Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DirtyTalk posted:

I didn't play previous Fallouts (I hear from many that I did myself a serious injustice). I also heard that Fallout 3 no longer runs on Windows 8.

Anyway, does anyone have info whether or not this will still be a fulfilling game considering I know jack poo poo about the series?

There was a nuclear war 200 years before the game started. The war was triggered by depleted natural resources and belligerent world powers roughly divided among a fascistic America, and a communistic China. The humans that survived tended to do so by living in "vaults", which are Fallout shelters designed by an evil company called Vault-Tec. Although ostensibly a way to survive the nuclear apocalypse, most of these vaults are actually poorly implemented social experiments. As the world has slowly been able to support human life again, people have emerged from vaults to find mutated surface dwellers (Super Mutants and Ghouls), terrible monsters (giant lizard creatures called Deathclaws, for example), and the remnants of the 'old world'.

The first two games takes place on the West coast, and detail a number of factions vying for control. The main two that have shown up in every subsequent game to some degree are the Brotherhood of Steel, who are fanatical techno-fetishists that seek to control the old world technology which caused the nuclear apocalypse. There's also the Enclave, who represent the remnants of the corrupt and evil old world American government. Players typically take on an unnamed protagonist on some sort of quest that slowly reveals a larger conspiracy for control over the wasteland.

The later 3D games take place on the East coast in Washington DC, which finds a splinter group of good Brotherhood soldiers fighting against a still evil Enclave. The other 3D game takes place in Nevada, specifically Vegas, and finds an earlier faction called the New California Republic facing off against a despot who fashioned himself into a latter day Caesar, and seeks to unite the wasteland under his tyrannical rule.

Overall the games start with the premise that the integrated circuit was never developed, and that America's cultural revolution of the 60s was sqaushed by hardline conservatives. That means that everything has an ironic squeaky clean 50s exterior, and the high technology that exists does so with vacuum tubes and chrome burnishing - sort of like "the world of tomorrow" at the Epcot Center.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Ok, I have an actual hardware question for anyone here that would know. This is what I have.

Mobo: MSI Z97
GPU: GTX 750 Ti 2gb
CPU: I7 4790K @ 3.6 Ghz
RAM: 16 Gb DDR3 @ 666Mhz

I'm looking to upgrade the GFX Card soon, thoughts on replacements? Best bang for buck is what I am really looking for.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

mods that they will make you pay for, mind.

Skyrim already tried this though and 100% of the community rejected it.

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Why yes, I am a crazy cat lady.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

To me it's that so many games exist I don't need open world games to have things like strong stories. I can play different games for that. And the AI isn't really doing any more or less than I want it to do. So it doesn't harm the gameplay to me.

Like I don't know I'd even like the game anymore if it had some great story because It'd ruin the idea I can just run off for 30 hours in the middle of it to go do open world crap and then come back to it all out of order. The stories of past fallout games were all good enough to set up a premise and a last battle and the details of the middle part are just kinda there. The AI seems like the standard "run at you" stuff that is bad for a game that was a shooter but is fine for an RPG.

Get this... this game is a shooter.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hafl posted:

Then it is a bad game. I will play it as an RPG and it will be a good game even if that means I was wrong and you were right.

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Magmarashi posted:

Ok, I have an actual hardware question for anyone here that would know. This is what I have.

I'm looking to upgrade the GFX Card soon, thoughts on replacements? Best bang for buck is what I am really looking for.

Get a 970 or up, depending on budget

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Magmarashi posted:

GTX 970 is still probably the card to get. I have a 750ti too, and I'm curious how it's going to handle FO4.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Then it is a bad game. I will play it as an RPG and it will be a good game even if that means I was wrong and you were right.

Bethesda hired people from Bungie and ID Software to help with the shooting mechanics on Fallout 4. Todd Howard in interviews explained that Fallout 4's focus was on shooting mechanics but stressed that VAT wasn't ignored either, that Fallout 4 is still an RPG.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

The Fallout EULA prevents people from charging for mods as well for what it's wOrth.

Bethesda has really backed away from their crazy idea.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

If you were really looking for bang per buck at any cost you'd get this incredibly loud thing for $220:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202043&cm_re=290-_-14-202-043-_-Product

Run MSI afterburner and it'll be a loving hairdryer :getin:

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Scott Forstall posted:

Get a 970 or up, depending on budget

Bardeh posted:

GTX 970 is still probably the card to get

Alright, that fits right around in my budget, though more towards the upper limit. Thanks. Is there a manufacturer preference/one to avoid or does it matter anymore?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Hafl posted:

doom is p.good

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

crabcakes66 posted:

Controversial opinion. Outside of some bad textures, horrible facial animations and some weirdness with shadows.

This game looks pretty good.

Yeah if you ignore everything that is bad about it, which is most of it, it does look pretty good!

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

hemale in pain posted:

doom is p.good

Fallout 4'll be like Doom 4, but you can talk to the monsters. Amazing.

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:

I said come in! posted:

and if you'll remember from the press release after the fact, they specifically said they would reevaluate this position and come back to it. it's insanely naive to think that bethesda won't monetize the mods that make their games playable.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Magmarashi posted:

Alright, that fits right around in my budget, though more towards the upper limit. Thanks. Is there a manufacturer preference/one to avoid or does it matter anymore?

Biggest tangible difference is how loud the thing is, between manufacturers. I'd google around.

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

The Droid posted:

Yeah if you ignore everything that is bad about it, which is most of it, it does look pretty good!

No not really. Most of it looks good outside of a standard Bethesda weak spots.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Magmarashi posted:

it comes down to warranty (don't buy anything with less than 2-3 years) and whether you want to pay a little more for something with a better/quieter non-stock cooling setup since the cards probably all roll off the same foxconn assembly line. I buy ASUS because I've never had to RMA anything from ASUS in 15+ years of buying their motherboards and video cards, and their directCU line of cards come with great cooling that's silent out of the box but can be scaled up to hairdryer mode in 4 years if you actually need to overclock it for something. they tend to be a little more expensive though

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

EVGA has amazing support, but their cooling isn't quite as good unless you get the 397x series.

back in the day I had 3 evga cards and all of them failed under warranty and were replaced by a slightly better model in ~a week. great warranty, but I'd rather not need the warranty. ASUS has a reputation for being awful if you actually need support but their quality is such that you're unlikely to ever need it

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Magmarashi posted:

MSI has ok support but the best (most silent) cooling.
ASUS about the same and often cheaper than MSI (changes by the day), but support is rear end.
EVGA has amazing support, but their cooling isn't quite as good unless you get the 397x series.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

The Droid posted:

Actually most of the game parts look extremely good.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I'm assuming its been pointed out, but since when has Bethesda been good at faces? Bethesda pudding face and a rickety rear end implementation of Gamebryo is a given at this point. It has been since Morrowind.

If you read that big Game Informer article that just came out, Todd Howard says he's proud that it's pretty much the same people working there that have for the last decade and that the team has barely grown since Skyrim. So if you were expecting more than the next Bethesda rear end Bethesda game from Bethesda Game Studios, I dunno what to tell you. Sorry you expected more from a company with a 15 year track record of having the exact same type of issues in otherwise fun and entertaining video games?

e: Also that article said they hired a guy who worked on the Destiny gunplay to help make their guns like Destiny guns. So here's hoping it at least feels decent outside of VATS.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I want to upgrade my 760 gtx but i don't care for shadows that much so maybe i'll hold off until they release the new line of gpus that have supposedly like, ten times the giggahertz

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx

Magmarashi posted:

You can't go wrong with Asus or MSI. Zotac I would avoid but that's just me.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minorkos posted:

I want to upgrade my 760 gtx but i don't care for shadows that much so maybe i'll hold off until they release the new line of gpus that have supposedly like, ten times the giggahertz

you could always grab another one on the cheap from ebay and do SLI if your motherboard supports it

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

A Curvy Goonette posted:

and if you'll remember from the press release after the fact, they specifically said they would reevaluate this position and come back to it. it's insanely naive to think that bethesda won't monetize the mods that make their games playable.

Paid mods are totally coming and whoever thinks they aren't is naive. With skyrim it was just different because mods that were free before suddenly weren't and that really made the people angry. With FO4 you don't have this established community.

People will also totally pay for mods. They already pay to buy lives in games like candy crush. But lmao if I'd be assed to pay ten bucks for something like having the interface fixed, I'll porbably also not be the only one. There will also be mod pirating and people remaking mods which are functionality the same for free out of pure spite. If you thought the minecraft drama and slapfights over silly adf.ly links and paypal donations was delicious then you ain't seen nothing yet. But I think overall, all it will do is hurt the long-term playability of their games. I wish some other company would step up and make open-world RPGs like this but introducing a completly new franchise seems to be like, illegal for some reason these days.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

Paid mods are totally coming and whoever thinks they aren't is naive. With skyrim it was just different because mods that were free before suddenly weren't and that really made the people angry. With FO4 you don't have this established community.

People will also totally pay for mods. They already pay to buy lives in games like candy crush. But lmao if I'd be assed to pay ten bucks for something like having the interface fixed, I'll porbably also not be the only one. There will also be mod pirating and people remaking mods which are functionality the same for free out of pure spite. If you thought the minecraft drama and slapfights over silly adf.ly links and paypal donations was delicious then you ain't seen nothing yet. But I think overall, all it will do is hurt the long-term playability of their games. I wish some other company would step up and make open-world RPGs like this but introducing a completly new franchise seems to be like, illegal for some reason these days.

Those are dummies with mobile phones though (women and children) the glorious pc master race is above such things

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Police Automaton posted:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FadedReality posted:

I'm assuming its been pointed out, but since when has Bethesda been good at faces? Bethesda pudding face and a rickety rear end implementation of Gamebryo is a given at this point. It has been since Morrowind.

If you read that big Game Informer article that just came out, Todd Howard says he's proud that it's pretty much the same people working there that have for the last decade and that the team has barely grown since Skyrim. So if you were expecting more than the next Bethesda rear end Bethesda game from Bethesda Game Studios, I dunno what to tell you. Sorry you expected more from a company with a 15 year track record of having the exact same type of issues in otherwise fun and entertaining video games?

e: Also that article said they hired a guy who worked on the Destiny gunplay to help make their guns like Destiny guns. So here's hoping it at least feels decent outside of VATS.

nobody has ever been good at faces except maybe stylized games like dishonored that don't try for realism at all. see: Uncanny Valley

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008

Magmarashi posted:

Oh man, we've reached this point in the discussion :allears:

You are by far the worst poster in this thread and your incessant use of that emote is getting out of control. Please do more of the epic condescending wonka meme face it only gets funnier after the millionth time

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Couldn't that be just Bethesda making sure that no one sells mods until they can get the chance to

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

FadedReality posted:

It has been 'pointed out' a few times and the reply every time has been "stop giving a company that makes a shitload of money with every game they release a free pass for being consistently, massively behind the industry standard"

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Now show the part about the agreement being subject to change at any point.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

loving bethe$$$da

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Bethesda is still feeling the backlash from paid mods way too strongly to implement paid mods into Fallout 4 anytime soon.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Minorkos posted:

Couldn't that be just Bethesda making sure that no one sells mods until they can get the chance to

If Bethesda could make mods 90% of the complaints in this thread wouldn't exist.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

crabcakes66 posted:

You can't go wrong with Asus or MSI. Zotac I would avoid but that's just me.

I've had a Zotac 970 since last November and it's still running great. Pretty drat quiet, too.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
God loving lord. This game. Preorder cancelled I can't even look at the screenshots without barfing. Like, graphics aren't the end-all-be-all of gaming, but holy poo poo it took me literally 5 seconds in paint to show what the game should look like if Bethesda wasn't 100% incompetent.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Minorkos posted:

mods are already just bethesda kicking the costs of game design down the road to their customers

Hafl
Mar 17, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

God loving lord. This game. Preorder cancelled I can't even look at the screenshots without barfing. Like, graphics aren't the end-all-be-all of gaming, but holy poo poo it took me literally 5 seconds in paint to show what the game should look like if Bethesda wasn't 100% incompetent.

]

I hope you're not trying to be ironic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

I said come in! posted:

it was more like 40% and they complained super hard

people did accept the idea of giving people money for their work in an optional system

• Locked thread