Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Didn't the lead dev whine like a week ago that it wasn't going to make it because of some stupid reason even when it had over 20 days left or something. Really stupid of him if true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Didn't the lead dev whine like a week ago that it wasn't going to make it because of some stupid reason even when it had over 20 days left or something. Really stupid of him if true.

? They're at 640k/1.5m with 10 days left

http://crowdcharts.com/campaign/indivisible-an-rpg-by-lab-zero-and-505-games

projection of ~800k.

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Nov 5, 2015

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
They might be able to extend the deadline if they hit some arbitrary percentage. They released that demo and it was pretty cool. And I like that they were totally straight-forward about their plan and made a very realistic timeline for development.

It actually really blows how well they put the project plan together but still probably won't hit the deadline. After how much effort they put into this plan, I have a hard time imagining them reducing scope and coming back with a second plan.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bloodychill posted:

They might be able to extend the deadline if they hit some arbitrary percentage. They released that demo and it was pretty cool. And I like that they were totally straight-forward about their plan and made a very realistic timeline for development.

It actually really blows how well they put the project plan together but still probably won't hit the deadline. After how much effort they put into this plan, I have a hard time imagining them reducing scope and coming back with a second plan.

They did an AMA on reddit basically saying if this doesn't pass they're gonna go "cold" for a while.

quote:

We have some interest for other projects, but we'll likely have to go dormant for a bit if we pursue that. Dealmaking takes time, and the industry pretty much shuts down after Thanksgiving.
People will likely have to take on some kind of work to survive during that downtime, which risks them not being around if we do sign something else, too.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

Calibretto from Battle Chasers

So I guess Joe Mad is actually working on a real Battle Chasers game? I haven't heard about that in like 15 years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It's so frustrating Indivisible didn't go with Kickstarter because they would've hit their goal easy.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So I guess Joe Mad is actually working on a real Battle Chasers game? I haven't heard about that in like 15 years

Did you somehow miss this? The coming and the game are being made.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Getsuya posted:

I really want to get in to first-person dungeon crawlers. The old ones. I've poked at them a few times but never really sat down to play through one since I was a kid playing through Eye of the Beholder (which I loved to death). Between the offerings at both GOG and Steam what would be the best ones to start out with? I'm looking at the old-timey ones, so not stuff like Legend of Grimrock (which I have played and really enjoyed as well).

One thing that's important though is that I don't have much time per session to play these. I would be sitting down for maybe 30 minutes to an hour per day. I'd like a game that would be rewarding even in small chunks like that.

I was thinking of picking up Elminage Gothic since it's only $3, or Wizardry 6+7 since they're going for $5 for the pair but even at the low prices I didn't want to pick up games I might never get around to playing, so I wanted to get some opinions about the genre first before rushing in. Currently I own Might and Magic 1-6 and Bard's Tale 1-3 (they were the only reason I bought the new Bard's Tale, since it comes with the original ones).

Oh and Shining in the Darkness.

V At the moment I only have a PC for playing things on.

If you wanna play old ones go do M&M4+5, they combine to be one big game and it's cool poo poo yo

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

al-azad posted:

It's so frustrating Indivisible didn't go with Kickstarter because they would've hit their goal easy.

Did you somehow miss this? The coming and the game are being made.

I wonder if they are open to relaunching on Kickstarter?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I wonder if they are open to relaunching on Kickstarter?

They said that if this fails the project is dead.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Neptunia Rebirth was re-re-released on PC through Good Old Gaming with the usual 50% discount. They added Dengeki Playstation content and an "Allowance" DLC. Both aren't even in the Vita or Steam versions.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ImpAtom posted:

They said that if this fails the project is dead.

Correct. The deal they got from Team 505 was a miracle to begin with, and kickstarter takes a significant enough cut that it wouldn't really make a difference. The interest just isn't there/their project's been sabotaged by a year of kickstarters being interest gauges that had backers anyway.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd agree that Might and Magic 4 and 5 (World of Xeen) holds up the best of any of the old first person rpgs and is arguably one of the best anyway. You can really dive in without having to wrap your head around any weird old concepts and the graphics still look pretty good. I adore Wizardry 7 but jumping in there or 6 requires a lot more reading on party composition stuff and taking notes to not just end up getting stomped and lost.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

How many quests in Suikoden 2 are on a time limit? Is it just Clive's quest?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Just Clive's quest. I can't imagine being able to do it without the Matilda gate glitch, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

How many quests in Suikoden 2 are on a time limit? Is it just Clive's quest?

Clive's quest is the one on a real time limit. There are quests in-game that become inaccessible beyond certain points but Clive's is the only one you gotta speedrun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

Just Clive's quest. I can't imagine being able to do it without the Matilda gate glitch, though.

ImpAtom posted:

Clive's quest is the one on a real time limit. There are quests in-game that become inaccessible beyond certain points but Clive's is the only one you gotta speedrun.

Alright cool, gonna do Clive's quest on another playthrough. Don't want spend my first one worrying about the game timer.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Any good DS RPGs come out this year? Seems like legend of legacy is mediocre from the reviews I've read and the only DS game I bought this year was Etrian Mystery Dungeon, which was really, really bleh for me.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Puzzle and Dragons:Mario Edition was pretty alright.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 Record Breaker if you haven't played the original. Yokai watch is the only other notable 3ds game in general coming out.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Is Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon still coming out this year? It's looking like a return to form after Gates to Infinity.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Is Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon still coming out this year? It's looking like a return to form after Gates to Infinity.

The 20th.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
There's that Stella SRPG thing but I've not heard much about it.
EDIT: Oh wait apparently it's ImageEpoch's last game before their CEO skedaddled. Seems kinda Luminous Arc like?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I haven't heard any recent news about it, but it's up for pre-loading on the 3DS eshop today, so I guess it's still on track for release.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

FuzzySlippers posted:

I'd agree that Might and Magic 4 and 5 (World of Xeen) holds up the best of any of the old first person rpgs and is arguably one of the best anyway. You can really dive in without having to wrap your head around any weird old concepts and the graphics still look pretty good. I adore Wizardry 7 but jumping in there or 6 requires a lot more reading on party composition stuff and taking notes to not just end up getting stomped and lost.

While I think MM4 and 5 are still really good, the UI is absolute balls in comparison to what we would expect nowadays. Still not the worst, but drat if that thing couldn't use some more refinement. Even something like equipment comparison would have helped a lot.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

HGH posted:

There's that Stella SRPG thing but I've not heard much about it.
EDIT: Oh wait apparently it's ImageEpoch's last game before their CEO skedaddled. Seems kinda Luminous Arc like?
There's a demo out for Stella Glow so you can see if you like it. It really is just Luminous Arc trying really hard to be Ar Tonelico though.

Personally, I thought it looked good but not $50 Atlus Tax good, so I'm waiting on impressions. It really was painfully stuffed full of the most boring of anime tropes in the demo though, complete with the main character screaming I NEED POWER TO PROTECT MY LOVED ONES!!! so ymmv.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I really enjoyed Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold outside of the very final post game boss. Don't play it on expert though tbqh unless you want the challenge.

I think that and Devil Survivor 2 RB were my two rpgs for DS that I spent the most time with this year. Aside from that it's been a Monster Hunter machine.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

corn in the bible posted:

If you wanna play old ones go do M&M4+5, they combine to be one big game and it's cool poo poo yo

I'm starting with 3 actually but yeah I think I'll be playing through the Might and Magics first, as they seem to be the easiest ones to get into without needing to do a bunch of party/build trial and error.

Also I don't have any graph paper yet so a game that auto-maps is really necessary at this point.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
is Gothic 2 worthy of my 2.75 on steam and is it as eurojank as i imagine it is?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Tae posted:

Indivisible, the soon-to-be greatest let down in crowd-funding failure, put out their latest update on the project

http://www.polygon.com/2015/11/3/9666784/lab-zero-indivisible-shovel-knight-super-time-force-guest-characters

I fail to see why this is a newsworthy selling point. At best this ought to be a sidebar in a larger piece.

right clickbait got it I know

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

is Gothic 2 worthy of my 2.75 on steam and is it as eurojank as i imagine it is?

its one if the best rpgs ever made

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

yes and yes, get it immediately

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
the deed is done and soon i will fumble my way into strange germanic death

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Million Ghosts posted:

the deed is done and soon i will fumble my way into strange germanic death
I still can't get over the fact that Gothic 2 takes away all of your stuff and skills after 1. I had magic armour! I had enough beer, meat and weed for a year! No, a tiny cave in made the hero weak as a baby.

Animals go for a kill and their attacks can't be parried, people usually simply knock you down and steal your poo poo. You should do the same, murder of named NPCs comes with consequences.
If you find yourself knocked out in a couple of hits by most guys with basic swords it's because weapon skills determine the odds of adding all of character's strength points to the attack power of their weapon. And the speed of attacks. And the recovery time between them...

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ignore animals in groups because they usually won't aggro you and they will loving kill you

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

SelenicMartian posted:

I still can't get over the fact that Gothic 2 takes away all of your stuff and skills after 1. I had magic armour! I had enough beer, meat and weed for a year! No, a tiny cave in made the hero weak as a baby.

In the no-longer-canon Gothic 3 the Hero gets his poo poo stolen again. In the completely-disregarded Gothic 4 the Hero becomes a bad guy after losing everything so many times and no one cuts him slack. Samus-Aran syndrome is the reason most RPG series have a new hero in every installment.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

In the no-longer-canon Gothic 3 the Hero gets his poo poo stolen again. In the completely-disregarded Gothic 4 the Hero becomes a bad guy after losing everything so many times and no one cuts him slack. Samus-Aran syndrome is the reason most RPG series have a new hero in every installment.

one thing i appreciated about dbz: buu's fury was that in the previous game in the series, the level cap was 50, so every character in the game starts a bit over 50 and continues going upwards, with stats to match

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

alcharagia posted:

one thing i appreciated about dbz: buu's fury was that in the previous game in the series, the level cap was 50, so every character in the game starts a bit over 50 and continues going upwards, with stats to match

Trails SC is kinda cool about this too. Everybody starts with levels, weapons, and armor around what you'd have at the end of FC, as well as all the crafts from that game. You lose all your quartz, but you'll quickly start rebuilding your stock on top of a bunch of arts becoming much more potent (the basic healing spell is boosted from 200HP restoration to 1000HP, for example). If you carry over your save data, you even have your Junior Bracer Book in your inventory with all your completed/failed FC requests recorded.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have opinions on Risen (probably just the first, unless the others are actually good despite being panned a bit)?

I read a review that said it's "the closest thing to Morrowind" since, well, Morrowind, and that the worldbuilding is incredible, but that it was pretty uneven. I can put up with awkward combat as long as the story/exploring etc. is good.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

foutre posted:

Does anyone have opinions on Risen (probably just the first, unless the others are actually good despite being panned a bit)?

I read a review that said it's "the closest thing to Morrowind" since, well, Morrowind, and that the worldbuilding is incredible, but that it was pretty uneven. I can put up with awkward combat as long as the story/exploring etc. is good.

If you liked Gothic 2 at all, you'll like Risen.
If you hated the Gothic series, avoid Risen.
Everybody should avoid Risen 2&3 (and Gothic 3*) unless you kinda dig bad games, like me.
(If you've never played Gothic, it's sort of a proto-Dark Souls with a stronger emphasis on reloading.)

*Arcania/Gothic 4 is too bad for everybody

Edit: I notice Risen is $2 on GoG right this second. That's a stupid dumb price to be asking if it's good or not.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Risen 1 is cool but the endgame is kind of a slog. It's a good idea to stop when you get the quests to gather the endgame weapon and armor and just YouTube the final boss.