Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
You all have wrong opinions. Mario 64 sucks butthole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Spintzel posted:

You all have wrong opinions. Mario 64 sucks butthole

actually, it's good

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

homeless snail posted:

Whether or not you think it's a good game, yes you should ignore that if you want to honestly evaluate it as a game and not a museum piece.

Oh I don't want to play it again. It's time is past its a Model T in terms of impact. But there is better cars out there but not when it hit the market or for some time after.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Mario 64 looks and controls like wet cardboard. At the time it was the best wet cardboard. But it was still wet cardboard

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

but is there pepper on the cardboard??

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
noirstronaut parachute account spotted

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Motto posted:

but is there pepper on the cardboard??

Marios hat is chili pepper powder

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

absolutely anything posted:

i am sorry about your hosed up childhood

Funny thing is up until I saw it on a worst old games list a few years back I thought it was considered a 10/10 best of N64 type of game. I had no idea anyone thought it was anything other than an incredible perfect platformer. To be honest though I really loving love gorillas.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Spintzel posted:

Mario 64 looks and controls like wet cardboard. At the time it was the best wet cardboard. But it was still wet cardboard

i agree

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Mario 64 was the last time I was actually amazed by the leap in graphics/technology.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

katkillad2 posted:

Mario 64 was the last time I was actually amazed by the leap in graphics/technology.

I'm sorry your heart was too much of a shriveled husk to appreciate Rogue Leader.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I think Banjo-Tooie is a genuinely really impressive technical achievement for the N64, alongside Perfect Dark.

Donkey Kong 64 is a game I have a really weird relationship with it, it's got a ton of problems and I'm never going to do another 101% playthrough again but I don't hate it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's not a weird relationship, most people don't 100% games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sin & Punishment is the most technically impressive game on N64 that's actually fun to play.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 18, 2019

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Just finished the first bowser level. I'm being reminded of how much I loving hate getting 6 of the red coins and then dying because mario walked himself off a ledge

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Mischief Makers is still a really good N64 game, but it has the issue of very specifically being designed for being played with the N64 C-buttons to dash so A-ranking all the levels on any other controller will break you in half.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

katkillad2 posted:

I thought N64 and everything on it was some of the shittiest and ugliest graphics of that generation.
But then, at the time I did most all of my gaming on PC, which had better looking games than the N64 for years by that point. I always have to remember that perspective whenever people talk about how "good" Goldeneye was.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Crosspost from the Megaman thread: the Japanese version of Megaman Legacy Collection for 3DS is getting a limited edition with lots of extra crap: http://www.e-capcom.com/RCC/

It's a box set with the game, a techo/day planner, some bookmarks, a set of six replacement cover sleeves (one for each of the Famicom games) and a couple 3DS menu themes. Buying the standard edition direct from e-Capcom will also get you the menu themes and one of the cover sleeves, picked at random.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Banjo-Kazooie controls like molasses but at least the level design is fun (after you get infinite air and flight at least) and then Banjo-Tooie throws that out the window in favor of...

Tooie is a game that seems much better if you';ve played D64 before. Both games attempted to be "the biggest" of their collect-a-thon genre, but DK64 is poorly balanced and unfairly hard while Tooie is just too drat big, but at least nothing is really outrageously broken. Except Canary Mary I guess.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
banjo kazooie is probably the only game that is actually horrible that i'm fully convinced no one actually likes, but they force themselves to because someone said it was a classic or some poo poo

it's like kimchi or coconut water. or that keen wah poo poo. idk how to spell it but it starts with a q.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quinoas is actually delicious with butter and soy sauce you plebe

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Tooie is a game that seems much better if you';ve played D64 before. Both games attempted to be "the biggest" of their collect-a-thon genre, but DK64 is poorly balanced and unfairly hard while Tooie is just too drat big, but at least nothing is really outrageously broken. Except Canary Mary I guess.

The level design is so bad. How did anyone think Grunty Industries and the crazy cloud land were good ideas. It was kinda cool that they tried to connect all the different levels together but even that felt ultimately pointless

e: Canary Mary is way better than tons of backtracking

Looper fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 5, 2015

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

noirstronaut posted:

banjo kazooie is probably the only game that is actually horrible that i'm fully convinced no one actually likes, but they force themselves to because someone said it was a classic or some poo poo

it's like kimchi or coconut water. or that keen wah poo poo. idk how to spell it but it starts with a q.

I have some bad news for you, I have played that video game, and enjoyed doing so.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The only true way to experience most of the N64 library these days is through tool-assisted speedruns.

Is AC: rear end Horizon Legacy + supposed to be the improved version that takes advantage on the New 3DS to fix slowdown among other things?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only N3DS enhancements are amiibo support and twin-stick controls (which is just Circle Pad Pro support).

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

noirstronaut posted:

Nope. Banjo-Kazooie was my favorite platformer on that system. Yes, I liked it better than Mario 64. It would be my favorite platformer of that generation, but Spyro exists, so it's a tie.

I also like Banjo-Tooie. A lot.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

noirstronaut posted:

All of those foods you listed are fuckin delicious, and so is Banjo Kazooie.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

Just finished the first bowser level. I'm being reminded of how much I loving hate getting 6 of the red coins and then dying because mario walked himself off a ledge

I'm sorry but you were the one who walked off the ledge, not my friend mario

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Help Im Alive posted:

https://youtu.be/lObgLdtXYpU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
banjo kazooie is actually awful. there's no way a functioning human can like a game with a rhyming witch

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I sent my N3DSXL to Nintendo to get the top screen replaced, a bunch of black dots appeared over night on it, so I sent in for repairs. Nintendo wants half the price of a brand new console just to replace the screen, and I said gently caress that I'll do it myself. So my question is there anything different the N3DS screens that would stop me from using this: http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Display-Replacement-Nintendo-Upper/dp/B00HK7DFOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446734731&sr=8-3&keywords=3ds+lcd?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

noirstronaut posted:

banjo kazooie is actually awful. there's no way a functioning human can like a game with a rhyming witch

Have you considered the possibility that maybe it is you that is the dysfunctional one?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
DS Mario games update: Started New Super Mario Bros last night. First impression was "wow this game looks like hot garbage." It does redeem itself with good art direction though so I don't notice the ugly sprites as much anymore. The game itself is a lot of fun. I remember hearing from people when it came out that it was too "generic 2D Mario" or whatever but I don't really see how that's a bad thing.

Help Im Alive posted:

Specifically I'm talking about Mario's weird momentum in that game where you'll land on a ledge but then die anyways because he stumbles forward a step.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember really liking the world in Banjo-Kazooie, there just seemed to be a lot of nooks and crannies and secrets worth exploring for more puzzle pieces. SM64 would occasionally have those too like with the slide level but B-K seemed to go all out. But that said, I've replayed SM64 a bunch of times and B-K maaaaaybe twice. It's hard to go back to it again, to say nothing of Donkey Kong 64.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Guys, I'm gonna spend my Friday night playing Yo-Kai Watch because I am a horrible man child.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

DS Mario games update: Started New Super Mario Bros last night. First impression was "wow this game looks like hot garbage." It does redeem itself with good art direction though so I don't notice the ugly sprites as much anymore. The game itself is a lot of fun. I remember hearing from people when it came out that it was too "generic 2D Mario" or whatever but I don't really see how that's a bad thing.

NSMB is good, yeah. It's NSMB2 that doesn't seem quite right and somehow just feels really tired. It's the only Mario platformer I've never finished. You always hear the story about how it was a b-team/training for level design type deal, and whether or not it's true it certainly does seem that way. I mean, it's the exact same good platforming mechanically but manages to be really uninspired and forgettable.

Also everyone acting like Mario 64 is sub par is a god drat heathen.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

deadly_pudding posted:

Guys, I'm gonna spend my Friday night playing Yo-Kai Watch because I am a horrible man child.

Let us know what you think! I wasn't entirely sold on the demo.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Neo Helbeast posted:

I sent my N3DSXL to Nintendo to get the top screen replaced, a bunch of black dots appeared over night on it, so I sent in for repairs. Nintendo wants half the price of a brand new console just to replace the screen, and I said gently caress that I'll do it myself. So my question is there anything different the N3DS screens that would stop me from using this: http://www.amazon.com/Screen-Display-Replacement-Nintendo-Upper/dp/B00HK7DFOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446734731&sr=8-3&keywords=3ds+lcd?

Is that seriously not covered under warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I've seen homebrew discussion crop up here a couple of times but I wanted to mention that while most of the available emulators still aren't perfect, Genesis games run 100% and look perfect on the 3DS screen, so if you want to play Castlevania Bloodlines or Toejam and Earl on the go it's worth it to do if you were considering it.

SNES games that don't have a special chip are mostly perfect too, which creates Portable Super Punch-Out! which is a thing that should exist already anyway.

Edit: or portable Genesis Shadowrun now that I think of it.