Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

The power armor seems pretty functionally useless unless you got the cores to power it. One might think "oh that's unbalanced, they just up and give you power armor in the very first town you go to?" when come to find out it needs fusion cores and is generally a useless piece of poo poo you just have chilling at your house until way later into the game, when you would have typically been given a power armor in other games.

i think that's an interesting decision. like early on you have to pick and choose when to spend your precious fusion cores like if you know you're heading into an area with a lot of enemies

in theory

in practice you will probably just stockpile cores afraid to use them because fallout is a game about indulging low key hoarding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
I played both Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the PC many times over and it is what I am used to for the most part. This iteration I am probably going to grab it for the PS4 so I can play it on my TV, but having never played the previous two on a console, I am not sure how great of a change it will be. Any of you who have played on both PC and console that can tell me if it is a huge difference? Obviously mods are the biggest one, but I am more concerned about general game play while using a controller.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Boofchicken posted:

I played both Fallout 3 and New Vegas on the PC many times over and it is what I am used to for the most part. This iteration I am probably going to grab it for the PS4 so I can play it on my TV, but having never played the previous two on a console, I am not sure how great of a change it will be. Any of you who have played on both PC and console that can tell me if it is a huge difference? Obviously mods are the biggest one, but I am more concerned about general game play while using a controller.

As someone who played all of New Vegas on the 360 first, I can say that there's not much. You can hotkey things I think.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

i think that's an interesting decision. like early on you have to pick and choose when to spend your precious fusion cores like if you know you're heading into an area with a lot of enemies

in theory

in practice you will probably just stockpile cores afraid to use them because fallout is a game about indulging low key hoarding

Fallout 4 is about hoarding for craft materials so more likely you will have to choose between powering turrets and machines in settlements or taking them with you to use power armor. Scarcity likely will never be a true issue even on the survival/highest difficulties, but its attempt to placate anyone that wanted that sort of resource management in their silly apocalypse game.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Crabtree posted:

Fallout 4 is about hoarding for craft materials so more likely you will have to choose between powering turrets and machines in settlements or taking them with you to use power armor. Scarcity likely will never be a true issue even on the survival/highest difficulties, but its attempt to placate anyone that wanted that sort of resource management in their silly apocalypse game.

oh sure, i will have plenty of cores

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I THINK how the Ghoulish perk will work is, it won't prevent rads from building up in your system and acting as a cap on your max health... but it'll heal you up at the same time. +10 health, -10 max health, something like that.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm watchin the hatenewspapers stream and it looks like companions will poke around on their own. The dude was looking around a hut and there was a nearby weapon station and his companing went over to it and started doing stuff. A bit later he was ransacking some old dudes bunker and she was looking through the shelves.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

The power armor seems pretty functionally useless unless you got the cores to power it. One might think "oh that's unbalanced, they just up and give you power armor in the very first town you go to?" when come to find out it needs fusion cores and is generally a useless piece of poo poo you just have chilling at your house until way later into the game, when you would have typically been given a power armor in other games.

I never really got what power armor was, like was it just really good, durable armor or was it literally a tank that you wear like clothes? Because it always looked like the latter but Fallout 3 and NV treated it like the former. With enough strength you could carry nearly half-a-dozen full suits of power armor.

The "mobile tank that fits like a suit of armor and requires energy to use" approach kind of makes sense, but I don't really know Fallout lore or have any idea how power armor was intended to work.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

didn't powerarmor barely get used in the first place before the nukes started getting slung?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Speedball posted:

I think it's not, hence why they run on fuel. But if you manage your resources and supply chains like I think they promise you will, you ought to have more than enough fuel to use your power armor a LOT.

eh, gently caress that, i'll just cheatengine infinite fuel. I need my mask hud. all the time.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

King Vidiot posted:

The "mobile tank that fits like a suit of armor and requires energy to use" approach kind of makes sense, but I don't really know Fallout lore or have any idea how power armor was intended to work.

I love this approach, and how you look like inside it without the helmet

This is the BoS companion, apparently

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

frajaq posted:

I love any game that shows how stupid power armor should be, lookit his lil head

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

King Vidiot posted:

I never really got what power armor was, like was it just really good, durable armor or was it literally a tank that you wear like clothes? Because it always looked like the latter but Fallout 3 and NV treated it like the former. With enough strength you could carry nearly half-a-dozen full suits of power armor.

FO 1&2 had it as really good armor that was heavy, but also boosted your str, no fuel limitations. This mobile tank armor approach is new and I'm looking forward to it because god drat power armor in FO 3 was a huge disappointment.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
There any streams going on?

E:

Oh Tommy Wiseau moved, never mind

Beeb fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 6, 2015

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Power Armor was always a mobile tank that a soldier could wear. It's just in Fallout 3 they didn't really get that across very well.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

frajaq posted:

Yeah, I think they really nailed what power armour should be instead of another set of clothes that only weighs like 35 pounds or something.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I love any game that shows how stupid power armor should be, lookit his lil head

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

I hope that, like X-Com, you can wear a fedora with your death-suit

m'mutant

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

didn't powerarmor barely get used in the first place before the nukes started getting slung?

Power armor was America's biggest, yet hidden, secret weapon that toke the world by storm. Power Armor which won them the battle(s) but ultimately lost them the war because they were too effective and force China to go nuclear.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

NecroMonster posted:

The real question is why they have vertibirds in the prewar sequences, since they were canonically prototypes just undergoing field trials at the time of the war, so why would the regular military in the Boston area have them/use them as part of the evacuation?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Back Hack posted:

Power armor was America's biggest, yet hidden, secret weapon that toke the world by storm. Power Armor which won them the battle(s) but ultimately lost them the war because they were too effective and force China to go nuclear.

Its not known who fired the first nuke, might not have been China.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Pwnstar posted:

I believe you'll find that it was actually aliens according to the critically acclaimed DLC Mothership Zeta

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

frajaq posted:

Finally! Back to how they were in fo1 and 2 and not that clusterfuck it was in fo3.

Game gonna be great guys. Chill.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Pwnstar posted:

Generation Internet posted:

I believe you'll find that it was actually aliens according to the critically acclaimed DLC Mothership Zeta

Before that horrible Zeta abortion, it was implied heavily that it was the Chinese.

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 6, 2015

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance

Effectronica posted:

It's there for epic rail shooting and chilling with your buds in the power armor gangs, taking potshots at rats with your laser muskets
Snark aside, are there rail shooting sequences in the game? I stopped watching streams.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Those don't count, they're just amputated human torsos shoved down the necks of Space Marine armor. Of course they've got tiny little heads, that's basically all that's left of 'em.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

boneration posted:

Snark aside, are there rail shooting sequences in the game? I stopped watching streams.

When you first get the suit it's remote controlled by one of your resistance/revolutionary buddies as a tutorial. This takes about 8 minutes and you can't stop it once you've started.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Back Hack posted:

Before that horrible Zeta abortion, it was implied heavily that it was the Chinese.

quote:

Our defenses consist of 3 battalions of light infantry, 34 pieces of field artillery, 108 armored vehicles and 42 aerial vehicles.
(Alien Babble)
We have 38 ICBM's always on alert and ready to fire when the word is passed down from the White House.
(Alien Babble)
The codes to activate the launch sequences are... are... uhhngh.... no... I can't let you... uggh... get out of my mind!
(Alien Babble)
Agggh! The c-codes... are... ugh.... no... I can't betray... AGH! My head! I can't... won't... AGGGGH! Agggh...
(Alien Babble)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnd0qg4I_MM

Frankly Fallout could use more FMV cut-scenes to really drive home that emotional impact.

de_dust
Jan 21, 2009

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Pwnstar posted:

In 3 and NV it's alluded to that China fired first due to the U.S. being on the verge of actually winning the war itself.

The U.S. also still has nuclear missiles still in silos which is more proof that China hit first.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Cephalocidal posted:

Those don't count, they're just amputated human torsos shoved down the necks of Space Marine armor. Of course they've got tiny little heads, that's basically all that's left of 'em.

It's still pretty hilarious, because non-upgraded MEC Troopers have reasonable proportions.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

I thought valt-tec might have done it too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Point Lookout or whatever it was had you use a simulator emulating one of the first deployments of Power Armor that tipped the scales of war in the battle for Alaska. As a bonus, going through the simulation teaches you how to use power armor.

Our protagonist in Fallout 4 is supposed to be ex-military, so presumably they already know how to use Power Armor and the limiting factor isn't training, but fuel.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Didn't Interplay games drop the possibility of first nuke being launched by some bored AI?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

GuyUpNorth posted:

Didn't Interplay games drop the possibility of first nuke being launched by some bored AI?

I think it's better if it's a mystery, like zombie apocalypses. The cause doesn't matter as much as the aftermath.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

I hope that, like X-Com, you can wear a fedora with your death-suit

m'mutant

The Hatenews stream last night showed off a guy with a lootable trilby and whatever Valentine wore could possibly worn by the player as well, so horrible fashion choices are there for you to make.

Speedball posted:

Point Lookout or whatever it was had you use a simulator emulating one of the first deployments of Power Armor that tipped the scales of war in the battle for Alaska. As a bonus, going through the simulation teaches you how to use power armor.

Our protagonist in Fallout 4 is supposed to be ex-military, so presumably they already know how to use Power Armor and the limiting factor isn't training, but fuel.

Speaking of Point Lookout, apparently most of Fallout 3 DLCs besides Replicated Man had callbacks to The Commonwealth. Marcella of Abbey of The Road out in New York, That poo poo gently caress Tobar who ran the boat initially to Point Lookout, Ashur of The Pitt said his little trog kingdom was an envy of this area. Then of course there's Doctor Li heading up there in Broken Steel and Dr. Zimmer, Harkness and Armitage. So whether we want them or not, there's probably going to be quite a few callbacks to D.C. in this game. And I don't know if it would be cool to see Marie Ashur bring us back to The Pitt or not.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GuyUpNorth posted:

It was a Wargames reference and might actually just have been a sort of joke where it was playing a game and never actually launched a nuke, it just happened to be playing at the same time as the nuclear war was going on.

Speedball posted:

I think it's better if it's a mystery, like zombie apocalypses. The cause doesn't matter as much as the aftermath.

Basically.

I think it's an incredibly interesting decision and one I think works in the games favor, since I hated what they made Power armor into. If I find that the fuel thing is too limited, I could always mod it out I guess. Or cheat myself more fuel.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...
Anyone have any links to a stream I can view on my tablet? Past couple I checked don't work and I would like to spoil my own excitement about this game.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Except that in Mothership Zeta, the relevant fact is that the aliens were denied the info that they would've needed to start the war.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Will this game require Steam, i.e. if I order a key from a 3rd party site, will it work on my Steam account? Or has Bethesda decided to go their own route similar to Ubisoft?

My Google-fu is weak because it's so late, but thinking of ordering from here since it's fairly cheap: http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam

Also wondering if that site is legit, never used them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

Will this game require Steam, i.e. if I order a key from a 3rd party site, will it work on my Steam account? Or has Bethesda decided to go their own route similar to Ubisoft?

My Google-fu is weak because it's so late, but thinking of ordering from here since it's fairly cheap: http://www.cdkeys.com/pc/games/fallout-4-pc-cd-key-steam

Also wondering if that site is legit, never used them before.

Yeah, the game uses Steam, there isn't any Uplay bullshit going on.

As for that site, I'm not sure if it's legit but personally if I have to ask "Is this site legit?" then it isn't worth the risk.

If you want to save some money just use GMG's 20% coupon, it's only like $5 more and you don't have to worry about your credit card or steam account being stolen.

• Locked thread