Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Tell us when they ask that you "negotiate lower rates" with Microsoft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

poo poo pissing me off:

A dev decides that the best way to get my attention is not to ping me on Slack, or ping our ops room on Slack wondering if he can get some certs (since I had helped him late at night one night with this)

Instead, the best way is to sneak up on me, go around to my blind side (since i normally sit shifted to one side or another when I'm coding), and whack the back of my chair to get my attention since I hadn't noticed him due to having headphones on.

"Hey, can you get me the certs"
"Sure, no worries, I'll just drop everything I was doing and help you" with all the sarcasm I could muster.

My boss later chided me for not doing my normal thing I do when people surprise me and yell at them.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Head of our IT group sends out an email:
"Hey everyone, we are now going to be using <New Amazing Program> for things, this is mandatory. Make sure to go to the website on this link and sign up for something, and then blah blah internal site and whatever"

This guy is enamored with the idea that somewhere out there is a piece of software that will fix all our problems. Its never a personal issue, or a training issue, its we just haven't found the right program yet. He doesn't talk to our group much, but I guess he just ping-pongs between ideas and stops as soon as it looks like running the software hasn't instantly fixed everything.

Don't get me wrong, there are better tools we could be using, but having something that improves a small bit of my job doesn't really fix the big issues. What we really need is a Sharepoint setup for IT, but no one will volunteer to run it, and no one will be hired to run it, so it will forever sit on the top of a whiteboard.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Dick Trauma posted:

They want to protect the company in case of a disaster in L.A. that takes out the server room
An aside - why don't bosses ever take "if there is a disaster large enough to take out Los Angeles/our datacenter, our company does not matter" for an answer?

Stripe, what's our disaster plan if our California datacenter is offline for an extended period of time?
Um, care for our loved ones?

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

An aside - why don't bosses ever take "if there is a disaster large enough to take out Los Angeles/our datacenter, our company does not matter" for an answer?

Because they expect you to have set up the data center to take care of itself, of course. :v:

In other news we had a visit yesterday from the city CFO. She explained how we're cutting back, and that the IT department is looking at a broad 2% reduction. If we have any suggestions we're more than welcome to come to her with them, and naturally I told her I have plenty. That gave me a hefty dose of stinkeye from my boss. He got over it quickly when I started rattling off the amounts we'd be able to save by scrapping all the projects I know the CFO likes, and asking her to pick one. Somehow it's a lot easier for people to cut across the board than it is to decide which project to scrap, and be ready to take the responsibility.

15 minutes ago we got a department-wide mail from the finance dept. Our budget stays unchanged for 2016. Why yes, I'm feeling pretty :clint: right now.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What leads people to decide that their phone service is so business-critical that they select a SIP provider based purely on price, and then are surprised when the call quality and support are complete poo poo?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Thanks Ants posted:

What leads people to decide that their phone service is so business-critical that they select a SIP provider based purely on price, and then are surprised when the call quality and support are complete poo poo?

We have a good internet connection, don't we?

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Thanks Ants posted:

The same thing that leads people to get residential-class internet subscriptions without any form of SLA contract, and then complain about the thousands they're losing for every hour their line is down, especially when they then learn that calling in on friday afternoon after 5 PM means the earliest a tech can come fix it might just be tuesday morning, and then refusing to pay the (relatively) small fee for an on-call technician.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

EDIT: Ha! My boss just sent me an email that she'd like to see another cost/benefits analysis. I'm going to make something without any costs. It's going to be a list of what they wanted matched up against where my proposal satisfies those requirements. I'll use lots of green shading to indicate how they'll get all these things plus trimmings like centralized instant messaging, screensharing, etc. Curious to see what happens.

Cost of not doing.
Benefit of doing.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Posting on behalf of my coworker.

We work for a small-ish digital agency that recently re-launched the website of one of our largest clients. My coworker is a front-end developer who has spent weeks on the project and is kinda solely responsible for how good it now looks.

The client recently got in touch to announce they are having a celebration of the launch and have invited... the designer who mocked up the visuals, the project manager who picked up the phone and relayed client requests and our MD who was not involved in the project.

Feeling that Christmas spirit already.

:negative:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

nexus6 posted:

Posting on behalf of my coworker.

We work for a small-ish digital agency that recently re-launched the website of one of our largest clients. My coworker is a front-end developer who has spent weeks on the project and is kinda solely responsible for how good it now looks.

The client recently got in touch to announce they are having a celebration of the launch and have invited... the designer who mocked up the visuals, the project manager who picked up the phone and relayed client requests and our MD who was not involved in the project.

Feeling that Christmas spirit already.

:negative:

Shouldn't your PM / MD take the initiative in this case to give their place to the dev? Or is that not how your company rolls?

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks Ants posted:

Shouldn't your PM / MD take the initiative in this case to give their place to the dev? Or is that not how your company rolls?

If only. "A meal and night out at the client's expense? Sure, you can go in my place"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Thanks Ants posted:

What do you mean VoIP doesn't work well over my 128kbps Satellite connection? YOU SAID YOU PROVIDED A QUALITY SERVICE.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

AlternateAccount posted:

SOX pisses me off. What a giant goddamn waste of time. I watch these contractor auditors and the contractor auditors that are helping us get ready for the real auditors and our own internal audit staff and it's just such a massive example of bullshit moneywasting busywork that produces nothing of any value, and yet manages to constantly get in the way of actually getting poo poo done. The Worst.

Haha so true. For the last 3 years or so the auditors have outnumbered the workers

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The coffee machine at my client this morning is broken. Not how I like to start my Friday. Somehow I've made it through the last two hours, but I'm not sure I'll make it until lunch.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
Go to the "bathroom".

Come back with one of those big boxes of coffee.

Be a hero.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

nielsm posted:

Cost of not doing.
Benefit of doing.

One of the problems I have here is that the CEO and my boss do not want to hear technical details of anything, ever. I also get essentially no opportunity to even describe these things I want us to buy.

There's an I.T. consultant they both love that always creates PowerPoint presentations using SWOT analysis and the like, little bullet point matrices that make things as easy to digest as possible. I'm building one right now that starts with dumbed-down descriptions of Azure and O365, will have a SWOT table with the most basic explanations possible of how we get things we want from these services, and finish with a summary that says BUY THESE THINGS TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

One of the problems I have here is that the CEO and my boss do not want to hear technical details of anything, ever. I also get essentially no opportunity to even describe these things I want us to buy.

There's an I.T. consultant they both love that always creates PowerPoint presentations using SWOT analysis and the like, little bullet point matrices that make things as easy to digest as possible. I'm building one right now that starts with dumbed-down descriptions of Azure and O365, will have a SWOT table with the most basic explanations possible of how we get things we want from these services, and finish with a summary that says BUY THESE THINGS TO GET WHAT YOU WANT.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

tomapot posted:

I'm at s MS event called "Cloud Roadshow" with the tag "Skill-up for the cloud."
Makes me wish I had a cloud-to-butt filter for my glasses.

Killer app for hololens, I think.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

CitizenKain posted:

Head of our IT group sends out an email:
"Hey everyone, we are now going to be using <New Amazing Program> for things, this is mandatory. Make sure to go to the website on this link and sign up for something, and then blah blah internal site and whatever"

This guy is enamored with the idea that somewhere out there is a piece of software that will fix all our problems. Its never a personal issue, or a training issue, its we just haven't found the right program yet. He doesn't talk to our group much, but I guess he just ping-pongs between ideas and stops as soon as it looks like running the software hasn't instantly fixed everything.

Don't get me wrong, there are better tools we could be using, but having something that improves a small bit of my job doesn't really fix the big issues. What we really need is a Sharepoint setup for IT, but no one will volunteer to run it, and no one will be hired to run it, so it will forever sit on the top of a whiteboard.

tbh, I am not a fan of Sharepoint at all. The wiki is garbage. I've been trying to get support for setting up something for informal developer docs, but the only reasonable alternative to sharepoint is Confluenece, but honestly that's not much better in some respects, and I know there will be opinionated people (like me) who will hate it for one reason or another.

Sometimes, it just doesn't feel like there are any good tools out there.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

I just sent an email that's going to go over like a Molotov cocktail tossed at a gas station. :feelsgood:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not a work thing but a phone thing - that's twice now that my Samsung Galaxy S5 has lost all signal. No wifi, no phone, nothing. A reboot fixes it, but what the fuuuuck? Always great when work is trying to get in touch with you and your only indication is the emails in Outlook saying "hey stripe are you around?" well yeah of course I am arooooohhhh my god I've missed 30 emails and a bunch of people were trying to call me apparently. Lovely.

mewse
May 2, 2006

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Not a work thing but a phone thing - that's twice now that my Samsung Galaxy S5 has lost all signal. No wifi, no phone, nothing. A reboot fixes it, but what the fuuuuck? Always great when work is trying to get in touch with you and your only indication is the emails in Outlook saying "hey stripe are you around?" well yeah of course I am arooooohhhh my god I've missed 30 emails and a bunch of people were trying to call me apparently. Lovely.

Get an iPhone

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Crowley posted:

In other news we had a visit yesterday from the city CFO. She explained how we're cutting back, and that the IT department is looking at a broad 2% reduction. If we have any suggestions we're more than welcome to come to her with them, and naturally I told her I have plenty. That gave me a hefty dose of stinkeye from my boss. He got over it quickly when I started rattling off the amounts we'd be able to save by scrapping all the projects I know the CFO likes, and asking her to pick one. Somehow it's a lot easier for people to cut across the board than it is to decide which project to scrap, and be ready to take the responsibility.

15 minutes ago we got a department-wide mail from the finance dept. Our budget stays unchanged for 2016. Why yes, I'm feeling pretty :clint: right now.

This is a good post and people should read this post.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Super pissing me off.

We have a financial planning program hosted by a financial tech company.

This program is build on the top of Microsoft Dynamics.

Since inception the guys building on Dynamics have been hilariously bad at very basic dev.

We have lost data, had unexpected upgrades (without testing) that changed all processes and other remarkably poo poo things happen.

Today one of the staff tells me that all tasks now have a random alpha char at the end of the task titles.

First person to guess why gets a cookie.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Baxta posted:

I've found your reason. My experiences with Dynamics have been like SharePoint - there may well be competent developers out there, but I've not found one yet.

Some devs are customising Dynamics CRM for us at the moment and they had to be specifically told that cost prices shouldn't go on quotations sent to customers alongside the sell prices :psyduck:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Baxta posted:

Super pissing me off.

Since inception the guys building on Dynamics have been hilariously bad at very basic dev.

We have lost data, had unexpected upgrades (without testing) that changed all processes and other remarkably poo poo things happen.

Today one of the staff tells me that all tasks now have a random alpha char at the end of the task titles.

Easier to start appending dumb poo poo instead of adding a new field?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Skandranon posted:

Easier to start appending dumb poo poo instead of adding a new field?

Think many more dumber.

Hint: There are lots of unscheduled db migrations. Things need to be moved to the new db.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Baxta posted:

Super pissing me off.

Some kind of buffer overflow?

Bonus points if it's an overflow from an authentication string somewhere.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Someone's done something hilarious with transaction logs from a DB with a different schema?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Agrikk posted:

Some kind of buffer overflow?

Bonus points if it's an overflow from an authentication string somewhere.

Nah I wish. That would just be some bad programming somewhere.

The real reason?

They don't know how to move tasks by unique id so instead of learning or not migrating until they can prove they aren't loving morons, they are appending a random char to the ends of loving task titles when some task titles have the same string.

Thats right, they are using the title string as the unique identifier.

Its gotten so bad that I now have to design our own CRM.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Baxta posted:

The real reason?

They don't know how to move tasks by unique id so instead of learning or not migrating until they can prove they aren't loving morons, they are appending a random char to the ends of loving task titles when some task titles have the same string.

Wait, so they don't even have a counter, it's just random? Don't you eventually start to get collisions? Does it just keep trying until the random char doesn't cause a conflict?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Skandranon posted:

Wait, so they don't even have a counter, it's just random? Don't you eventually start to get collisions? Does it just keep trying until the random char doesn't cause a conflict?

I know for a fact the Task entity has a unique identifier (Its a dynamics entity). They simply don't know what they are doing.

I cant tell exactly how they are adding the char to the end of the string. It would not surprise me if they have gotten a list of duplicate titles are are manually typing the following

Title: Meeting with Clientaa
Title: Meeting with Clientbb
Title: Meeting with Clientcc
Title: Schedule Investment Implementationaa
Title: Schedule Investment Implementationbb
Title: Schedule Investment Implementationcc

Furious.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Baxta posted:

The real reason?

May I please recommend Salesforce.com. There are bad SFDC devs, but there are also very good ones.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Oh my god. How are they getting paid money for this thing.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Ynglaur posted:

May I please recommend Salesforce.com. There are bad SFDC devs, but there are also very good ones.

For our org, Dynamics is overkill, so is Salesforce. I am building a simple .net app here to do everything since its a windows hosted environment.

I am just pissed off that we pay these jokers so much to give us a slightly modified CRM solution and they are honestly the worst "professional" dev team I have ever heard of.

One of the modifications I asked them to do was the addition of a form with 6 fields in it. These fields were to be linked to the client . Their release windows are every month. It took them 6 months to present the first iteration and not only did it not match the spec, they had lost the spec and linked the fields to some other entity.

How do these people get past interviews? Its an entire team of loving idiots.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you looked at SugarCRM?

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Thanks Ants posted:

Have you looked at SugarCRM?

I think with this particular project, im better off just designing it from scratch. I don't like half built frameworks (although ill be using asp.net mvc5) because experience has shown me its a lot harder to build that one piece of functionality that is always for some reason a business critical function

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
There are a number of smaller CRMs you should look at first, rolling your own these days is a poor decision. Also as a developer, you don't want to get trapped adding features to a custom CRM. Once the owners hear that it's custom, they'll start asking for everything under the sun and you'll be buried by requests for dumb features they don't need. You'll also have to defend to all prospective employers why you wrote a custom CRM. It's also super boring dev work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Baxta posted:

Tell me the system doesn't have a maximum character length limitation for task titles.

Skandranon posted:

There are a number of smaller CRMs you should look at first, rolling your own these days is a poor decision. Also as a developer, you don't want to get trapped adding features to a custom CRM. Once the owners hear that it's custom, they'll start asking for everything under the sun and you'll be buried by requests for dumb features they don't need. You'll also have to defend to all prospective employers why you wrote a custom CRM. It's also super boring dev work.

As an IT person who has inherited an in-house CRM from Development…. don't roll your own. Someone may end up hunting you and your family.