Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

Doctor: I'm sorry ma'am but your son's brain has been irreparably damaged by some kind of mental trauma.
Goon: No shadows. No shadows. No shadows. The graphics are bad. No shadows. The dog is on fire.

There are no shadows indoors due to John Fallout having brain damage. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Scoops posted:

I think as long as people are willing to pay full price for yesterday's game they'll keep making it unfortunately. People trying to play it down makes no sense to me - clearly the only way Bethesda is going to bother seriously upgrading things is if they take enough flak for it.

If they suffer sizable enough loss of profits they're more likely to just fridge the franchise instead. See: Other M

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Xeremides posted:

No, you see, the lack of shadows in those rooms, several hours into the game, represent the protagonist's hope and innocence as he has not yet fully acclimated to the post-war hell that is now his reality.

lmao

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Gul Madred: There no shadows! What do you see now?
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: [shouting defiantly] There... are... *interior*... shadows!

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

lol loving idiots over at Bethesda. Don't they know everything has to have 1:1 in every single interior space or I go into an autistic rampage and begin posting for hundreds of pages about there Being No Shadows In This loving Triple A Game

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

There Diomedes aimed and stabbed, he gouged him down
his glistening flesh and wrenched the spear back out
and the brazen god of war let loose a shriek, roaring,
thundering loud as nine, ten thousand combat soldiers
shriek with Ares' fury when massive armies clash.

Mokinokaro posted:

I think you underestimate the amount of work and money switching to a new engine is. It basically means retraining the entire staff from the ground up.

There's a reason CoD is still built on a Quake derived engine.

If by underestimate, you mean not even taking into account, then yes. Somethings got to give. Either they need hire additional people to unfuck their games, or move to a different engine so it's easier to mask their ineptness when it comes to certain features. At this point, every game they release already looks a year or two old. I mean, I haven't seen the jump animation yet, but I'm guessing it isn't a whole lot better than Skyrim. Animations are something they should have addressed a decade ago.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Everything in that trailer looks way better than anything we've seen in the streams or pictures. Day 1 patch that adds the real graphics CONFIRMED!

Also pretty bold of them to open the trailer with the loving ending narration of the game.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 5, 2015

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

If they suffer sizable enough loss of profits they're more likely to just fridge the franchise instead. See: Other M

If it still looks like this for their next game in 2018/19 I think it'd be a mercy killing.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Magmarashi posted:

Bethesda can't afford to just fridge their open world game because it's Zenimax's biggest game and Bethesda's only game. Metroid sells little compared to other big Nintendo stuff in general so it doing especially poorly makes sense for them to scrap it. Nintendo's equivalent of Bethesda scrapping TES or Fallout would be just not making any more Mario games.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Scoops posted:

Yeah the only improvements to the game engine appear to be changing some of the sounds/visual effect for shooting and a wider color palette. After 7 years I was expecting more improvement in the base game AI/graphics considering Bethesda's budget and success. Color me disappointed.

Man, check out the boney knees on her.

*takes another hit on his 128oz Dew*

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

He gazed up at the enormous face. Forty years it had taken him to learn that there were no shadows. O cruel, needless misunderstanding! O stubborn, self-willed exile from the loving breast! Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Todd Howard.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Xeremides posted:

If by underestimate, you mean not even taking into account, yes. Somethings got to give. Either they need hire additional people to unfuck their games, or move to a different engine so it's easier to mask their ineptness when it comes to certain features.

Why? Because goons get really spergy over not being able to see a chair casting a shadow in a room in a video game and that's unacceptable ?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

John Fallout: This life, which had been the tomb of his virtue and of his honour, is but a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What's all this about a dog on fire?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

So the shadows are obscured by the aspergers which is why we can't see them OK I've got it I hope they patch that quickly.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Frankston posted:

One leaked video had the dog on fire. People were being spergs shout it confirming companions are invincible which Bethesda had already stated.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Be silent and listen: have you recognized your madness and do you admit it? Have you noticed that all your foundations are completely mired in madness? Do you not want to recognize your madness and welcome it in a friendly manner? You wanted to accept everything. So accept madness too. Let the light of your madness shine, and it will suddenly dawn on you. Madness is not to be despised and not to be feared, but instead you should give it life...If you want to find paths, you should also not spurn madness, since it makes up such a great part of your nature...Be glad that you can recognize it, for you will thus avoid becoming its victim. Madness is a special form of the spirit and clings to all teachings and philosophies, but even more to daily life, since life itself is full of craziness and at bottom utterly illogical. Man strives toward reason only so that he can make rules for himself. Life itself has no rules. That is its mystery and its unknown law. What you call knowledge is an attempt to impose something comprehensible on life.

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

Why? Because goons get really spergy over not being able to see a chair casting a shadow in a room in a video game and that's unacceptable ?

It's funny because I'm seeing a lot more posts from people blasting the naysayers getting angry that there are no shadows than actual posts about there being no shadows. What's worse is the shadow thing is a joke at this point, but the true believers are still tackling the criticism like its a real issue.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

They were complaining about the fact that the dog didn't howl in terror and absolute agony.

Buff Butler
Mar 11, 2008

gamer death money

Frankston posted:

One of the many ways in which this game looks lousy is that there's pretty much no feedback for or reaction to a lot of effects, such as a dog being set on fire.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mokinokaro posted:

One leaked video had the dog on fire. People were being spergs shout it confirming companions are invincible which Bethesda had already stated.

Oh good, I won't have to keep using the setessential command anymore.

Scoops
Nov 22, 2005

Xeremides posted:

It's funny because I'm seeing a lot more posts from people blasting the naysayers getting angry that there are no shadows than actual posts about there being no shadows. What's worse is the shadow thing is a joke at this point, but the true believers are still tackling the criticism like its a real issue.

WOAH calm down man! Quit being so autistic and spergy!

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

I watched a video where the dog fell off an elevator, that was funny.

Is the dumb dog a mandatory companion because I don't want it

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
the laser guns sound just like normal guns

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

The people who don't like fallout 4 want to torture nice animals, is the point basically.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Xeremides posted:

We already had about 50 pages of basically nothing but that, you're late to the party

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HATE NEWSPAPERS. Let me tell you how much I've come to HATE NEWSPAPERS since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'HATE' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal one one-billionth of the HATE I feel for NEWSPAPERS at this micro-instant. For NEWSPAPERS. HATE. HATE.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xeremides posted:

At this point, every game they release already looks a year or two old.

Big open world games will always look two years behind real small tight FPS graphics based shooters. The big giant open world game is never going to be where you find cutting edge graphics. It's more graphics vs better graphics.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Frankston posted:

poo poo AI in a nutshell. There's also dog falling off an elevator.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Big open world games will always look two years behind real small tight FPS graphics based shooters. The big giant open world game is never going to be where you find cutting edge graphics. It's more graphics vs better graphics.

Have you played The Phantom Pain which should really be called The Pretty Pain

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

We already had about 50 pages of basically nothing but that, you're late to the party

I remember, and yet, here you are, still talking about it, refusing to end the cycle.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

We cast a shadow on something wherever we stand, and it is no good moving from place to place to save things; because the shadow always follows. Choose a place where you won't do harm - yes, choose a place where you won't do very much harm, and stand in it for all you are worth, facing the sunshine.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
preorder DLC: Shadows

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Xeremides posted:

I remember, and yet, here you are, still talking about it, refusing to end the cycle.

Yes, this is just awful

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

something i think we're all forgetting is that witcher 3 was a pretty good game

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
DLC: Dog fire extinguisher

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Xeremides posted:

It's funny because I'm seeing a lot more posts from people blasting the naysayers getting angry that there are no shadows than actual posts about there being no shadows.

Seems like it's mostly just one man and his war against "spergs":
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3723844&userid=183898

Xeremides
Feb 21, 2011

rap music posted:

And a pretty-looking game. So is GTA V.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

rap music posted:

But it's not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

projecthalaxy posted:

Have you played The Phantom Pain which should really be called The Pretty Pain

Yeah, it was a game that used a fairly constrained set of environments that you select from menus really well instead of making a giant sprawling world that you could freely travel.

• Locked thread