Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

graynull posted:

Doing some Greed runs and got a God Room with two Angel Chests and two soul hearts behind blue fires. I had no keys or bombs. gently caress you, God!

You can squeeze between those flames without getting hit most of the time, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Apparently Epic Fetus + Holy Mantle + 9 Lives + two orbitals isn't enough to get through the Hush fight. :(

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Good news! I got Sacred Heart AND Godhead. On the same run, what are the odds, huh?

Bad news: it was on the Blue Bomber challenge.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Just beat the speed challenge with some of the luckiest devil deals I've ever found. Scythes plus abaddon on the first one with the pact in the curse room, followed by the ceremonial robes and the mark on the next floor, and pentagram from the boss.

e: oh yeah, also found the bible in the depths XL right before fighting mom.

Mr. Whale fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 6, 2015

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I was glad to finally see an XL floor tonight, I was starting to wonder if they were bugged.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Someone should do the math on experimental treatment. I got it twice tonight and both times it was a straight upgrade, and other people have been saying the same thing. It may just be confirmation bias but it seems like it got a big buff to me.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

PantsBandit posted:

Someone should do the math on experimental treatment. I got it twice tonight and both times it was a straight upgrade, and other people have been saying the same thing. It may just be confirmation bias but it seems like it got a big buff to me.

I can confirm it can do the opposite. Took it and and tanked my damage and fire speed. I just restarted in that case.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If any of you are having trouble with Oran's Streak, try gunning for Isaac's Heart. That thing flat out gets rid of the missed shot damage penalty.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Red Mundus posted:

I can confirm it can do the opposite. Took it and and tanked my damage and fire speed. I just restarted in that case.

Well yeah it'll still have the potential to hurt the stats you want no matter what. I'm interested in knowing the exact numbers now though. Again, its hard with that item to nail down any changes by its very nature.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Dr. Fetus posted:

If any of you are having trouble with Oran's Streak, try gunning for Isaac's Heart. That thing flat out gets rid of the missed shot damage penalty.

Well yeah but then you're stuck playing with Isaac's Heart.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

PantsBandit posted:

Well yeah it'll still have the potential to hurt the stats you want no matter what. I'm interested in knowing the exact numbers now though. Again, its hard with that item to nail down any changes by its very nature.

Here's the math basically no matter what the items trash and too risky

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Someone should really tell Edmund to change the Boss Rush so it's capped at a specific number of bosses instead of "all of them". It takes like five minutes to go through it and the items are never, EVER worth the time and effort you put in.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Well that sure was an hour of Isaac. Floor one took me 10 minutes.

I mean, XXXXXXXXL is an okay challenge but it sure took a lot of time. More than I thought it would take.

One thing I do like about the challenges this go around are that they don't all keep item rooms away from you. Makes it way more fun when you can get cool stuff and not just the devil item pool.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
hey guys i believe I found a new trinket. It's not on platinum god yet. It was a golden bomb. Unfortunately I was in "pick up everything as quickly as possible" mode so I didn't see what it did. Although I can tell you there was suddenly a cursed skull in my trinket slot. Maybe it's like, a random trinket when you pick it up? Or who knows maybe it was like, a pack of 5 bombs or something and a cursed skull just happened to spawn where I didn't see it

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ghost Head posted:

hey guys i believe I found a new trinket. It's not on platinum god yet. It was a golden bomb. Unfortunately I was in "pick up everything as quickly as possible" mode so I didn't see what it did. Although I can tell you there was suddenly a cursed skull in my trinket slot. Maybe it's like, a random trinket when you pick it up? Or who knows maybe it was like, a pack of 5 bombs or something and a cursed skull just happened to spawn where I didn't see it

It's not a trinket. It's a gold key for bombs.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ghost Head posted:

A golden bomb? That just gives you unlimited bombs for the floor. It's like how golden keys work.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

LionYeti posted:

Here's the math basically no matter what the items trash and too risky
There's truly no exception. If you have libra, experimental treatment will gimp all your stats and give you empty heart containers.

If you have a legitimate worst possible stats eden run with 1 heart container, picking up experimental treatment will kill you. Seriously it can kill you, it will all stats down you to dead.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

It's not a trinket. It's a gold key for bombs.

oh. that would have been great but it was the Maggy daily where you get Dr Fetus in the depths

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the deal with the secret room that's just a bunch of spikes with a black poop in the middle? I feel like there's some mechanic I'm missing, but maybe it's just a useless room.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Lester Shy posted:

What's the deal with the secret room that's just a bunch of spikes with a black poop in the middle? I feel like there's some mechanic I'm missing, but maybe it's just a useless room.

Touch the poop with cain when you have a total of 109 consumables and you unlock a special reddit post

Literal Nazi Furry
Jan 27, 2008

Swastika - Helvetica - Ikea
Last night I dreamt of Adolf searching for Anne.
I lay on my back
standing alone in the corner watching the girls dance.

I'm on crystal meth.
I piss in my pants.
grabbed experimental treatment as eve and it spent all but one of my hearts on damage and tears up, so now I have a considerable dps boost on top of my permanent whore of babylon. did I just discover the first time experimental treatment wasn't a horrible choice

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Literal Nazi Furry posted:

grabbed experimental treatment as eve and it spent all but one of my hearts on damage and tears up, so now I have a considerable dps boost on top of my permanent whore of babylon. did I just discover the first time experimental treatment wasn't a horrible choice

Experimental Treatment is a great last ditch effort if your stats suck rear end. So yeah, Eve.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Azazel daily run today. I made the mistake of picking up Quad Shot. Oh my god that charge time :suicide: Still finished though, but god that took so long.

On another note, I finally got my Super Meat Boy! ...by playing Greed Mode as Lilith, buying a Cube of Meat and hammering away at Box of Friends until hooray. It's so easy guys, no more Book of Rev or Monster Manual to worry about. Just cycle through until the Cube is in the shop, then go for it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Finally able to play tonight! I see that Azazel was broken recently, is this still the case? I want to unlock Lilith, but is it going to be a pain in the current state of the game?

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

bucksmash posted:

Azazel daily run today. I made the mistake of picking up Quad Shot. Oh my god that charge time :suicide: Still finished though, but god that took so long.

It was good, I had fun, top 300 for score, hooray for me. 36 minutes in total. I thought it was worth picking up the quad shot due to the Azazel damage bug.

Overall, this is a pretty fun expansion. I've yet to see some of the cooler stuff, like Continuum tears, but I'm glad they fixed Dr Fetus. My favourite item has to be the Tech visor thing. Bosses melt when they face it.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

cryptoclastic posted:

Finally able to play tonight! I see that Azazel was broken recently, is this still the case? I want to unlock Lilith, but is it going to be a pain in the current state of the game?

oh hey, funny catching you here, ha, ha , ha

the answer is no, greed mode is still easily broken at the drop of a hat and ultra greed is almost harmless in the first place

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
I did poorly on the daily. I hadn't used that bomber boy item before and blew my rear end up. I didn't realise it also affected troll bombs and the like.

Also, did they un-nerf azazel already? I haven't used him in ages and the way you guys were carrying on I thought he was going to blow but he's still a huge killing machine compared to everyone else

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Zo posted:

oh hey, funny catching you here, ha, ha , ha

the answer is no, greed mode is still easily broken at the drop of a hat and ultra greed is almost harmless in the first place

Seems we share similar tastes!

I'll give that a try next, then. Had an awesome Eden run a minute ago with Godhead and all sorts of stuff, but it ended at the hush cause I had to give him a go. It was my first try so no cathedral light or trap door opened after. Oh well.

For now, there are some challenge dungeons calling me.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

What are some great items to break Greed Mode now? Piggy Bank was always good, as was gimp mask...

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Atoramos posted:

What are some great items to break Greed Mode now? Piggy Bank was always good, as was gimp mask...

Swallowed Penny works. Also Dr. Fetus, Epic Fetus and IPECAC means your only limit on rerolls is until the machines break.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Atoramos posted:

Damage ups are really the main thing, but Ultra Greed's incoming damage is capped unless you glitch him with Midas touch so even classic DPS builds have diminishing returns lower than you might expect. So really you just need enough HP to where you'd be comfortable taking him on. It's pretty simple as long as you can get those 2 things, and since you can guarantee a Devil Deal or Angel Room every floor it's surprisingly not all that difficult to put it together. Basement seems to be the toughest floor for me on most of my runs unless I get a damage up in one of the item rooms.

Bombs for re-rolls seem to be more valuable than actual money sometimes so Bomb Bag would actually be pretty strong since it would have the chance to proc every wave. Sack of Pennies is also real good.

Piggy Bank and Swallowed Penny are fine, but ideally you don't want to be taking that much damage unless you have something like Little Chad to drop hearts for you. So they can be a start to a synergy, but they're not all that useful on their own.

Spectral Tears, Brimstone, or anything else that passes through enemies is also great for mowing through all the junk that spawns in during regular waves and from Ultra Greed.

edit:
Oh, and Jera or 2 of Diamonds is OP compared to any pills you could possibly get so don't ever bother taking Little Baggy. Balls of Steel is probably the best pill you could get in your rotation, but Hierophant exists so it doesn't matter.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 6, 2015

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Breaking the re-roll machines always spits out a couple of coins too.

The lucky rock will more than pay for itself, especially if you have stompy or unlimited explosives.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Steam Sale is also pretty drat good.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
breaking greed mode isn't that necessary unless you just want to have some fun. Ultra Greed isn't very difficult. People complaining about his health are just baffling. In any other game this would be considered an incredibly short boss fight. The most difficult parts of greed mode are when you have to deal with multiple Stains

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Hush's final phase where he turns the screen into a bullet hell is insane. I have no idea on how to beat it without stopwatch, the soul or a fuckton of health.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Spergminer posted:

Hush's final phase where he turns the screen into a bullet hell is insane. I have no idea on how to beat it without stopwatch, the soul or a fuckton of health.

It's not as scary as it looks really. The bullets left-right and up-down follow a pretty predictable path. If you can find a safe area, just stay there until it passes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Greed Mode Lost isn't fun at all. Just hoping for luck to pass your way with the D4 to turn trash items into something potentially more useful.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I picked up Gimpy a couple of times on greed mode and it didn't seem to give me anything other than hearts.

Ghost Head posted:

The most difficult parts of greed mode are when you have to deal with multiple Stains
I loving hate that fight and The Shop always seems to have it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sage Grimm posted:

Lost isn't fun at all.

This is really all you had to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

PantsBandit posted:

I really like picking it up at the beginning of a run on someone like Maggy or Samson who don't have a lot of base offense and can afford to lose a red heart or two as a result. Usually on Maggy I get a significant speed, damage, or tear boost at the cost of a heart or range.

Brimstone sad bombs are loving hilarious. It's too bad to get the sad bombs I had to take on the boss rush with no red hearts. That was a mistake :downs:

How Rude fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Nov 6, 2015