Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Doctor Soup posted:

It is my deepest shame.

I salvaged a wreckage the other day and it counted as stolen. What even is this game.

Simple - there are salvage missions now. Accepting the contract grants you a temporary permit to salvage things at a wreck. In other words, legal salvage.

Once you turn it in, you need to take another mission to get a new permit.

The reasoning behind this does make actual sense - a wreck still belongs to its owner, and that owner is usually a pilot of the Pilot's Federation (the one all of us belong to). The PF seems to defer to local jurisdiction to stuff dumped or wrecked in a system (that is, it is up to the locals how and when it can be recovered) but the electric trackersor magic space pixies or whatever still flag the pilot or the pilot's employer as the owner. That is, it's not your property to just take. Maritime law still applies in the 34th century.

In simple real life terms, it's the difference of this:

quote:

Contract salvage
In contract salvage the owner of the property and salvor enter into a salvage contract prior to the commencement of salvage operations and the amount that the salvor is paid is determined by the contract. This can be a fixed amount, based on a "time and materials" basis, or any other terms that both parties agree to. The contract may also state that payment is only due if the salvage operation is successful (a.k.a. "No Cure, No Pay"),[6] or that payment is due even if the operation is not successful. By far the commonest single form of salvage contract internationally is Lloyd's Standard Form of Salvage Agreement (2011), and English law arbitration agreement administered by the Council of Lloyd's, London.[7]

versus this:

quote:

Plunder[edit]
When certain vessels are lost in an unknown area, a potential salvor might discover and plunder the wreck without knowledge of the wreck's owner. Salvaging a foreign navy's vessel is against international law.[8]

When you "abandon" cargo as opposed to "jettisoning" it, you are most likely clearing the electronic trackers on each ton of cargo canister and removing ownership. Then it legally can be picked up by anyone.
:goonsay:

Edit: proclick

DarthBlingBling posted:

I made a pro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuyn8_qrUE

NPCs being silly

Also you can watch it in full screen and pretend you're an ace pilot like me :)

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

That said, you'd think it would be legal to help an escape pod get to the nearest station.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Doctor Soup posted:

Yeah, that actually makes a lot of sense.

That said, you'd think it would be legal to help an escape pod get to the nearest station.

It's more or less a placeholder, hopefully it will tie in the upcoming passenger service thing (take on the survivor, maybe get a mission from them! :haw: but that is me speculating. Something like that is definitely in the works tho, according to dev notes

It is possible that an unauthorized attempt to save someone in a pod is illegal like driving around in a van with flashing lights and calling it an ambulance is illegal - you just aren't authorized to act as a rescuer (that's what the mission is for, to contract a rescue). The escape pod is intact and working, they can hold out until the proper authorities arrive.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Oh god, I was a space kidnapper all along. :ohdear:

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Doctor Soup posted:

Oh god, I was a space kidnapper all along. :ohdear:

How does it feel to sell a fellow Pilot's Federation member to slavery, you monster

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Chrysophylax posted:

How does it feel to sell a fellow Pilot's Federation member to slavery, you monster

Pfft. I drop those into suns.

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
How does Elite run compared to Rebel Galaxy. I can run RG at 1680x1050 with almost everything maxed but my computer is really showing its age. I built it 5-6 years ago for about 800 bucks. Would I be able to run this even if its on low graphics at a decent frame rate?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
With all the fun that I've been having my Fuel Ratting in my rusty DBX utility wagon, I think if NPC escape pod rescue missions became an actual thing I'd end up doing them all the time and having an absolute blast.

Hell, put some escape pod missions near crash sites on planets, so I can bliss out doing SRV search and rescue too.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

DarthBlingBling posted:

I made a pro video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFuyn8_qrUE

NPCs being silly

Also you can watch it in full screen and pretend you're an ace pilot like me :)

How were you getting 284k from haulers?

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

TK-42-1 posted:

How were you getting 284k from haulers?

Look again, those were Fer De Lances. They look similar on the target screen, I'll be damned!

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Literally Kermit posted:

It's more or less a placeholder, hopefully it will tie in the upcoming passenger service thing (take on the survivor, maybe get a mission from them! :haw: but that is me speculating. Something like that is definitely in the works tho, according to dev notes
I'm not holding my breath, though, since it's on their long list of "no timetable available" features from that Q&A the other day:

Dante80 posted:

• Passengers? Planned, but can't remember exact timescale.

Sorry, Orca!

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Part of me is fairly certain that passengers is being delayed until players can move around in their ships.

Players will become passengers as it's introduced after multi-crew instancing fuzziness is sorted out and stable.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I still haven't preordered because having to do it through their dumb store and not Steam is awful

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

LCL-Dead posted:

Part of me is fairly certain that passengers is being delayed until players can move around in their ships.

Players will become passengers as it's introduced after multi-crew instancing fuzziness is sorted out and stable.

God I hope not, that poo poo sounds like Star Citizen levels of sperginess.

Virtual beverage serving mini-game next I presume? What reason would there be for players to walk around ships as relating to passengers? Other players are your passengers, so they get to sit in virtual seats and wait for the journey to end? In flight entertainment available? Socialize with your fellow passengers while on your intergalactic journey of discovery! :fuckoff:

edit: the only reason I can think of is that passengers was initially penned as an idea before the FTL drive was a thing (am I right?), and since journeys take mere minutes now, they have to come up with some sort of complicated gameplay mechanics for passengers to exist as anything other normal cargo with a different name.

KiddieGrinder fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 5, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

KiddieGrinder posted:

What reason would there be for players to walk around ships as relating to passengers?
Kidnapping and assassination.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
I would pay a few thousand credits to hitch a ride to another station without having to drive there myself. That could be kind of cool.

of course, if I took passengers on myself, we'd be taking a 1-way trip into a black hole as soon as everyone was belted in.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

tooterfish posted:

Kidnapping and assassination.

Hosting player weddings. Three cheers for the happy coup--:fuckoff: this is going to be a funeral barge very soon.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Libluini posted:

I'd probably find it endearing, too -I just played EVE Online for too long. The EVE-devs have a similarly endearing way of gleefully describing what new ships can do months in advance. So Frontier stumps me extra hard since they're the exact opposite. :v:

Something we can agree on! To me it just seems like bad business to be so opaque about upcoming features that aren't some hidden secret thing. Hype is good, hype moves product, I'd wager at least a few people bought the game after seeing what the corvette was like, or after seeing the rover footage.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

KiddieGrinder posted:

God I hope not, that poo poo sounds like Star Citizen levels of sperginess.

Virtual beverage serving mini-game next I presume? What reason would there be for players to walk around ships as relating to passengers? Other players are your passengers, so they get to sit in virtual seats and wait for the journey to end? In flight entertainment available? Socialize with your fellow passengers while on your intergalactic journey of discovery! :fuckoff:

Come on, there's obviously no way this will be a thing. Passengers will be glorified cargo, hopefully with an interesting quirk or two. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk around my ships, and I'm looking forward to PC and NPC crew, but with Frontier's slow development of and low priority on these sorts of immersion-based features, I can't imagine passengers being a thing that you'd actually see and interact with.

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Nov 5, 2015

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Trustworthy posted:

Come on, there's obviously no way this will be a thing. Passengers will be glorified cargo, hopefully with an interesting quirk or two. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk around my ships, and I'm looking forward to PC and NPC crew, but with Frontier's slow development of and low priority on these sorts of immersion-based features, I can't imagine passengers being a thing that you'd actually see and interact with.

The present day airline industry calls passengers self-loading cargo.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KiddieGrinder posted:

edit: the only reason I can think of is that passengers was initially penned as an idea before the FTL drive was a thing (am I right?), and since journeys take mere minutes now, they have to come up with some sort of complicated gameplay mechanics for passengers to exist as anything other normal cargo with a different name.

Passengers existing as normal cargo that requires special equipment (berthing or life support equipped cargo space or whatever) and that can't be bought as a commodity would be fine, honestly. They just really need to do add some kind of mechanic to make the Orca not super pointless, since it sucks having a cool as hell (and expensive) ship that there's no reason to buy at all.

In any case, I doubt they're holding off for player passengers. I can't recall that ever even being on the table?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

sincx posted:

more like self-loathing cargo!

am I right?!

:smith:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I concede that this is a loaded question, but how :spergin: does this game require you to be? I never played Elite, but I loved Freelancer, which I heard pissed off die-hard flight sim communities at the time for being so accessible (mouse controls, Star Wars physics, the ability to save and reload).

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

MisterBibs posted:

I concede that this is a loaded question, but how :spergin: does this game require you to be? I never played Elite, but I loved Freelancer, which I heard pissed off die-hard flight sim communities at the time for being so accessible (mouse controls, Star Wars physics, the ability to save and reload).

It's actually pretty accessible, with the option to sperg out and sperg out hard.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MisterBibs posted:

The gameplay itself is simple enough, with mouse controls and gamey physics (basically airplanes in space). No save/reload per se, but if you die, you simply pay a 5% deductible on your ship and you respawn with it at the last station you visited. If you don't have the money (ALWAYS CARRY INSURANCE MONEY), then you can take out a loan. If you run out of credit, then you basically start the game over with a starter ship at a newbie system.

Elite does require that you are okay having basically no story driving the action, and also that you are okay seeking out your own action. This isn't like TIE Fighter or Freespace 2 where there's a big narrative driving the action and cool characters to meet and talk to, or like Elder Scrolls where you can gently caress off and do whatever, but there is a big storyline to come back to and a bunch of sub-plots to mess with. Elite is entirely "gently caress off and do whatever."

It is fun as hell though. Flying around feels great, docking feels great, winging up with some friends and blasting everything out of the sky owns, and the upcoming expansion space buggies look like they'll be a blast. If you don't mind making your own fun, then there's plenty to be had.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

sincx posted:

You got a source for that?

Asking as I work for an airline and I've never heard that term, we just call them pax or *gasp* passengers.

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one

MisterBibs posted:

Considering your freak-outs over very, very simple things in WoW you will hate this game, I promise. NPCs can harass you heavily in space, which was one of your huge complaints about WoW.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Welp, sold the Fer-de-Lance. What a pretty ship with such terribly restrictive fitting and lovely travel ability. I'll probably buy it again when I can afford to both A-rate it and still afford a class 4 plasma accelerator, but for now the money has gone into A-rating the Federal Assault Ship. Turns out twin class 3 PAs that you can power alongside shields and an SCB is pretty good.

If only the FAS didn't look like such an :effort: kitbash compared to the FGS.

Sard fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Nov 6, 2015

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Mr Darcy posted:

You got a source for that?

Asking as I work for an airline and I've never heard that term, we just call them pax or *gasp* passengers.

I don't know if it's true or not, but I certainly feel like cargo most times I fly.

Paradoxish posted:

In any case, I doubt they're holding off for player passengers. I can't recall that ever even being on the table?

I don't know, I just saw it mentioned here as a possible reason why passenger system has been delayed. I find it very hard to believe it would be a thing, considering how small player groups are anyway (isn't it like, five to ten players at the most?), I can't imagine it working.

Zaardvark
Apr 28, 2015

Ceci n'est pas un GIF.
Anyone here doing the Cayutorme CG? Both sides of the conflict are offering spacebux for combat bonds in the CGs. Natually, I signed up for both sides.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/301

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Zaardvark posted:

Anyone here doing the Cayutorme CG? Both sides of the conflict are offering spacebux for combat bonds in the CGs. Natually, I signed up for both sides.

https://community.elitedangerous.com/node/301

I've never done a combat bond CG before, how does the bonus pay work for these?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Considering your freak-outs over very, very simple things in WoW you will hate this game, I promise. NPCs can harass you heavily in space, which was one of your huge complaints about WoW.

Interesting, could you elaborate? Are we talking inherently unacceptable poo poo like Dazed/Dismounting sort of harassment, with no ability to bypass it? Are we talking roguelike "sometimes you're just screwed or forced into things you don't want" stuff? To use analogies from a game I liked in the genre (Freelancer), I don't mind the enemies there because basic dogfighting gets rid of them quickly.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Nov 6, 2015

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

MisterBibs posted:

Are we talking inherently unacceptable poo poo like Dazed/Dismounting sort of harassment, with no ability to bypass it?

Oh lord. Picture a minigame every time a mob tries to daze+dismount you, and if you fail the minigame you can try and run away, but as soon as you re-mount you're probably going to have to do the same minigame again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Some NPCs will try to drag you out of supercruise, and if you screw up they uninstall your game.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

That is opt-in though, if you don't pledge to anyone in Power Play no one harasses you except the odd pirate every now and then. Or cops if you are a bad criminal person.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Space Skeleton posted:

That is opt-in though, if you don't pledge to anyone in Power Play no one harasses you except the odd pirate every now and then. Or cops if you are a bad criminal person.

Or if you have any trading or smuggling quests at all, in which case psychic pirates will spring forth from the ether to jump you.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I get interdicted by pirates and cops with no quests and no criminal record. You are never free from it while you're in populated space.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I get interdicted by pirates and cops with no quests and no criminal record. You are never free from it while you're in populated space.

You can get interdicted by people in unpopulated space. It's pretty great when cops pull you over to make sure you're in compliance with the laws of the local, nonexistent population.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I almost never get randomly interdicted unless I am on missions or have a large bounty in the system I am in. Very rarely a pirate sniffs around but only if I'm hanging around in supercruise for a bit.

The most I get interdicted is while hanging around a system with a pirate faction but even then it's not that much unless they are the controlling faction, but that stops if you ally with them.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Is there any resource where I can read up on how to gain faction standing with the empire. Or just how factions and missions are connected in general? I am a little overwhelmed and I basically need a manual.

• Locked thread