Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think if they'd, like, halved the amount of XP required for the tier 1 and 2 Masteries things would be better. In general, those are the only ones (after a patch) that we need for the story.
Halve all of the XP needed for HoT masteries IMO.

The Tyria stuff doesn't seem to level up nearly as slowly but maybe that's because there is so much more to do. The only way to grind up those HoT masteries is doing those meta events over and over and over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Kenshin posted:

The only way to grind up those HoT masteries is doing those meta events over and over and over again.

Or farm spiders if you hate yourself.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Yea, I wouldn't care about the grindy nature of masteries if they didn't gate the story arbitrarily. I mean, it's done now and I'll never have to re-do them on alts, but first time around it's a little jarring to have the momentum of the plot killed by "go get 1 mil xp to continue" sort of stuff.

The time that this was most jarring for me was needing Exalted Markings to do the Tarir story quest. All I could think was, "How did my character learn this? How did he know he'd need that for the next quest? Why couldn't that quest have given me Exalted Markings because the Exalted are teaching me about their history?" It was just so weird.

The tier-1 masteries could've easily been worked into the story quests they require, or the one right before they're required. Have Canach give you your glider when you finish the first HoT story quest. Have the Itzel teach you how to bounce on mushrooms, because you'll need it for the next quest. Have the Exalted teach you Exalted Markings when you first go to Tarir in the story. It'd make more sense, I think. Even if they still made you get XP to unlock things like Updraft Use, that at least makes a little more sense (you're more experienced at gliding, or something) and is less jarring.

Kenshin posted:

Halve all of the XP needed for HoT masteries IMO.

The Tyria stuff doesn't seem to level up nearly as slowly but maybe that's because there is so much more to do. The only way to grind up those HoT masteries is doing those meta events over and over and over again.

I don't disagree, but I also kind of understand them wanting the high-level masteries to be truly long-term progression. The kind of thing where you'll have an actual new Thing To Do to look forward to in a month (unless you're a mega-grinder I suppose). I wouldn't at all be upset if they decreased the required XP, but as long as the story-required ones are more accessible, I think it's... not okay, but I can live with it how it is now.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Trogdos! posted:

Five hundo gems.

Please tell me those are a combo backpack and glider skin...

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Trogdos! posted:

Five hundo gems.

Why do we have wings but no badass capes or cloaks?

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall
The reason I hear is clipping issues, but looking at existing weapons and armor that hasn't been a concern in the past.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lemon King posted:

Why do we have wings but no badass capes or cloaks?

~clipping~

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So they nerfed dungeon rewards and now nobody does them, that's not hilarious sadly, can't say I ever saw the issue with them, it was good money and exp, really good to level alts as well.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Generic Octopus posted:

Yea, I wouldn't care about the grindy nature of masteries if they didn't gate the story arbitrarily. I mean, it's done now and I'll never have to re-do them on alts, but first time around it's a little jarring to have the momentum of the plot killed by "go get 1 mil xp to continue" sort of stuff.

Until they release some new areas where you can't glide, can't talk to any of the natives or have access to their strange transportation methods, so you'll have to grind from zero again.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Please tell me those are a combo backpack and glider skin...

They are not.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Alteisen posted:

So they nerfed dungeon rewards and now nobody does them

Working as intended.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Alteisen posted:

So they nerfed dungeon rewards and now nobody does them, that's not hilarious sadly, can't say I ever saw the issue with them, it was good money and exp, really good to level alts as well.

We ran a bunch last night and the night before :shrug: They're still fun with friends regardless of the nerfed rewards.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
It's all about adventures now.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I reinstalled the game after not playing since Fractals first came out. Apparently obsessively tracking down every Skill Point when I last played served me well because I was able to get about halfway into the Chronomancer track as soon as I started up again. I feel like I'm playing the class to its full potential, though. Are there any quick tips to being good at Mesmer/Chronomancer?

I also started a Necro to help readjust myself to some of the changed game mechanics slowly, and I feel like I'm having more fun with that than with my Mesmer, but I wanted to also get a few of these key navigational masteries out of the way before I decide on which class I want to stick with.

Mostly I've been having fun getting lost in the new zones, or picking a particular mastery/hero point on the map and trying to find my way to it with just the glider.

Also even though I haven't played in years when I logged into my Mesmer I had three birthday messages waiting for me with tickets that'll boost other characters to level 20/30, and a few other doodads. How nice of them.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

It's all about adventures now.

I want to do more of these but can never find them nor remember easy ways to get to them :(

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

Visidan posted:

That Carbine/Wildstar thing is something I posted and was complete bollocks. The grindy stuff anet has put in the game will get iterated on as it always has.

Speaking of complete bollocks, The Floor Is lava?

This was by far the hardest thing I've ever done in the gw2. Interacting with 50 objects within 2 minutes with a 250ms ping, half of which send you into the air was fun!

Oh excellent. Your ping is similar to mine so there is hope for me yet! Unless you're some freakish GW2 savant.

edit: vvv oh.

Axialbloom fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 6, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Axialbloom posted:

Unless you're some freakish GW2 savant.

Well...

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I get 150-200ms ping from m the uk and it's never bothered me

Axialbloom
Jul 7, 2011

My life is a series of
lapses in judgement.

tarbrush posted:

I get 150-200ms ping from m the uk and it's never bothered me

I ping between 200-300ms in NZ and have to say GW2 plays remarkably well. Barring the once in a blue moon "I swear I dodged that Tequatl wave" I've never really felt hamstrung by my connection speed. It's just that sometimes interacting with select objects, like jump pads, has a tendency to be a little more finicky. Or I just suck at clicking on things.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Trogdos! posted:

Five hundo gems.

Finally my engi will be complete

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Does every single new zone have its variation on treasure boxes and keys with which to open them? I mean, I guess that would be fine if each one didn't have to take up yet another bag slot. Can't really see the gameplay reasoning behind it though.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Done with my Revenant. Mistward chest/glove/leg/boots, Herald's shoulder and Primeval head. Weapon is Lightward's Battlestaff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

BobTheJanitor posted:

Does every single new zone have its variation on treasure boxes and keys with which to open them? I mean, I guess that would be fine if each one didn't have to take up yet another bag slot. Can't really see the gameplay reasoning behind it though.

I believe they do, Dragon's Stand included. I recall Colin replying to a Reddit post saying that they're looking at making more things currencies/materials that should've been in the first place, so hopefully those various keys can fall into that category too.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

BobTheJanitor posted:

The reasoning is so you don't farm the early zone for the last zone rewards, i have hundreds of crowbars and like 2 chak acids. Plenty of machetes though, but that's cause i never find where to use them.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Aesis posted:

Done with my Revenant. Mistward chest/glove/leg/boots, Herald's shoulder and Primeval head. Weapon is Lightward's Battlestaff.

Nice staff representing brother. :hfive:

I'm looking forward to when I stop being lazy and get my revenant up to 80 and get the mistward stuff because it's just really nice looking armor.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Aesis posted:

Love that staff. The Lightward's Hammer is awesome, too. I like a lot of the map-specific weapon skin drops, actually. Ley Guard's Revolver and Protector are neat and I want them for my Chronomancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, I don't think ArenaNet will be breaking off from NCSoft any time soon. Apparently NCSoft is making a late-to-the-party MOBA and Rytlock is in it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Harrow posted:

So, I don't think ArenaNet will be breaking off from NCSoft any time soon. Apparently NCSoft is making a late-to-the-party MOBA and Rytlock is in it.

Lmao dota rules

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lmao dota rules

Actually sir, it drools.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

malhavok posted:

The reasoning is so you don't farm the early zone for the last zone rewards, i have hundreds of crowbars and like 2 chak acids. Plenty of machetes though, but that's cause i never find where to use them.

There are several areas in Dragon's Stand where you can find them, including a few patches where there are 5 or 6. They're still exceedingly rare compared to the others.

I'll try to make a map if I do DS tonight and maybe we can have a goon project to fill out the spots. I don't think they're random tbh.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 6, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CLAM DOWN posted:

We ran a bunch last night and the night before :shrug: They're still fun with friends regardless of the nerfed rewards.

That's fine, I just mean they where a good source of gold and alt exp, I don't really care either way but generally pubs will just straight up drop something if they're not getting anything out of it.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Which is exactly why ANet dropped the XP and gold reward from them. That was the point.

I'm hoping they'll revamp in and return the gold rewards at some point in the future. Having fewer people running dungeons means they don't have to deal with as much whining, I expect.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

malhavok posted:

Noxious pods for machetes mostly show up when you beat the dragon stand meta event. There are a lot of them in areas that were closed off before the event and there are big arrows pointing to them on completion.

The game won't let you taxi into completed maps though so either have at least an hour to spare or get lucky entering a late-stage map that will almost always be full anyway. Pray you don't crash in the last few minutes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Solumin posted:

Which is exactly why ANet dropped the XP and gold reward from them. That was the point.

I'm hoping they'll revamp in and return the gold rewards at some point in the future. Having fewer people running dungeons means they don't have to deal with as much whining, I expect.

I think they just wanted people out of dungeons because they never want to have to think about dungeons again.

Now, if they had some kind of new 5-person content to replace them that'd be... oh, Fractals? You mean the mini-dungeons that haven't gotten any new content in like a year and a half at least?

I really want more 5-person PvE stuff, ArenaNet. Give us, like, "Scenarios" or something that reuse open world areas with neat encounters and bosses and feature gliding and mushroom bouncing. Also more Fractals.

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

Harrow posted:

Part of me had always hoped in the chinese release of gw2 Rytlock would still be voiced by Steve Blum who learned his lines phonetically

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

and with the release of the dragonfly wings my outfit is ready

ready to rule the princess skies

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.
HoT $37 :911: Bux.
Official 3rd party seller
http://funstockdigital.co.uk/guild-wars-2:-heart-of-thorns%E2%84%A2-pc-game-download

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

and with the release of the dragonfly wings my outfit is ready

ready to rule the princess skies

You are a beautiful flying insect thing! :3:

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Someone asked me to post my boonripper build soooo here it is! I get around 80 in stronghold, and WAY more in conquest. I got 319 my last round :toot:

I'm tempted to swap bitter chill (spite 1,3) for Spiteful tasisman (spite 1,1) As well as swapping out curses for soul reaping, but this setup has been working for me so far. I would use a sinister amulet but im broke as gently caress :shrug:

E: also grenth runes

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Nov 6, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Are you absolutely sure that you want to pass up both Signets of Suffering and Path of Corruption in what is said to be a boon removing build?

• Locked thread