Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

M.Ciaster posted:

So my old potato of a laptop finally died and I'm stuck with just my phone until I get paid. Anyone know of any good free ways to play classic games on Android, fps or otherwise? I miss Doom

Beloko's Doom port is pretty decent and has both GZDoom and Chocolate Doom built-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Thyrork posted:

E: Oh right, new pc, lost all my old IRC's. Terminus could you link the details here? Gonna need it when the time finally comes to write up Sun's part of the manual.

irc.zandronum.com
#anakeion

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Segmentation Fault posted:

Beloko's Doom port is pretty decent and has both GZDoom and Chocolate Doom built-in.

It's also got PRBoom on there as well! It's not quite free, but it's two bucks well spent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah for Doom on Android, this is your best bet. (It's not on Google Play.)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

That was awesome

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah for Doom on Android, this is your best bet. (It's not on Google Play.)

Why did the app end up getting pulled from Google Play, anyway?

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Awesome Welles posted:

Why did the app end up getting pulled from Google Play, anyway?

Nobody's really sure. Beloko got dinged before on their Jedi Knight 2 ports allegedly because of a copyright conflict with the icon, but nobody knows for sure why Beloko's entire account got pulled. It's worth noting that if you have an NVIDIA Shield or compatible device, you can buy Doom 3: BFG Edition from the Play Store.

If I had the talent and motivation I'd make my own classic-style mobile FPS, I feel like every mobile FPS gets it wrong.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

NuclearPotato posted:

It's also got PRBoom on there as well! It's not quite free, but it's two bucks well spent.

Yeah but I have, like, literally no money right now :v:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Heavy Metal posted:

Hard Target. It's no TimeCop, but it is John Woo's first American movie, so that's something. Fairly watchable flick.

Should have known it was a John Woo flick when Van Damme slid under the table shooting guns like that.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Wow, this owns. Thanks :)

RyokoTK posted:

Should have known it was a John Woo flick when Van Damme slid under the table shooting guns like that.

Also there was a dove flying as the hero was doing an action move. Another of his signatures. I think it was even worked into the Stranglehold game during one of Tequila's special attacks.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wamdoodle posted:

Wow, this owns. Thanks :)

Also there was a dove flying as the hero was doing an action move. Another of his signatures. I think it was even worked into the Stranglehold game during one of Tequila's special attacks.

The other signature flick is that shotguns for some reason use anti-air ammunition but that is hardly a thing to complain, also the quantum magazine berettas.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Guillermus posted:

The other signature flick is that shotguns for some reason use anti-air ammunition but that is hardly a thing to complain, also the quantum magazine berettas.

Yeah they're ridiculous. All videogame shotguns should act like the ones in John Woo movies.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Wamdoodle posted:

Yeah, Tequila has an ultimate power that kills everyone in the room as he spins around firing his weapon while doves fly around.

John Woo's Stranglehold is some fun poo poo and pretty underrated in my opinion, if only because you can belly flop onto carts and slide around like that.

Gehenomm
May 1, 2008

Ask me about hitting on mathematicians.

M.Ciaster posted:

Yeah but I have, like, literally no money right now :v:

Retroarch has a Prboom core, just make sure that you have prboom.wad in the same folder as your doom\doom2 wad and you are good to go. No music though...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Stranglehold was definitely a solid B+ game. A good goofy mix of Max Payne and Dead to Rights.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

It was a game that also had enjoyable multiplayer, I owned it on my 360 and the museum level, with people running up the T-Rex's spine and sliding around on carts was amazing. I never found the PC version sadly.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Stranglehold was definitely a solid B+ game. A good goofy mix of Max Payne and Dead to Rights.

Yeah. I wish GOG would do a rerelease of it, since last I tried it was hard to get it to work well on Win7+ and you can't get it digitally anywhere.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah. I wish GOG would do a rerelease of it, since last I tried it was hard to get it to work well on Win7+ and you can't get it digitally anywhere.
Really? I didn't run into any issues when I played it.

Guillermus posted:

It was a game that also had enjoyable multiplayer, I owned it on my 360 and the museum level, with people running up the T-Rex's spine and sliding around on carts was amazing. I never found the PC version sadly.
I got the PC version as a bundle with a video card. As far as I know that's the only way to get the PC version.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I got my PC version as a budget re-release, years after the fact.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Doom and Doom II are confirmed for the Xbox One's backwards compatibility system later this week, making the Xbox One the first current gen system with an official version of Doom (the Wii U can be hacked to play old original Wii homebrew Doom ports though).

Edit: Also, Wolfenstein 3D will be available the same day. No word on Duke Nukem 3D but it's probably being held up due to licensing.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Nov 9, 2015

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
According to this story about Night Dive Studios, they're working on a full, proper remake (as opposed to the updated version they recently put out) of the original System Shock. What a weird time to be alive.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Kins posted:

According to this story about Night Dive Studios, they're working on a full, proper remake (as opposed to the updated version they recently put out) of the original System Shock. What a weird time to be alive.

If it doesn't look like a SS2 mod there's no point.

No Dark Engine, no sale. :colbert:

Anyway, cool as that is, do saves made with System Shock Portable work with System Shock Enhanced? Because I need to pick it up but I'm not sure I want to go through the beginning yet again. Also, is the mouse look mod part of Enhanced? I don't remember hearing about that but I might have missed it. I found it made it play so much better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I really, really, really, REALLY hope SOMEONE gets the rights to Rocket Jockey. I need that game in my life again.

EDIT: Please, Night Dive... you're my only hope.

Excuse the framerate, but just look at this poo poo! Wonderful soundtrack by Dick Dale, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZIWbfOkw34

This looks like a battle mode for Jet Moto ala Mario Kart. :allears:

No words :allears:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 9, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

I refuse to get even remotely excited until it's available for purchase. Way, way too much can go wrong with this.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The XL Engine guy we so regularly curse out for vanishing has returned. Sort of.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Doom and Doom II are confirmed for the Xbox One's backwards compatibility system later this week, making the Xbox One the first current gen system with an official version of Doom (the Wii U can be hacked to play old original Wii homebrew Doom ports though).

It's a loving travesty that it took this long, for real. Perhaps the new Doom will have the classics on there as a bonus or something.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

The Kins posted:

The XL Engine guy we so regularly curse out for vanishing has returned. Sort of.

Any news is good news lol. Thanks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

I want to be excited about this, but that Unity guy is, at least so far, working circles around him.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

catlord posted:

If it doesn't look like a SS2 mod there's no point.

No Dark Engine, no sale. :colbert:

Anyway, cool as that is, do saves made with System Shock Portable work with System Shock Enhanced? Because I need to pick it up but I'm not sure I want to go through the beginning yet again. Also, is the mouse look mod part of Enhanced? I don't remember hearing about that but I might have missed it. I found it made it play so much better.

Yes, mouse look mod is part of Enhanced. IT also has an extra feature: when you double click to pick something up in mouselook mode, it automatically switches off so you can plop the thing in your inventory. Then you just hit E again to lock the cursor. Also, saves should work. They're in your res/data folder, called "savgam***"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

The Kins posted:

quote:

What about source code access? I plan on releasing a few builds before I release the source code – unfortunately I’m too picky about the code for my own good – but I do plan on opening up read-only access to the repository (with the option to submit patches of course, if you are so inclined) within the first quarter of the year.
uh huh
I'll believe any of this when I see it

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

The Kins posted:

Oh god. Oh god! Oh my god! :gizz:

On a related note, has anyone given Interstellar Marines a shot? It looks like SWAT meets Left 4 Dead meets System Shock (even featuring a digitized Terri Brosius) but I haven't tried it firsthand. It seems deeply seeped in retro-FPS themes but I'm on the fence on dropping the cash or bandwidth.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's a loving travesty that it took this long, for real. Perhaps the new Doom will have the classics on there as a bonus or something.

Eh, on the 360, Ultimate Doom came out a year after launch but Doom II didn't show until 5 years after launch. That makes the Xbox One re-release of the 360 versions a little late on Doom but quite early on Doom II.

So all in all, it averages out to a bit earlier than we got it on the 360.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Wild T posted:

On a related note, has anyone given Interstellar Marines a shot? It looks like SWAT meets Left 4 Dead meets System Shock (even featuring a digitized Terri Brosius) but I haven't tried it firsthand. It seems deeply seeped in retro-FPS themes but I'm on the fence on dropping the cash or bandwidth.

It's none of those things. Wait for another free weekend, don't buy it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

A goon gifted me Interestellar Marines when it came out on Steam (really really early access). Nowadays is a decent game, still with a lot to improve but I'd say that is kind of RainbowSix in the future. It has deathmatch, TDM, some coop and that stuff. If you get it really really cheap is fun to play.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

The Kins posted:

Doesn't Daggerfall Unity do everything he claims that DFXL will do? I saw some videos that showed off extreme view distances, modding support (there was a loving jet with air combat and everything), and one of the videos mentioned exceptional performance on a several year old system. I guess it probably doesn't support old mods and doesn't have software renderer support, and I guess there will be a couple people very upset about that, but comparing feature lists it only seems to stand out in having a few years to have the stats system fully in place, which I guess DFU is very rapidly approaching?

Anyway, the plans for Dark Forces and Blood sound exciting, but I'll try not to get too excited until its out.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yes, mouse look mod is part of Enhanced. IT also has an extra feature: when you double click to pick something up in mouselook mode, it automatically switches off so you can plop the thing in your inventory. Then you just hit E again to lock the cursor. Also, saves should work. They're in your res/data folder, called "savgam***"

Thanks! I've been planning on picking it up anyway, but that definitely alleviates a few of my worries.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just don't understand why he's trying to combine four games across three completely different engines into one single executable. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason into the choices (other than Outlaws, which uses the same engine as Dark Forces and thus makes some modicum of sense). Like, maybe it could be argued that since the Dark Engine and Build Engine are both portal renderers, you could get away with common code between the two, but that doesn't really explain why they're being paired with Daggerfall (mostly because I don't really know what kind of engine Daggerfall actually uses, really).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

I just don't understand why he's trying to combine four games across three completely different engines into one single executable. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason into the choices (other than Outlaws, which uses the same engine as Dark Forces and thus makes some modicum of sense). Like, maybe it could be argued that since the Dark Engine and Build Engine are both portal renderers, you could get away with common code between the two, but that doesn't really explain why they're being paired with Daggerfall (mostly because I don't really know what kind of engine Daggerfall actually uses, really).

Oh, I thought it was actually called the XL engine? The box for Daggerfall (that I still own :smug:) says something like "Powered by XLEngine". :shobon:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So... based on that, I can assume that it started out as a Daggerfall engine update... but then went into to unrelated engines?

It still just strikes me as a really weird mish-mash. Like if ZDoom suddenly supported Build engine games natively. (And yes, I'm aware there were plans for (and code remnants of) exactly that at one point.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

So... based on that, I can assume that it started out as a Daggerfall engine update... but then went into to unrelated engines?

It still just strikes me as a really weird mish-mash. Like if ZDoom suddenly supported Build engine games natively. (And yes, I'm aware there were plans for (and code remnants of) exactly that at one point.)

I would genuinely love to play Duke in the Doom engine. I don't mean Samsara, but a full conversion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

I seem to remember a blog post about how he decided to add Blood because its engine was similar enough to the Dark Forces engine that he could reuse bits and pieces to make it easier on himself. Not sure why he added Dark Forces to his Daggerfall engine though. I'm also a little confused about why he's pushing back Outlaws support, you'd think that with Dark Forces a lot of the work would already be done.