Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

I think it was less because of his "real dramatic acting chops" and more because it was a hilariously terrible idea both in concept and execution.

It's that too, I'm just saying Eastwood really sold "crazy old man ranting at an empty chair."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

tarlibone posted:

In all seriousness, I can see where they were going with the empty chair. Even if there was a plan to have a hologram there early on, and I don't know if I believe that because you can't just put a hologram somewhere--it takes a lot of equipment, unless you've booked Automan and it's late at night--there's a certain kind of sense in what they were trying to do. Someone needed to put big, bad, other b-word Obama in his place, and to illustrate the fact that he's both there taking the beating and too afraid to actually show up, they set his chair there, conspicuous by its emptiness.

I'm not saying that it would ever have worked, because my God, that debacle could teach a class in how not to work. But I can see how that, at some point, may have seemed like a good idea to someone whose main goal was trying to make President Obama look bad. I mean, at one point, they pantomimed (sort-of) a petulant Obama telling His Lord and Highness Eastwood to shut-up, and when he's getting criticized fairly, isn't that just exactly what a little crybaby weenie like Obama would do, amiright amiright?

The problem is that at no point did anyone bother to say, "OK, now let's look at how this is going to look to anyone who isn't a hardcore, dyed-in-the-wool Republican." And this turned out to be an important thing that someone should have said, because when the guy yelling at the empty chair is approximately 1,000 years old... well, let's just say the optics weren't good. And any reasonable person should have been able to predict that.
No no no, let us be clear.
Clint Eastwood held a debate with an empty chair. He treated it as if he were debating a person, to the point of responding to the chair. To the point of telling the empty chair to stop interrupting him. At a major Republican function. As in, a filled-stadium function. Not some random Youtube video he made in his basement.

It was simpsons_old_man_yells_at_cloud.jpg level.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

TheCenturion posted:

Clint Eastwood held a debate with an empty chair. He treated it as if he were debating a person, to the point of responding to the chair. To the point of telling the empty chair to stop interrupting him. At a major Republican function. As in, a filled-stadium function. Not some random Youtube video he made in his basement.

It uh... Was very obviously a joke that you took way too seriously.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

TheCenturion posted:

Well, he was trying to do a 'bit', because he's not a politician, he's an entertainer. He's just not a comedian, so it fell flat. If a conservative comedian got up there, he could have sold it. Like I pointed out with my Bob Newhart link, that sort of joke CAN and DOES work, but Clint is WAY too old and not funny enough to be able to pull it off. His constant stammering and stuttering really killed it. That, and he had only about 4-5 interactions with the chair, and it was only him pretending Obama was saying quick, rude comments. Weak.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gyges posted:

My understanding was that the Obama chair was completely improvised by Clint. Eastwood wanted to speak and nobody asked him what exactly he wanted to say. No optics or marketing or image consulting done, just let Dirty Harry do whatever he wants, because we're feeling lucky.

I recall that he showed up ready to improvise something, and like five minutes before he was scheduled to go on he grabbed a chair with him out of the green room. That's how much preparation there was.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Well, he was trying to do a 'bit', because he's not a politician, he's an entertainer. He's just not a comedian, so it fell flat. If a conservative comedian got up there, he could have sold it. Like I pointed out with my Bob Newhart link, that sort of joke CAN and DOES work, but Clint is WAY too old and not funny enough to be able to pull it off. His constant stammering and stuttering really killed it. That, and he had only about 4-5 interactions with the chair, and it was only him pretending Obama was saying quick, rude comments. Weak.

They have those?

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They have those?

Yeah, they're the other kind of funny

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
"There will be no laughter, except the laugh of triumph over a defeated enemy" is the root of conservative comedy.

Except in most cases, the second part is unnecessary.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They have those?

Oh my yes... it's... well here's a very small dose: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rECevOmXSE

And no, in case you're thinking it must be ironic, it's not.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
ITT latte sipping gender confused liberals who have never spent time outside of a city.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
any comedy show in a small town is 'conservative humor'.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

They have those?

Yes. They're called Dennis Miller.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

tarlibone posted:

Yes. They're called Dennis Miller.

Every joke he tells is over enunciated and forced, and while the writing at times might be ok, overall, Dennis Miller is a horrible comedian.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Baloogan posted:

ITT latte sipping gender confused liberals who have never spent time outside of a city.

not lattes

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Every joke he tells is over enunciated and forced, and while the writing at times might be ok, overall, Dennis Miller is a horrible comedian.

Dennis Miller on Monday night football was horrible in all the best ways possible though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cole posted:

Dennis Miller on Monday night football was horrible in all the best ways possible though.

He comes across like the last guy on the planet you'd want to hear try over and over again to start telling a joke or story while he's being interrupted. That poo poo's annoying normally, but I feel like it'd be worse with him.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Dennis Miller was loving awesome pre-9/11. He's a horrible hack now, but check out Dennis Miller Live from his HBO days. He was loving great and hilarious then. I don't know if he knows that his conservative audience he's gunning for doesn't like big words, though.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Apoplexy posted:

Dennis Miller was loving awesome pre-9/11. He's a horrible hack now, but check out Dennis Miller Live from his HBO days. He was loving great and hilarious then. I don't know if he knows that his conservative audience he's gunning for doesn't like big words, though.

No, they like them. Makes them feel smart.

And I'll back you up on Dennis Miller pre-9/11. You can see the roots of his conservative leanings in how he rails on Clinton in the midst of the Lewinsky scandal, but that didn't really register back then. For a bookish teenage comedy fan, Dennis Miller Live was the poo poo.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

DivisionPost posted:

And I'll back you up on Dennis Miller pre-9/11. You can see the roots of his conservative leanings in how he rails on Clinton in the midst of the Lewinsky scandal, but that didn't really register back then. For a bookish teenage comedy fan, Dennis Miller Live was the poo poo.

This was all true; I was a big Miller fan back in my teenage years during the Clinton presidency. Back then, railing against Clinton gave him fame as an anti-establishment comic, the way railing against Bush Jr did for Stewart. But Stewart kept holding the establishment to task when it switched to the Democrats. When Miller stated on record that he was not going to go after Bush for anything because :911:, that's when I was done with him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Paper Kaiju posted:

This was all true; I was a big Miller fan back in my teenage years during the Clinton presidency. Back then, railing against Clinton gave him fame as an anti-establishment comic, the way railing against Bush Jr did for Stewart. But Stewart kept holding the establishment to task when it switched to the Democrats. When Miller stated on record that he was not going to go after Bush for anything because :911:, that's when I was done with him.

Man I thought I was the only one who thought pre 9/11 Dennis was great. Watching his new show on MSNBC was the saddest thing. And yeah I remember him actually saying that Bush brought respect and prestige back to the oval office and couldn't believe my ears, especially since Dennis went after Bush Sr. pretty hard.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 6, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Just look at the people who call themselves conservatives. "Clown" comes to mind pretty often, no? The reason there are so little conservative comedians is because being one is redundant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Just look at the people who call themselves conservatives. "Clown" comes to mind pretty often, no? The reason there are so little conservative comedians is because being one is redundant.

I think ultimately a big part of it is that punching down is considered pretty unfunny to a lot of people. And inevitably, a conservative comedian is gonna seem like they're doing that.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
There are a lot more comedians with conservative politics than people think. They're usually career standups and were more common around the 90s. A few like Tim Allen broke into film, but he's one of the only ones to try to make a specifically conservative sitcom. There's enough of an audience to keep it going for years, though. A lot of the current ones are the comics raging about political correctness, but I think a lot of those are people who say they're left-leaning but don't want to deal with social backlash for making rape jokes.

There was also Red Eye, a late night panel show on Fox News that tried to cash in on Daily Show style topical humor. Don't know if it's still a thing.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
A friend of mine reminded me that John Swartzwelder is a hard right-wing guy.

Who's John Swartzwelder? This is who the gently caress he is.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

thank you, it was about time someone took those conservatives down a peg

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Dennis Miller used to be fun since he would destroy Reagan every week on Weekend Update

After that, who cares

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Dennis Miller used to be fun since he would destroy Reagan every week on Weekend Update

After that, who cares

Speaking of, I think Norm MacDonald is a conservative guy too.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Rrrrrraaaaaaghhh I loving hate conservatives!!!! Im gettibg pissed!!!!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Practical Demon posted:

There are a lot more comedians with conservative politics than people think. They're usually career standups and were more common around the 90s. A few like Tim Allen broke into film, but he's one of the only ones to try to make a specifically conservative sitcom. There's enough of an audience to keep it going for years, though. A lot of the current ones are the comics raging about political correctness, but I think a lot of those are people who say they're left-leaning but don't want to deal with social backlash for making rape jokes.

There's definitely at lot of libertarian comedians out there, the most proactive one I can think of being Drew Carey (in hindsight, The Drew Carey Show was pretty aggressively libertarian). And Carey himself has define a libertarian as 'a conservative who still gets high'.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

DivisionPost posted:

A friend of mine reminded me that John Swartzwelder is a hard right-wing guy.

Who's John Swartzwelder? This is who the gently caress he is.

Some of the all time funniest episodes in there. Including the one where Homer gets a gun and joins the NRA.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

IRQ posted:

Speaking of, I think Norm MacDonald is a conservative guy too.
Adam Corolla, Joe Rogan... A LOT of others actually.

If you listen to Joe Rogan' podcast regularly he interviews a lot of comedians, and a shocking number of them are really nutball conservatives and they're often surprisingly ignorant as well, some of them have some pretty Michael Savage and Art Bell level beliefs as well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

coyo7e posted:

If you listen to Joe Rogan' podcast regularly he interviews a lot of comedians, and a shocking number of them are really nutball conservatives and they're often surprisingly ignorant as well, some of them have some pretty Michael Savage and Art Bell level beliefs as well.

also there's a sizeable amount of truthers

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

coyo7e posted:

It's not surprising that Carolla or Rogan are conservatives if you've ever listened to them speak for a couple minutes.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

It's not surprising that Carolla or Rogan are conservatives if you've ever listened to them speak for a couple minutes.
Yeah for sure, I was just kind of shocked by how many comedians are just straight up dumb mooks with crazy conspiracy theories and wildly huge racist streaks, when I tried to listen to the Rogan podcast for a few months. There's no way I'd listen to Adam Corolla, he was offensive enough on that sex chat thing he did with dr drew way back when.

It's a shame because I really enjoy the shop-talk stuff when Rogan gets into talking about the craft with other comedians, and even when he nerds out on MMA it's pretty interesting despite me not giving a rat's rear end about MMA or its personalities. It just got to be hrd to listen to two dudes with a huge audience being absolutely ignorant and totally stoked to share about it with everything else in the world as if it's the god's only truth... Comin' atcha bookended with 40 minutes of talking about snack subscription services.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

coyo7e posted:

I didn't realize Adam Corolla is a comedian. I thought he was just...whatever happens when a radio DJ experiments with things he's not so good at.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Conservative points tend to be less interesting on the whole, so they don't generally tend to get that much media attention. Nobody's really going to be flocking to news stories that are super-unenthused about the latest liberal issue of the day and how generally okay the status quo is. It's the same deal with christian rock.

And of course, the way most media is marketed these days, you're more likely to come into contact with things that already agree with you, so all of your views will be repeatedly reinforced and you'll come to expect most people to agree with you, aside from those horrible other people who are outside your bubble.

And then there's weird points where the various ideologies loop back around to the other, like how libertarianism can get conservatives into some liberal issues, and how Bill Maher is super liberal but also really hates Islam.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

To be fair, Joe Rogan is pretty progressive on many issues, and has said repeatedly that he doesn't like labels and doesn't consider himself strictly conservative or liberal.

He's also had plenty of liberal guests, and he always says that he'll have anyone on his show, no matter what their beliefs are. He's sit and listen to complete nut jobs for 3 hours just to hear their side, even if he thinks they're crazy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

SlothfulCobra posted:

And then there's weird points where the various ideologies loop back around to the other, like how libertarianism can get conservatives into some liberal issues, and how Bill Maher is super liberal but also really hates Islam.

This really has more to do with the major thing Bill Maher and conservatives have in common; they're both ignorant morons.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Paper Kaiju posted:

I remember Miller doing a lot of who gives a poo poo jokes too though. One that always stuck with me was that every president gets blow jobs in the Oval Office, it's tradition. With a little digging you'd be able find a story Woodrow Wilson getting one, just look for what they called it back then, a sloppy yawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

IRQ posted:

This really has more to do with the major thing Bill Maher and conservatives have in common; they're both ignorant morons.

I loved the entire episode where he referred to Bernie Sanders as Barney Frank.

• Locked thread