Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kevin Crawford should make his next Kickstarter project Kowboys and Kensai, an OSR remake of Boot Hill combined with his Red Tide campaign setting for Scarlet Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

Kevin Crawford should make his next Kickstarter project Kowboys and Kensai, an OSR remake of Boot Hill combined with his Red Tide campaign setting for Scarlet Heroes.

Yeah, except he should call it "Far West."

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Andarel posted:

I'm out on Scythe. I'm sure I can pick it up cheaper at retail and the KS benefits don't seem very exciting. Stretch goal nonsense has been lackluster as well and that was basically the nail in the coffin.

Wait I'm confused, you're basing whether to pledge on something based on the stretchgoals and not the main product?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ijyt posted:

Wait I'm confused, you're basing whether to pledge on something based on the stretchgoals and not the main product?

Basically that the stretch goals, potentially the thing to make you to back the KS aren't that great or exclusive to the KS...so why not wait for retail, potentially get it cheaper and after seeing more reviews or playing it yourself?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

...to back a product you want to see made? The pledge levels also quite clearly show the money-back value retail prices are higher than the ones on KS, and useful, neat additions like alternate counters and high quality metal coins to the game seem like just the right stretch goals, I don't need a t-shirt or real-action remote controlled version of the robots or whatever.

I think people forget the point of Kickstarter too quickly, see the dropfleet commander comments section for example.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ijyt posted:

...to back a product you want to see made? The pledge levels also quite clearly show the money-back value retail prices are higher than the ones on KS, and useful, neat additions like alternate counters and high quality metal coins to the game seem like just the right stretch goals, I don't need a t-shirt or real-action remote controlled version of the robots or whatever.

I think people forget the point of Kickstarter too quickly, see the dropfleet commander comments section for example.

Keep in mind you're talking to someone who backed Scythe instantly.
But if the game is going to be made because it hit its goal (lol scythe), going to be available at retail, has no exclusives to the KS campaign there is literally no downside to waiting. If a potential backer is iffy (for any of a million reasons, many of which are not related to doubting the game) stretch goals can absolutely a factor to push them over the edge.

The point of KS for most board games is to pre-order the game.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Scythe is killing me I want the collectors edition but gently caress $99 games I never get to play are already stacking up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There is literally a downside to waiting, which is that you have to pay substantially more.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

There is literally a downside to waiting, which is that you have to pay substantially more.

Is it really "substantially" more, though? The collector's editions are all sold out for Tuscany and Viticulture, but Tuscany on its own was just $45 during the KS and is currently $47.50 on CSI. You can tack on for shipping, but I imagine most people fill that order up to $100 to "save" on shipping anyway...

I think the bling costs more overall, since there's only one distributor for the coins, and they cost $25 vs. "$15" (I put the quotes since that's the price if you add it on top of the Tuscany game itself), so there's that. But it's also just bling, and as nice as those coins are (seriously, they're really nice), they're hardly necessary.

Scythe has the promo pack (I'm gonna guess $5+$1 S&H in the BGG store), coins, resources, and the bigger board, so the price difference between the KS Collector's vs. individually buying all of those afterwards is likely going to be larger, but if you only care about the game, it should be really comparable, if not cheaper later.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
RE: Scythe - It's a mixed bag. Retailers could order during the Kickstarter so the higher levels will be available from some retailers for a while until they sell them out. I think even if you get some great deals after that it will be hard to beat the KS price. Not impossible, but most likely you'll pay the same or slightly higher.

I've got a Collector edition coming because frankly I'm a pushover for premium components. I also have a standard edition coming. Looking at what you get for that extra $40 between the two it's going to be hard for most to justify. The game will play the same with or without the bells and whistles so unless you're hung up on fancy pants components $40 is going to get you another game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Leperflesh posted:

Literally no downside.
I got Viticulture 2nd edition + Tuscany Prima for under 90$. As in the 99$ Tuscany KS level minus the 'sleeve' for a nice bit less.

E: Fine. I will clarify. Do your homework. The majority of KS can be gotten later for at least the price of the KS if not better. Scythe will be closer, based on Stonemaier history, to the KS price than others.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 6, 2015

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
Scythe argument is moot now anyway given the campaign is over

Promo pack is $15 from Stonemeier right now, with $20 as the retail - gonna guess that's going to be the lowest you'll get it for unless you're getting the game from a retailer that got its copies from KS that has them built in

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

More generally, there are a few reasons I've backed things on Kickstarter.

1. It's a product I 100% know I am going to buy and this just gets things out of the way or acts like a preorder (Keyflower: the Merchants, BattleCON, Millenium Blades). Stretch Goals are nice here but not particularly relevant.
2. It's a new developer that has put their best foot forward and playtested/refined a game that looks interesting and I want to throw some money at them to help the game succeed (Steampunk Rally, Apex Theropod, Ruckus: the Goblin Army Game, Tiny Epic Kingdoms) and it's cheap enough that I'm willing to take the hit if the game ends up not so good. If I feel like my money is going towards a good cause (stretch goals) and likely to help, I'm more likely to back.
3. It's an existing developer that I like and there are KS exclusives or something to make it worth my while (Blood Rage, which has CMoN exclusives and is aggressively priced compared to retail). Stretch goals are whatever here, if I'm getting exclusives.
4. It's an existing developer that I'm on the fence on and the game is interesting enough in a way that I'm comfortable giving them some money and seeing how it shakes out (Between Two Cities, Tiny Epic Galaxies).
5. It's Bomb Squad, which I have no idea why I backed and certainly would not back again given the crazy delays and my lack of interest a year after the campaign ended.

Jamey hasn't impressed me mechanically yet other than Between Two Cities, so I'm not interested in buying Scythe before trying it. If there were stretch goals and I could feel like I was meaningfully contributing to the campaign in some way then I'd be a lot more willing to, but the idea that my donation is going to fund a fraction of a percent of a single card is pretty sad and actively turns me off from backing the game. If A) less people around here were likely to get it and B) the stretch goals were handled better I might have sprung for it, but the first made me unlikely to go for it and the second was the nail in the coffin.

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012
Technically Between Two Cities was produced by Stonemaier but designed by Ben Rosset and Matthew O'Malley.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Ah, that's right. Been a bit, and that makes me regret one less thing about dropping Scythe.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I couldn't afford to back Scythe now, not even taking into account how often it was likely to be played, so it was a moot argument for me. Will put it on the wishlist and get it at retail if I'm still interested.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I ended up backing out of Scythe because I have a friend backing it and while it looks neat to me it's not a 'must have my own copy' neat.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The DCC 4th printing KS is getting crazy good. If it wasn't Goodman, I'd be freaking out about them overcommitting.

Two more free adventures, folders, stickers, pencils, dice, even a drat DM screen at higher stretch goals. I think this is the stuff they'd be making for swag anyways, and they're both reliable and down-to-earth, so I'm not worried.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

dwarf74 posted:

The DCC 4th printing KS is getting crazy good. If it wasn't Goodman, I'd be freaking out about them overcommitting.

Two more free adventures, folders, stickers, pencils, dice, even a drat DM screen at higher stretch goals. I think this is the stuff they'd be making for swag anyways, and they're both reliable and down-to-earth, so I'm not worried.

Considering their Metamorphosis Alpha KS was similar and that came out alright I'm not worried either. Not backing, because I need a copy of DCC right now like I need a hole in my head, but I wouldn't be concerned.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This KS is all reprinted stuff aside from the swag and a small part of the book. Goodman Games will deliver :)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Andy Kitkowski's newest Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/shinobigami-modern-ninja-battle-tabletop-rpg-from

The art looks extremely pretty, but, uh:

quote:

The overall effect is a very easy-to-learn game that is equal parts story-driven RPG, German-style board game, and secret identity/role game (Werewolf, Coup)

:stare:

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
Shinobigami's up!

It's 40 dollars for books, extras and stretch goals in PDF :stonk:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I don't give a poo poo about anime but I backed the $20 level. If we get one fun evening out of it its worth it. The mechanics don't look like a light RPG they describe, but we'll manage.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Andy Kitkowski's newest Kickstarter is up: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diamondsutra/shinobigami-modern-ninja-battle-tabletop-rpg-from

The art looks extremely pretty, but, uh:

:stare:

I thought Coup was just a card game. Does this mean something I'm not getting?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Coup's got the whole thing where what characters you have face down can block enemy actions against you by revealing them. Shinobigami's secret technique stuff works a little similarly, in that your sure-kill secret skill or whatever is easily countered if someone knows about it, which is why everyone keeps theirs hidden from each other until the moment can be used. Thus the comparison to Werewolf, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So...do you think Andy K will manage to translate and release three Japanese RPGs before Far West comes out? :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Yes.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I was going through my old Livejournal account recently looking for something and found a post from 2007 where GMS had just announced this new Far West project and I was so excited about it.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

head58 posted:

I was going through my old Livejournal account recently looking for something and found a post from 2007 where GMS had just announced this new Far West project and I was so excited about it.

Wait, so it's even later than we thought? That's pretty impressive.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

That was when he first announced the project (along with the whole transmedia empire that would accompany it). The kickstarted was later but yeah, my post was dated May 17, 2007 and it linked to an announcement on GMS's now deleted LJ so it was kicking around at least that early.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Evil Mastermind posted:

So...do you think Andy K will manage to translate and release three Japanese RPGs before Far West comes out? :v:

Yes, I think Andy K can translate 3 Japanese RPGs before entropy turns all the stars in the sky to freezing iron orbs.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Cyphoderus posted:

Shinobigami's up!

It's 40 dollars for books, extras and stretch goals in PDF :stonk:

This game sounds rad as hell, but man, $44 for a couple books that are manga sized is a hard bite. Has anyone played it (somehow?) and can give impressions?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Well, I mean, it's also only $24 for both the core book and supplement in digital format which is a reasonable price for a pair of pdfs. I suppose it depends on how highly you value the additional supplementary material. It's worth noting that a bunch of that additional stuff isn't a stretch goal, anyone who pledges at the "All Materials" levels will be receiving a bunch of it by default no matter what the Kickstarter ends at, and taken as a whole (12 scenarios running 1-3 pages each, a guide for creating more scenarios, three more scenarios on top of that, a setting reskin, a bunch of print-and-play material including cards and character tokens, a 10-page full color quick play guide, a package of premade roll20 material, and the director's cut book) the asking price sounds about right.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Würm Update.

quote:

A couple cool news about the project:

-- A sneak peak PDF to Würm the RPG is now available for download. Inside you'll find a summary of the game system, a character sheet and a community sheet (used to track tribes). Download it HERE.

-- Update #6 on the Kickstarter page shows that the second stretch goal for the project (at 14000 Euros) will add the GM screen in English. My understanding is that all the backers will still get the PDF of the Screen, and pledges at 110 Euros and up (those that originally includes the printed French screen) will get a printed English screen instead of the French one, if the project gathers at least 14000 Euros.

-- Update 6# also mentions the translation of additional adventures with further stretch goals. These will be available in PDF for 45 Euros backers and up, and printed for 60 Euros backers).

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Here's a funny game, Roll Player is a game where players roll their characters' stats, and then the game's over.

Obviously there's more to rolling the stats than a simple 3d6 roll.

Each player gets a character made of a combo of Race (gives stat boosts/penalties), Personality Archetype (affects desired alignment), Class (affects desired stats and starting ability), and Backstory (a bit complex, basically affects what's the desired dice colors used for a part of each stat).

Every round the starting player blindly takes a number of dice (based on number of players) out of the dice bag, then rolls them. Based on the results the player puts them on initiative cards, with the fastest initiative getting the lowest rolled dice and the slowest getting the biggest (rolling player decides ties). Then players in turn pick initiative cards along with whatever's on them (dice and coins from what I saw, suppose there could be more things).

Players place these dice in one of their stats, with the aim of filling out the stat board to end the game. However, placing dice isn't just a matter of which color you want where and which stat you want to get higher, because each stat you put a dice in has an action related to it, and when you place a dice there it lets you use it. These actions are mostly dice-manipulation. You can raise/lower the values of dice on your sheet, switch the location of any 2 dice, things like that.

After players place their dice and activated the ability, then based on initative they can buy a card from the market. IIRC there are talent cards and equipment cards. These give you more possible actions and more possibilities for gaining reputation points.

Once all players completely built their characters' stats the game ends and whoever made the best character (has the most reputation points) wins.

The game came right as I was looking at different sorts of drafting games to get for my collection and I like the conceit a lot, so I'm backing. Rahdo seems to like it a lot, if that affects opinions (for better or for worse).

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

So it's a game about autism?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Says the goon in the Traditional Games subforum.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Can you then use the characters you created in a different game?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
I have never played DCC and want either the alt art cover or the leather cover but do not think it is worth $120.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Evil Mastermind posted:

No.

I believe he can translate and release five.

• Locked thread