Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Feenix posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

That's right correct. All it does is stream the MPEG2 OTA feed (or transcode it, depending on which you buy) to your network devices.

That said, anecdotally speaking I've been able to get better reception much more consistently with my HDHR than the ATSC tuner in my TV. I'm not going to pretend to be able to explain it. Could be any number of things and OTA is really finicky in my area so I'm just happy it worked after shelling out for the HDHR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
so what's the verdict is this thing poo poo or what

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

I predict that most reviews will settle on this: "Faster and easier to navigate than past AppleTVs, Siri universal search is a great addition, and App Store holds the future of the device but is currently bereft of killer apps."

Right now, the above is pretty reflective with the notable addition of a few bugs (Siri imperfections, the Remote app getting updated, etc) that will likely get patched out over the coming weeks and months.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Feenix posted:

Minor derail. If my OTA antenna has some issues picking up channels well, the HDHomeRun wouldn't change that, right? It just allowed we me to see it on computers or DLNA devices. But the weak link would still be the Signal quality to my antenna, right?

Its possible it could. It depends on the quality of your existing tuner. I wouldn't expect miracles though.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Is there a trick to scrubbing through a video in plex? I can't get it to work with either remote. My harmony remote just takes me back to the menu when I do ffw or rwd. The new atv remote won't let me slide around at all. Just pauses, moves the cursor, the snaps back to where it was when I started moving it.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

GutBomb posted:

Is there a trick to scrubbing through a video in plex? I can't get it to work with either remote. My harmony remote just takes me back to the menu when I do ffw or rwd. The new atv remote won't let me slide around at all. Just pauses, moves the cursor, the snaps back to where it was when I started moving it.

I haven't had that problem - can even use Siri to forward / back a number of seconds or minutes. I really hate to say this, but try restarting the ATV through the menus (not just sleep/awake, but actually restart) and see if that clears it up?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

noirstronaut posted:

Well, as an Apple Watch owner, you clearly have a low bar for "good" so it should be well above your standards.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

GutBomb posted:

I have the same problem on some videos, others will let me scrub away. Not sure why that is, but it might have something to do with file types?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
Important safety tip, don't idle in the app store. I did, fell asleep, Apple TV goes to sleep and turns off TV, touching the remote later ended up buying an app even with the TV off.

Yes, a bit of shooting myself in the foot since I don't require a password to purchase, and I was able to cancel the purchase, but..

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Got my Apple TV yesterday, loving it so far. So nice to have a legit Plex app and Airplay available on the same device.

One question: is there a way to change the quality of the streams in Plex? I have my Plex Media Server on a remote gigabit connection and since it's not local I'd like to be able to alter the quality settings on the transcode.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

GutBomb posted:

Some video are more compatible than others. Increasing the bandwidth setting to unlimited fixed some files for me, but mp4 works best though it shows the thumbnail while you scroll

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

tonic posted:

Got my Apple TV yesterday, loving it so far. So nice to have a legit Plex app and Airplay available on the same device.

One question: is there a way to change the quality of the streams in Plex? I have my Plex Media Server on a remote gigabit connection and since it's not local I'd like to be able to alter the quality settings on the transcode.

I don't think there's any avenue for the client to request a certain bitrate. You can set remote transcode bitrate on the server end (plex.tv/web -> settings) so that may be something you want to look at increasing or decreasing, depending on what you're trying to do.

Perplx posted:

Some video are more compatible than others. Increasing the bandwidth setting to unlimited fixed some files for me, but mp4 works best though it shows the thumbnail while you scroll

Thumbnails are generated by the server on a schedule; Theoretically all items should have thumbnails unless you disable thumbnail generation on the server. I disabled it because it eats a lot of space (My plex server is a 40gb linux machine, all the actual media is stored on a NAS NFS share).

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!
So far this thing feels half assed and is a little underwhelming.

Used it for a total of 4 hours last night.

It crashed/rebooted on its own 8 times. Displayed NOT AVAILABLE about 1/2 the time when I tried to airplay to it in several different apps on my iphone 6s. Amazon Video app did not work at all. Would not use/see my iphone 6s to do the set up at the beginning. Lost connection to the remote several times (even while using it). Every game I played (except for Asphalt 8) stuttered. NO support for the Remote App is just plain stupid. Scrolling is wonky at times- especially when using the keyboard. (Charged the remote for 2 hours before using it)

That said - I like Netflix, Hulu, Youtube, Vevo, etc. I like the search function and hope it expands to everything on the ATV4. Asphalt 8 played very well and looks great. Being able to FFW and RW with a swipe is great as is just saying "Go back 1 minute" or "What did he say?"

There is a lot of potential here. Hopefully an OS update fixes the stability and performance issues. 9.1 just went into Beta so we shall see. Would love to see a jailbreak and the ability to customize the hell out of this thing.

Here is a feedback form for the ATV4. http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html Everyone with issues should fill this out.

For now this will be replacing my ATV2 and Roku 3 in my living room.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Really, Siri?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Whitezombi posted:

Amazon Video app did not work at all.

Did I miss this getting released? Or do you mean using AirPlay to stream the Amazon Video app from your phone to the Apple TV?

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

canyonero posted:

Did I miss this getting released? Or do you mean using AirPlay to stream the Amazon Video app from your phone to the Apple TV?

Sorry. Airplay with Amazon Video app would not work at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I didn't realize I could use my HDHomeRun with Plex. I might have to mess around with that. It would be nice to be able to watch TV through my Apple TV instead of messing around on my PC.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I know before launch a bunch of us complained about having to constantly log in to every different app with cable provider info. Well I was just going to sign in to the CNBC app, I clicked the option to sign in, it comes up with the 6 or 8 character code. I pick up my phone to go to the website and log in, then I look back up and it automatically signed me in.

I'm not sure if the ATV remembered my info, or more likely the NBC and CNBC apps talked to each other.

Either way, thought that was pretty cool.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
There were a few apps like that on the ATV3, but only from related channels, and they would still forget your information after a week or two.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Categories have been added to the app store now. I like how quickly Apple seems to be smoothing out all the wrinkles.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

noirstronaut posted:

Whitezombi posted:

So far this thing feels half assed and is a little underwhelming.

Agreed. But luckily, other than the idiotic which-side-is-up remote, all of the problems are software, and therefore fixable.

Whitezombi posted:

Here is a feedback form for the ATV4. http://www.apple.com/feedback/appletv.html Everyone with issues should fill this out.

+1.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Does the 3 or 4 gen do bluetooth audio?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

4th definitely does: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205302

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I didn't realize I could use my HDHomeRun with Plex. I might have to mess around with that. It would be nice to be able to watch TV through my Apple TV instead of messing around on my PC.

Me either. Is it an official channel or a work around? If you get it running please let me know so I can drop my firetv stick.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Can somebody test if audio works on the new Apple TV when AirPlaying a video podcast (e.g. MacBreak Weekly HD) from the podcast app on an iOS device at 1.5 or 2x?

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

Lazyhound posted:

Can somebody test if audio works on the new Apple TV when AirPlaying a video podcast (e.g. MacBreak Weekly HD) from the podcast app on an iOS device at 1.5 or 2x?

There is a free TWIT app you can watch live streams and recent episodes in

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer
Double post. Sorry

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
E: Awful app :argh:

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Nov 5, 2015

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
E x2 : Awful app :argh:

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Nov 5, 2015

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
Yeah, this thing is pretty awesome. I don't use Plex and mostly use Apple TV for Netflix, Hulu and HBO, so this update is really perfect for me.

I think I'm most impressed with how loving fast the thing is! Scrubbing though tv shows and movies is a dream now and they load so quickly I can't get over it. This update has changed my viewing habits for the better practically overnight.

Yes, some of the setup or various apps was a pain and the remote takes some getting used to since I've used the old remote for 4 or 5 years now, but overall I really, really love this update. And it will only improve!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If anyone wants to try (compiling and) side loading emulators:

https://github.com/jasarien/Provenance

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Rick Sanchez posted:

Yeah, this thing is pretty awesome. I don't use Plex and mostly use Apple TV for Netflix, Hulu and HBO, so this update is really perfect for me.

I think I'm most impressed with how loving fast the thing is! Scrubbing though tv shows and movies is a dream now and they load so quickly I can't get over it. This update has changed my viewing habits for the better practically overnight.

Yes, some of the setup or various apps was a pain and the remote takes some getting used to since I've used the old remote for 4 or 5 years now, but overall I really, really love this update. And it will only improve!

I agree with most of this - the speed increase is noticeable and very welcome.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

savesthedayrocks posted:

Me either. Is it an official channel or a work around? If you get it running please let me know so I can drop my firetv stick.

I'm successfully using this:

http://hdhrviewer.zynine.net

(HDHRViewerV2)

.. on my Plex server and streaming it to my AppleTV4. Used it to watch the local news last night before flipping to Netflix. My Plex server is a Linux box but I don't see any reason why it should be any different based on platform. I get a microsecond stutter 3 or 4 seconds after I first launch a channel but after that it's flawless.

I'm using a bog standard HDHR4-2US, not even the transcoding HD one.

Definitely give it a shot. The AppleTV app store has pretty much become my TV hub now. Even if there's no native app for a channel I want, there's a good chance that someone's come up with a Plex channel to do the same. I'm waiting for BBC iPlayer to get a native app, but for now I just use the BBC Plex channel :)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Going to try messing around with Plex tonight. The thought of getting Live TV via an HDHR sounds pretty intoxicating.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anymore Plex trip reports? I'm thinking about picking up an ATV on the way home from work today.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Do we know yet (based on developer kits or whatever) if apps are allowed to access content from iTunes Home Sharing? It's the kind of thing I could see being locked out - but then again Apple seems to have no problem with alternative media players on the iPhone, so who knows. If I could use a bunch of pretty media players on my TV, with the iTunes library that I'm already running, I'd buy this thing for sure.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Couldn't you just point your media player to your iTunes library location?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
If anyone ever comes across an ATV Apps news site/list. (Whats new, etc...) I would be delighted to know of it...

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Goons, which model ATV4 are you getting? I doubt ill be doing anything more than plex, netflix, hbogo and a few other streaming apps.

if the plex app can sync content, i can see a need for the larger size. Syncing would be nice if you plan on taking the atv with you on a trip, or you just want faster response.

Its be cool if people i share my plex library with could sync a movie on a thursday, so that we are not all competing for bandwidth on a feiday night.

If syncing is not an option, ill be content with the smaller atv.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Thwomp posted:

Couldn't you just point your media player to your iTunes library location?
Is there precedent for any app working that way yet? Plex doesn't really count since it uses its own software on the media server. Since the iTunes Home Sharing infrastructure is already built into the ATV, I'm wondering if 3rd party players can piggyback off that.