Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

That sounds dumb as hell. Maybe if it was like a no run up thing a la indoor it'd be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

The ball should have to be played on the ground from kick ins imo

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Argyle posted:

This season, my league is allowing kick-ins instead of throw-ins. Every time the ball goes out of bounds, you can elect to take an indirect free kick instead of a throw.

Had our first game with this rule on Sunday. It's so dumb. We play 7v7 on short fields, so every throw-in becomes a long cross into the box. It slows play down tremendously because everyone runs downfield, setting up for the kick. I hate it.

Kick ins are fine, its teams who want to play long ball in small-sided games that are the problem lol

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Argyle posted:

This season, my league is allowing kick-ins instead of throw-ins. Every time the ball goes out of bounds, you can elect to take an indirect free kick instead of a throw.

Had our first game with this rule on Sunday. It's so dumb. We play 7v7 on short fields, so every throw-in becomes a long cross into the box. It slows play down tremendously because everyone runs downfield, setting up for the kick. I hate it.

It's a bit stupid that it isn't set in the rules - I've only ever played in leagues where you either had to throw 11-a-side outdoor or had to take an indirect kick-in, such as futsal or other small sided games.

You'll find that these sorts of problems tend to sort themselves out though, better teams will realize that sending everyone up to the opponents goal has the same dangers as corners do - one goal on the counter and they'll start playing kick-ins the way you'd normally play throw-ins.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Soulex posted:

That sounds dumb as hell.

There was a semi-heated argument between the ref and a guy on the other team, who was basically saying "I'm allowed to stand 2 meters away from the kick-in because it's technically a throw-in."

Hopefully they get some more ironclad rules in place before the next games.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Argyle posted:

There was a semi-heated argument between the ref and a guy on the other team, who was basically saying "I'm allowed to stand 2 meters away from the kick-in because it's technically a throw-in."

Honestly the best fix is to just mandate that all kick ins have to be played on the ground or below knee height. Or just go back to throw ins.

They changed the rule in the short sided league I play in because of exactly your scenario. People would just stand a few feet away from the kick taker and get hit by the ball over and over.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Argyle posted:

Hopefully the ref said "and I'm allowed to show you two cards because you're technically an idiot." Or some poo poo like that. Seriously, gently caress that guy. Hopefully your refs just step in and say "nope!"

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Playing in a 6v6 indoor turf league with a coworker for 10 weeks, we had our first game last night. I used to be a pretty competive player who traveled all over the eastern U.S. for tourneys but that stopped after high school, then I played in a rec league for a couple years. That was 7 years ago though, and I was definitely a bit rusty last night. Thankfully I'm a keeper so my lack of conditioning wasn't as bad as it could have been. But our team was full of guys like me who hadn't played in years (or ever) and we played a team of varsity players from the local community college... Let's just say I got plenty of action in goal. I played okay but gave up a couple dumb goals, we had no chance of winning anyways though so I still had a lot of fun.

I can't get over how sweet the new gloves I got are. They were $30 online compared to like $120 for the Adidas Fingersaves I used to have, and the foam on these things is amazing. I need to get pants though, my knees are torn to poo poo and I had forgotten how annoying that is. The rest of the teams in our league that I saw playing last night look pretty good too so I'll be getting a workout every week which is what I was hoping for. Should motivate me to do some other stuff to get into better shape as well.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah gloves being cheaper these days is great because picking yourself up on those rubber pellets quickly wears through the palms.

Decent 3/4 length or full length pants are essential for that surface, as you've noticed it tears the gently caress out of your legs.

Glad you had a good time, you'll quickly get back into the swing of it as a keeper, and remember to shout at the lazy bastards, but useful info!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I know guys who've played rugby union on turf.

The horror. The horror.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress. that.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
speaking of turf... https://vimeo.com/144423290

quote:

In this E:60 investigation, former US National Team star Julie Foudy examines the use of crumb rubber on synthetic turf fields by talking to those who make it, those who have studied it, including an exclusive interview with the head of the EPA, and the people who play on it every day…all with one question in mind. Is turf safe?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I remember reading an article a while back suggesting it might be carcinogenic!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Suprfli6, what gloves are those? Interested to hear, but also: if you aren't a SERIOUS goalkeeper and just want good indoor gloves that won't shred on turf, I'd recommend the Cutters goalkeeper gloves (the orange ones). Their C-tack material is really nice and grip-y as long as you're not in the rain.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 3, 2015

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

pangstrom posted:

Suprfli6, what gloves are those? Interested to hear, but also: if you aren't a SERIOUS goalkeeper and just want good indoor gloves that won't shred on turf, I'd recommend the Cutters goalkeeper gloves (the orange ones). Their C-tack material is really nice and grip-y as long as you're not in the rain.

The brand is Vizari, model is Modena FRF or something. I don't even remember this brand from when I played, it was all Adidas/Nike/Reusch for the most part. These ones have the finger support which I love; any time I get my hands x-rayed the technician or doctor comments on how many old fractures I have in my fingers. These gloves had good reviews on Amazon though and they lived up to it, although they mentioned the foam doesn't hold up very well which seems to be the case. They should last me 10 games though.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah inexpensive gloves have gotten a lot better, and in indoor especially you are rolling the dice on loving up your fingers if you don't have some support.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

3/4-length pants are the only thing during a season that stops me having perpetually ripped up knees for 24 weeks through the middle of the year.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Yep first thing this morning I ordered some pants. I was surprised my shorts with the hip pads still fit me, but they don't do anything for my knees so they weren't gonna cut it. Besides, barring the freak 70 degree weather right now in NY, the nights in the dome are going to be chilly and pants help with that for sure.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

So after doing my Achilles a few years ago I came back only to do my MCL this year. Got back playing and did my ankle last night. Sign me up Wengy!

Thankfully it's just bruised and swollen and hopefully I'll only be out a few weeks. Being old loving sucks lads.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Ewar Woowar posted:

Getting old loving sucks lads.

This x a million

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
wherein we are actually going to play football just as soon as our knees and ankles etc.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em

pangstrom posted:

wherein we are actually going to play football just as soon as our knees and ankles etc.

4 weeks until they say I can try running again. baby steps!

Twat le Piss
Aug 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ewar Woowar posted:

So after doing my Achilles a few years ago I came back only to do my MCL this year. Got back playing and did my ankle last night. Sign me up Wengy!

Thankfully it's just bruised and swollen and hopefully I'll only be out a few weeks. Being old loving sucks lads.

:hellyeah:

Achilles is a bitch, especially when the surgeon says in the diagnosis that it's a typical middle aged sports injury! I'm in my 30s you arse!!!

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

Twat le Piss posted:

it's a typical middle aged sports injury! I'm in my 30s you arse!!!

About that? I have some bad news....

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm playing my first fives game since I completely hosed up my ankle last year. My only practice has been playing balloon football with my nephew. Gonna be great.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Twat le Piss posted:

:hellyeah:

Achilles is a bitch, especially when the surgeon says in the diagnosis that it's a typical middle aged sports injury! I'm in my 30s you arse!!!

I actually thought the MCL was worse than snapping NY Achilles. Once the latter healed I had lost a bit of pace but no problems with anything else. The MCL is still causing me problems and I've lost a lot of pace and a ton of agility. I'm 35 now so age is probably having a noticeable effect too.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I could only imagine the pain of snapping an achilles.

In better news, the military has finally decided, after three years, that enough is enough and are starting to medboard me. This means I'll get medically retired. And probably get a paycheck for the rest of my life.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)

Soulex posted:

I could only imagine the pain of snapping an achilles.

In better news, the military has finally decided, after three years, that enough is enough and are starting to medboard me. This means I'll get medically retired. And probably get a paycheck for the rest of my life.

:cmon:

That's ace news!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Good news Soulex.

In being old chat, it usually takes me two or three days before I can workout again after playing on Sunday on turf. My knees are just so drat sore. I'm only 31!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah. The journey is over for the most part. The sad part is I'll live with this pain for the rest of my life, I'll never play again, more than likely be on pain meds the rest of that time too. It's bad enough that I have a handicap placard right now. BUT there are benefits I'll eventually get.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
The Locker Room: wherein we actually are too injured to play football.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Just bought two Nike balls from Amazon, reviews seem to be decent enough but are there any balls less prone to rapid deflation I should be aware of? Usually I don't involve myself in this but last Wednesday a particularly vicious effort on goal killed the long standing ball, with no spare we ended up asking the venue who provided an absolutely horrendous stand in and that needs to be avoided at all costs in the future.

Despite playing 5-a-side on turf and me being hot dog shite I am partial to playing aerial through balls and lofted passes, the stand in ball was no good at all if t left the ground.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

Had the most fun I've had today in the last couple of seasons. We won a tournament game against a much better team in PKs. It's an ongoing tournament that takes place over the course of a year and we play 90 minute games, but if it's tied at the end of the game we go straight to PKs. They scored with about 6 minutes left and we scored with 3 minutes.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

cosmicjim posted:

The Locker Room: wherein we actually are too injured to play football.

I actually haven't missed a single match this season... unlike most of the good players on my team, who just keep getting injured. When I'm one of the guys who has to carry the team it's bad, bad news.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I know that PITUAE plays a bunch, and someone on his team has to wear a kit with "Tubgirl 69" as the name and number.

Other than that, yeah, seems a bit accurate that most of us are too broke to play consistently or at least, get hurt a bunch. Who knows, I could always uphold the American tradition and just become a keeper.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I usually stay banged up and usually have a limp on Mondays, but fortunately I'm almost never too injured to play. It's been about 8 or 9 years since my last major injury(mcl/lcl). After tearing them I couldn't understand how some people claimed to tear a knee ligament and finish a match. Especially the ACL since it is regarded as the worst to tear because it provides the most stability. So I just tore my MCL and LCL, why was I being such a bitch about it? I didn't figure out until much later it was because of the combination. LCL connects the femur to the "small legbone", and MCL connects to the shinbone, so my support was screwed up to both bones and couldn't lean on one to compensate for the other. I'm not a doctor, but this seems to make sense to me.

Here's a question that might be fun.
Are any of you in leagues that have a website?
This is the website for my league. http://www.hasl.org/
5 ranking divisions, 1 women's division, and 1 over 35 division in Huntsville, Alabama.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I came back on about 10 minutes after tearing my ACL and tried to play again the next week, maybe you're just a pussy?

The actual act of tearing it is the worst pain I've ever felt

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
There's some lovely website for my league that I can't find (which requires players pay a $45 player card fee on top of team registration fee for each player, for both Summer and Spring) and another lovely website for the indoor league I play in. Topped Div 2 in the fall outdoor, so moving up to Div 1 in the spring. The indoor team hasn't lost or drawn a game since March, but the level of competition on Sunday is pretty bad for some reason.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
gently caress, so disappointed. lost in the 1st round in my 7v7 coed league as the third seed (out of 8). if you win in the 1st round, you automatically get 2 more games but since we lost, now we're in the offseason (for 3 weeks) :dota101:

also, need to find girls who can pass the ball :doink:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

So I was playing outside at the start of June, running onto the ball and got blindsided by a dump truck disguised as a tiny 5' girl

With this result

leading to this

No breaks, but I apparently BADLY sprained both sets of ligaments on either side of my foot AND pulled the Achilles. I have no idea how the gently caress I managed to do all three of them but it sucked.

Playing again for the first time this week, gonna take it super easy. I'm 33 and getting old sucks :(