Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

Why was it "embarrassing"? There was tons of conflicting info going down for a good while, considering there were actual protests all over the ME.

And as someone mentioned, the administration came out and corrected themselves later.

Which is one of (many, MANY) things I find funny about this inane BENGHAZI! conspiracy. Obama and Hillary had this brilliant plan that they would try to save face on the terrorist attack by blaming it on a video (which did exist and WAS causing problems in other parts of the ME), only to back away from this just mere days later? Really? That was their master plan?

And it later came out, from one of the leaders of the attack, that the video was motivation for the planning of the attack, anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
In which a Washington Post reporter runs into a Senator backstage at a Dead & Company show.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

Zeroisanumber posted:

Minnesota's pretty nice and our major metro area is consistently rated one of the most livable in the country. The worst things are long winters, mediocre weed, and stupid blue laws.

Our suburbs are horrid garbage rear end, but some people like that kind of thing.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Per WSJ Carson's autobiography is full of utter nonsense:

How does retaking a test make you honest? His lies make no loving sense whatsoever.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I love that the librarian is named Claryn Spies. :tinfoil:

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

How does retaking a test make you honest? His lies make no loving sense whatsoever.

Why doesn't Ben release his transcripts? What is he hiding?

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
Where's the longform stabbing certificate, Ben? Why are you hiding it from us?

e: seriously, that story is ridiculous. "And then I found 5 dollars" is a joke way to end a story, not a message of hope and inspiration

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Making up a story where your college professor paid you :10bux: because you're the bestest most honest student she ever saw is the most pathetic thing you could do. I look forward to Carson climbing another 2-3% as a result.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Why is this thread so quiet? Carson's doing another press conference right now.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrProsek posted:

Making up a story where your college professor paid you :10bux: because you're the bestest most honest student she ever saw is the most pathetic thing you could do. I look forward to Carson climbing another 2-3% as a result.
Its just missing all of the Albert Einsteins standing up and applauding while Carson and the professor get married to be peak stdh

I am not a book
Mar 9, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Why is this thread so quiet? Carson's doing another press conference right now.

link?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Also if the goal was to find the most honest student in the class, what exactly was their backup plan if any number of students other than 149 walked out

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Also if the goal was to find the most honest student in the class, what exactly was their backup plan if any number of students other than 149 walked out

Truthiness thunderdome.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

evilweasel posted:

Mitt Romney giving a press conference about Benghazi the day after it occured once it was known four people were killed, grinning the entire time.

Romney was saying throughout early 2012 that he was looking for a foreign issue like Carter's stuff to happen. He wanted a foreign event to happen in which Americans would be in danger or hurt so he could use it against Obama.

He was gleeful because he thought this was his Carter moment and he would ascend to the Presidency as Reagan 2.0.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe a stupid question but apart from if you're running for president, is fabricating stuff in your autobiography a problem particularly?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Samurai Sanders posted:

Maybe a stupid question but apart from if you're running for president, is fabricating stuff in your autobiography a problem particularly?

Ask Brian Williams.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Samurai Sanders posted:

You don't do that till after you're president.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo, it ended a while ago it seems. But he did call some reporter stupid.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It always pissed me off that they went hard after Brian Williams, but Bill O Reilly didn't get smeared into the ground like he did.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011
This is the worst example I've yet seen of the "racist idiot in the crowd isn't called out for being super racist" in the republican race yet.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/carly-fiorina-obama-black-muslim

Is the entire republican base like this? I just...don't know anymore. The Obama hate is so ... comically extreme.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

AmericanBarbarian posted:

This is the worst example I've yet seen of the "racist idiot in the crowd isn't called out for being super racist" in the republican race yet.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/carly-fiorina-obama-black-muslim

Is the entire republican base like this? I just...don't know anymore. The Obama hate is so ... comically extreme.

quote:

“He doesn’t want this country to get ahead,” the man said as Fiorina started to turn toward another table. "He doesn’t. He’s a Muslim. He’s a black Muslim."

Fiorina turned back toward the man.

"Well, time to do something different in many ways," she said.

Holy poo poo.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Hollismason posted:

It always pissed me off that they went hard after Brian Williams, but Bill O Reilly didn't get smeared into the ground like he did.

The jihad against the media has been one sided since Cronkite lost us the war and those two reporters got nixon impeached.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Hearing random white people go crazy is one thing, but that old Al Jazeera report and the followup interviews on that gathering a few years back in Ohio was worse than anything else I have seen in the campaigns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRqcfqiXCX0

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 7, 2015

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Hearing random white people go crazy is one thing, but that old Al Jazeera report on that gathering a few years back is worse than anything else I have seen in the campaigns.

Yeah it's such a disturbing video.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Radish posted:

Is there a term for when people get hoped up on right wing talking points and get themselves in trouble tilting at windmills? I'm thinking this woman or the idiot that got herself arrested trying to prove you could vote multiple times.

"Radicalized". People are literally being radicalized by decades long nonstop barrage of fundamentalist conservatism.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
^^^Get your own drat avatar! :argh:

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Hearing random white people go crazy is one thing, but that old Al Jazeera report and the followup interviews on that gathering a few years back in Ohio was worse than anything else I have seen in the campaigns.

Welp, that's about all the terrifying videos I need to watch today. These people are loving broken.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 7, 2015

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

SumYungGui posted:

^^^Get your own drat avatar! :argh:

Welp, that's about all the terrifying videos I need to watch today. These people are loving broken.

Yeah. That was 7 years ago, and it's only gotten worse.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Idle thought: I wonder how much, if any, damage was done to the culture of the Internet as a direct result of the Republican administration that existed for several of its formative years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I wouldn't say any damage only that it allowed people with extreme views to organize more easily and disseminate information.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Idle thought: I wonder how much, if any, damage was done to the culture of the Internet as a direct result of the Republican administration that existed for several of its formative years.

:nsa:

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Luigi Thirty posted:

There's a protest at the University of Missouri right now over anti-semitism among the student body. Someone drew a swastika made out of poo poo on a dorm room wall. The university refuses to do anything about that or other racist activities.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article43438974.html#storylink=fb_staff

I have been debating for days whether or not to post about this in this thread. Everything about the situation at Mizzou is a loving poo poo show at the moment. At the beginning of the semester Mizzou gave graduate students something ridiculous like less than 72 hour notice we were losing our health insurance. Then they tried to take tuition waivers away from grad students working quarter time, which of course, disproportionately harms humanities departments. Then the student body president got called a friend of the family on campus, which the chancellor took something like 6 days to respond to. Then the Legion of Black Collegians got called niggers by a student while they were organizing their homecoming protest. Then the Chancellor ended our relationship with Planned Parenthood that had let med students perform clinical hours at PP and gave PP doctors clinical privileges at the University Hospital, which was the only thing that allowed them to perform abortions in Columbia. Then someone drew a swastika in one of the dorms in feces. Columbia's Yik-Yak right now has a bunch of hilarious jokes like "how do you starve a friend of the family? hide his welfare check under his work boots." I also saw a picture of a monkey being distributed as a picture of Jonathan Butler, the student on the hunger strike. Yesterday, morning djs were debating whether or not they should send Butler Taco Bell. Oh yea! I forgot, the LBC protested the homecoming parade by stepping in front of the president's car. His driver promptly revved his engine continuously and bumped two of the students. Oh ya! and during one of the marches in the wake of the student body president being called a friend of the family some white kid was yelling about how it was a violation of his free speech for the black students to hold a rally in the speaker's circle and not let him blare techno music over them. Anyway, the point is everything about this school is super hosed up right now. I have hope that JB will actually succeed in his hunger strike though. Partially because of this video of our wonderful president supposedly after allowing protesting students to be sprayed with sprinklers. This dude is totally unfit to run a university. There is no way the curators are not forced to face this fact. Hopefully.

Really I just hope JB wins because I want to believe in justice, but also because JB is loving awesome and I don't want him to have to die because my university is loving awful.

Also, separate fight kind of, I mean, this doesn't help JB, but the English department also delivered a 26-0-2 vote of no confidence against the Chancellor earlier this week. poo poo is super hosed at the moment.

Edit: And of course the Missouri state legislature is on the case concerning PP! In response to the student backlash, the state legislature is investigating the relationship Mizzou had with the organization so they can conclude it was super unethical and illegal anyway.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 7, 2015

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

alpha_destroy posted:

I have been debating for days whether or not to post about this in this thread. Everything about the situation at Mizzou is a loving poo poo show at the moment. At the beginning of the semester Mizzou gave graduate students something ridiculous like less than 72 hour notice we were losing our health insurance. Then they tried to take tuition waivers away from grad students working quarter time, which of course, disproportionately harms humanities departments. Then the student body president got called a friend of the family on campus, which the chancellor took something like 6 days to respond to. Then the Legion of Black Collegians got called niggers by a student while they were organizing their homecoming protest. Then the Chancellor ended our relationship with Planned Parenthood that had let med students perform clinical hours at PP and gave PP doctors clinical privileges at the University Hospital, which was the only thing that allowed them to perform abortions in Columbia. Then someone drew a swastika in one of the dorms in feces. Columbia's Yik-Yak right now has a bunch of hilarious jokes like "how do you starve a friend of the family? hide his welfare check under his work boots." I also saw a picture of a monkey being distributed as a picture of Jonathan Butler, the student on the hunger strike. Yesterday, morning djs were debating whether or not they should send Butler Taco Bell. Oh yea! I forgot, the LBC protested the homecoming parade by stepping in front of the president's car. His driver promptly revved his engine continuously and bumped two of the students. Oh ya! and during one of the marches in the wake of the student body president being called a friend of the family some white kid was yelling about how it was a violation of his free speech for the black students to hold a rally in the speaker's circle and not let him blare techno music over them. Anyway, the point is everything about this school is super hosed up right now. I have hope that JB will actually succeed in his hunger strike though. Partially because of this video of our wonderful president supposedly after allowing protesting students to be sprayed with sprinklers. This dude is totally unfit to run a university. There is no way the curators are not forced to face this fact. Hopefully.

Really I just hope JB wins because I want to believe in justice, but also because JB is loving awesome and I don't want him to have to die because my university is loving awful.

Also, separate fight kind of, I mean, this doesn't help JB, but the English department also delivered a 26-0-2 vote of no confidence against the Chancellor earlier this week. poo poo is super hosed at the moment.

Edit: And of course the Missouri state legislature is on the case concerning PP! In response to the student backlash, the state legislature is investigating the relationship Mizzou had with the organization so they can conclude it was super unethical and illegal anyway.

I went to mizzou and it felt like every year there was one public act of hate towards the black students. Once someone sprinkled cotton balls outside the Black Student Union :( and people said it was just a prank that had nothing to do with race.

I'm definitely not giving them any donations until they start treating minority students better, and I know I'm not the only alumni who feels that way. But the middle aged townies are the ones with the money and they don't mind maintaining the status quo, even if it means making entire demographics of students uncomfortable.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Fried Chicken posted:

Except that's the opposite of what happened when they didn't raise rates - it took a hit, just like today.

It's almost like the market is now no longer reacting to real indicators of economic performance but is instead acting on other influencers not factored into baseline models :iiam:

I think it's fairly simple: unemployment goes down -> worker compensation goes up -> expected profits down -> stock market down. If you (not you Friend Chicken but you in general) think the markets falling is necessarily bad for the average worker, you've got some Cool-Aid to get out of your system, but of course I could be wrong.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Amergin posted:

Many companies are losing money right now due to the price drop. Anadarko recently took a net $2.2 billion hit this past quarter alone, down from ~$1 billion net profit same quarter last year.

Not a great time to be spending resources on oil pipes rather than natural gas terminals and export infrastructure.

edit: beaten

A lot of infrastructure is in place already though, so companies can just turn off productive, but non-profitable wells and either hold for better prices or sell and get out of the market. The oil is still there, and the roads, train tracks, and pumping equipment are all just mothballed and waiting for the prices to turn.

Who would've thought that over the course of just 7 years the US would increase production by so much that we basically collapse the Canadian tar-sand market that everyone thought was going to be a 25-year bonanza? Crazy.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Our suburbs are horrid garbage rear end, but some people like that kind of thing.

The 'burbs are terrible everywhere.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

greatn posted:

Your friend just spent $2000 on sex to get his dick wet. Tell him maybe use a condom or date someone who uses birth control, Jesus.

what

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This insipid prose reminds me of David Foster Wallace's essay about bad sports autobiographies. That text reads like excerpts from the Stephi Graf autobiography he unpacks.

Do you have a link to that essay, or is it only available in print? Google isn't helping. I'm reading The Pale King now and the idea of DFW ripping apart a piece of lovely writing sounds very entertaining.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Munkeymon posted:

If you (not you Friend Chicken but you in general) think the markets falling is necessarily bad for the average worker, you've got some Cool-Aid to get out of your system, but of course I could be wrong.

Well it's bad for their retirements, to the degree they can even get an IRA or 401k.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

JT Jag posted:

SomethingAwful? :razz:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Abortions are about $500, I'm assuming the guy paid for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

JT Jag posted:

No more than what already existed due to it being primarily white men.

• Locked thread