Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Trabisnikof posted:

Those communities with poor mailing infrastructure, poor literacy rates, etc. It is easier for a non-profit to organize a GOTV van on election day, than it is to track down and engage many people over a wider time period and in particular when you consider the way some states have implemented rules regulating who can help with mail ballots.

Also the homeless are still effected, because as I pointed out earlier, that just because you're in one shelter one month, doesn't mean you'll be able to back in a month to get your ballot. For example, some shelters require you bring special ID or show up at special times to get your mail.

Or if you're at a Salvation Army shelter, but then get kicked out for being gay, hope you're able to file a change of address form in time!

Also, why can't we do the same thing with a holiday, it's much easier for a state to suggest (then require) election day is a holiday than for congress to do so?

You keep bringing up shelters (and these are important issues!), but post offices among other places were also listed. It's obviously not a complete solution, but that unless you have a state that somehow decided to have all absentee voting but were shitheads enough to limit handling of sealed ballots, that same GOTV van can pick up ballots instead. The rest of the issues you brought up aren't improved by standard poll schemes. Same with the issue of homelessness, since I've typically has to go to a specific polling place.

As for the holiday issue, you used the phrase "national holiday", but even if we're talking at the state level, holidays aren't allowed to be taken by those who need them the most. By mailing out ballots, you avoid this issue all together.

The thing is, despite not fixing everything, all absentee voting is a huge improvement over standard polling station voting.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
gently caress Jesus. He can go to hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

greatn posted:

gently caress Jesus. He can go to hell.

He's already been, it was to redeem the souls of the lost and tell Satan that death is no longer his victory.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

He got heckled by people over his tax plan (cut them all) too. He's so good at campaigning.

He also let this little gem slip:

quote:

@kyledcheney: Bush rips FDA approval of OxyContin for children. "Pain is part of life," he says in long conversation about overprescribing.

There actually is a huge problem with OxyContin overprescription contributing to abuse and a massive heroin epidemic in this country and he addresses it by telling pediatric patients to suck it up and deal.

Every time I almost feel sorry for this guy I think of his "work harder and longer, proles" solution to economic growth, his proposed nightmarish foreign policy all-star team, and quotes like this revealing how much of a heartless rear end in a top hat he really is and I just root for the knife in his chest to be twisted further.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

lol this election really broke some you guys

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Your silence only incriminates you further.
You can win elections off of abortion and gay marriage as long as the electorate isn't, as a whole, scared about their financial prospects. It doesn't matter how red or blue your constituents are, though, if they are terrified that they are going to lose their house and your opponent steps in with proposals that go beyond platitudes about small businesses. The problem is that in order to actually address those problems you will have to do things that the people who finance political campaigns absolutely does not want on the table in any shape or form. They don't mind the electorate fighting over social issues because they do not have a uniform interest in dudes kissing or fetuses. They drat near unanimously do not want to pay taxes, though.

You don't have to look back very far to see this in action. In 2008 people were legitimately very scared about the future and lots of people who had good white collar jobs were sweating it and talking like Che. Now the dust has settled and they feel they are no longer on the chopping block and they are once again Very Serious People, but it was there for everyone to see less than eight years ago.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dr. Tough posted:

This happens every November, it's the most wonderful time of the year.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Those kids usually have something terrible like bone cancer, right? Nice work, ¡Jeb!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Crowsbeak posted:

All to often the democrats select people who are almost as neoliberal the gopper and whose only real defining difference is their maybe slightly liberal stance on social issues, but then then their in states where people ID the GOP as the party of government and they are not actually offering any different answers then the GOP, while at the same time putting on airs, that doesn't incentivize voters to support them.

I don't know if it would really help but maybe we could attach a car battery to the skeleton of Huey Long and put it on TV in campaign ads? Can't be too much worse than the current D effort in deep-red southern districts.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Dr. Tough posted:

And also Bush

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Solkanar512 posted:

Those kids usually have something terrible like bone cancer, right? Nice work, ¡Jeb!

Stuff happens

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

When people are feeling desperate and they don't have any good options you see a demagogue like Trump or a know-nothing church mouse like Carson in hot demand because they are perceived as being outside the system. They don't have any ideas that will actually help regular people but at least they aren't part of the establishment that has turned your political system into a joke. This isn't a problem with the Republican party, but with our electorate and it could easily go in a very nasty direction of wages stay stagnant and the cost of living keeps going up.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

He also let this little gem slip:

There actually is a huge problem with OxyContin overprescription contributing to abuse and a massive heroin epidemic in this country and he addresses it by telling pediatric patients to suck it up and deal.

Every time I almost feel sorry for this guy I think of his "work harder and longer, proles" solution to economic growth, his proposed nightmarish foreign policy all-star team, and quotes like this revealing how much of a heartless rear end in a top hat he really is and I just root for the knife in his chest to be twisted further.

Is the "pain is part of life" on tape? Video? Is the audio clear? Because that's class A attack ad material. You can even have your super Pac ad narrator say "and instead of getting kids the healthcare their doctor prescripes, Bush says..." And have it play.

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

I don't know if it would really help but maybe we could attach a car battery to the skeleton of Huey Long and put it on TV in campaign ads? Can't be too much worse than the current D effort in deep-red southern districts.

Eventually there will be a populist demagogue candidate who is actually good at politics and let's really hope he's like Huey Long rather than George Rockwell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Is the "pain is part of life" on tape? Video? Is the audio clear? Because that's class A attack ad material. You can even have your super Pac ad narrator say "and instead of getting kids the healthcare their doctor prescripes, Bush says..." And have it play.

The man is already dead, have you no decency left?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

zoux posted:

The man is already dead, have you no decency left?

Let's all piss on the corpse. It'll be hilarious.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

When people are feeling desperate and they don't have any good options you see a demagogue like Trump or a know-nothing church mouse like Carson in hot demand because they are perceived as being outside the system. They don't have any ideas that will actually help regular people but at least they aren't part of the establishment that has turned your political system into a joke. This isn't a problem with the Republican party, but with our electorate and it could easily go in a very nasty direction of wages stay stagnant and the cost of living keeps going up.

I'm not sure I understand your post completely, but I think what you're trying to say is both known and not disputed. Simply throwing out populist candidates to counter, however, isn't a solution because it ignores the other realities of our political system.

To my mind, no matter how badly you want to change this, it's nothing you can solve in short order. The solution is going to be one or two decades in the works, meaning you elect candidates who can enact portions of the policy you wnat and put people in positions to carry out and maintain long term goals and objectives (SCOTUS and select agency heads). That means compromise internally with some of what you want and a serviceable candidate instead of an un-electable candidate with all the policy you want.

I think that's just reality, really at any level. Hoping for a populist candidate to overcome the electorate and institutional roadblocks is just hoping to win the lottery - sure it happens, but not in any way for which you can plan.

Boon fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 4, 2015

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Solkanar512 posted:

Or just broken bones. You can make a recommended pediatric dose of just about any drug.

I'd like to see that shithead get a compound fracture and try to get through it with a stiff upper lip and children's tylenol.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jonked posted:

As a Pittsburgh resident, I want to make it clear that this is absurdly wrong.

We talk like Boomhauser and say Yinz in the city as well. (Also the state party isn't particularly eager to remove the prestige and power of being a semi -swing state, just for the benefit of some dick from Texas/Florida with the added risk of drawing Dem GOTV efforts to Erie/Harrisburg. No supreme court necessary)

Pittsburgh is the "actually West Virginia but close enough" reference :v:

On the other hand, at least you have two cities. Where I am only has one, and it's full of real dedicated bastards who managed to cancel the abolition of prisoner-killing by the state legislature and push it to a ballot measure.

On the upside: a surprisingly human take on immigrants within the city (countered by the garbage views of garbage people out in the garbage burbs) due to the presence of a historically-cemented latino immigrant community in the south end of the city which is a cool as hell part of town with tiled fountains and great food and wonderful people.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Dr. Tough posted:

The Republican Party is irrelevant! Nobody votes for them anymore!

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Re: Jeb!'s botched response to drug addiction, did anybody see the Chris Christie video where he talks about drug addiction? The man is absolutely loathsome, but in this one instance he was reasonable and spoke incredibly eloquently and humanely about the topic but in terms that even conservatives would have difficulty arguing against.

That is how loving bad Jeb! is at campaigning.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Active Shooter in San Diego, sounds like a guy trying to play sniper from the 6th floor of an apartment building, doesn't sound like he got anybody yet, SWAT seems to have him pinned down:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-San-Diego-Laurel-Gunshots-340219382.html

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Doctor Butts posted:

What's this Lipstick Apathy tag under your name?
I think it's for people who donated to the DB3 upgrade. Lowtax said we'd be underwhelmed by our reward!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think it's for people who donated to the DB3 upgrade. Lowtax said we'd be underwhelmed by our reward!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749978

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Neeksy posted:

Re: Jeb!'s botched response to drug addiction, did anybody see the Chris Christie video where he talks about drug addiction? The man is absolutely loathsome, but in this one instance he was reasonable and spoke incredibly eloquently and humanely about the topic but in terms that even conservatives would have difficulty arguing against.

Christie and Kasich, and to a degree Rand, are th eonly ones without really loving awful views on this and I nearly went through the screen on Fiorina.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Christie and Kasich, and to a degree Rand, are th eonly ones without really loving awful views on this and I nearly went through the screen on Fiorina.

She damaged her head when she busted through the glass ceiling.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Neeksy posted:

Out done by a fatter, louder Fred Flintstone. lol

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 4, 2015

Maarek
Jun 9, 2002

Boon posted:

...maintain long term goals and objectives (SCOTUS and select agency heads). That means compromise internally with some of what you want and a serviceable candidate instead of an un-electable candidate with all the policy you want.

I think that's just reality, really at any level.

Yes and in the Democratic party that compromise is always selecting a water boy for Citigroup and Raytheon in exchange for a SCOTUS nominee who won't overturn Roe v Wade. The hard decisions always have to be made in regards to 'entitlements' and programs that the poor rely on. For liberals who aren't worried about bankruptcy or their mortgage this might just be an acceptable reality, but for people who ARE worried about them it's just reaffirming that they have no place in the political system (or worse, the party).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

Sharon Hackworth, 66, a retired elementary school teacher and former local Democratic Party chairwoman whose husband, also a Democrat, spent 13 years as Shelbyville’s mayor, emerged from the polling place having voted for Mr. Conway, and promptly ran into friends who are Republicans.

“Our state and our county are in transition,” she said.

Michelle Zimmerman, a 43-year-old nurse, said she voted Democratic in the last two governor’s races but had voted for Mr. Bevin this time; she found his views more in keeping with her values. “I’m pretty conservative,” she said. One factor in her decision: She and her husband say they can no longer afford their health insurance because the premiums have gone up since the Affordable Care Act went into effect.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/04/u...v=top-news&_r=2

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Hahaha that shooter in San Diego is directly under a San Diego airport flight path so all arrivals are cancelled at the moment. One crazy dude with a rifle is going to really gently caress up everyone's day.

edit: His demands to the police are that he's tired of being disrespected and wants a flight to Australia.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Maarek posted:

Yes and in the Democratic party that compromise is always selecting a water boy for Citigroup and Raytheon in exchange for a SCOTUS nominee who won't overturn Roe v Wade. The hard decisions always have to be made in regards to 'entitlements' and programs that the poor rely on. For liberals who aren't worried about bankruptcy or their mortgage this might just be an acceptable reality, but for people who ARE worried about them it's just reaffirming that they have no place in the political system (or worse, the party).

I get that, but what I'm saying is that this is all known. The conversation can't end at "we need populist candidates" without also acknowledging that there is no currently viable way for that to successfully occur. The conversation has to focus on:
a) is that the right answer?
b) how does that become viable, if so.
c) what's the right answer, if not.

You're not saying anything that people don't already understand implicity or explicitly and it's not solving any problems. Take Bernie for instance. Let's say he wins the election and becomes President. What then? He almost certainly will not be able to make an impact in any real sense and all the hopes and dreams of the populist movement that got him elected evaporates as they settle in for more of the same. There was no big success and no dynamic shift but there were at least some appointments with long term impact and incremental change wherever he could snag a win. Meanwhile, he's effectively poisoned the well that those like him can really offer any solutions until the next populist candidate comes along and offers a different message of dynamic change which for the same reasons never materializes.

There are institutional blocks here that prevent what you want from happening. So what policy positions are really important to facilitating this, and who can enact that? How do we set the conversation within the system to facilitate these incremental changes? What are the stages to reach the desired political end and over what period of years is this effort to be sustained?

Boon fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 4, 2015

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pathetic little tramp posted:

Active Shooter in San Diego, sounds like a guy trying to play sniper from the 6th floor of an apartment building, doesn't sound like he got anybody yet, SWAT seems to have him pinned down:

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local/Shooting-San-Diego-Laurel-Gunshots-340219382.html

Welp he's gonna suicide himself.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Hahaha that shooter in San Diego is directly under a San Diego airport flight path so all arrivals are cancelled at the moment. One crazy dude with a rifle is going to really gently caress up everyone's day.

edit: His demands to the police are that he's tired of being disrespected and wants a flight to Australia.

Point Break taught me that we have extradition with Australia.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I found this article on the same website to be more persuasive. Basically if you want better Democractic results down-ticket, you're going to need a Republican President.

http://www.vox.com/mischiefs-of-faction/2015/10/26/9616412/the-democrats-woes-are-overstated

Also, :siren:Lessig just quit the Democractic race:siren:

Does anyone have eyes on Boyko?!?!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maarek posted:

But this ignores the other half of the political reality where they want to not only tear these programs apart, but a lot of them want to do the same to the communities that need them.

Yes, it loving sucks that we can't win elections on a national income as Democrats, but I don't think blaming the majoritarian nature of the party is the way forward. We need to maintain majoritarianism and at the same time, shift the national culture towards our goals.

We need thought leaders to lead our politicians and that is lacking on the left.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

That explains why there are no planes flying over my head every 5 minutes. Living in the flight path sucks.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Pohl posted:

That explains why there are no planes flying over my head every 5 minutes. Living in the flight path sucks.

Hey all those old white people who were pissed about the changing flight path now have a solution: Just get out on your roof with a rifle.

Suspect is surrendering, throwing his guns out the window where of course they are firing rounds as they impact on the ground. This guy is a genius.

Shageletic posted:

Also, :siren:Lessig just quit the Democractic race:siren:

Yeah like a week ago dude :oldnews:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah like a week ago dude :oldnews:

You're old news!!!!!

EDIT: Looks like its the video of him crying about that came out on Monday http://www.vox.com/2015/11/2/9659014/lawrence-lessig-quits-presidential

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't know why you think the GOP will die with old people. Meet the littlest xenophobe.

quote:

She was about four feet tall and dressed like an American Girl Doll, in a peacoat and newsboy hat. She was missing several teeth, and she smiled proudly as she held a sign in the air. It was hand-drawn, and it had taken her about an hour to make. It was decorated with glittery stars. In blue and red marker she wrote, “MAKE AMERICA GREAT! DONALD TRUMP.”

She said her name was Averie, she was in the second grade and her favorite subject in school was English. Her mom, who looked like a Real Housewife but claimed to be a magician’s assistant, stood nearby and introduced herself as Renee Paige of Saddle River, New Jersey. (She said she couldn’t say which magician she assisted, but that he was very well known).

“Yes, I took her out of school today for this special occasion,” she said. “She wants to meet Trump so badly.”

She likes Trump because he would “make America great again,” in the words of his campaign slogan, and said that if it were up to her, she would made America great again by banning drugs and smoking.

“I like the kind of stuff he says,” she smiled.

“I want him to—what?” she looked up at Dawn, who was coaching her through the questions reporters asked her.

“I want him to fix the economy, right?” she asked.

Speaking slowly, careful not to get anything wrong, she continued, looking to Dawn for guidance all the while.

“And… illegal aliens… and only let people that I know into the country… other people into the country are bad, like ISIS… you cannot let them in.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Dr. Tough posted:

Sorry that some of us aren't hollow inside?

Oh no wait I'm not sorry for giving a poo poo about the less fortunate and gently caress you for mocking empathy and compassion.

• Locked thread