Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zaphod42 posted:

Holy poo poo Chomp we agree on something else!

:eyepop:

Anno: The Friend Zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Murgos posted:

I've played older games in this series but not 2070 and this thread has me itching to play. Should I get this game or Anno 2070 complete pack for 29.99? Or wait for the next steam sale and get 2070 for 10 bux?

It's worth noting that 2070 is not as good as 1404 (though it is still a good game). If you aren't too concerned with graphics, I would play that if you haven't already. In fact, 1404 still holds up graphically, I think. 1701 is even better than that, but the graphics really start to become clearly inferior at that point.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

bonds0097 posted:

Seems to fluctuate based on global player supply/demand. An actual cool use of UPlay actually.

Though with stuff being unbalanced atm, that's problematic. I'm sure prices will stabilize before too long but by that point a lot of people will have 'beaten' the game unless they give us a compelling reason to revisit and maintain your stuff.
Is it based on the surplus of other players, the stuff they sell or just what they make and how much? But I suspect no one knows that much detail yet.

Doesn't it always become a horrible unbalanced mess whenever someone applies free market between players? Wasn't simcity2013 supposed to have it but it was removed (might have been because they couldn't get it to work)? Or you end up with a mmo auction house where raw materials sell for several times the price of the crafted items?

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

It's worth noting that 2070 is not as good as 1404 (though it is still a good game). If you aren't too concerned with graphics, I would play that if you haven't already. In fact, 1404 still holds up graphically, I think. 1701 is even better than that, but the graphics really start to become clearly inferior at that point.

Yeah well, you know... that's just like, your opinion, man. I actually prefer 2070.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Poil posted:

Doesn't it always become a horrible unbalanced mess whenever someone applies free market between players? Wasn't simcity2013 supposed to have it but it was removed (might have been because they couldn't get it to work)? Or you end up with a mmo auction house where raw materials sell for several times the price of the crafted items?

SimCity 2013 was supposed to have a dynamic market where prices went up and down based on players buying and selling. However it did not work for months after launch at the least, if it in fact ever worked at any point in time. The prices just remained static and one particular item (microprocessors) sold for lol cash and became a money fountain because with the system not working the price never fell.

I don't know if they ever fixed the system but even if they did it was long after anyone gave a poo poo anymore.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Poil posted:

Is it based on the surplus of other players, the stuff they sell or just what they make and how much? But I suspect no one knows that much detail yet.

As far as I can tell, if people sell more of something than they buy on the world market, prices go down. And the reverse.

When the game was first released, there were plenty of obvious price abnormalities, like metal foam being really expensive, and raw materials being more expensive than the things they make (even factoring in the input/output ratio of factories). I think it has stabilized pretty well so far, though? The last time I checked there wasn't any glaring oddities in the pricing, except the generally depressed prices for everything because the majority of players see that a given import route would cost them 10K credits and go "OH GOD NO" when they're spending 25K producing the same stuff themselves.

Also, as a counter example to supply and demand not working in games, I'm pretty sure that's what EVE uses and they've been trucking along for a while now. Mind you, the player base for that game is probably even more obsessive than the Anno one, and a lot of the players/corporations have accounting mechanisms that rival those of actual real world corporations, so it might be in a category of its own.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Interesting, thanks guys. :)

EVE is really strange, it seems to be a special hell for spergs only they're not dead.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

SuicideSnowman posted:

Yeah well, you know... that's just like, your opinion, man. I actually prefer 2070.

Well, yeah, in as much as anything is opinion based.

Worth noting that overall Anno 1404 received much better user reviews in both Steam (90%+ pos reviews versus 63% pos reviews) and Metacritic. The Anno community in general consider 1404 to be quite a large step up in quality, gameplay wise. I'll concede 2070 wins when it comes to graphics, though.

Want to say, I do like 2070, though. It's just very much not as good as 1404.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Funso Banjo posted:

Well, yeah, in as much as anything is opinion based.

Worth noting that overall Anno 1404 received much better user reviews in both Steam (90%+ pos reviews versus 63% pos reviews) and Metacritic. The Anno community in general consider 1404 to be quite a large step up in quality, gameplay wise. I'll concede 2070 wins when it comes to graphics, though.

Want to say, I do like 2070, though. It's just very much not as good as 1404.

Your data is severely skewed by the backlash against uPlay in 2070 which is not relevant to anyone jumping into the game now unless they're hardcore anti-DRM.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I actually think 2070 is the better game in terms of pure gameplay, and the amazing charm of 1404 makes it look better (though it is close and 1404 has less raw power behind it).

I love both though, and play both regularly.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

1404 and 2070 are choices of styles. If you want a really good Renaissance/Crusades era game for Anno, 1404 is just god damned great. If you want a Sci-Fi approach with underwater cities, 2070 is fantastic.

I think 2205 will be better than either 1404 or 2070 in a few DLC and expansion packs, but for now I would say hold off unless you've played the previously mentioned entries to death.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Welp, "won" the game with 1M pop on expert with all sector projects done. At level 100 you get 10 world market trade routes, which allows you to import almost all of the 12 consumption items. Importing everything except food, water juice and rejuvenators, you could probably squeeze 2M on the 3 temperate maps. Importing those 4 won't really work since you need way more than 500 units that a trade route can carry. I've occasionally seen "+10 import" as level-up reward but couldn't figure out what that's supposed to mean, my routes still cap out at 500.

There's still space left on the eastern island and the bottom half is production which I could move to another sector. Unfortunately my Viridian Coves map now takes almost a minute to load on SSD and crashes rather frequently so I guess I'm done until the DLC hits. I can't recall when the 2070 DLCs came out, were they released quickly?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
How long did all that take you? :staredog:

Bunmo
Jul 9, 2009

Grape
Soda
Banked
This videojames looks wery good. I would love to add it to my hideous pile. 2205 are my Holy Numbers as well. :corsair:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Funso Banjo posted:

Yeah I agree, In a lot of ways I still think 1404 is the best Anno, its got great graphics and the systems work really well.

But the future tech of 2070 and 2205 are both pretty dang cool. And if you burn out on 1404 they offer good variety.

But if anybody hasn't played 1404 go do that for sure.

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

2070's research and the ability to build aircraft makes it my favorite - I just can't get enough of having an airport and watching the finished aircraft rise up out of the landing pad.

Jesus H. Christ the Moon is expensive.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Basically every Anno game since 1404 has its own niche. 1404 is medieval classic gameplay with graphics that still hold up. 2070 is future tech with better graphics and better interface. Now 2205 offers a vastly improved interface and graphics, streamlined gameplay and vastly different regions. Replayability definitely takes a hit, there's no random generation and no way to set up a custom game with your own objectives as far as I can tell but it's still Anno and it's still a lot of fun.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
My main problem with 1404 is that land combat is absolutely terrible. Everything else about 1404 is great, but I prefer 2070 just because it reduces combat to the more bearable ship fights.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

My Anno seems to force my monitor into a sleep mode I can't switch off after a few hours of gameplay. :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Flipswitch posted:

My Anno seems to force my monitor into a sleep mode I can't switch off after a few hours of gameplay. :(

Jeez I know these games can be a little "hands off" sometimes but this is ridiculous!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

AbDomen posted:

My main problem with 1404 is that land combat is absolutely terrible. Everything else about 1404 is great, but I prefer 2070 just because it reduces combat to the more bearable ship fights.

When was combat in Anno anything but terrible?

Trying to do Anno with better combat just gives you The Settlers which isn't as good.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

AbDomen posted:

I forgot about this, 1404 has awful combat, 2070 has somewhat better combat, and 2205 ditches the whole thing and makes it optional. But it's still bad.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Is there anywhere to get this cheap now? The GMG deal isn't available anymore (and it's out of stock)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

When was combat in Anno anything but terrible?
Sea battles have been pretty decent overall I think. Not amazing but they have worked. Land combat was ok in 1602 when it handled like a slightly clumsy rts of its time.

quote:

Trying to do Anno with better combat just gives you The Settlers which isn't as good.
:catstare:
How dare you?!

PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

Unless I'm mistaken, land combat hasn't been attempted since 1602. God drat, but I'm nostalgic for that game now. It had by far the nicest music of them all.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

1404 and 2070 are choices of styles. If you want a really good Renaissance/Crusades era game for Anno, 1404 is just god damned great. If you want a Sci-Fi approach with underwater cities, 2070 is fantastic.
Yeah, the mechanics of both are pretty much the same. You can't go wrong with both. I prefer 1404, but I still play both.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I suspect the answer is going to be "no", but on the off chance... is there a way to turn off the constant conflict zone nagging? I just want to build cities without Passive-Aggressive Jorgenson reminding me that it's super not a big deal but could I go kill some ships that are gonna respawn anyway tia.

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Bhodi posted:

How long did all that take you? :staredog:

About 20 hours, the profile says 26 but I left the game running a bunch of times for money and to complete timed sector project objectives.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Jeez I know these games can be a little "hands off" sometimes but this is ridiculous!
Turning anti aliasing off seemed to fix it though, my card is starting to age but damnit if I'm not gonna sleep playing this game neither can my computer!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Poil posted:

:catstare:
How dare you?!

Hahaha, just having a laugh. Settlers games are really fun and probably appeal to the same crowd as Anno so everybody here should check out a few of them (series has made more radical changes from game to game than Anno also) but I've generally preferred Anno.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Just a heads up if you missed the GMG deal you can buy from Nuuvem (with a Brazil VPN) for the same price. I got the gold version for just over $40. The regular version was $34.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
So, anyone got some advice which temperate/arctic/moon sectors to choose first?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I just picked the ones that sounded coolest from the little descriptions tbh, eventually you'll afford them all.

I picked the huge gently caress off crater one for the moon and I've basically just expanded around the edge trying to nab all the mine sites, so maybe not that one?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

PiCroft posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, land combat hasn't been attempted since 1602. God drat, but I'm nostalgic for that game now. It had by far the nicest music of them all.
You could hire rts-like soldiers in 1503 and 1701 too, but they were less responsive and more wonky if I remember correctly.

Zaphod42 posted:

Hahaha, just having a laugh. Settlers games are really fun and probably appeal to the same crowd as Anno so everybody here should check out a few of them (series has made more radical changes from game to game than Anno also) but I've generally preferred Anno.
As long as they check out the correct Settlers games of course. :v:

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

I played probably 150 hours of 1404, but I never actually figured out how the land combat worked so I just bought people out.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

That's the best option. Land combat is a bit of a mess and takes far longer than waiting for the cash to roll in and the seat cooldown. Frankly I'm not sure it's even any cheaper.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Fuuuuuuck, the letter limit for your corporation name is one too short for Omni Consumer Products. :saddowns:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Magni posted:

Fuuuuuuck, the letter limit for your corporation name is one too short for Omni Consumer Products. :saddowns:

Guess that means American Reclamation Corporation is out, too. Wayne Enterprises, should, though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
gently caress it, I'll just use OCP without the spaces between words. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems?

• Locked thread