Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
I sure wish I had a magic USB powered cutting board.

quote:

Impacts and benefits

• products (fruits, vegetables, meat, fish) retain fresh up to 2 weeks longer

• products are always pure

• milk do not sour for two weeks

• riddance of such viruses and bacteria’s as: amebiasis; shigellosis; bacterial infections; histamine intoxication; salmonellosis; brucellosis; viral gastroenteritis; golden staph; E. coli; trichinosis; listeria; melitensis; campylobacteriosis; typhoid fever; giardiasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

When you said "magic" I didn't think you actually meant literal snake-oil magic but well here we are.

edit: I noticed the inexplicable CGI water from the tap at 1:30-ish in the video and I can't help but wonder... why??

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
"„PureMeal” mechanism is a transmitter of electromagnetic emission. Device woks by means of unique food decontamination method of bio-resonance effects. Methods of disinfection with the device - is the elimination of harmful effects of chemicals and biological contaminants. It can prevent infections which usually comes with food and water, moreover it helps to avoid various diseases."

Hmm, it has bio-resonance effects. It must be legit!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gilganixon posted:

If I pledge $10,000 will you write a hagiography about my posting career?

Absolutely. I'll even add you to my buddy list.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Also maybe if you didn't want "uninwhited guests" in your food you should stop letting your 8-year-old sit on the loving bench during food preparation, you loving animals.

oTHi
Feb 28, 2011

This post is brought to you by Molten Boron.
Nobody doesn't like Molten Boron!.
Lipstick Apathy
That magical cutting board is partnered with Lenovo and IBM :allears:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Lenovo's a Chinese company, of course they have no standards or ethics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Paladinus posted:

In my next book I will retell the best threads of something awful dot com forums in excruciating detail. Please support me on patreon.

Make it the Doobie thread.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

CJacobs posted:

edit: I noticed the inexplicable CGI water from the tap at 1:30-ish in the video and I can't help but wonder... why??
Real water is expensive. It's much cheaper to just edit it in afterwards.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

The MSJ posted:

Make it the Doobie thread.

Our story begins with a dream of one man to make the world around him better, too feed those who hunger (for hot dogs), to quench the thirst of those who are parched (with ice-cold cola). This is a story of love, betrayal, money, and more betrayal. This is a story of a dream turned into a nightmare. A story of oobi ogs.

Duckbill
Nov 7, 2008

Nice weather for it.
Grimey Drawer

pathetic little tramp posted:

Why is the paperback more expensive than the hardcover. Also why is someone writing a book about something that happened in a video game. Lowtax should get in on this poo poo if there are nerds who are depressingly worthless enough that they would read this.

It says 'Mittani Media' - isn't The Mittani an EVE goon?

(I spend more time looking at EVE threads on the forums than I ever did playing the game, it's more entertaining.)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

CJacobs posted:

When you said "magic" I didn't think you actually meant literal snake-oil magic but well here we are.

water isn't cheap, ya know!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Recoome posted:

water isn't cheap, ya know!

Well it doesn't grow on trees.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

pathetic little tramp posted:

Also why is someone writing a book about something that happened in a video game.

I think it's kind of like how every person I know that played DnD and other pen and paper RPG's regularly when they were younger have a lovely fantasy novel script based on their character/campaign lying in a drawer.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

oh maaannnnnnn the way he pronounces chemicals at 3:03 is beautiful

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

theflyingorc posted:

oh maaannnnnnn the way he pronounces chemicals at 3:03 is beautiful

"chem-icles" :allears:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duckbill posted:

It says 'Mittani Media' - isn't The Mittani an EVE goon?

(I spend more time looking at EVE threads on the forums than I ever did playing the game, it's more entertaining.)

Yes, it's related to the EVE Goons.

Don't Ask
Nov 28, 2002

"...scientifically proven to enrich cats' lives."

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
I'm pretty sure those cats are only "listening" to the purring noises that were thrown into the music, if anything at all. Don't forget the monkey music either.

I wonder if this guy even understands actual music, never mind "animal music".

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I don't know if the music in video was actual cat music, but real life cats didn't react to it at all.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Paladinus posted:

I don't know if the music in video was actual cat music, but real life cats didn't react to it at all.

The video said it was.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Germstore posted:

The video said it was.

Probably only works in loseless then. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

kjetting posted:

I think it's kind of like how every person I know that played DnD and other pen and paper RPG's regularly when they were younger have a lovely fantasy novel script based on their character/campaign lying in a drawer.

This is surprisingly common in fantasy, not just the obvious like D&D licensed fantasy but stuff like the Dresden Files guy using his roleplays on a MUD for story elements. Even Tom Clancy supposedly based The Hunt For Red October off of a tabletop wargaming campaign he played.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Sleeveless posted:

This is surprisingly common in fantasy, not just the obvious like D&D licensed fantasy but stuff like the Dresden Files guy using his roleplays on a MUD for story elements. Even Tom Clancy supposedly based The Hunt For Red October off of a tabletop wargaming campaign he played.

Record of Lodoss War also started out as a novelization of DnD sessions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Several Vin Diesel movies were based on his D&D character and campaigns. The Last Witch Hunter being the most obvious one.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Several Vin Diesel movies were based on his D&D character and campaigns. The Last Witch Hunter being the most obvious one.

I had to look this up because I couldn't believe it. It's true, and now I want to see the movie purely based on that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Don't bother

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

chitoryu12 posted:

I had to look this up because I couldn't believe it. It's true, and now I want to see the movie purely based on that.

Yeah, the chronicles of riddick was born out of the D&D campaign he played after being riddick in pitch black. Which is why the whole thing is so ridiculous, and amazing. I don't even like D&D, but I'd play it with Vin Diesel.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah, the chronicles of riddick was born out of the D&D campaign he played after being riddick in pitch black. Which is why the whole thing is so ridiculous, and amazing. I don't even like D&D, but I'd play it with Vin Diesel.

I just get giddy about the idea of this big, muscular action star not only being an open nerd, but using his incredible fame and wealth to make movies purely for his nerdiness.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Once again nerds ruin everything!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is Vin Diesel playing some D&Diesel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLEMb_RIZ3o

Crust First
May 1, 2013

Wrong lads.
Some kind of... magic usb drive.

quote:

Leaf includes a patent-pending device which intelligently morphs into a random access memory chip using a computer's USB port. This device works on 2.0, 3.0, or higher port values for the purpose of adding additional RAM to an existing computer's bus. Leaf plugs directly into your USB port to not only improve the speed of the computer but also consolidate system processing to the device, thereby freeing on board RAM for secondary processing.

Pretty good deal for a $10k goal!

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Crust First posted:

They've nearly hit their goal. I'm starting to think that if someone started a 20k campaign for literal snake oil it'd be sitting around 100k ten days in

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm pretty sure Windows Vista had a feature that let you use USB drives as fake RAM?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just Download More Ram when I'm running low.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Crust First posted:

Disk cache is the slowest of all memory since it's got the longest access time and uses storage devices, but this guy's not gonna let that stop him.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
As someone who knows nothing about computers, is what they’re saying impossible? Aka a RAM stick that plugs into USB. It sounds like something that makes sense at a very, very surface level, but I assume it’s not that easy or it would have been done by now.

Or is it possible, but the difference is so unnoticeable that it’s pointless to do so?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

CodfishCartographer posted:

As someone who knows nothing about computers, is what they’re saying impossible? Aka a RAM stick that plugs into USB. It sounds like something that makes sense at a very, very surface level, but I assume it’s not that easy or it would have been done by now.

Or is it possible, but the difference is so unnoticeable that it’s pointless to do so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReadyBoost

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Windows Vista could use a USB key to speed up booting or something like that because mechanical drives are super slow, but now you can get a decent SSD for $90 to put your OS and common programs on and if you don't you're a straight dummy so that feature has lost any usefulness it had.

No, it's not possible because USB is orders of magnitude too slow in every conceivable way. This is the modern equivalent of those boxes they had in EB and poo poo that said they "doubled your system ram."

Anyway 16 gigs of ram is what $100 now, and that's more than enough for practically anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

CodfishCartographer posted:

It's been done by now. It's entirely standard. Using flash storage as virtual ram/swapfile/cache is way faster than using conventional hard drive storage for that purpose, and modern OSes have been supporting this on the fly for years; MS started officially supporting it in Vista. Problem is, it makes less and less difference the more real RAM you have, and it provides no benefit whatsoever if you're using a solid-state hard drive.

This is the computer equivalent of doing a kickstarter for this cool new invention you've come up with called a "knife."