Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

greatn posted:

Well my trans nephew just moved to loving Utah, I'm sure he'll be fine there.
Believe it or not, we actually have an anti-discrimination law statewide so we're way ahead of some states. Also results aren't official because voting was done by mail, but it appears the lesbian single mom has won the mayorship of Salt Lake :woop:

If your nephew is in SLC it's not going to be so bad for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

Does anybody have a a good breakdown or summary of the Hillary's 11 hour question session in front of the Benghazi committee?

The basic charge I see is that the State Department was responsible for security for diplomatic personnel, and that inadequate security was provided in Benghazi, with no Quick Reaction Force in place in case the ambassador. I don't know if it was the Secretary of State's responsibility or fault that there wasn't better security, but I'm sure the question got asked at some point and I'm looking for Hillary's answer.

Nope the Republicans on the hearing were too busy stating Illumanti-level theories to ever ask a sane question like that. It was a poo poo show. The closest it came was Tammy Duckworth (D) asking about proper funding of State security, which Clinton was enormously happy to answer considering the cavalcade of retardity thrown in her direction for the past 6 hours.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Shageletic posted:

Yes the prospect of the poor suffering is hi-larious

"Ha ha you fuckers just lost the ability to get health care without a job, my forums experience is great now!! "

Jesus people. I understand people go into histrionics but this is a really bad thing that's going to cause bad things. At least give us a couple of days to mourn :smith:

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

menino posted:

Ah yes, the "Chicago" angle, talking point straight from Breitbart. Have you ever heard of a phrase called "per capita murder rate", dipshit? Look it up. Then get back to us as to why you think Chicago is the example you think is most resonant.

I think you missed the mark there friend. Keep on fighting the good fight though!

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The Chicago area police officer whose death sparked a manhunt and a worry about a war on police turns out to be a staged suicide. The guy had been embezzling for years.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/loca...-339944352.html

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

"Ha ha you fuckers just lost the ability to get health care without a job, my forums experience is great now!! "

Jesus people. I understand people go into histrionics but this is a really bad thing that's going to cause bad things. At least give us a couple of days to mourn :smith:

I don't think Bevin is going to make good on his ridiculous pandering promise to strip hundreds of thousands of people of health insurance with the stroke of a pen. It's a popular program that polls well in the state.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Kentucky voters just voted to kill themselves; a v ironic and funny joke IMO

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Milk Malk posted:

My point is valid. If there are uncivilized, inbred fucks with stupid dialects everywhere, why be so angry with the ones who don't want your tax dollars?

State-provided services in rural areas are subsidized by urban areas:ssh:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Shageletic posted:

Nope the Republicans on the hearing were too busy stating Illumanti-level theories to ever ask a sane question like that. It was a poo poo show. The closest it came was Tammy Duckworth (D) asking about proper funding of State security, which Clinton was enormously happy to answer considering the cavalcade of retardity thrown in her direction for the past 6 hours.

The Republicans asked increasingly insane questions about conspiracy theories and irrelevant talking points. One of them even admitted afterward that nothing new was learned for the entire 11 hours.

The Democrats used their speaking time to denounce the whole committee as a partisan circus.

Hillary looked presidential and the smartest, calmest person in the room for the entire time.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Jonked posted:

As a Pittsburgh resident, I want to make it clear that this is absurdly wrong.

Also, the idea that Philly is the sole civilized city in the state is laughable. Philly, where they beat a friendly Canadian robot to death.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

She could also be talking about, you know, Republicans. But, that would be a lot of mental twisting for a Slate writer.

Republicans doing think guns are an urban problem, they don't think they are a problem at all, and wouldn't be caught dead using gun and problem in the same sentence.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Shageletic posted:

Could you go into how she responded regarding the funding issue? I've been under the impression that State had received some budget cuts leading up to 2012.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

She could be, she clearly isn't, but it could happen!

I don't think it is that clear (on the second part, the first one was totes shade at bernie.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

Republicans doing think guns are an urban problem, they don't think they are a problem at all, and wouldn't be caught dead using gun and problem in the same sentence.

"Shoot the problem with a gun". Checkmate.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Milk Malk posted:

I think you missed the mark there friend. Keep on fighting the good fight though!

I'm pretty sure I got it. The only people who talk about "Chicago" and crime are on the white-rights fringes getting fed a BS trend story that was cooked up to hold against Barry Soetero for the 2012 election, but just never died. Especially when it's brought up as a direct counter-example to a rant again rural whites.

Unless you are, in fact, Spike Lee. But I doubt it.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

greatn posted:

They're the first to talk about "urbans" and "black on black" violence.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

zoux posted:

I don't think Bevin is going to make good on his ridiculous pandering promise to strip hundreds of thousands of people of health insurance with the stroke of a pen. It's a popular program that polls well in the state.

I respectfully disagree. The tea party just claimed Boehner's head without any sort of backup plan or political goal other than ideological purity. Rational thought or opinions of constituents are by and large meaningless if they have a shot at sticking it to Obummer.

Even if it ultimately costs him his support, he is absolutely crazy enough to do it.

Late edit: They didn't force out Boehner like they did Cantor but the HFC is a major deciding factor to Boehner finally having enough of this poo poo so I feel it's still a valid comparison.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Minnesota's pretty nice and our major metro area is consistently rated one of the most livable in the country. The worst things are long winters, mediocre weed, and stupid blue laws.

Unless you're a minority. The inequality gaps here are like dead last in the nation :(

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Well that sucks.

The fact that there wasn't a good contingency plan in place doesn't surprise me though, especially in light of how Operation Inherent Resolve is being run on a shoestring.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Time to throw some logs onto the eternal Hillary vs. Bernie flamewar: In addition to previous claims that he's sexist, Hillary is now insinuating that Bernie is racist.

Are we sure it isn't her followers? Maybe a SuperPAC? I can't see Hillary doing this at all!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

WHOOPS posted:

Unless you're a minority. The inequality gaps here are like dead last in the nation :(

Yeah, parts of North Minneapolis are worse than Mississippi in that regard, but it's a problem that we've recognized and are working on.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I respectfully disagree. The tea party just claimed Boehner's head without any sort of backup plan or political goal other than ideological purity. Rational thought or opinions of constituents are by and large meaningless if they have a shot at sticking it to Obummer.

Even if it ultimately costs him his support, he is absolutely crazy enough to do it.

Late edit: They didn't force out Boehner like they did Cantor but the HFC is a major deciding factor to Boehner finally having enough of this poo poo so I feel it's still a valid comparison.

Salve your fears my friend.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I really wish we just had compulsory voting.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
At best that Hillary Clinton quote is a toe dipped in the water to see if the media will go along with racism accusations. It's way too dog-whistley and vague to be a real attack.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Maarek posted:

At best that Hillary Clinton quote is a toe dipped in the water to see if the media will go along with racism accusations. It's way too dog-whistley and vague to be a real attack.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Could you go into how she responded regarding the funding issue? I've been under the impression that State had received some budget cuts leading up to 2012.

quote:

DUCKWORTH: Thank you, Mr. Chairman. Secretary Clinton, I'm -- apologize. My line of questioning will probably be a little bit boring because I'm going to get in -- into some details that actually have to deal with security and how we can better safeguard America's diplomats now and onwards.

From, you know -- I have to say that the ARB conducted by Admiral Mullen, a man of great military pedigree and -- and -- and long service to this nation -- quite honorable, brave service -- as well as Ambassador Pickering, I thought, was well conducted and well thought out.

And, in fact, don't just take my word for it. I'm a pretty low- ranking member of the House, but -- but McKeon, the Republican chairman -- longtime Republican chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, also, you know -- and never once in our committee hearing did I hear him malign the work that was done in that ARB as we on our committee also looked into what happened.

So I want to look at some of the findings from -- from that ARB. And -- and I want specifically to examine the failures of the Blue Mountain Libya security guards and the February 13 (sic) militia on that exact day, September 11, 2012.

My understanding is, in Benghazi, neither the host country's militia forces nor the state department's private local guards were capable of defending our personnel. These poorly trained forces either did not show up, they retreated in the face of danger or simply lacked the necessary tools to fight back effectively.

quote:

CLINTON: Congresswoman, I think that's another very important question. I -- I think the State Department, like much of the rest of the government, often feels under pressure to go to the lowest price, whether or not that lowest price is the best contract.

And we had a lot of challenges, not just in Libya, but in many places around the world, trying to work to find the right contractors to provide static security for a lot of our posts and facilities, to find more kinetic contractors who could be the front line of defense, since we -- as we discussed earlier, we're stationed in so many places where there were not American military that could be called and quickly respond.

So I would like very much, and perhaps there could be a working group with Armed Services and Foreign Affairs and others to look to see whether we couldn't get a little more flexibility into this decision making.

Because the -- the February 17th militia was viewed by the CIA, which had vetted it, as well as by our diplomats, as a reliable source for kinetic support. Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't. And the static support proved to be not very useful at all on that night.

So I think you're -- you're really raising an important issue about how to get more flexibility into the contracting, because we're not gonna be able to bring American military forces to every place where we are in a high-threat post, either because the military can't afford to do that for us, or because the host country won't invite us in.

And the other problem, as you pointed out, is that if the host country doesn't have any real resources, it's hard to know how much they can produce. That night, I was calling the president of Libya and demanding that he find any friendly militia, any friendly anybody, to show up and to support us.

When our reinforcements, the security reinforcements from Tripoli landed, a militia showed up and in fact kept them there until they had a big enough group to accompany them to the CIA annex. So it's a very unpredictable and even erratic process. And it starts with in many instances the lowest price. And I don't think that's always the best way to get a contract for security.

quote:

CLINTON: Yes, we do. You know, the host nation gets to call a lot of the shots. Under the Vienna Convention, the host nation is responsible for providing security for diplomatic posts. But when a host nation is either unwilling to do so, as we do have in some places where we are present, or unable to do so -- because I do think with the Libyans, there was a desire to be helpful, but not a capacity to produce what we needed.

We have to really work hard to get the kind of support that is required. And, you know, in some cases we've been able to work out arrangements with the host country. Some we have just defied them and tried to be very quiet about what we were doing. In others, you know, we are prohibited. So it's a constant -- again, it goes back to that balancing of risk and reward that we're always doing.

quote:

CLINTON: Well, Congresswoman, before the attacks in Benghazi, the Congress never fully funded the security requests that the administration sent to Congress. Following Benghazi, that has improved, but there are still areas where I think greater -- greater funding and responsiveness would be helpful.

It was unfortunate that we didn't get all the resources that might have enabled us to do more in all the high-threat posts before Benghazi, but I appreciate what the Congress has done since. The one specific recommendation that I would like to see the Congress act on expeditiously is the training facility that would be set up in order to train diplomatic security officers specifically for these high- threat situations.

And I think this is overdue. I know that on a bipartisan basis, representatives from Virginia, which is the state where the site that has been identified is found, have urged in a recent op-ed that the Congress act on this. I would certainly echo that as well.

DUCKWORTH: Thank you.

Full text of the hearing here: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2015/10/22/transcript-clinton-testifies-before-house-committee-on-benghazi/

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 4, 2015

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, the idea that Philly is the sole civilized city in the state is laughable. Philly, where they beat a friendly Canadian robot to death.

You do know that was a hoax right?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Thank you, you will have made my Thanksgiving at home that much more tolerable.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

Yeah, I wonder if Clinton said "some people think the earth is flat, that's stupid" if people would say it was an anti-science attack on Sanders.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

zen death robot posted:

I'd settle for elections being on a holiday or at least a weekend.

And some sort of method that allows people who work mandatory jobs (healthcare, for example) that allows them to vote easily.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Also, the idea that Philly is the sole civilized city in the state is laughable. Philly, where they threw rocks and snowballs at Santa Claus beat a friendly Canadian robot to death.

ftfy

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah, I wonder if Clinton said "some people think the earth is flat, that's stupid" if people would say it was an anti-science attack on Sanders.

It would be, he is notoriously a flat earther.

Milk Malk
Sep 17, 2015

menino posted:

I'm pretty sure I got it. The only people who talk about "Chicago" and crime are on the white-rights fringes getting fed a BS trend story that was cooked up to hold against Barry Soetero for the 2012 election, but just never died. Especially when it's brought up as a direct counter-example to a rant again rural whites.

Unless you are, in fact, Spike Lee. But I doubt it.

Kind of funny how rants against rural whites (poors) use remarkably similar language to the far right fringe uses against minorities (poors). But phew I'm glad to know you're willing to take a stand against racism! :D

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Milk Malk posted:

Kind of funny how rants against rural whites (poors) use remarkably similar language to the far right fringe uses against minorities (poors). But phew I'm glad to know you're willing to take a stand against racism! :D

Tell us more about who the Real Racists are.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
It doesn't really matter if he's serious and a maniac or if he's clever and it was satirical, the point still stands. We wouldn't let someone get away with saying that kind of poo poo about people in the south side of Chicago. It's not kosher to be that contemptuous of the 'inbred mutants' in Pensatucky just because you don't like their politics.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Actually that does make me feel a lot better. Thank you. :)

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Forgot about that one, it's a way better example.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
So here's a question- did the Ohio weed thingy fail because of uptight people who don't like weed or because the measure would have instituted an immediate government-administered crony-capitalism monopoly on marijuana production and sale?

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

Maarek posted:

It doesn't really matter if he's serious and a maniac or if he's clever and it was satirical, the point still stands. We wouldn't let someone get away with saying that kind of poo poo about people in the south side of Chicago. It's not kosher to be that contemptuous of the 'inbred mutants' in Pensatucky just because you don't like their politics.

No it's not kosher at all. Why bring up Chicago, though, unless you're a fan of Stormfront?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Monkey Fracas posted:

So here's a question- did the Ohio weed thingy fail because of uptight people who don't like weed or because the measure would have instituted an immediate government-administered crony-capitalism monopoly on marijuana production and sale?

I think it was a combination of those two camps.

For the latter people it's kind of the exemplar of perfect being the enemy of good enough.

menino posted:

No it's not kosher at all. Why bring up Chicago, though, unless you're a fan of Stormfront?

Because you are being trolled bud.

• Locked thread