Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
~~The Battle Hymn of the Contra Tiger Mother~~

Hoodrich posted:

base building just makes me sick

MAKES ME SICK TO MY GODDAMN STOMACH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm puking my guts out about the fact that energy weapons don't work the way they did in Fallout 1

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

"Oh God you got the spray gun, DO NOT LOSE IT, you seriously better not screw this up, I'm not kidding"
Colon ripping fecal splatter oozing out of my hosed up anal hole because dialogue works differently

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

You do realize they actually were the pioneers of the $5 costume pack DLC right?

Yeah and it bit them in the rear end and they haven't done it since, and based on what they're saying about the Season Pass for F4 they're not doing it this time either.

But the fact that people went apeshit on it in 2007 and now openly welcome it in every game nowadays is like... idk how to feel about that.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah and it bit them in the rear end and they haven't done it since, and based on what they're saying about the Season Pass for F4 they're not doing it this time either.

But the fact that people went apeshit on it in 2007 and now openly welcome it in every game nowadays is like... idk how to feel about that.

Remember Paid Mods for Skyrim?

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

people eventually started reasoning with it like "well I guess the game I paid money for isn't real either". Unfortunate but true.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The Worst Muslim posted:

people eventually started reasoning with it like "well I guess the game I paid money for isn't real either". Unfortunate but true.

There's also the ugly truth that the price of entry for games is the same as it's been for nearly 30 years but modern games are more expensive to produce. Every major company has approached this differently whether it's with "season passes," expansions, optional superficial upgrades, dubious commercial tie-ins, or psychologically manipulative "card pack" upgrades. I kind of just wish they asked for a little more money upfront but I realize not everyone can afford that.

ants on my cum rag
Sep 2, 2011

bloodychill posted:

There's also the ugly truth that the price of entry for games is the same as it's been for nearly 30 years but modern games are more expensive to produce. Every major company has approached this differently whether it's with "season passes," expansions, optional superficial upgrades, dubious commercial tie-ins, or psychologically manipulative "card pack" upgrades. I kind of just wish they asked for a little more money upfront but I realize not everyone can afford that.

True, it's easier to ask 5 low payments than one very high payment.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

bloodychill posted:

You know what actually bothers me is that they keep listening to the same old world music and don't bother to form new bands. Like, if post-apocalyptic movies like Fury Road and Six String Samurai have taught me something, it's that original bands are pretty key to having a good time in the wasteland.

Apparently there are going to be original songs for Fallout 4. They got Lynda Carter (married to the Zenimax CEO so she's in all of Bethesda's stuff) to play a singer and do some songs for the game.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/2/9658986/fallout-4-soundtrack-lynda-carter

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

bloodychill posted:

I think Bethesda did pretty well selling lunchboxes. I haven't looked into any figures but as I understand it the mobile game did pretty drat well. That wasn't a bad idea at all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm puking my guts out about the fact that energy weapons don't work the way they did in Fallout 1

I'll bite, as someone who never played the 2d fallouts. What did they do

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Droid posted:

Remember Paid Mods for Skyrim?

Pirate Jet posted:

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

bloodychill posted:

This is also true but I seriously prefer the Bethesda model of "DLCs are mostly self-contained and are also big chunks for $10-20" as opposed to other devs which might be like "we're releasing twenty $3 costume packs for a $60 game with 200 costumes already in it" or "we're releasing new weapons that are better than everything else once a month and gently caress you if you don't keep up"

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

What I mean is they didn't really learn their lesson if they thought people would be okay with paying for amateur-made horse armor. It's been less than a year since they tried paid mods, so I think its a bit too early to say "but they learned their lesson this time".

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

The Droid posted:

What I mean is they didn't really learn their lesson if they thought people would be okay with paying for amateur-made horse armor. It's been less than a year since they tried paid mods, so I think its a bit too early to say "but they learned their lesson this time".

Oh for sure, I totally expect them to try it in another game.

But they've said that Fallout 4 isn't gonna be that game, so I've got no problem buying it.

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
this seems like a good place to post about a game i preordered

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I'm absolutely furious about every aspect of it

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster

Something Else posted:

this seems like a good place to post about a game i preordered

you should be mad you got conned into preordering a game like an idiot

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
So this is kinda interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LxwyJq920Q

Someone walks across the world in 11 minutes.

Wasn't there some talk about Fallout 4's world being Skyrim sized? Of course, this doesn't account for underground bits, but... huh.

Also encounters a staggering seven or so enemies.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
This Bethesda game is a Bethesda game! This isn't what I signed up for!!!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

Wasn't there some talk about Fallout 4's world being Skyrim sized? Of course, this doesn't account for underground bits, but... huh.

Half the reason Skyrim took so long to traverse was all the drat mountains and hills everywhere. 11 minutes while sprinting is fine. And 7 encounters in 11 minutes of straight running is fine.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Capn Beeb posted:

Posted about it in the other thread, but yeah. That's kind of hosed up. I mean, you can't even say "Well Skyrim had mountains to obscure the map size and this is flatter!". That's just a straight up tiny map. He's not even cheating to perma sprint across it either. A fair amount of the way he's just using the default run speed and leisurely strolling through a wasteland. And when he isn't he still has to constantly wait for his stamina meter to recharge. :stare:

Edit: Well apparently you can say that Skyrim had mountains that made it bigger. Doesn't make the whole "tiny rear end map" thing any less true given what that video shows. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 4, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Half the reason Skyrim took so long to traverse was all the drat mountains and hills everywhere. 11 minutes while sprinting is fine. And 7 encounters in 11 minutes of straight running is fine.

If you could sprint in F3 and NV, you'd probably clock a similar time to go across the map of each one.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
You can cross San Andreas in GTA5 in about that much time if you have a relatively fast car but that game still owns bones. If you're judging a games quality on size of landmass rather than the content inside it Daggerfall should be the greatest game ever made.

I was linked the "Dogmeat nonchalantly on fire gif" last night and I thought the explosion was cool and that the shooting looked very solid before I realised what people were in arms about. It's like fuckers have never played a Bethesda game because that poo poo happens in every single one of their games, Skyrim included

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Songbearer posted:

You can cross San Andreas in GTA5 in about that much time if you have a relatively fast car but that game still owns bones. If you're judging a games quality on size of landmass rather than the content inside it Daggerfall should be the greatest game ever made.

I was linked the "Dogmeat nonchalantly on fire gif" last night and I thought the explosion was cool and that the shooting looked very solid before I realised what people were in arms about. It's like fuckers have never played a Bethesda game because that poo poo happens in every single one of their games, Skyrim included

Uh. That's because you're driving a hot rod that can move so fast that it can blur the loving scenery. That's more an indication that the map in that game is really loving big than it is a valid comparison to that video.

Also, it's kind of hard to compare the map size of a game where your top speed can go ridiculously high compared to an "on foot" game like this one. Call me when some dude shows off the map while moving so quick he literally has a few seconds to note the nuked out gas station he just passed going at 80MPH. If it takes eleven minutes then yeah, it's a pretty big goddamn map. That guy was sprint-strolling across the map. That's a bit different.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Nov 4, 2015

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
It took a little over an hour to cross New Vegas and I don't think sprinting makes you run over 6 times faster than walking.

This is definitely not the best metric by which to judge the game, but it does raise my eyebrow at a product I'm already very wary of.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

mango sentinel posted:

It took a little over an hour to cross New Vegas and I don't think sprinting makes you run over 6 times faster than walking.

This is definitely not the best metric by which to judge the game, but it does raise my eyebrow at a product I'm already very wary of.

Well, we'll see. I'm not as hyped as some people I know for the game, but I'll probably pick it up at some point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
HATE WAITING

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
First thing I'm going to do when the modding tools come out is record a voice replacer for the player so they say what's on the screen. It'd be good for low int runs at least.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Archonex posted:

Uh. That's because you're driving a hot rod that can move so fast that it can blur the loving scenery. That's more an indication that the map in that game is really loving big than it is a valid comparison to that video.

Yeah, point taken. I guess I just don't see why it's such a hot button topic considering that it's the content of the game rather than the scale of the landmass that's really important here. I'd rather have a world that's detailed and well realised than a gigantic sprawling landmass that takes hours to cross but without any reason to do so, but then I've not seen a lot of FO4's content as I'm avoiding most of the media that's coming out if I can help it so I'm going on good faith.

But the "This game is janky" thing is still one that'll get me every time. It's like everyone's mysteriously forgotten that Skyrim, on release, featured:

1) Bears and horses falling out of the sky
2) Louis Letrush cloning himself outside of Whiterun
3) Giants that bat your ragdoll miles into the air (Okay this one owns bones)
4) People swimming on land
5) Chickens IDing you for theivery

Alongside the fact there's always been a cubic fucktonmeter of poor animations (Just look at dual weilding in Skyrim while in third person) and AI weirdness in every single one of their games. I mean if the argument is that Bethesda should know better by now then I'll agree entirely, but given that this game has probably been in development since FO3 it's not going to be a big step up in fidelity over Skyrim. It's also never stopped people from enjoying the everliving bejeezus out of the game and plunging hundreds of hours into it.

I dunno. I guess I'm a little more lenient on games with jank as long as it's not destroying my saves or making missions impossible to complete. Gonna play and have fun v:shobon:v

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
I'm going to buy and play and probably enjoy this game.

I ... I feel so dirty, just typing that. I'm sorry.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inkj4yop5P8

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I hope the game is good. I hope that's not too controversial.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I sincerely hope there are decent bugs that can entertain me like backwards flying dragon did. Bethesda games always broke in the most amazing ways.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Yeah, point taken. I guess I just don't see why it's such a hot button topic considering that it's the content of the game rather than the scale of the landmass that's really important here. I'd rather have a world that's detailed and well realised than a gigantic sprawling landmass that takes hours to cross but without any reason to do so, but then I've not seen a lot of FO4's content as I'm avoiding most of the media that's coming out if I can help it so I'm going on good faith.

But the "This game is janky" thing is still one that'll get me every time. It's like everyone's mysteriously forgotten that Skyrim, on release, featured:

1) Bears and horses falling out of the sky
2) Louis Letrush cloning himself outside of Whiterun
3) Giants that bat your ragdoll miles into the air (Okay this one owns bones)
4) People swimming on land
5) Chickens IDing you for theivery

Alongside the fact there's always been a cubic fucktonmeter of poor animations (Just look at dual weilding in Skyrim while in third person) and AI weirdness in every single one of their games. I mean if the argument is that Bethesda should know better by now then I'll agree entirely, but given that this game has probably been in development since FO3 it's not going to be a big step up in fidelity over Skyrim. It's also never stopped people from enjoying the everliving bejeezus out of the game and plunging hundreds of hours into it.

I dunno. I guess I'm a little more lenient on games with jank as long as it's not destroying my saves or making missions impossible to complete. Gonna play and have fun v:shobon:v

People are definitely doing the whole "familiarity breeds contempt" thing, yeah. In all seriousness not all of the stuff that's leaking is encouraging though. Skyrim crammed a poo poo ton of content into a huge map. More impressively, almost every dungeon had a "thing" that made it stand out or told a story. Doing that in a game with a smaller map could easily make it feel overcrowded in terms of content. In fact, come to think of it at one point the guy literally started sprinting and transitioned between two or three landmarks/areas in a matter of seconds. So maybe that's how they compensated for the small map size.

More worrying for me is that in that video I didn't see anything like the notable landmarks in New Vegas. NV was neat because just about every major locale had something that made it stand out. Even that crappy motel had the dinosaur gift shop. I was getting Fallout 3 flashbacks from watching that video. They don't appear to have varied things up (Or have learned from NV in that regard.) at all. You'd think at least one or two interesting sights would come up during a full diagonal run through of the map.

On that note, is the ocean explorable? If so there's finally a reason to have a Skyrim style naval mod in one of Bethesda's games. Especially since it appears to take up a fairly large chunk of the map.

Edit: Another problem is that smaller maps make it harder for modders and mod users to add new content in without causing cell conflicts. Not that I expect it'd be much of a problem for awhile but i'm all for anything that helps keep the prima donna types on sites like the Nexus from going into a shrieking fit and battering down decent content creators because their dick-for-tits fetish mod or whatever is loving up something more creative.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 4, 2015

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i am utterly stoked for this game and plan to spend the same hundreds of hours i spent with Fallout3, New Vegas and Skyrim. maybe even more so with mods! i hope we all continue to be happy with our gaming

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

The worst parts about the new fallouts are the poo poo shooting mechanics and the shooting looks very good in this one, so I will play it

Shame about the dialogue tho, 10 char 3int characters were the best in fo1/2, and NV had some great normal dialogue. FO3s story and writing were trash tho so I'm expecting the same from this and the subsequent Obsidian expansion to be good

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I have never experienced anything approaching "real life," yet I know that this video game does not perfectly replicate it, and this makes me very upset

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Songbearer posted:

Lol, yea it has to be one or the other there bud. Its not like a game could have both a large landmass and also be filled with quality/engaging content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NV was pretty empty and as a result I just fast traveled most of the time and got annoyed when I had to run for 15 minutes through nothing and maybe shoot 3 or 4 things along the way so I don't care that the landmass isn't huge :qq:

• Locked thread