Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I figure my 5s is about on par with a new anroid phone, suits my needs except I guess it'd be nice to have apple pay :shrug:

I actually do really like the smaller size & appreciate the fact that it's a different size and shape from my work issued phone. that would be so confusing lol

I look forward to the 7s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

zen death robot posted:

that emote is terrible an.d I want to destroy whoever paid $30 for it

funny story, they paid for a tiny one because they were a hosed up retard and a mod reversed it and made it bigger, but not any more funny :(

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

:yarg: :gary:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

and now you constantly whine about it being slow and bad.

constantly? nah only coz of ios7

wish there was a way yo downgrade

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

my apple tv arrived yesterday, and its really really good

tim, youve done it again!!

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

my apple tv arrived yesterday, and its really really good

tim, youve done it again!!

How well does it play with iPads and iPhones? strongly considering getting one the same time I get the iPad pro

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

neonbregna posted:

How well does it play with iPads and iPhones? strongly considering getting one the same time I get the iPad pro

i didn't get the thing where you use your phone to set up wifi to work. It almost worked, but it errored or something and it wouldn't come back up. Had to resort to using the onscreen keyboard to put in my password. which is my other complaint, the on screen keyboard is really bad and you can't use your iphone or ipad as a keyboard for the times you need it. Mercifully, some apps let you login by entering an activation code into a browser, but some want username and password

as for like casting or AirPlay though? idk, I didn't try it yet. chromecast soured me on the whole idea of using my phone as a remote. the remote is much better i'd say

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

so I saw the Steve jobs movie. I thought it was pretty good, albeit sorkiny as hell, but I can tolerate sorkin when he has a director that filters out his worst tendencies. anyway I was curious about a few specific details and I googled how much of the movie was factual and every tech site spergs about how so many facts are wrong and that makes it bad

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Puppy Galaxy posted:

so I saw the Steve jobs movie. I thought it was pretty good, albeit sorkiny as hell, but I can tolerate sorkin when he has a director that filters out his worst tendencies. anyway I was curious about a few specific details and I googled how much of the movie was factual and every tech site spergs about how so many facts are wrong and that makes it bad

the mossberg review was pretty funny

quote:

Unlike Mr. Sorkin, I did know the real Steve Jobs, for about 14 years — the most productive and successful 14 years of his career. I spent scores of hours in private conversations with him over those years, and interviewed him numerous times onstage at a tech conference I co-produced. And the Steve Jobs portrayed in Sorkin's film isn't the man I knew.

I didn't know Steve Jobs during the early parts of his career — his first stint Apple and then his time running the failed NeXT — which take up most of the movie. And I know very little about his relationship with his daughter Lisa.

also

quote:

The movie mangles too many facts to list here. Mr. Jobs' intimates tell me he never held serious conversations with old collaborators and foes in the moments before he took the stage; he was intensely focused on his presentation.

just lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

neonbregna posted:

airplay works fine, remote.app doesn't work at all (presumably this will change with an update)

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
literally Samsung/android phones are such trash for nerds they couldn't pay James Bond 50 million to use it http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/james-bond-rejected-android-in-spectre/ :gary:

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ludwig van Halen posted:

the mossberg review was pretty funny

also

just lol

yeah I was curious about the Mac not being able to say "hello," I was pretty sure that Lisa Jobs, John Sculley and Woz didn't actually have long theatrical conversations with Steve minutes before every product launch

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I might be buy the laptop that is either touchscreen or hopefully a Mac but I have to look at the software my wife can use to work it out. she said "if you have two iOS devices you can do it so I will get a MacBook" so I have to work out how accurate that statement is coz the MacBook will be an expensive paperweight as far as running iOS apps goes

if I do get a Mac i don't think a pro will be justified to be honest, I'm not rich enough to drop an extra grand for performance wen she's using it coz she doesn't care

but between the air and the book, what's the go? pros and cons?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
BWILL likely have to boot camp so I guess storage is of slight concern

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

echinopsis posted:

but between the air and the book, what's the go? pros and cons?

they dont make macbook cons, retard

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
all macbooks are cons

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is 128gb enough for osx and windows I have no idea how bloated osx likely is and if
half
of 128gb is enough for os, word processor and few simulations apps

maybe 256 minimum huh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Athletic Footjob posted:

they dont make macbook cons, retard

good one

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

128 is enough for a machine running os x as long as you dont plan to keep your pirated anime collection on there. but windows will quickly eat up half of that space with update files and other bullshit. having windows and osx both on there is asking for trouble

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

deffo go for 256 if you're dual booting

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

echinopsis posted:

is 128gb enough for osx and windows I have no idea how bloated osx likely is and if
half
of 128gb is enough for os, word processor and few simulations apps

maybe 256 minimum huh

if you're going to dualboot get a 256. i dunno how big osx is but win10 is 30GB.

what simulation apps are you going to install, CATIA/CAD stuff?

The core office apps take like a gig along with whatever stuff it installs at random all over the place.

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
does osx have the same problem as windows where default hibernation and pagefile will take up as much storage as the memory size so you lose like 16gb to page files and another ~16gb to hibernation or around 32gb of total disk space instantly if you have 16gb of ram?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cool thanks 128 not enough

simulation is life support machine poo poo. I have no idea bout it

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
256 even if you don't store tons of stuff. need room to stretch out and relax. OS X takes up like 10gb on its own

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

DaNzA posted:

does osx have the same problem as windows where default hibernation and pagefile will take up as much storage as the memory size so you lose like 16gb to page files and another ~16gb to hibernation or around 32gb of total disk space instantly if you have 16gb of ram?

Not from what I have seen

Got a personal Mac laptop with 256GB SSD, got plenty of space even with two VMs on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so what about the macbook vs the air?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cpu or screen which is more important

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you tell me

what's better value for money, it's my wife's compy and she is likely to care about neither

how much does one need
to compromise on the CPU to get retina? like how "slow"

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
your wife will love the dual core tengra 2 chipset

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

the macbook has more storage, more ram, an infinitely better screen. that's the one to get. she isn't going to be transcoding video.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

there isn't a huge amount in it but the combo of an i5 and non retina screen gives it a buit more power. also has USB slots and w/e and is cheaper

but the macbook is smaller and silent and has a much better screen. but costs more.

air is more cost effective if that is the biggest factor but just be awarre the air screens are rly showing their age now. best thing wouldk be 2 take her 2 the fruit stand to try them bith

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

id pick the macbook perosnanlly but

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Pinterest Mom posted:

the macbook has more storage, more ram, an infinitely better screen. that's the one to get. she isn't going to be transcoding video.

i was in the store yesterday and i tried to fiddle with one of the macbooks and it was chugging like crazy. unusable.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

THC posted:

i was in the store yesterday and i tried to fiddle with one of the macbooks and it was chugging like crazy. unusable.

demonstrably untrue

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

*thc loads up final cut pror to edit 4K footagge of his tiny dick*

well the resolutiokn is incredible but thisultrabook is so slow....

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

no just trying to open safari and actuate mission control, it was very laggy. there was something wrong with it.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Those things can be laggy on my 13" rmbp so idk

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
unless thinness and weight are the top, top priority, i'd get this instead of a macbook 2015 just for the larger screen, faster cpu/gpu for lovely sites like youtube and facebook, a traditional usb for all your existing crap and things theyll still sell with usb3 for some time, 256gb ssd, same price point, etc http://www.apple.com/shop/product/FF840LL/A/refurbished-133-inch-macbook-pro-27ghz-dual-core-intel-i5-with-retina-display

height: 1.31 cm vs 1.8 cm
weight: 0.92 kg vs 1.58 kg

if it were 2016 or 2017 i'd probably just say get the macbook, but imo mbp13 better atm

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Christ I paid 2000 canadian tire dollars for that thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd get an mba before a MacBook. screen is nice but the keyboard is hot garbage.

• Locked thread