Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
And if you read the article, you'd see that the DGA pretty much punted on Kentucky already, which was dumb as gently caress, but they're clearly aiming for 16, 17 and 18, which present the most opportunities for pick ups, since there are more places to make Republicans waste their money.

Also, 18 can't be "another 2010/2014" because basically every Democrat left is pretty much in a safe district. There's a way better shot for Dems to pick off Republicans in more moderate districts than the reverse.

But gently caress, I'd hate to let reality get in the way of my doom and gloom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
How hard could it really be to not flub like that? It seems pretty straightforward. "Am I about to say something about someone nicer than accusing them of being a pigfucker? If so, don't say it."

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Well he really jebbed that question.

please let this be a thing

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Meanwhile, your Republican front runner.

quote:

At the 1998 commencement for Andrews University, a school associated with Seventh-day Adventist Church, Carson also dismissed the notion that aliens were somehow involved in the construction of the pyramids.

"My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain," Carson said. "Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs' graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don't think it'd just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain."

In the Old Testament, Joseph, one of the 12 sons of Jacob, is sold into slavery in Egypt by his jealous brothers. He eventually rose to become a top aide to the Egyptian Pharaoh, advising him of a dream vision he had of coming years of famine in the ancient kingdom. Joseph's sage advise of the coming famine (and directions to store gain) helped the Egyptians survive the famine.

Carson said the design of the pyramids made clear it was for grain storage.

"And when you look at the way that the pyramids are made, with many chambers that are hermetically sealed, they'd have to be that way for various reasons. And various of scientists have said, 'well, you know there were alien beings that came down and they have special knowledge and that's how-' you know, it doesn't require an alien being when God is with you."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm just gonna repost this at the top of the page, because it is clearly the most important political news today.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Did anyone do a backstory piece on Carson and what his colleagues thought of him when he was in the middle of his career? Was he always a complete fool.?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Everblight posted:

please let this be a thing

Jeb:(

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

mcmagic posted:

Did anyone do a backstory piece on Carson and what his colleagues thought of him when he was in the middle of his career? Was he always a complete fool.?

He wrote an excellent piece about dismantling for profit health insurance and how government should step in and provide catastrophic care.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

I like how everything about it is uniquely wrong.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I'm just gonna repost this at the top of the page, because it is clearly the most important political news today.
It's extra terrible because those dog and pony shows already came off as bullshit lip service even before it was out in the open that they were bought and paid for.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Please oh please oh please get the nomination. I want to see him and Fox News bitch and complain about Hillary being too tough on him in debates.

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Solkanar512 posted:

It's called "All mail in absentee voting".

It's not hard, and a few states already do it. I don't know why folks keep forgetting that this is even an option.

This is a few pages ago but San Francisco has no requirements on mail in voting beyond asking for the form with an address to mail it to.
It's a pretty politically aware city with mayoral race and a few controversial well publicized propositions on the ballot this year.
Voter turnout yesterday was 30% of registered voters. Half were mail in, the other half walk in.

That's abysmal. Massive GotV efforts can't combat people's laziness and apathy.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And if you read the article, you'd see that the DGA pretty much punted on Kentucky already, which was dumb as gently caress, but they're clearly aiming for 16, 17 and 18, which present the most opportunities for pick ups, since there are more places to make Republicans waste their money.

Also, 18 can't be "another 2010/2014" because basically every Democrat left is pretty much in a safe district. There's a way better shot for Dems to pick off Republicans in more moderate districts than the reverse.

But gently caress, I'd hate to let reality get in the way of my doom and gloom.

Where are you getting your facts? Because 2018 is a horrible map for the Democratic party, especially in the Senate.

I think you are sticking your head in the sand. History and the facts point to the Democratic party losing heavily in 2018 if Clinton gets elected President.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Rollofthedice posted:

I like how everything about it is uniquely wrong.

Ben Carson hasn't announced a campaign song yet right?

Here ya go Ben, pour vous:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L24HbpvQXmo

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

JT Jag posted:

Fascism, in my country?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Kinda pales against the Pentagon literally paying for supposedly objective CNN military analysts to advocate for the Iraq War.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grain Storage? How the gently caress does he not know pyramids are exclusively for dead pharaoh storage?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

That scandal did not involve professional organized sporting events, which are the most sacrosanct things in this country.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Grain Storage? How the gently caress does he not know pyramids are exclusively for dead pharaoh storage?

Uh did you see a sign that said dead pharoah storage outside the pyramids?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pillowpants posted:

So,

In my city I've been waging a completely fake over the top write in campaign to become dictator of the city. I've spent two months talking about making rivers run with chocolate, annexing surrounding towns, deciding leash law disputes with duels etc etc etc. while at the same time asking everyone to stop name calling each other. I've been doing this on all Facebook with photoshopped signs and long rants every few days.

Last night, this got me elected to the Housing Authority in my city and I came in second for Planning Board, and got 12 votes for city council.

please please please be comfortable enough with outing yourself to let us know where exactly this is because if true this is hilarious.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pictured here, what Carson thinks a scientist looks like

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/LVYIxrSw3L8/maxresdefault.jpg

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

FAUXTON posted:

He acknowledges that theory, then dismisses it.

Ben Carson posted:

“My own personal theory is that Joseph built the pyramids to store grain,” Carson said. “Now all the archeologists think that they were made for the pharaohs’ graves. But, you know, it would have to be something awfully big if you stop and think about it. And I don’t think it’d just disappear over the course of time to store that much grain.”

I have no idea what he means by that, and I've read Exodus a bunch of times...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

zoux posted:

Actually there were in fact a lot of signs and hieroglyphics that said Dead Pharaoh storage outside of the Pyramids.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Mitt Romney posted:

Where are you getting your facts? Because 2018 is a horrible map for the Democratic party, especially in the Senate.

I think you are sticking your head in the sand. History and the facts point to the Democratic party losing heavily in 2018 if Clinton gets elected President.

I think you're being a pessimistic dumbass.

The House can't get any worse.

The 18 Senate map is only bad because we have a bunch of seats to defend, but most of them won't be *too* bad (and we'll likely gain seats this round)

Of those, Missouri, Montana and ND are the only ones I am really worried about. IN is prolly gone. But given:

We'll likely pick up at least 4-5 of those (NH, ILL, WIsconsin, PA, and FL) and then depending could also pick up maybe LA and NC if things went really well.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Hollismason posted:

Actually there were in fact a lot of signs and hieroglyphics that said Dead Pharaoh storage outside of the Pyramids.

Besides the fact that there were actually dead pharaohs inside.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

But hey, we'll prolly lose all the competitive seats because ~history~ or something.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

archangelwar posted:

Besides the fact that there were actually dead pharaohs inside.

"Do I have a sign on my lawn that says dead pharaoh storage?"

Is Carson one of David Barton's admirers?

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

whitey delenda est posted:

please please please be comfortable enough with outing yourself to let us know where exactly this is because if true this is hilarious.

Pillowpants is pretty drat solid so I believe him.
Which is just :lol:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So nearly all, 95%, of TV ad buys in the GOP presidential primary campaigns have come from superPACs, with just 5% coming from the campaigns. Those numbers are exactly reversed in the D race.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The 18 Senate map is only bad because we have a bunch of seats to defend, but most of them won't be *too* bad (and we'll likely gain seats this round)

Of those, Missouri, Montana and ND are the only ones I am really worried about. IN is prolly gone. But given:

We'll likely pick up at least 4-5 of those (NH, ILL, WIsconsin, PA, and FL) and then depending could also pick up maybe LA and NC if things went really well.

Which map is which here?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
If you want to see it in its entirety, look up "Amesbury Squawks" on facebook. It's a public group with 4000 people in it. All the fake signs and all of my ridiculous posts are in it.

You'll also see me linking "political clowncar" which is my politics group on Facebook

whitey delenda est posted:

I spent five years doing budgets for people here. I'm not exactly hiding behind pillow pants haha

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I think Carson played a little too much Civilization.

(In most of the Civ series building the Pyramids gives you a free granary in every city)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Are you guys saying that the science of what the pyramids were for is settled? Because we don't take kindly to that kind of statement... :toughguy:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Now I want a TV edit of Pulp Fiction that uses this line.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

Which map is which here?

First map is 18, the one he says is TERRIBLE FOR DEMOCRATS.

Second map is 16, which is a rough slate for Republicans.

Also, I didn't realize Coats of IN isn't running again, and they don't have anyone of note running yet, while Dems got Baron Hill to get into the race, so that could be interesting at least. I am sure Fried Chicken has some thoughts on that though.

Dem's pulled some really strong candidates for '16, like Masto in NV (though that's going to be a tough race.)

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 4, 2015

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Saying it's likely that the Democratic party will pick up 4-5 senate seats in 2016 is very wishful thinking and not in line with reality. You are saying its likely that the Democratic party takes back the Senate in 2016. It's possible but saying it's expected is a bit wishful.

http://www.270towin.com/2016-senate-election/

Mitt Romney fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 4, 2015

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pillowpants posted:

If you want to see it in its entirety, look up "Amesbury Squawks" on facebook. It's a public group with 4000 people in it. All the fake signs and all of my ridiculous posts are in it.

You'll also see me linking "political clowncar" which is my politics group on Facebook

I spent five years doing budgets for people here. I'm not exactly hiding behind pillow pants haha

so 32 people wrote your name in, drat how tiny is your town

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

Saying it's likely that the Democratic party will pick up 4-5 senate seats in 2016 is very wishful thinking and not in line with reality. You are saying its likely that the Democratic party takes back the Senate in 2016.

http://www.270towin.com/2016-senate-election/

I think there's a very good chance that we can take back the Senate in 2016 and isn't simply "wishful thinking." At the very least, we're poised to do very well in 2016, and the 18 races aren't nearly as daunting as you're trying to make them.

But then you're prolly penciling in an R for WV, which tells me what I need to know.

Let me go further, prediction guys all list 5 seats that are held by Republicans as Toss Ups, and Ohio/PA as Lean R, which I think is iffy. There's also a shot a strong Dem could win LA if it involves Vitter because of the jungle primary. NC could be in play, but I don't think it will be.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 4, 2015

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Perhaps realizing that they don't actually do anything anyways, congress is going to be working even less days next year. Including taking the entire month of October off, possibly to avoid doing and saying stupid poo poo to harm the elections.

I wish I could work 2 days a week and get paid that much for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

mandatory lesbian posted:

so 32 people wrote your name in, drat how tiny is your town

16,000. Nobody ran for the two open spots and we had 30% turnout. There were 2800 blanks per spot

Pillowpants fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 4, 2015

• Locked thread