Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

hemale in pain posted:

It's not a design flaw.... every open world game has invisible walls. Witcher 3???

Witcher 3 teleports you backwards instead of running into a literal invisible wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Witcher 3 teleports you backwards instead of running into a literal invisible wall.

That's stupid as gently caress and absolutely depressing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Yaos posted:

absolutely

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

That sounds actually way worse than an invisible wall

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Otacon posted:

That's... that's it? Entire map slashed in half in 11 minutes?

This is terribly depressing.

this dude apparently ran across skyrim in 14 minutes (dodging mountains and cliffs and stuff) so I wouldn't think too much of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaFf2sAS68

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 4, 2015

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Slugnoid posted:

this dude apparently ran across skyrim in 14 minutes (dodging mountains and cliffs and stuff) so I wouldn't think too much of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oaFf2sAS68

He's got the whole thing sped up though so it's kind of hard to say what the time is.

Edit: Never mind that he didn't start on one side of the world like the other guy did. And that Skyrim's map is pretty drat large if you go from east to west. Going off the shot of the map at the start he started about maybe halfway to three fourths of the way across the map and went northeast instead of actually going across the map according to how it was designed. The latter of which would cut time down by a lot since he's not actually traversing the whole map.

Hard to say where he actually stops on the map too since he doesn't show you an end point on the map itself. But from the last area it looks like he just went northeast to the ocean instead of actually going east towards Riften from where he started.

TL;DR: That's a terrible video.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
I'd say the map size is probably fine, if the content is dense enough. That is a concern all of it's own given how Fallout 3 fared in that department, especially in comparison to New Vegas. Skyrim really suffered from a lot of the side chains feeling chopped down or bland, some of which was from the hard set release date forcing them to rush things a bit if I recall. I think the mages guild quest line could be knocked out in something ludicrous like sub 2 hours.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Yaos posted:

Yep, the game is only 22 minutes long, good job getting the scoop on this one.
I don't know if you did not know this, but a favorite feature of renowned game Fallout 3 was exploration and how much you could do of it. It has sort of been considered Bethesda's strength over the more narratively focused game of New Vegas, which does reward exploration, but doesn't feature nearly as much of it (or so I've been told, but I dunno)

Danaru posted:

That sounds actually way worse than an invisible wall
Yeah, way worse. Way worse. Way worse. Way worse. Hay horse.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

How exactly is a poisonous fog or a fence better than just a message that says there's no more game in that direction? :confused: It serves the exact same purpose except one doesn't make the distance look stupid/kill you if you wander into the wrong place

I dunno, it's not something that particularly bothers me either way. It's just that if I was going to design the edge of my gameworld, I'd make it an impassable barrier that made sense in the context of the world, instead of an invisible wall. Overall, the stream made the game look better than I thought it was going to be - the base building stuff looks quite cool, and the weapon crafting too. The animations aren't perfect still, but at least the characters don't float along like they did in older games on this engine. The gunplay looks improved, and despite some muddy texture work the world as a whole looks good.

Bardeh fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Aw drat, I didn't get to see the stream, what's the base building like? Can you give your citizens jobs to do, or are they just kind of there? Real Time Settler gave me an itch that it wasn't capable of scratching since it was buggy and a pain in the rear end to use :saddowns:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

Aw drat, I didn't get to see the stream, what's the base building like? Can you give your citizens jobs to do, or are they just kind of there? Real Time Settler gave me an itch that it wasn't capable of scratching since it was buggy and a pain in the rear end to use :saddowns:

It was hard to tell because the stream was lagging so badly at that point. I saw him placing furniture down, crafting some furniture and fittings and stuff, and planting food. It looked as though you needed certain numbers of resources (power, food, defence, some others) that rose as the population did. I didn't see him giving jobs to citizens, but there were people hanging around there that you can talk to etc.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
All these complaints would mean a lot more if Bethesda had made a quality game since Morrowind. Their writing talent left after Morrowind and their graphics and animations have always been disappointing. I mean under all the obfuscation and misinformation the Creation engine is basically just their own version of gamebryo complete with all its lovely faults. Oblivion was a disappointment with graphics that did not meet the hype or their prerelease shots. It featured armies made up of 3 men from each town and had a broken leveling system. Fallout 3 refused to have nut-shots because that would be childish while filling the game with memes, misunderstanding basic fallout lore and having a terrible ending that made little sense. They then doubledowned on terribleness with mothership zeta dlc. Skyrim was actually pretty good but nothing special. You wonder around a big empty world trying to avoid doing the main plot because it's so badly written that random small side quests are epic in comparison. Again they poo poo all over the established lore but this time at least it is their own. RIP Michael Kirkbride.

Bethesda sucks. They make lovely but entertaining open world games. I'll be buying it because that's what I quite fancy playing this November. I feel sorry for anyone that thought they were going to get a life changing piece of art. You loving idiots.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I'm just gonna wait s couple of months when the modding starts and we start a new generation of awesome/awful mods.

Embrace the 3D anime titties.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

I come back after sleeping and there are 1000 new posts.

Did I miss anything important?

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
There was a leaker streaming the PC version. It looked better than the cellphone videos of the xbone version, but like all early leakers, the guy was terrible at the game. And the stream was choppy as hell.

Bardeh posted:

I dunno, it's not something that particularly bothers me either way. It's just that if I was going to design the edge of my gameworld, I'd make it an impassable barrier that made sense in the context of the world, instead of an invisible wall. Overall, the stream made the game look better than I thought it was going to be - the base building stuff looks quite cool, and the weapon crafting too. The animations aren't perfect still, but at least the characters don't float along like they did in older games on this engine. The gunplay looks improved, and despite some muddy texture work the world as a whole looks good.
Straight lines of impassable mountains would make sense in the context of Massachusetts?

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Danaru posted:

How exactly is a poisonous fog or a fence better than just a message that says there's no more game in that direction? :confused: It serves the exact same purpose except one doesn't make the distance look stupid/kill you if you wander into the wrong place

Motocross Madness (From Microsoft in 1998!) did it best. Big open field motocross area you could buzz around with flanked by huge cliffs on every side, and if you rode up those it'd make an explosion noise and launch your rider into the stratosphere to land somewhere in the centre of the map, complete with comedy bomb whistle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRNwVzwIIno

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I feel like New Vegas seemed really big because your walk speed was super slow. A fair bit of the game is walking down the same barren highway to get to the next location. More space or a bigger map isn't really a positive if the game does nothing with it.

Starkk posted:

No.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 4, 2015

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

I feel like New Vegas seemed really big because your walk speed was super slow. A fair bit of the game is walking down the same barren highway to get to the next location. More empty space isn't really a positive if the game does nothing with it.

No.

Good good, I'm still excited to play this game on my PC system, I believe I will still find it enjoyable.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Starkk posted:

https://i.gyazo.com/f1d89d75fb3c61823e81a440e4f3423e.mp4

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

He looks sad as gently caress

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Starkk posted:

Good good, I'm still excited to play this game on my PC system, I believe I will still find it enjoyable.

Sounds like it'll be better for everyone if you steer clear of this thread then, friend.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Odobenidae posted:

Sounds like it'll be better for everyone if you steer clear of this thread then, friend.

This thread is fascinating tho, what with all the negative opinions and shitposting about a game no one here has played.

But thanks for looking out friend I appreciate it.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Starkk posted:

This thread is fascinating tho, what with all the negative opinions and shitposting about a game no one here has played.

Dude your from 2008, this poo poo should not be surprising to you anymore unless this is your first time following a major game release thread.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Not sure how Morrowind was considered "good writing", the story was like some stupid fanfiction, which is probably because the ingame books were actually in-universe fanfictions.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

grrarg posted:

Straight lines of impassable mountains would make sense in the context of Massachusetts?

A huge fence that was erected because of all the Mega Super Radiation that's over there. A massive minefield that was placed to keep the Mega Mutants out. A cloud of swamp gas that incapacitates you when you get too close. A crater caused by an explosion from leftover nuclear material that someone was messing with.

But you're right, the only two real options are 'invisible wall' and 'mountains'.

Like I said, it's not something that particularly bothers me, it'd just be nice if they made it consistent with the setting.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Away all Goats posted:

Dude your from 2008, this poo poo should not be surprising to you anymore unless this is your first time following a major game release thread.

I am but an egg and take all new releases as the new experiences they are.

or something idk

:protarget:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Starkk posted:

Must have played it before you can say anything about it. Anything. At all.

Phil Tenderpuss
Jun 11, 2012

Bholder posted:

Not sure how Morrowind was considered "good writing", the story was like some stupid fanfiction, which is probably because the ingame books were actually in-universe fanfictions.

Bruh

Shaquin
May 12, 2007

Bholder posted:

You can enjoy fallout 4 and maybe even this thread without resorting to outright ignorant delusions about bethesdas gradual fall from grace in having engrossing and interesting game worlds. Morrowind has a very nuanced story and a game world that is still one of the best in terms of having a sense of otherworldly place and aesthetic completeness.

Shaquin fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

Must have played it before you can say anything about it. Anything. At all.

Don't be a moron, of course you can make comments on certain aspects, the poor graphics and animations are pretty clear. What I'm talking about are the opinions calling it a poo poo game overall when they haven't even played it.

I mean if you played F3 and NV then you know its going to be a janky mess when released, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Shaquin posted:

You can enjoy fallout 4 and maybe even this thread without resorting to outright ignorant delusions about bethesdas gradual fall from grace in having engrossing and interesting game worlds.

OH I'm sorry that I'm not fellating every orifice of gamings greatest masterpiece, the Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind and all its expansion.

I'm already doing the same poo poo with New Vegas, so why not.

Shaquin
May 12, 2007
A wall of retards clamoring for the chance to wallow in the muck and slop down gruel, haughtily rebuking any who take a position that is moderately critical.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Yaos posted:

Weird. You're talking about your penile deformity, but in response to a post about how a better game handles the necessity of a border at the edge of the map. Misleading, to be sure.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

Why'd steam bother changing the release date to 9th November when its still gonna be 00:01 on the 10th? (At least according to my calculations on time remaining)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Rockybar posted:

Why'd steam bother changing the release date to 9th November when its still gonna be 00:01 on the 10th? (At least according to my calculations on time remaining)

Because people are going to VPN this poo poo anyway, why even bother to pretend otherwise? If you release earlier in one time zone then another, you might as well just release the game everywhere at that time.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Starkk posted:

Don't be a moron, of course you can make comments on certain aspects, the poor graphics and animations are pretty clear. What I'm talking about are the opinions calling it a poo poo game overall when they haven't even played it.

I mean if you played F3 and NV then you know its going to be a janky mess when released, doesn't mean it's a bad game.

See, that's more sensible.

I'm going to play this game, because I expect it will be a good time. I just wish every aspect of it would offer a good time. We don't get the modding tools for quite a while and the SkyUI dude isn't going to be modding, so it's going to be a while until we get a functional UI that doesn't break apart or better textures. There are plenty of small improvements I am surely looking forward to, like crafting my own badass weapon or playing minigames on my Pip-boy.

It's just missing a lot of small things and it makes me so insanely angry because I think Bethesda can do better. I know they can. It's just really sad to see them fall dead short of the flagpost of impressing me on things that ought to simply be. And I don't mean bugs, I love Bethesda bugs. I don't mean the AI either, I love Dogmeat running off cliffs or into fire and acting like everything is okay, that is loving hilarious.

It's the little things that pull me out and I don't like it. I'll put up with it, I'll endure it. But I won't like it as much as I could.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bardeh posted:

A huge fence that was erected because of all the Mega Super Radiation that's over there. A massive minefield that was placed to keep the Mega Mutants out. A cloud of swamp gas that incapacitates you when you get too close. A crater caused by an explosion from leftover nuclear material that someone was messing with.

Even if they just changed the message so it said something all the lines of the radiation being too high. The invisible wall itself isn't a huge deal except for being a little immersion breaking.

EDIT: \/ A fair point

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Nov 4, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

On the other hand its funny to see John Fallout run uselessly against an invisible barrier.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mokinokaro posted:

Even if they just changed the message so it said something all the lines of the radiation being too high. The invisible wall itself isn't a huge deal except for being a little immersion breaking.

It's a sign of laziness and ineptitude at design. Granted, it's only one among many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Effectronica posted:

It's a sign of laziness and ineptitude at design. Granted, it's only one among many.

What isn't a sign of laziness and ineptitude?

Are there any more extremely minor bullshit to complain about?

Does the game have trees and farms, it is important to know what food people are eating!

• Locked thread