some mild temps next week I'm considering just going out and renting an S1000RR for a couple days just to get back on the horse before the winter.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/5295887473.html

What should I be looking out for used R6s?

I'm on speed patrol looking for some new lovin

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Razzled posted:

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/5295887473.html

I'm on speed patrol looking for some new lovin

Buy an 03-05 if you want a street bike, they are far more torquey than the 06+ and are much more reliable motor wise. 03/04 has standard forks but is supposed to have one of the best front end feels of any stock bike ever, 05 has the inverted forks, if you want them, some people complain they are too stiff. We are talking the 1% of the 1% of riders though. Don't buy one older than 03. If you have money to blow you really want the 08+ over the 06-07 because of the variable intake stacks and frame changes.

The 06+ R6 is probably the worst supersport you can buy as a street bike. (That's not Italian)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 6, 2015

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Which was the year of the R6 that Yamaha touted as having an 18,500rpm redline that wasn't really that high?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The 2006 R6, coincidentally. They advertised a 17500 rpm max, when it was actually 16200.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2006/02/01february06_redline/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Razzled posted:

Torque. You won't find it though