Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bUm
Jan 11, 2011

dsriggs posted:

Rally Germany Results:

Yes, Wales is indeed garbage.
The gap between 3rd and 4th is nuts.

I have a love/hate relationship with Wales; I feel like I have a love/hate relationship with all but Germany.*

* Haven't driven Finland enough, but it seems like it'll be pretty easy (aka less likely to find myself occasionally hating it) once I learn it a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Germany is fun because it feels fast but it also doesn't really feel very rally like because it is all tarmac from memory. Finland is just all fun!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

haha oh god, the faster group B cars are even worse for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQny40nOIc

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
loving hell i looked at the default setup for the delta S4 and no wonder i have so much understeer.. what the hell?

also my "setup" is more of a "idk what the gently caress im doin" but I just think that the default shouldn't be so biased to one side on some of those settings. It feels a bit better now that I've adjusted it, but maybe i am fooling myself

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

On the dirt stream last night they said that they were in final testing for a FFB/tuning workshop style system for sharing profiles, hopefully that demystifies it some.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
So my first rally with the Delta S4 is complete. It was on Greece, and the 1st stage ended up putting me way in the back, and through the rest of the stages i got more and more comfortable, and on the last stage (10 km) i actually ended up being 5 seconds faster than the closest person even though i went off the road twice. Ended overall in 3rd place with +5 minutes :suicide:. drat those first few stages.

next location.. Monte Carlo. gently caress

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Black Griffon posted:

Honestly, Greece is fine enough. It's Monte Carlo that needs to burn and explode.

loving idiots parking their cars in the middle of the loving road during a god drat rally.

100% agree, gently caress Monte Carlo forever, I don't get the hate for Wales though, its my favorite before Germany and Greece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcBm5cDOAUM

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Skwee posted:

loving hell i looked at the default setup for the delta S4 and no wonder i have so much understeer.. what the hell?

also my "setup" is more of a "idk what the gently caress im doin" but I just think that the default shouldn't be so biased to one side on some of those settings. It feels a bit better now that I've adjusted it, but maybe i am fooling myself
In some cars Brake Bias can make a huge difference. I think it was the Opel Kadett on Greece I found the default setting was making me understeer pretty hard so I knocked it two notches over and then I was jack-knifing the car around under heavy braking (nose-firsting the inside of hairpins) and oversteering noticeably under light braking as well. Kicking it back to the middle of those two fixed it. The "good" setting was still pretty heavily front biased though so you definitely don't want to assume more balanced is definitely good.

It really depends on the car, but I'd recommend leaving things default at first since most of them are fairly good rather than tampering with them just because "seems too biased." Usually fairly small tweaks can fix most cars' maladies when you discover them.

There's some decent guides on tuning in the steam guides section for Dirt Rally if you want to know more about not just pushing sliders around and hoping for the best (although sometimes it still ends up that way).

Qmass posted:

haha oh god, the faster group B cars are even worse for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glQny40nOIc
Soaring through the air like an eagle. :911:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

Seriously. Do it.

What the gently caress? This thing is impossible. Do I need to set it up or something?

[Lancia Stratos]

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Red_Fred posted:

What the gently caress? This thing is impossible. Do I need to set it up or something?

[Lancia Stratos]

Welcome to the true Dirt Rally.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Stratos has absurdly short wheelbase, which makes it handle unlike any other car in the game. It's also by far the fastest of the 70's cars. Just don't touch the handbrake, ever.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

In my mind the Stratos is the most rewarding car in the game if you can get over the initial hump. Its so satisfying when you can make it swing its rear end out and not mow down a dozen spectators on corner exit.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
Tips to driving the Stratos:

• Don't be afraid
  • It'll be over soon
  • Grip is an illusion
  • At least it isn't that loving Ford Cosworth piece of poo poo

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
You're not so much driving the Stratos but really making sure it doesn't try to leave the track to satisfy its unreal bloodlust for spectators and trees.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
DiRT Rally: This thing is impossible. Do I need to feed it spectators?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Double Bill posted:

Stratos has absurdly short wheelbase, which makes it handle unlike any other car in the game. It's also by far the fastest of the 70's cars. Just don't touch the handbrake, ever.
Counterpoint one: the Lancia 037's wheelbase is similar, it has a lot more HP, and (I think) lower weight. :getin:

Counterpoint two: all the 70's cars are pretty good and, while I haven't tested it rigorously (the Steam guide where someone did... the Stratos is actually the slowest by a not insignificant margin :ssh:), I'm reasonably confident the Stratos is not the fastest.*

That said, the Lancia Stratos is a necessary experience; it's the only choice when you first get out of the weak little 60's cars and need to feel the power. Don't miss out on the Lancia Stratos experience!

* My personal preferences being the Opel Kadett for tarmac and Fiat 131 for gravel (it eats bumps like they're nothing so it rarely gets unsettled which makes it faster despite being the weakest-in-class performance-wise).

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Does anyone else feel like tires blow up too easily?
I know I should get gud, but still, they get destroyed even by colliding with snow banks in Monaco with no previous abuse.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Codemasters are so cheeky, those random rocks in the middle of the road...

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

quaunaut posted:

OP please change the thread title to this, thanks.

I also turned off the assists when I went to the Stratos so that didn't help. drat thing won't even run in a straight line!

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

If you're not playing with every assist off (apart from clutch if you're on a controller or don't have one on you wheel, I guess), you're not playing the game. :smugbert:

And seriously, you only start learning pacenotes properly when you go no-HUD, at least that's my experience. Everything else is a distraction.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
i never played with any assists besides automatic gearbox at the beginning, but now I use sequential. I have a clutch pedal but I don't use it cuz I am bad at all that foot poo poo since i've never driven a manual in real life, so I don't even have the movements down at regular speed so no way can I do that poo poo at racing speeds and not become completely distracted from actually pointing my car in the right direction. Also I use left foot braking, so it would be even more difficult trying to figure out all that switching between pedals poo poo and then also figuring out that heel-toe poo poo.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I have to wait a couple of months before I buy a wheel (using an xbone pad), but I switched over to manual in driving games a few months ago, and it's pretty great how quickly you pick it up, and how the driving becomes so much more immersive once you have control over the gears.

Once I pick up a wheel, learning how to clutch will be a loving gauntlet, seeing as I don't even have a license (I've tried out wheels with high quality FFB before, so the transition will be easy enough in all other aspects), but the sim-feeling is what draws me to driving games nowadays, so I think it'll be fun.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

OP please change the thread title to this, thanks.

I also turned off the assists when I went to the Stratos so that didn't help. drat thing won't even run in a straight line!

Who do I yell at to change the thread title? I want to change it at 1.0 anyway

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Skwee posted:

i never played with any assists besides automatic gearbox at the beginning, but now I use sequential. I have a clutch pedal but I don't use it cuz I am bad at all that foot poo poo since i've never driven a manual in real life, so I don't even have the movements down at regular speed so no way can I do that poo poo at racing speeds and not become completely distracted from actually pointing my car in the right direction. Also I use left foot braking, so it would be even more difficult trying to figure out all that switching between pedals poo poo and then also figuring out that heel-toe poo poo.

I use paddle shift and I've set the clutch pedal on my G27 as the hand brake. Works quite well for me.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

I have to wait a couple of months before I buy a wheel (using an xbone pad), but I switched over to manual in driving games a few months ago, and it's pretty great how quickly you pick it up, and how the driving becomes so much more immersive once you have control over the gears.

Once I pick up a wheel, learning how to clutch will be a loving gauntlet, seeing as I don't even have a license (I've tried out wheels with high quality FFB before, so the transition will be easy enough in all other aspects), but the sim-feeling is what draws me to driving games nowadays, so I think it'll be fun.
Yeah, I was a little surprised how little time it took to get used to manual after using auto for years in games. I figured it'd be especially tough for Dirt Rally because the very dynamic nature of the driving (not a circuit that's the same shifts every lap; rugged and bumpiness occasionally spinning you or putting you off-track so you need to rapidly drop gears to 1st/reverse to get things going again*), but now I'm so glad I just bucked up and did it after getting super frustrated with the lovely automatic in Dirt Rally (most notably: shifting to 1st on most hairpins despite most cars literally only needing first to get moving from a dead stop again, sans handbrake launching where usually 2nd is still better). Still haven't played PCars (only other racing game in my active arsenal right now) since switching over, but I'm hopeful manual there is a bit better also; I doubt it'll be as noticeable though because circuit racing is more straightforward and I don't feel like I've noticed the automatic in PCars doing dumb shifts nearly as often as Dirt Rally.

I feel like my issue would be less with the clutch and more with trying to learn to heel-toe the gas/brake while doing it. Looking into getting an entry-level wheel though, I'm thinking the Thrustmaster T-150 (no clutch pedal/shifter included) looks like a better bet for a good wheel than the G27 (probably be at a similar ~$200 price point during holiday sales) so I probably won't have to worry about it getting a wheel unless/until I decide to upgrade later to get better pedals/a shifter.

* Is the only way to get to reverse with a sequential IRL to just rapid-drop all the way through? Seems hugely inconvenient/slow sometimes, not that one should be reversing frequently in a race car.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

The ease of using manual also surprised me when I first started using it, though I only use manual with my wheel because if I'm playing with a gamepad I don't care about gearing. I still use auto-clutch though because I just can't get used to manual clutching or heel-toeing. I keep trying but most of the cars I drive with my wheel don't use the clutch anyway.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
I'm starting to think I have an affinity for the least competitive (least-driven) vehicles, because there is no way that the lap I put down for this was fast.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
One thing I do notice is in some cars when I am using automatic clutch it shifts rather slowly. I think those are the cars where you would be better off manually clutching.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

I'm starting to think I have an affinity for the least competitive (least-driven) vehicles, because there is no way that the lap I put down for this was fast.

Didn't all the times for Group A and B just get reset due to the patch making them have v2 physics models? Seems extra plausible given Great Joe on there showing 64th with a time of 10 minutes.

If anything, I'd assume the Lancia is the most popular Group A based on Weeklies.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bUm posted:

Didn't all the times for Group A and B just get reset due to the patch making them have v2 physics models? Seems extra plausible given Great Joe on there showing 64th with a time of 10 minutes.

If anything, I'd assume the Lancia is the most popular Group A based on Weeklies.

Yeah, the Group A and Group B 4WD got wiped so now's the time to go in and get high positions on the leaderboards.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Whoever set up those two long Wales stages with no service in between is a real dick

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

bUm posted:

well this makes a lot more sense then:

I will find this Man Who is Faster Than Me, and kill him.

also here's a thing http://gfycat.com/DistortedPointedFantail

SealHammer fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 4, 2015

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

:aaa:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I did something very similar last night however at a much slower speed with the Stratos. Should have saved it.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
It is me, I am Samir:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FymE2Vu-7lc

(apologies if already posted)

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Holy poo poo. That's the most remarkable clip I've seen yet in this game.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

quaunaut posted:

Yes!

The 205 t16 now looks impossible to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSGc3PTP3k

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

Halo14 posted:

It is me, I am Samir:

tbh the call language is too simple

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Halo14 posted:

It is me, I am Samir:

This is great, I don't care that it's an overdub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

SealHammer posted:

I will find this Man Who is Faster Than Me, and kill him.

also here's a thing http://gfycat.com/DistortedPointedFantail
Do it.

And: :hawaaaafap: *

* Add that to the OP on why you should get the Lancia Stratos as soon as possible.

Qmass posted:

The 205 t16 now looks impossible to drive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSGc3PTP3k
It always was if you go all out. That said, a commonality of v2 physics is the cars feeling generally lighter (the Lancia 037 is going to be so frightening when they update it) so no surprises it's more frightening now.

Also: that's some serious rev limiter grinding. Feel like you could've gone faster (not necessarily a good thing ;)) by not dropping down gears as much.

Looking forward to getting back to Group B since I've been putting it off since they started doing the updated physics and I figured I'd wait until they did the pass before messing with them again. I've only done the 205 so I've got four whole cars left to experience (well, maybe three... might pass on the Audi since it seemed lame, relatively speaking, on a daily once upon a time compared to the others).

Halo14 posted:

It is me, I am Samir:

It was at least twice before and we're not worse off for it.

• Locked thread