Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
My Bose QC2 headphones make an obnoxious clicking noise when plugged into my Nexus 6P, any app is open (not on the home screen), and the phone is not outputting sound.

The clicking stops when the phone is outputting sound.

I think this is a software issue, and it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Karthe posted:

Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a string of bad phones instead of a new norm in Android devices? For starters, my last three daily-use Android phones have been a 2013 Moto X, an Xperia Z3C, and currently a OnePlus One

Well phones designed to work with gloves on aren't any kind of norm, and the OPO is a unique (and widely reviewed as janky) project, so nah I think you're all right. Just get a normal phone again!

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

It's really interesting how polarized the early BlackBerry Priv reviews are.

The Priv is way overpriced garbage, and BlackBerry is doomed:

http://gizmodo.com/blackberry-priv-review-nope-not-for-me-not-even-for-m-1740822511

http://www.engadget.com/2015/11/06/blackberry-priv-review/

http://www.theverge.com/2015/11/6/9678718/blackberry-priv-impressions-android-new-slider-phone (actually not completely negative despite the fact that BlackBerry sent them a review unit that didn't work lol)

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/11/two-days-with-the-blackberry-priv-it-needs-to-be-better/

The Priv is absolutely worth its price, it's fantastic and BlackBerry is going to live forever:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/blackberry-priv-android-hands-on,30505.html

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/06/blackberry_priv_review/

http://www.androidcentral.com/blackberry-priv-review

http://www.wsj.com/articles/blackberry-priv-review-blackberry-may-win-you-back-with-android-1446786132

Rastor fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Nov 6, 2015

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I almost wonder if there isn't some wild variance in manufacturing because of specific things that some reviewers say are great and others say are dogshit, like the camera.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The rear end Stooge posted:

I almost wonder if there isn't some wild variance in manufacturing because of specific things that some reviewers say are great and others say are dogshit, like the camera.

This would line up with the BB10 devices, I've gone through Z10s and Z30s that have wildly varied in hardware quality and reliability.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

bull3964 posted:

At this point, I'm going to confidently say that Marshmallow had a year long beta and its name was Lollipop.

While Lollipop did some nice things with modernizing the UI, I think the long term outlook on it is going to place it second only to Honeycomb in regards to Google loving up a dessert.

I'd say third after 4.2.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I'm fooling with the camera on my new 6P and recorded a slow motion video.

I played it back and was presented controls for playback speed -- sliders at the bottom of the video play screen in the photos app.

I then deleted the local copy of the video and no longer have those speed controls. I can now stream the video at only one speed. Even downloading it does not return the speed control slider.

Is there a way to get that control back? I don't really understand what is happening with the UI here.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

MC Hawking posted:

Well I dunno about you nerds but bad reviews aside, I'm gonna be really enjoy phoneposting from my $250 firesale Priv next year month. :coal: :homebrew:
Fixed for ya.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I played it back and was presented controls for playback speed -- sliders at the bottom of the video play screen in the photos app.

I then deleted the local copy of the video and no longer have those speed controls. I can now stream the video at only one speed. Even downloading it does not return the speed control slider.

Is there a way to get that control back? I don't really understand what is happening with the UI here.

At a guess it's rendering it to a standard framerate version so that everything can play it. Same with the Lens Blur camera feature, you can adjust the blurring on the original file, but your exported/uploaded copy is a normal rendered image. If you delete the original you don't have it to tweak anymore

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

you have to go into settings, backup & sync, and change upload size from "high quality" to "original"

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I just received my new Nexus 6P and want to get some new wallpapers for it. What's a good app that I can download? I don't mind paying either since I have the $50 Play store credit. Seems like the app store is flooded with a bunch of free wallpaper apps.

Also, I currently use the Sony Xperia widget because its simple and shows everything I want (Time / Temp / Battery Percentage) - What are some other recommendations for good widget apps?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Busy Bee posted:

I just received my new Nexus 6P and want to get some new wallpapers for it. What's a good app that I can download? I don't mind paying either since I have the $50 Play store credit. Seems like the app store is flooded with a bunch of free wallpaper apps.

Also, I currently use the Sony Xperia widget because its simple and shows everything I want (Time / Temp / Battery Percentage) - What are some other recommendations for good widget apps?

Someone posted this one recently, using it on my n10 and its hella cool

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet&hl=en_GB

As for widgets, i'm using Beautiful Widgets on my n5x. You have to trawl through a hell of a lot of user submitted poo poo to find a decent theme though

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 6, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Someone posted this one recently, using it on my n10 and its hella cool

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet&hl=en_GB

As for widgets, i'm using Beautiful Widgets on my n5x. You have to trawl through a hell of a lot of user submitted poo poo to find a decent theme though

Thanks for the wallpaper suggestion.

I used beautiful widgets in the past and I'm not a fan of the look.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
On my old Gingerbread phone I used Beautiful Widgets for weather and settings toggles, but now we have Google Now and the quick settings panel.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Karthe posted:

Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a string of bad phones instead of a new norm in Android devices? For starters, my last three daily-use Android phones have been a 2013 Moto X, an Xperia Z3C, and currently a OnePlus One.

I experienced zero touchscreen-related issues with the Moto X - swipes and taps were accurate, and I used Minuum (a pretty swipe-heavy keyboard app) on a daily basis. I had absolutely zero issues typing things out quickly and accurately, and swiping in various apps produced no aberrant behavior.

When I switched to the Xperia, I had to re-evaluate keyboards because, for some reason, the screen on the Xperia was gorgeous but was too sensitive. A short swipe directly on or too close to the screen (as when repositioning your fingers) resulted in Minuum (and Fleksy, and Swype) registering an actual swipe. This was even after jacking up the the length you had to swipe to register as a swipe. After some internet sleuthing it appeared this was ultimately related to some additional hardware on/in the screen that allowed the screen to function when its capacitive ability was turned off (so you could still take pictures underwater or use the phone with gloves on).

And then there's the OnePlus One. It's notorious for having a lovely touchscreen, most likely related to the firmware. Several OTAs later and nothing's really improved - I still get frequent ghost-tapping when I scroll too slowly. And going back to keyboard apps, most swipe-related apps are out of the question so I've settled on SwiftKey. It's not my first choice but it has solid tap-touch functionality that can't be hosed up by a touchscreen that loves to freak out when you swipe on it. I've made do but I really miss Minuum. :sigh:

Anyway I plan on getting a new phone to replace the OPO. I was waiting for the Priv reviews but they just came out last night and...well...now I'm preparing to pick up a 6P. I just want to know that the 6P will finally free me of quirky touchscreens that prevent me from using my favorite keyboard apps. :pray:

Sony phones have a high sensitivity touchscreen mode called Glove Mode, and with most Sony phones it's enabled by default. It's under Settings - Display

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Sony phones have a high sensitivity touchscreen mode called Glove Mode, and with most Sony phones it's enabled by default. It's under Settings - Display
Oh believe me, I tried everything I could, but even with that setting toggled off the screen was still way too sensitive. I wasn't the only one with the issue so I gave up and bought my friend's basically brand-new OPO for dirt cheap. That'll teach me :suicide:

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Busy Bee posted:

I've been using 500 Firepaper since it was mentioned several months ago:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.firepaper.fivehundredpx&hl=en_GB

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I have a moto x pure edition and I just bought a nexus 6p.

I don't know what I am doing any more.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nondescript Van posted:

As long as you made sure you were ok with the sizes with cardboard cutouts beforehand I don't really see the issue

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

the nicker posted:

you have to go into settings, backup & sync, and change upload size from "high quality" to "original"

Is the original of this particular video lost forever since I deleted the local copy?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

Nondescript Van posted:

That's a pretty big grip tape investment, but at least you won't have to buy an SD card for the 6P.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

BottleKnight posted:

That's a pretty big grip tape investment, but at least you won't have to buy an SD card for the 6P.

He's going to have to sell all his sd cards so that he can afford to replace all his charging cables.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Busy Bee posted:

Widgets: HD Widgets requires some time investment for fiddling, and they have some inconsistencies between their different style packs (not all of them are available at all size/type widgets), but I was able to get a look that I liked. It also has the option of adding permanent notification tray items for current temperature and battery level, which I like.

Wallpapers: If you like the Material design language, Tapet is great, and the IAP to unlock all the options is quite cheap ($3, I think?). I don't actually use most of them (because I like to find just a wallpaper I like and stick with it rather than have it generate and apply new ones automatically), but it was well worth it even so.

This isn't the "show off Android home screen" thread, so I'll just put my N6P (Nova Launcher, HD Widgets, Tapet wallpaper) home screen as a link.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

Karthe posted:

Can you guys assure me that I've just been experiencing a string of bad phones instead of a new norm in Android devices? For starters, my last three daily-use Android phones have been a 2013 Moto X, an Xperia Z3C, and currently a OnePlus One.

I experienced zero touchscreen-related issues with the Moto X - swipes and taps were accurate, and I used Minuum (a pretty swipe-heavy keyboard app) on a daily basis. I had absolutely zero issues typing things out quickly and accurately, and swiping in various apps produced no aberrant behavior.

When I switched to the Xperia, I had to re-evaluate keyboards because, for some reason, the screen on the Xperia was gorgeous but was too sensitive. A short swipe directly on or too close to the screen (as when repositioning your fingers) resulted in Minuum (and Fleksy, and Swype) registering an actual swipe. This was even after jacking up the the length you had to swipe to register as a swipe. After some internet sleuthing it appeared this was ultimately related to some additional hardware on/in the screen that allowed the screen to function when its capacitive ability was turned off (so you could still take pictures underwater or use the phone with gloves on).

And then there's the OnePlus One. It's notorious for having a lovely touchscreen, most likely related to the firmware. Several OTAs later and nothing's really improved - I still get frequent ghost-tapping when I scroll too slowly. And going back to keyboard apps, most swipe-related apps are out of the question so I've settled on SwiftKey. It's not my first choice but it has solid tap-touch functionality that can't be hosed up by a touchscreen that loves to freak out when you swipe on it. I've made do but I really miss Minuum. :sigh:

Anyway I plan on getting a new phone to replace the OPO. I was waiting for the Priv reviews but they just came out last night and...well...now I'm preparing to pick up a 6P. I just want to know that the 6P will finally free me of quirky touchscreens that prevent me from using my favorite keyboard apps. :pray:

The 6P is the best Android I've owned, and I've owned a lot of phones - Not hotsauce levels of phones, but still quite a few.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

beerinator posted:

He's going to have to sell all his sd cards so that he can afford to replace all his charging cables.

I could do that. I have a few 64GB laying around and a 128GB in it that could just as easily be a 16GB card since I don't really store a drat thing on it. If anybody wants a new moto x with a leather back, in a few weeks I'll probably be selling it in SA mart.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
The 6p is really goddamned nice. I am having the worst time deciding if I want to keep it over the 6 plus I have here.

They're the same size, have relatively comparable cameras (though i think the plus takes better shots slightly still), both seem to deliver a good experience. Both solid fingerprint sensors.

The plus pulls away in battery life, but the 6p screen is just excellent. I really can't decide. Was hoping it wouldn't be as good!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jul 20, 2018

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Shadowgate posted:

The 6P is the best Android I've owned, and I've owned a lot of phones - Not hotsauce levels of phones, but still quite a few.

The 6P has cured me of consumerism. True story. I'm in disbelief.

Get the 128 and stop crying about SD cards you cheapskates. Shift anger to sealed batteries (although the battery on the 6P is outstanding).

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Busy Bee posted:

I use Chronus for a time/temp/battery widget. I think it's what was included in CM previously. Also, the icon packs for it are pretty good.

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
So I my nexus 5x doesn't wanna seem to doze at all. I don't exactly know what I'm doing wrong since my nexus 5 has all the same apps that I do and that dozes fine.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
That's not a lack of Doze, that's a straight up wakelock problem. Some app is bugged out. If you installed anything different or new since it started happening that's a good place to start. Otherwise factory reset and slowly add apps maybe, I don't think there's a working wakelock detector anymore?

The Awake bar should match up almost exactly with Screen On unless you're doing something like listening to music/podcast/etc with the screen off, as your phone is obviously awake then.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hello IYG nerds,

I am switching ship to android and just bought a 6P. Question is, do you think we will see the stock camera with manual controls in an update later on? 6P sounds fine and all, but I don't like the idea of the camera making all the decisions for me, especially for exposure. How often does apps like the camera get updated?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
You're better off downloading another camera app, the google one is meant to be super simple and largely automated. If you want finer control, that's what third party apps are for.

That said for expose specifically, you can swipe in from the side (or bottom in landscape) and go to the cog wheel -> advanced -> manual exposure.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Hello IYG nerds,

I am switching ship to android and just bought a 6P. Question is, do you think we will see the stock camera with manual controls in an update later on? 6P sounds fine and all, but I don't like the idea of the camera making all the decisions for me, especially for exposure. How often does apps like the camera get updated?

Probably not, because that's not the Google way.

You probably want either Manual Camera ($3 US, use the Manual Camera demo app first) or Open Camera (free, useful for non-Camera2 devices, but less featureful than Manual Camera and Holo as all hell).

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

There's also FV-5, which folks in this thread have recommended in the past for taking pics in RAW format.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing?

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
I think the fingerprint reader on my 6p is terrible, and I wonder if it's because I play violin and have callouses. My left index finger barely even registers, it won't sense more than like 1 angle on it even though other fingers work better. In general it's super unreliable and I end up having to enter the password like 60% of the time, even using five different profiles to get every possible angle of my finger. Really disappointed after all the praise.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

berzerker posted:

I think the fingerprint reader on my 6p is terrible, and I wonder if it's because I play violin and have callouses. My left index finger barely even registers, it won't sense more than like 1 angle on it even though other fingers work better. In general it's super unreliable and I end up having to enter the password like 60% of the time, even using five different profiles to get every possible angle of my finger. Really disappointed after all the praise.

Yeah this isn't normal. Mine works first try about 98% of the time.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Fhqwhgads posted:

I finally got my 6p (two weeks faster than they said), and I love it in almost every way. The thing is too goddamned big! Yeah I know, my own fault. I have long fingers so I figured it would be OK, but I can't hold the phone with one hand and use my thumb to swype because I can't reach across the entire screen. That and the fact that because it's so big I never feel like I'm holding it safely means I should probably "downgrade" to a 5x. I bought this one with Fi on 0% financing, I wonder if they'll let me exchange for a 5x and continue the financing?

This seems counterintuitive, but I felt the same way until I got a case. I've never been a case guy, but I got the official (expensive) case and I really like it. I definitely don't feel like I'm going to fling it across the room by accident anymore.

There's really no question that this is a two handed phone though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grilldos
Mar 27, 2004

BUST A LOAF
IN THIS
YEAST CONFECTION
Grimey Drawer
Probably the calluses my friend.