Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

When playing Ragha, is it better to start with your STR mages, or recruit "fast" mages the first few turns to get research going faster and wait until you get a fort up for the STR ones? Obviously you want to grab the good STR ones (Turan Sorcerers/Airya Seraphs) that you can't normally recruit when you get the chance, but that won't happen until summer/winter depending on your scales.

To counter with a question: what could you do with that early StR that you couldn't do with faster mages? Given that higher path spells generally take about a year to get a hold of anyway, it probably isn't worth the early research hit. Time getting the StR so he's online when the thing he wants to cast is researched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
They're nice for searching. A Turan Sorceror is probably better enough than a Dastur with 1 in everything that you may as well pick one up early and have him run around looking for fire sites. A Seraph is probably even better since you want air gems much more than you want the fire.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

In my eyes, few STR mages are worth trading two slightly lesser mages. They have to be really impressive (like a recruit anywhere Elder Druid) to be worth that extra mage turn, or they have to give you that one path level you can't get otherwise.

I will grant that they're often more gold efficient. That can matter, but the fact that STR tends to mean cap only I don't like basing a strategy on them.

As far as Ragah, I still haven't decided whether neutral or perma cold is better for them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

wiegieman posted:

In my eyes, few STR mages are worth trading two slightly lesser mages. They have to be really impressive (like a recruit anywhere Elder Druid) to be worth that extra mage turn, or they have to give you that one path level you can't get otherwise.

I will grant that they're often more gold efficient. That can matter, but the fact that STR tends to mean cap only I don't like basing a strategy on them.

As far as Ragah, I still haven't decided whether neutral or perma cold is better for them.

Well, Ragha's STR mages have F/A3 compared to 1 (maybe 2 with the right random) for their non-STR ones, so they're definitely worth it on that front. I was mainly concerned for the first half of the first year or so, before I get a second fort up; in the long run I'm definitely sticking mostly to the STR mages. Though a few cheaper ones, since they're also priests and can thus build both labs and temples, wouldn't be amiss either. Not nearly as useful for combat though.

As for temp scales, either H1 or C1 seems good to me. You can only recruit your F1?1H1 priests in neutral scales, so neutral temperature sucks because most of the year you're stuck with them, while 1 point either way lets you get good mages most of the year, and in summer/winter you can still get the type you're normally barred from. I prefer C1 since A. I like Caelum a lot and basically play Ragha as the real LA Caelum but with troops that are worth something, and B. Air magic seems more versatile and less easy to shut down, combined with their flying being great, whereas the F3 casters are best for Flaming Arrows if your opponent can hit you with Rain or something. Also, Thunder Strike is awesome.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 7, 2015

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
I agree with most sentiment urging you to invest mostly in the more expensive mages.

Zaotar and Dastur are too expensive for what you get, are not useful in battle and are questionable in doing most everything. They can wear the crown of the Shah and claim thrones, that's about it - and you need precisely one of them for that job. I recommend the flying one (ideally a flying one with A2 for cloud trapeze).

The F1 mages, particularly the flying ones, can do a couple things that are useful though- particularly the Athravan. Mostly, the Athravan:

- Research more efficiently for gold cost over time (in the LONG run, not the short run). Mostly, you pay a bit less than half as much upfront and get about half as much research per turn, and recruit every turn instead of every 2 turns, which seems like it comes out a wash... but they're sacred. It's a way of saving money in the long run, by reducing upkeep costs of your mage corps in exchange for them being drastically less useful in battle, as forgers, as sitesearchers, etc. In the early stages you'd probably rather have an extra thunderstrike caster on hand than saving a small amount of gold.
- Fly around building labs and maybe temples if necessary to get e.g. lizard shamen
- Forge and/or hold Lightless Lanterns for research.
- Last resort defenses fireball machines (give a fire gem, order Phoenix Power -> Fireball x4).

If you have a bunch of magic scales, you might want to build the F1 guys a fair bit early game for research purposes (because they become more of a better deal). However, as Ragha, you are going to want O3G3P3 and probably only C1 or H1, so your pool of points for scales is pretty limited, and you are probably going to take misfortune 2 and/or drain 1 to actually make up the points. It's unlikely you'll find points to spend on magic scales.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I have Drain 1. Like I said, I'm mainly just wondering if slightly slower early research for the first six months or so is alright if I hire the good mages from the start or not. Seems like most people think it is, which works for me.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Just pick a sacred cav nation and ruin the game for the neighbor of you are choosing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

When playing Ragha, is it better to start with your STR mages, or recruit "fast" mages the first few turns to get research going faster and wait until you get a fort up for the STR ones?
A couple of packs of Elephants led by Paigan Salars is infinitely better than either of these for guaranteeing you a solid early-midgame, hth.

e: all of the Cold stuff with Ragha is a trap because of the chance of low Astral (you will get mind duelled by any number of easily-recruitable S1 mages and lose 200+ gold a pop) and the cold sacred being garbage compared to the Heat one.

An Airya Seraph can cast Storm and that's really cool and all, but if you wanted to play at Thunderstrikes why not go for Van or Bogarus instead?

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Nov 7, 2015

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

jBrereton posted:

A couple of packs of Elephants led by Paigan Salars is infinitely better than either of these for guaranteeing you a solid early-midgame, hth.

e: all of the Cold stuff with Ragha is a trap because of the chance of low Astral (you will get mind duelled by any number of easily-recruitable S1 mages and lose 200+ gold a pop) and the cold sacred being garbage compared to the Heat one.

An Airya Seraph can cast Storm and that's really cool and all, but if you wanted to play at Thunderstrikes why not go for Van or Bogarus instead?

Obviously I'm going to be recruiting elephants for expansion, those things are not mutually exclusive recruitment options. I'm not sure why you even felt the need to mention them really.

As for sacreds, probably not going to make heavy use of either because the Heat one is expensive and not really better than elephants early on, the Cold one is bad, and neither seems worth building the nation around bless-wise so what's the point?

Also, I don't want to play Van or Bogarus, hence not picking them. If I had wanted to be Bogarus (who are one of the LA nations I actually like, admittedly), I would have picked them instead of Ragha.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Roland Jones posted:

Obviously I'm going to be recruiting elephants for expansion, those things are not mutually exclusive recruitment options. I'm not sure why you even felt the need to mention them really.

As for sacreds, probably not going to make heavy use of either because the Heat one is expensive and not really better than elephants early on, the Cold one is bad, and neither seems worth building the nation around bless-wise so what's the point?

Also, I don't want to play Van or Bogarus, hence not picking them. If I had wanted to be Bogarus (who are one of the LA nations I actually like, admittedly), I would have picked them instead of Ragha.

Zhayedan are really, really good.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

They're really extremely good for early wars but the second anyone starts casting Iron Bane or any MR resists stuff you run into trouble and need some way to transition.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

this is basically true of most sacreds in one way or another. they're still good and worth using. mictlan doesn't just stop using jags once machaka has maws right? (or do they and i'm just bad?)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

this is basically true of most sacreds in one way or another. they're still good and worth using. mictlan doesn't just stop using jags once machaka has maws right? (or do they and i'm just bad?)

we're all bad friend

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

Because there is no way you can realistically afford the temp-reliant mages and also enough elephants to keep up with the Skinshifting/massive crossbow line nations which are like half of them.

The heat sacreds really are pretty good by the way. Four attacks is a lot of them, especially since they get a huge damage buff on the first round as of the last couple of patches, and there are a few decent summonable sacreds too between Yazads and Daevas (although they are a bit hard to mass, they do have awe/fear and are resistant to Iron Bane and part-resistant to Lightning).

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

Mictlan goes b9 and is a huge jerk to kill with evocations, you have to use skeletons or something

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Boing posted:

Mictlan goes b9 and is a huge jerk to kill with evocations, you have to use skeletons or something

the vanhere or w/e you get my point jerk :mad:

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
One spell that I see get a ton of love but I've never used myself is bone grinding. What are some good nations/strategies for it?

Should I be planning to spam it for unit kills using the AN damage or is it better to cast it just once for the afflictions?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boing posted:

since you want air gems much more than you want the fire.

This is pretty much never true

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
So ilu, what are your favourite underrated spells in Dom 4?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

One spell that I see get a ton of love but I've never used myself is bone grinding. What are some good nations/strategies for it?

Should I be planning to spam it for unit kills using the AN damage or is it better to cast it just once for the afflictions?

Bone grinding is really good on Lemuria and Yomi. When spammed it just kills most stuff. Wailing winds + 1 or 2 casts of bone grinding will insta route basically anything with a morale score.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Apparently my mages are all very heroic?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Apparently a new conquest of Elysium is coming out in a few days. What's the difference between the two series?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
CoE is pretty much like a 2D, singleplayer version of Fallen Enchantress where the world is even more of an obstacle to your success. If you lose your God, you are pretty much out of the game forever.

It isn't very much like Dominions.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Absum posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Absum posted:

heroic skelton manufacturers

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

OUR HERO HAS FALLEN

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

DrManiac posted:

Apparently a new conquest of Elysium is coming out in a few days. What's the difference between the two series?

the difference is that you can position and script your armies in dominions, while in coe you are only allowed to push stacks around and the combat is 100% ai-run

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Illwinter cares so little about their own games that they haven't even put a price tag to the game, despite the game will be released in a few days.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Samog posted:

the difference is that you can position and script your armies in dominions, while in coe you are only allowed to push stacks around and the combat is 100% ai-run

does CoE4 have unit positioning? units move individually on the battlefield in CoE4, they didn't in CoE3

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Saw in another thread that Conquest of Elysium 4 comes out in a week

These games any good? I love Dominions, I love TBS games, and I love Roguelikes but I didn't hear a ton of positive things about CoE3

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Babe Magnet posted:

Saw in another thread that Conquest of Elysium 4 comes out in a week

These games any good? I love Dominions, I love TBS games, and I love Roguelikes but I didn't hear a ton of positive things about CoE3

CoE3 is my favourite game to play on my tablet when I'm on the toilet, after Qvadriga and King of Dragon Pass

that's my review

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This is the best nation I have ever seen in nationgen, and it's not even close.

MA Panor
http://www95.zippyshare.com/v/p7j7v7pw/file.html
Race: Caelians.
Military: Light infantry and heavy infantry. Bowmen and longbowmen. Sacred light infantry.
Magic: Air, Astral, Death and Nature. Weak Earth.
Priests: Strong, can reanimate the dead.
-----------------------------------
National traits:
- Priests can reanimate the dead
- The pretender god of this nation does not lose magical skill upon death

Well, that doesn't look too intimidating. Let's analyze, starting from the top - reanimation! Awesome. Always awesome. What are some normal counters? Earthquake, ROS.

Oh, okay then. How about jamming them up with ethereal guys?

Obsidian blades are magic, so that's out. Perhaps I can think of something clever?

Jesus christ. 50g, 19 def, flying, fear.
Plus some bog standard elephants to put under your inspirational leaders for expansion if those guys somehow don't work for you.

And that's just the troops. The commander version of the Golden Paladin is a good thug chassis:

The more expensive basic mage is a solid raider in it's own right:

but pales in comparison to the STR one (still recruit anywhere).

The cap only (not STR) mage rounds out the magic paths nicely:

Yes. That is all paths covered. With solid cross paths so many boosters are available. Heaven forbid you ever hit stacked randoms on either big mage.

The cherry on top is the NO THRONE IS SAFE priest:

Get a nation much worse than this one in the new nationgens game. http://www.brainwrinkle.net/games/305

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 10, 2015

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

:stare:

Holy poo poo, imagine that with W9. That's... better than Jags.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
TWENTY attack skill? I don't think anything has 20 attack skill, outside of Dom3 elemental kings of fire. Can't get mod inspector to load to check, but I would not be surprised if only Horrors and the best SC chassis had 20 att.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
They're a better version of the Caelum national summon, that you can recruit. More HP, more MR and morale, really everything's better except for slightly worse protection and their movement being the same. Also Fall Power because why not. And you can recruit them en masse rather than summon them three at a time with an F1D2 mage and fifteen death gems. That's... Jeez. I wonder if you can get recruitable yazatas in nationgen too. Pretty sure you can, given some patch notes I saw, so... Might be an even better score there, depending, though massed Fear sacreds are nasty.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 10, 2015

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

TheDemon posted:

TWENTY attack skill? I don't think anything has 20 attack skill, outside of Dom3 elemental kings of fire. Can't get mod inspector to load to check, but I would not be surprised if only Horrors and the best SC chassis had 20 att.

The Djinn, Legion of Gods, the Greater Horrors.

And for some strange reason Will o' the Whisps.

Roland Jones posted:

They're a better version of the Caelum national summon, that you can recruit. More HP, more MR and morale, really everything's better except for slightly worse protection and their movement being the same. Also Fall Power because why not. And you can recruit them en masse rather than summon them three at a time with an F1D2 mage and fifteen death gems. That's... Jeez. I wonder if you can get recruitable yazatas in nationgen too. Pretty sure you can, given some patch notes I saw, so... Might be an even better score there, depending, though massed Fear sacreds are nasty.

These guys have by far the best stats of any of the divine Caelums I've seen. There are some pretty nasty glamour awe 2 Yazatas, though, and their commander is an assassin.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Demons with 20 MR out of the box.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
So I'm reading up on MA Asphodel for the next game I'm going to join, and as usual, Desura/Steam forums are all over the place on what to do. I had a search through our own thread here and it seems the loose consensus is:

• Growth 3
  • Sloth 3
  • Magic 3
  • Dom ~7 or so because popkill eating up income sucks
  • Take every forest
  • Expansion pretender / But maybe also Earth/Astral access???

Keeping in mind I only have the one game's experience as EA Vanheim under my belt, what kind of goals should I set, year by year? Should I aim to have Mother Oak up by the end of Year 1, and summoning Lamia Queens by Year 2? I see people having issues going bankrupt on the nation, if I strategically keep temples/pretenders/prophets away from super high-income provinces I hold, is that a good start?

Basic questions, but my Vanheim effort suffered because I didn't plan appropriately for the lategame (I anticipated being rushed down by Mictlan, who died by like Year 2) and I want to keep improving.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Take a major bless and make sacred cavalry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
This nation seems chill.

• Locked thread