Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Bobby is catholic which probably complicates the whole thing. I hate the bi-erasure but whatever, sexuality's a social construct and in the 2000s comics can't handle anything of societal importance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lemire's last team book sucked. Everybody was wooden and the same.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm not sure where the bi erasure is coming from, Jean didn't say bi people don't exist, just that Bobby wasn't bi.

Unless there was something else?

Pindakaas
Jul 8, 2003

I'm not a baby I'm a man! An Anchorman!
He can just date himself. I don't think there's anything in the bible about timetravel dating.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea that was perfectly fine having Adult Bobby admit it, and his reasoning made perfect sense.

But yea, what the hell was the ending of that? Scott saying this is a mutant revolution then Magneto coming down and going "Charles would have loved it" and then Eva is talking to Beast. I did enjoy Illyana and Peter reconciling though, with her admitting she's the fuckup.

Rachael and Miles had Hopeless on, and he sounds like he's got a grasp of who the characters is, I guess he's just a bad writer. Though I admit I liked Inferno where most people here didn't.

EDIT: After reading the first few Extraordinary pages, I guess whatever Scott was talking about lead to something bad. Scott Summers you're the worst.

And I really liked Extraordinary, looks like a good setup for the serious X-men story.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Nov 4, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

BrianWilly posted:

I just read it and...well...it was kinda anticlimactic, wasn't it? And not just the gaiety; the whole issue was anticlimactic.

Which...y'know. Bendis. :v: But, hey, I can live with it.

The one thing that takes a bit of the wind out of a bit of the sails for me on this is that there are, frankly, a bunch of characters out there already who are both openly LGBT and a mutant, so this whole thing about Bobby being [dramatic voice]gaaaay AAAND a MUTAANT[/dramatic voice] is not really -- to put it most generously -- as unique or as big of a deal as Bendis seems to be making it out to be. I mean, obviously it's still very oppressive, and obviously it's gonna be a big deal to Bobby personally, but frankly I find his denial and repression of his identity much more interesting than his...how do I put it?...dual-persecution status?

Which is to say...I don't think Bendis made Bobby repressed enough. I feel like Bobby admitted it (albeit to himself, and to a psychic) far too easily. I kinda wanted more angst about his repression. But there wasn't really any dramatic twist to this, was there? He just kinda sighed and complained and then there were some hugs. Young Bobby had a more dramatic reaction to this than old Bobby did. Psychics other than Jean must have realized that Bobby was gay before now, but we don't touch on that at all.

In fact, we examine literally none of the repercussions of this...like, what's either Bobby gonna do about it now? Hell if we know 'cuz Bendis just ends his run on a whimper (literally Hank McCoy is whimpering in his room) and leaves all this for others to handle, exactly like how I suspected this might end back in April.

'Cuz...y'know. Bendis. :v:

As much as people complain about this sort of thing, I can't really think of a whole lot of long standing characters who have, being the same character we always knew instead of some sort of alternate or new version, come out of the closet. A lot of diversity these days seems to be in the vein of new, young, invariable teenage it seems, characters.

It's kind of nice to have somebody actually come out from being closeted, actually echoing the same mindset that often goes with that process. I mean, if you're writing an actual Iceman character piece then sure-- it would be nice to go deeper into the entire thing, but you're not: he's one character in an ensemble book.

Still, I read Iceman's bit about the process of just compartmentalizing everything and it was instantly relatable.

zoux posted:

I'm not sure where the bi erasure is coming from, Jean didn't say bi people don't exist, just that Bobby wasn't bi.

Unless there was something else?

Like everything else where Jean Gray opens her mouth, the process of her affirming Bobby's homosexuality was really hamfisted. Like, it would have been actually better if they'd used the bisexual cloak of invisibility on that one and just not said anything.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Nov 4, 2015

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rick posted:

Bobby is catholic which probably complicates the whole thing.
He is?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Pindakaas posted:

He can just date himself. I don't think there's anything in the bible about timetravel dating.

Bible's got a pretty shaky claim on masturbation actually being a sin, so really, it all checks out.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

My issue with Bobby is that he's had several relationships that ere all written with the view that Bobby was straight the whole time. This rather blatant retcon makes all of those relationships in comics more or less a lie. Which I'm sure Bendis isn't broken up about in the case of Bobby/Kitty, but a lot of those were quite significant to Bobby's character. Hell, I think there was a issue of Astonishing where Bobby literally created subconscious iceclones of himself to protect all of his former love interests. Personally I think it would have been better to have him be bisexual, especially since there have been a whole bunch of openly Lesbian & Gay mutants, so his rationalisation makes no goddam sense. But I'm not LGBT, so I'm not the most qualified to argue about this. I'd probably have a lot less of an issue if the whole reveal hadn't been so cackhanded.

But then that's kind of how I see Bendis' whole run on X-Men. I'm especially broken up over X-23 getting dragged back into the X-Men books, since her whole driving force of her last solo run by Liu was her actually setting out to find her own identity independent of the X-Men. Only to get dragged back in and shackled to the All-New X-Men, which is the stupidest idea in recent X-Men history (because they're probably never going back in time - which is insane because Bendis clearly established himself that Teenclops nearly dying almost had Cyclops prime fading out BTTF-style in BFTA). Not to mention having her hooked up with Angel literally as an afterthought after Rucka took Teenclops off to space (was there ANY setup with her & Warren before it happened?). Plus Soule (who seems to otherwise be a great writer) had her stand by while her friend who - once talked her out of suicide - was being attacked and apparently killed in Wolverines. I think I'd have actually preferred her going into Avengers Undercover.

Still, what may be the worst run in X-Men comics since Austen is finally over. Except it's going to be leaving its awful mark on the X-books for years to come.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I can't believe he had Jean read someone's mind and effectively make a choice for them again and then had both characters she'd done that to say how rad she is for doing it

gently caress that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not what happened.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait Jean outed him again? That is lazy Bendis really lazy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
She didn't out him. Both young Bobby and young Jean went to talk to old Bobby, but that's it. As of now old Bobby is still in the closet to everyone else.

Although, at one point young Bobby straight up asks Jean what old Bobby is thinking, right there in front of him, and she just says it out loud like it's no big deal.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

I can't believe he had Jean read someone's mind and effectively make a choice for them again and then had both characters she'd done that to say how rad she is for doing it

gently caress that.
:agreed:

Frankly the All-New X-Men concept is terrible, since by definition they've entirely hosed up the spacetime continuum already. It feels more like fanfiction. It might have worked as a limited arc before they go back in time, but making it an ongoing series where they've spent at least 16 months in the future/present should have caused a ripple effect. We all know they're never going back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao though because they're going to have to go back to the past and none of their development would matter? vOv

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I say kill all the older versions of the X-Men and leave the younger ones. I'm much more interested in them.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zoux posted:

I don't want to straightsplain gay issues since there are probably gay posters who have actual life experience with it, but the question of if there's a duty to come out can be highly contentious.

Yeah but Northstar is an angry rear end in a top hat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I feel like if Jean wasn't involved with this I'd have way less of a problem

It'd still be an incredibly messy retcon that could have been way less messy if he had been bi instead, but the Jean stuff actively moves it into skeezy territory, especially since Bendis doesn't seem to realize what the problem is.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

X-O posted:

I say kill all the older versions of the X-Men and leave the younger ones. I'm much more interested in them.
This. I just wish they'd thought to bring a fresh copy of Polaris with them at the same time.

"Oh no, some kind of temporal wave.... *gasp* T-tearing young Havok apart right in front of us!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

She didn't out him. Both young Bobby and young Jean went to talk to old Bobby, but that's it. As of now old Bobby is still in the closet to everyone else.

Although, at one point young Bobby straight up asks Jean what old Bobby is thinking, right there in front of him, and she just says it out loud like it's no big deal.

He's allowed to do that, it's him.

Loophole.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

X-O posted:

Yes! Two down already!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like if Jean wasn't involved with this I'd have way less of a problem

It'd still be an incredibly messy retcon that could have been way less messy if he had been bi instead, but the Jean stuff actively moves it into skeezy territory, especially since Bendis doesn't seem to realize what the problem is.

It's just bad storytelling. It barely even qualifies as a coming-out story, given that there's no meaningful foreshadowing, the gay "protagonists" have no agency in identifying their own sexuality, and whatever struggle they may have with it (and with Jean invading their innermost thoughts) is neatly wrapped up in a page or two. And given the eight-month gap, it's not even clear we'll see either Bobby come out to anyone else.

Basically, it's a coming-out story minus anything that would make for compelling drama or organic character development.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It was pretty jarring to go from Uncanny where Scott gathers all the mutants for a peaceful demonstration and earns admiration for it, to Extraordinary where he did something and everyone hates him again.

Like, come on. Bendis wrapped up the whole "grr we hate Scott" thing and then on the same day they're right back at it.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
UXM: Incorporating intimidation into my revolution was wrong, mutants are here among you and we're nothing to be afraid of. *smiles into the sunset*
EXM: Oh my god, because of Scott, nobody is afraid of us anymore! It's open season on all mutants!

I'd love to peer inside the head of whoever decided to hold back Uncanny 600 to release it alongside Extraordinary. It makes EXM's poo poo premise come across even worse.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I think Old Bobby's reasoning makes even more sense because Bendis both does and does not adhere to the sliding timescale. So, like, whole the original X-Men were plucked from whenever ten years ago was they were ALSO plucked from the 1960s and being an openly gay mutant then would not have flown. And then, as Old Bobby explained, it snowballed - pun intended.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What kind of snowball are we talking about here?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

He's not nearly as Catholic as Nightcrawler, but it comes up from time to time. As Bobby himself explains in Iceman #1:

And it also comes up in more recent comics on very rare occasions:

(this one I have no idea on a source on, I just happened to have this image saved because I thought Iceman getting blessed by a priest while in ice form looked hilarious)

Codependent Poster posted:

It was pretty jarring to go from Uncanny where Scott gathers all the mutants for a peaceful demonstration and earns admiration for it, to Extraordinary where he did something and everyone hates him again.

Like, come on. Bendis wrapped up the whole "grr we hate Scott" thing and then on the same day they're right back at it.

That and Bendis saying he had UXM600 done well before SW started makes me wonder if Bendis was talking out his rear end (very unlikely), if Lemire just wasn't informed of the ending of Uncanny before writing EXM (probably), if there's supposed to be a #0 issue like Avengers #0 where we learn Scott invited everyone to DC so no mutants would be in New York when he detonated a nuke in Time Square, etc.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That is the one where they fight Dracula so him getting blessed makes sense I guess,

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Have they un-ruined Dracula yet?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

So in Extraordinary, did Storm just forget that normal people have mutant babies too, not just mutants?

It's just a dumb storyline all around that will be forgotten by the next superstar writer that wants to do something interesting with the X-men.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

Have they un-ruined Dracula yet?

still white haired and armored as of his last appearance in Deadpool

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

still white haired and armored as of his last appearance in Deadpool

:smith:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

kdrudy posted:

So in Extraordinary, did Storm just forget that normal people have mutant babies too, not just mutants?

It's just a dumb storyline all around that will be forgotten by the next superstar writer that wants to do something interesting with the X-men.

It'll be finished whenever Ike is finally pushed out and this nonsense with Inhumans trying to replace mutants is done with.

Like, the whole thing about the mists suddenly being deadly, and no more mutants! Ever! Again! is just so terrible.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Alright, I'm confused about the Uncanny/Bobby's reveal, I swear there were preview pages released where that specific scene played out to make present-Bobby realize young-Jean was controlling young-Bobby and the actual twist that neither versions of Bobby was gay and it was just young-Jean being selfish/evil for (reasons).

Was I just trolled by 'shops?

vvv Yeah :smith: Didn't realize it was part of a big trolling effort vvv

BetterToRuleInHell fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 5, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Quick question: were you on an imageboard with a blue background when you saw these 'previews'?

Circutron
Apr 29, 2006
We are confident that the Islamic logic, culture, and discourse can prove their superiority in all fields over all schools of thought and theories.

Lurdiak posted:

Quick question: were you on an imageboard with a blue background when you saw these 'previews'?

Yeah, /co/ is super pissed about this. Tumblr broke their collective minds a couple years ago.

On a side note, how was the last Nightcrawler run that Marvel did? I heard a few things to get me interested, and then the series just sort of vanished from discussion. Was it just subpar, then?

Circutron fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 5, 2015

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It made me very nostalgic for the 80s, but it went nowhere and did nothing. It was a fun trip though.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Circutron posted:

Yeah, /co/ is super pissed about this. Tumblr broke their collective minds a couple years ago.

On a side note, how was the last Nightcrawler run that Marvel did? I heard a few things to get me interested, and then the series just sort of vanished from discussion. Was it just subpar, then?

Modern day Claremont.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What was Nightcrawler's last run? I remember demon pirates in heaven and can't help but smile a little reflecting on the words I just typed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What was Nightcrawler's last run? I remember demon pirates in heaven and can't help but smile a little reflecting on the words I just typed.

Demon Pirates in heaven was Aaron's Amazing X-men

• Locked thread