Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I guarantee you people who don't like celery aren't complaining about a proper mirepoix, but the tendency of moms to just throw raw celery on whatever because veggies.

This. People love to dump celery into places where it shouldn't belong, and unless celery is cooked, it's not going to play well with others. My in-laws put celery in their burger patties, for God's sake. "It gives it a nice crunch!" Then use cucumber or something, ugh. And what the hell is it doing in my olive salad? You know, the thing that should have olives in it?

Celery abuse has turned me off to even the cooked/flavor base version of same. When I make gumbo, it's more green peppers in lieu of celery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

D.N. Nation posted:

This. People love to dump celery into places where it shouldn't belong, and unless celery is cooked, it's not going to play well with others. My in-laws put celery in their burger patties, for God's sake. "It gives it a nice crunch!" Then use cucumber or something, ugh. And what the hell is it doing in my olive salad? You know, the thing that should have olives in it?

Celery abuse has turned me off to even the cooked/flavor base version of same. When I make gumbo, it's more green peppers in lieu of celery.

Not attacking you, I strongly dislike the pseudo-myth that people have developed for stuff like celery. For what it actually gives your body, celery is essentially a non-food. You need to eat a disgusting amount of it to get any benefits from it.

Food should be prepared on its own merits, not on the word of superfoods.org or whatever.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

D.N. Nation posted:

When I make gumbo, it's more green peppers in lieu of celery.

:hfive:

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

you should probably wash it after you pull it out of the dumpster, this goes for everything BTW not just celery

I just mean that it's got a very 'green' scent and I think that it smells like a bin full of plant cuttings and grass trimmings. It's awful.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Not attacking you, I strongly dislike the pseudo-myth that people have developed for stuff like celery. For what it actually gives your body, celery is essentially a non-food. You need to eat a disgusting amount of it to get any benefits from it.

People use it as a textural/flavor additive, which drives me up the walls because there are so many other good options that add more to the table than "snappy and it tastes like dirt."

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

D.N. Nation posted:

People use it as a textural/flavor additive, which drives me up the walls because there are so many other good options that add more to the table than "snappy and it tastes like dirt."

it barely tastes like anything to me, maybe a very very faint anise/licorice kinda flavor and that's it, so who knows what they're tasting.

Mathematics
Jun 22, 2011
One thing people might not realize about people with limited diets is that they could be taking supplements. That can go a long way towards keeping a body going even if total poo poo is going into their mouth. After all, people live for years on feeding tubes pumping them with synthetic vitamins.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Mathematics posted:

One thing people might not realize about people with limited diets is that they could be taking supplements. That can go a long way towards keeping a body going even if total poo poo is going into their mouth. After all, people live for years on feeding tubes pumping them with synthetic vitamins.

Apparently it takes months to develop most vitamin deficiency illnesses, so it's not surprising that people with bad eating habits manage to survive, especially given a lot of food is fortified these days (bread with folic acid is the big one that springs to mind). I googled it, and it appears there's a few foods that can and do get fortified with beneficial vitamins or minerals, like chewing gum with calcium. Given people like my brother, I think this is a good thing. :psyduck:

I was reading a while back about a girl who blogged about eating vegan, which eventually lead to her admitting her ultra-healthy vegan lifestyle wasn't working out for her since she developed an unhealthy obsession with food and was sickening herself with vitamin deficiencies. So it does go both ways, just that the weird ailments you get are completely different to the other end of the spectrum.

I had a boss who ended up taking his housemate to hospital one day after finding him grey and shiverring on the floor... it was malnutrition. Turns out the housemate had tried to spend the previous three weeks living off instant noodles. I'm going to guess the guy didn't have the healthiest eating patterns to begin with and the instant noodle diet was the final straw.

froglet fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Nov 4, 2015

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PT6A posted:

How can you hate celery? It must make 90% of all soups and sauces unpalatable for you, since it's an integral part of a mirepoix and that poo poo's in pretty much everything.

I don't eat soups as a rule. I like tomato based ones but I don't generally eat them. But yes part of why I don't often eat them is that having a rock hard lump of celery in the middle kind of spoils them.

I have no particulary aversion to the taste of celery, not that it tastes of anything as far as I can tell except maybe like a very mild onion or something. It's just a hard lump of vegetable stuff that doesn't mix with anything else. Bloody pointless food. I'd much rather have onions or garlic.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 4, 2015

SqueePower
May 25, 2006
tube
Soiled Meat
When I got my ileostomy, I was afraid of fresh, raw vegetables because they are harder to digest. I was terrified of getting another blockage so I only ate canned and frozen vegetables. Now I eat all kinds of fresh, raw vegetables and watch the indigestible bits exit my intestines.

I'm not afraid of anything now.

Edit to tell everyone all vegetables come out looking the same as they go in.

SqueePower fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 4, 2015

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Just out of curiosity, why is celery so often in soup? Does it really help that much? I'm a very adventurous eater, I love eating, and as such have no problem with raw or cooked celery, it just seems like the most stupid and unnecessary ingredient in the world.

I'm a decent to good cook and have made tons of soups in my life, and I always omit the celery, and I swear I've never missed it one time. But it's so standard in soup that maybe I don't understand what I'm missing?

I've thought about this multiple times before while making soups.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

No celery in glorious miso-shiru :japan:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I have a serious question for the people who were talking about their aversion to the texture of certain foods. Like that fellow talking about carrots being gross. I am not trying to make fun of you or bullshit anybody. Do you guys drink at all? Alcohol, I mean.

I have heard anecdotal evidence from people who were finicky eaters, didn't like things like bone-in meats, runny eggs, pickled fishes, stuff like that, that drinking and doing a lot of drugs helps you get over those things. As in, even if you stop drinking a lot and doing the drugs you're still over your problems with food finickyness.

Teriyaki Hairpiece fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 5, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

heroin is a gateway drug to button mushrooms

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

cheerfullydrab posted:

I have a serious question for the people who were talking about their aversion to the texture of certain foods. Like that fellow talking about carrots being gross. I am not trying to make fun of you or bullshit anybody. Do you guys drink at all? Alcohol, I mean.

I have heard anecdotal evidence from people who were finicky eaters, didn't like things like bone-in meats, runny eggs, pickled fishes, stuff like that, that drinking and doing a lot of drugs helps you get over those things. As in, even if you stop drinking a lot and doing the drugs you're still over your problems with food finickyness.

Interesting. I went from hating to liking a lot of different vegetables (bell peppers, beets, and cucumbers) right around the same time I started drinking. I thought it was just because kids have a higher sensitivity to bitter flavours, but alcohol could've been an explanation too.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Probably because alcohol loosens the rod up people's asses so they can feel free to enjoy something for once.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

heroin is a gateway drug to button mushrooms

I was thinking more of weed, but heroin definitely makes you give less of a poo poo about things. I know it's a half-baked theory.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

Just out of curiosity, why is celery so often in soup? Does it really help that much? I'm a very adventurous eater, I love eating, and as such have no problem with raw or cooked celery, it just seems like the most stupid and unnecessary ingredient in the world.

I'm a decent to good cook and have made tons of soups in my life, and I always omit the celery, and I swear I've never missed it one time. But it's so standard in soup that maybe I don't understand what I'm missing?

Pick up some celery seed. That's the flavor that celery imparts, concentrated. It's fuckin delicious and if you don't put it in everything you are not at all a decent cook.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Pick up some celery seed. That's the flavor that celery imparts, concentrated. It's fuckin delicious abysmal and if you put it in everything you are not at all a decent cook History's greatest monster.

Ftfy :colbert:

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

cheerfullydrab posted:

Given my understanding of my wife's past, if this theory were true I wouldn't be posting about her.

If anything, I think such...exposures might have helped her fall of the vegetarian wagon for a few years after a few late-night order mishaps but nope, no fruit or more than her five vegetables.

indago
Dec 20, 2003

I see some atrocious eating at my place of work also. One of my co-workers seems to subsist solely on mountain dew and cigarettes. Another I've only seen eat sandwiches using packaged pre-sliced deli meats, american cheese, and white bread. Sometimes it's Little Ceasar's pizza or Stouffer's lasagna, and always a few bottles of Pepsi to wash it down. It's astounding how adaptable the human body is.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

indago posted:

I see some atrocious eating at my place of work also. One of my co-workers seems to subsist solely on mountain dew and cigarettes. Another I've only seen eat sandwiches using packaged pre-sliced deli meats, american cheese, and white bread. Sometimes it's Little Ceasar's pizza or Stouffer's lasagna, and always a few bottles of Pepsi to wash it down. It's astounding how adaptable the human body is.

To be fair, you don't know what they eat for dinner. I'm pretty lazy about my work lunches myself.

indago
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, good point. I happen to have enough free time to make my own healthy lunches, whereas many people don't. Those guys are busy with families, chores, or projects, outside of the shop.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Taima posted:

Celery adds a bitter, herbal flavor to soups. It's good, you should try it. Most soups could use more flavor and complexity. Give it a good sauteeing or pan-roasting first.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I don't eat soups as a rule. I like tomato based ones but I don't generally eat them. But yes part of why I don't often eat them is that having a rock hard lump of celery in the middle kind of spoils them.

I have no particulary aversion to the taste of celery, not that it tastes of anything as far as I can tell except maybe like a very mild onion or something. It's just a hard lump of vegetable stuff that doesn't mix with anything else. Bloody pointless food. I'd much rather have onions or garlic.

You know you're supposed to cook celery, right? It shouldn't be hard in the finished dish.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
You'd be amazed how much "cooked" celery I've come across in my life. Folks really don't know what to do with it.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

That tastes like salad dressing, cheese, little chunks of meat, and mostly grass.

I literally can't taste anything in most greens except for the same overpowering vegetable matter taste that all green plants, edible or no, seem to have.

They look lovely and if I see people eating a crisp salad with a little bit of balsamic vinegar on it or something, I think it must taste delicious, but it never does.

Even like, a chicken caesar wrap or something mostly made of cheese and grease will taste quite strongly of it if they put a little bit of green in there. I can eat it but it doesn't taste very nice.

I'll eat cauliflower on its own quite happily but greens are just... not pleasant and I really wonder what other people are tasting when they eat them.

LOL here's the truth of the matter: green vegetables really don't taste like anything which is why nobody anywhere eats veggies plain.

So really the only difference between you and everyone else is that you're a big baby that doesn't want to eat his vegetables

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Tangentially, does anyone actually *enjoy* the taste of alcohol? Like, actually?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Subyng posted:

Tangentially, does anyone actually *enjoy* the taste of alcohol? Like, actually?

The chemical? No. Alcoholic beverages, such as beer, wine, and various sorts of spirits? Yes, immensely.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
So, I've never been much of a veggie fan, but for whatever reason I loving love broccoli and spinach. Am I good if I just continue to eat tons of those while rarely consuming other types? I like corn but don't really consider that a veggie.

Edit: also potatoes but, again, I feel that's more a starch.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ComposerGuy posted:

So, I've never been much of a veggie fan, but for whatever reason I loving love broccoli and spinach. Am I good if I just continue to eat tons of those while rarely consuming other types? I like corn but don't really consider that a veggie.

I've always heard you want to get more "colors" into your diet. You're covered for green, but if you can find a way to like carrots or red peppers or something, that would probably be good for your diet as well. There's no reason you have to eat them raw, either. Try roasting some red peppers. The sweetness gets concentrated and the bitterness goes away. You can blend it with some feta cheese and garlic to make a great dip (although not a low-calorie dip), or you can blend it into a tomato sauce for an added bit of flavour.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ComposerGuy posted:

Broccoli and Spinach are perfect veggies and you're free to eat them until Armageddon. Potatoes have nutrients too, and they're not even particularly calorie-dense when you have them oil-less.

Doesn't hurt to try around, of course.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Broccoli and Spinach are perfect veggies and you're free to eat them until Armageddon. Potatoes have nutrients too, and they're not even particularly calorie-dense when you have them oil-less.

Potatoes get a bad rap because most common preparations of them involve a whole lot of fat. French fries, baked potato with sour cream and bacon, mashed potatoes (cream and butter). Potatoes themselves are, as you point out, pretty decent for you.

If you like potato salad, but want to avoid the mayonnaise, look for a yoghurt-based potato salad recipe. I found one on the top of my yoghurt container once and it worked very well -- creamy, fresh, summery, but without a huge load of calories.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

Tendai posted:

No, no. The true trick is to move to New Mexico or a similar area and find an older lady who makes them and sells them. The lard will kill you eventually but goddamn do they taste good. I never realized that tortillas on their own could just be straight up good till I moved here.

I married into a Mexican family. gently caress 99% of store bought tortillas.

I use to eat really bad. Talking about fried food like burritos and other allsups/gas station style food severe times a day. A poo poo ton of red meat and take out food. I looked and "felt" healthy, was 6.1 230 pounds had a little bit of a belly but still could run a mile with out Keeling over dead.

Turns out my cholesterol was sky high, I was pre hypertension and pre diobatic. I started eating more greens, lots of fish, cut my red meat down, right now I'm down to a steak a month instead of two or three times a week.

I feel freaking great for it and now all those bad foods that I was eating daily taste so much better now that I have limited my intake.

rndmnmbr posted:

Re: flatulence. Beano sounds like a joke, but it really does work.

When ever my grandmother would make a pot of beans she would throw in a carrot and take it out when they were down, then just trash it. No more gas. No idea how or why it works but it does.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 7, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Celery is good for three things:

1) dipping into a suitable dip, like ranch dip or hummus. Maybe peanut butter if you are into that sort of thing.
2) chopping finely and adding to some kind of salad. Garden, tuna, chicken, potato or egg are all candidates.
3) adding to soup.

It has little nutritional value, but does add a nice texture to salads, adds fiber to soup, and is a great delivery device for dipping stuff.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I've actually had the semi-pleasure of working with an autistic weirdo for the last several years who is...shall we say an extremely picky eater. Much of the time he subsists on mcdonalds, church's chicken, Long John Silvers, cheap mexican food, skittles, sweet peach tea (by the gallon), and Ensure. I've only seen him eat a salad a handful of times in the last three years. He won't take vitamins (regularly), claiming they make him choke, and has a near hysterical phobia of doctors. Mental health wise he exhibits severe symptoms of OCD and is prone to bouts of depression.

As to no ones surprise he is also a chainsmoker. He exhibits all the symptoms of long term malnutrition and early onset diabetes. His teeth are falling out and he has numerous skin conditions. Several times a shift he'll be wracked by an extremely wet sounding coughing fit. I'm fairly certain he has low grade pneumonia and/or emphyzema as he gets winded extremely easily. He's positively gaunt & resembles Golum from LOTR. According to some digging he's in a high percentile risk range of collapsed lung and has had one some years back.

So to answer the OP's question: humans with extremely poor diets like his manage to survive but it's a hell of lovely life. A while back I actually got him to start eating little better but it kinda petered out due to lack of motivation on his part. Horrible mental health, child abuse, and simply not giving a gently caress about yourself is a horrible thing. I wish I was making this up. :(

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
My coworker is also a smoker, although recently he switched to vaping. He claims that he's felt a lot better, but his cough still sounds really nasty.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

Chas McGill posted:

My coworker is also a smoker, although recently he switched to vaping. He claims that he's felt a lot better, but his cough still sounds really nasty.

Of my four friends who smoke, three have switched to vaping, and two of those vapers have ended up in the hospital with pleurisy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

poolside toaster posted:

Of my four friends who smoke, three have switched to vaping, and two of those vapers have ended up in the hospital with pleurisy.

Honestly, when I tried vaping, my lungs felt much worse and my cough was much worse than just smoking. And it wasn't just the first week of post-smoking poo poo getting cleared out, because I actually hadn't had a cigarette in a month when I tried vaping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eien Ni Hen
Jul 23, 2013

MC Hawking posted:

I've actually had the semi-pleasure of working with an autistic weirdo for the last several years who is...shall we say an extremely picky eater. Much of the time he subsists on mcdonalds, church's chicken, Long John Silvers, cheap mexican food, skittles, sweet peach tea (by the gallon), and Ensure.

:barf::barf::barf:

Also, he could learn to make better (and healthier) burgers, fish, fried chicken, and Mexican food at home in his own kitchen. Sounds like he suffers from depression and God knows what else, though.

One of my former coworkers practically lived on Red Bull and refused to eat healthy food. (I offered her a slice of a Pink Lady apple once, and her response was, "I don't eat health food.") Shortly before I left that job, her hair had started falling out.

• Locked thread