Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Immortan posted:

Googling it would be quicker.

So pretty much him lying about West Point, lying about having a violent past, and being stupid about the pyramids?

Montasque posted:

The liberal rag the Wall Street Journal poked around Carson's past and was unable to confirm a tale about him saving a group of white kids from riotous Negros:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/ben-carsons-past-faces-deeper-questions-1446861864

"Though he said he feared discovery, he claimed the secret operating room he had set up in the basement would be the perfect hiding place during the riots. Upon being questioned over this, Carson later admitted he may have confused his freshman year in medical school with the first season of The Knick."

Wanamingo fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Oh hey, I just found a quote for Trump's new campaign ad

quote:

If we must have a tyrant a robber baron is far better than an inquisitor. The baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity at some point may be sated; and since he dimly knows he is doing wrong he may possibly repent. But the inquisitor who mistakes his own cruelty and lust of power and fear for the voice of Heaven will torment us infinitely more because he torments us with the approval of his own conscience and his better impulses appear to him as temptations. - CS Lewis

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
if carson was running on anything besides being a christian doctor, i'd guess the media wouldn't care so much about him making up poo poo in his book about being a christian doctor.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
Children begin running and screaming...

Dr.Carson stand and turns, a large bear, perhaps 50 feet tall, hovers above him.

<Boy 1>Don't go Ben, think about (turns toward camera) your Gifted Hands.

Dr. Carson slowly walks toward the bear, which drops to all fours subservently. Dr. Carson gently places his Gifted Hand on the bear's head.

<Dr. Carson> Friend bear...

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So has anyone reported Ben carsons lies to his medical board? In the UK the GMC would be all over you for dishonesty even if it didn't directly relate to medical work

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
But why are y'all making a fuss about Ben Carson not stabbing someone when we know Hilary killed Vince foster and Ben Gazi.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So has anyone reported Ben carsons lies to his medical board? In the UK the GMC would be all over you for dishonesty even if it didn't directly relate to medical work

What lies? It's much ado about nothing.

Medical board, lol

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
The only way this Ben Carson imbroglio could get any better is if it turns out he has an actual girlfriend in Canada, and it sinks his campaign.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426728/ben-carson-liberal-media-victim

"A “high-tech lynching” is again underway, but if recent history is any guide, the Left’s attempt to strike down Carson will only make him stronger. The media can launch its attacks, but it cannot change the fundamental facts: Ben Carson is a good and decent man, an American hero."

:911:

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Smoothrich posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/426728/ben-carson-liberal-media-victim

"A “high-tech lynching” is again underway, but if recent history is any guide, the Left’s attempt to strike down Carson will only make him stronger. The media can launch its attacks, but it cannot change the fundamental facts: Ben Carson is a good and decent man, an American hero."

:911:

You know, on the "Westpoint scholarship" issue I kind of agree that it was simply the prime time to criticize Dr Carson and they found something that might not be as important as we are making it.

Unfortunately, there is this thing called context and when the context is such that I initially believed that ridiculous bear story there is much more here than simply a misunderstanding and false memory of a scholarship extended.

As for new thread header, I'm partial to: "what part of "Farro" did you not understand?"

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Carson was recruited to West Point and promised a free ride based on his ROTC status and grades, but he declined to study medicine instead. He never got a scholarship because he never applied to go to West Point, but the offer was there if he wanted to take it.

There is no scandal. Politico is full of poo poo during campaign season, they are Hillary puppets. You guys are being rabble roused by establishment-controlled media smears and flagrant mischaracterizations of innocuous words.

Think for yourself, question everything, put on the glasses, Carson 2016 etc

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

I think he's retired so there wouldn't be much point.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Smoothrich posted:

Carson was recruited to West Point and promised a free ride based on his ROTC status and grades, but he declined to study medicine instead. He never got a scholarship because he never applied to go to West Point, but the offer was there if he wanted to take it.

There is no scandal. Politico is full of poo poo during campaign season, they are Hillary puppets. You guys are being rabble roused by establishment-controlled media smears and flagrant mischaracterizations of innocuous words.

Although there's no such thing as a person attending WP without a free ride, your position is quite defensible. But can you defend his reaction to it last night? Also my offer to "try on the glasses" still stands, email dbb090@gmail.com or AIM me at onecardinalfan to chat. I will only put them on to see if they fit, though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Is Smoothrich playing a character?

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Is Smoothrich playing a character?

Im still convinced smoothrich is just boosted_c5's alt account, trying to shift the Trollerton Window so he sounds reasonable

E: that said if he actually contacts me, i expect i'll come back tomorrow wearing the Carson glasses (i'm tired* enough to be buying that Bill covered up Barry Seal's murder via the Mena scandal on YouTube rn so anything is possible)

*is that stupid rule about drunkposting still around?

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 7, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So Friday, Huckabee, Jindal and Cruz went to an event hosted by Kevin Swanson. Kevin Swanson is know for calling for execution of gays among many other topics. Kevin tripled down on his beliefs yesterday.

quote:

There are instances in which both the Old and New Testament speak to the matter with unbelievable clarity. You know what that sin is – it’s the sin of homosexuality. In fact in Romans 1 Paul affirms that this particular sin is worthy of death. The Old and New Testament, I believe both speak with authority and we outta receive it.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIlPdyrvEfw&ebc=ANyPxKp-KcbA_oY-qDiLJYOBBDGMw2AD_XQwbL_OK34tUppR-4xZVe6H127rW7XWwbV8CWaY2KKw

And it got even weirder

quote:

There are families, we’re talking Christian families, pastors’ families, elders’ families from good, godly churches,” Swanson said, “whose sons are rebelling, hanging out with homosexuals and getting married and the parents are invited. What would you do if that was the case? Here is what I would do: sackcloth and ashes at the entrance to the church and I’d sit in cow manure and I’d spread it all over my body. That is what I would do and I’m not kidding, I’m not laughing.” “I’m grieving, I’m mourning, I’m pointing out the problem,” Swanson screamed as he went off about people trying to “carve happy faces on the sores” of a society that is utterly “messed up.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pLobWHDdVw&ebc=ANyPxKp-KcbA_oY-qDiLJYOBBDGMw2AD_XQwbL_OK34tUppR-4xZVe6H127rW7XWwbV8CWaY2KKw

The candidates were interviewed on stage.by Kevin Swanson.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

William Bear posted:

Full results post-deadline here:

http://algop.org/elections/2016-qualified-alabama-republican-candidates/2016-republican-national-convention-delegate/

Unfortunately, the site doesn't provide a summary number, just a list of delegate names, and you can't just count names because you can be a prospective delegate in more than one slot.

A quick look shows that Trump, Carson, Rubio and Cruz have full rosters. Despite the endorsement of the sitting governor, Kasich's list is very sparse, and all Jeb's supposed organizational competence and monetary advantage resulted in only a half full list.

So what does this mean, in a concrete sense? If Héb somehow got 100% of the vote, he'd still only get half the delegates because he only has a half-full list? How would the rest of the delegates be distributed? Some of these primary rules are arcane.

And I realize that Alabama probably isn't very important to the primaries and that he was never going to approach 50% anyway, but I'm amazed that JB couldn't get a full roster. With all his connections and money, I figured that rounding up a few dozen people to be delegates in any given state would be the least of his worries. If I'm interpreting this correctly, he's collapsing even faster than we'd predicted.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Xenophon posted:

nah, it's a fake. but there was a significant period of time in which I thought it was real

The thing that gave it away was Gifted Hands™, if not for that I completely could have believed it was a real excerpt fom one of his books.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Phlegmish posted:

The thing that gave it away was Gifted Hands™, if not for that I completely could have believed it was a real excerpt fom one of his books.

HANDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTvwaE0L6lg

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

overdesigned posted:

Man, Carson's book is crazier than we all thought.

source
Two things about the Friend Bear story, because I'm fascinated by it:

1. He mentions "classmates" and a camp counselor is present, so he's probably middle school age at this point in the book. The camp counselor, in a life-or-death situation, screams at a young boy to think about his gifted hands. Run that scenario through your head one more time before moving on to my second point.

2. Gifted Hands™

The more I try to imagine how this played out, the more comical it becomes.

Edit: oh it's fake? Well that sucks

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Peachstapler posted:

Two things about the Friend Bear story, because I'm fascinated by it:

1. He mentions "classmates" and a camp counselor is present, so he's probably middle school age at this point in the book. The camp counselor, in a life-or-death situation, screams at a young boy to think about his gifted hands. Run that scenario through your head one more time before moving on to my second point.

2. Gifted Hands™

The more I try to imagine how this played out, the more comical it becomes.

Edit: oh it's fake? Well that sucks

This is all I need to see to prove that this election has gone off the rails, a solid 50% of the people reading this thread just took it on faith that this story was true (me included)

I recommend everyone watch an RNC debate to see how this isn't just "how it always is", sure they still cling like crazies to trickle-down and generally gently caress with the moderators but this level of crazy, as far as I can tell, is totally and completely unpredecented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9i_6g035WE
CNBC Debate Nov 9, 2011

Bachmann, Cain and Gingrich can still answer basic questions with policy. Much of their policy is insane, but they can do it. Contrast that with Fiorina, Carson and Trump. Then compare Rand with Ron and Huntsman with Kasich and you'll soon realize that this isn't "how the Republicans always are", this is a once in a lifetime microscope into lunacy. And I recommend that no one forget it.

EDIT: I got a whole hour in and I haven't heard a single totally insane idea. I'm not talking about "9-9-9" type of insane where it wouldn't work, I mean vaccine denial, Planned Parenthood butchers babies, "i did not have a relationship with that company I had a relationship with", Obama is a mooslim...for Christ's sakes, Gingrich actually got grilled on his idea of "repeal and replace Obamacare" and the audience wasn't sold that it would work. Harwood is also being about as big of a dick as he was this time, and he is getting booed but the candidates are then responding to his prodding. No candidate is attacking each other except by saying they don't agree. You guys had me REALLY convinced that it was always at least close to how it is this time, and that the RNC nomination is always crazy, but no...what the gently caress?

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 7, 2015

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

So what does this mean, in a concrete sense? If Héb somehow got 100% of the vote, he'd still only get half the delegates because he only has a half-full list? How would the rest of the delegates be distributed? Some of these primary rules are arcane.

And I realize that Alabama probably isn't very important to the primaries and that he was never going to approach 50% anyway, but I'm amazed that JB couldn't get a full roster. With all his connections and money, I figured that rounding up a few dozen people to be delegates in any given state would be the least of his worries. If I'm interpreting this correctly, he's collapsing even faster than we'd predicted.

To come back to this, I notice Chris Christie and Bobby Jindal each have zero delegates. Huckabee only managed a handful of people. Kasich, Santorum and Fiorina got less than half their slots filled up.

Is this is a good indication of a candidate's weakness, or is it possible not to care about Alabam's electoral votes at all? Are there other states with similar primary rules?

Note that Rand Paul has a full roster, despite thinking his own campaign is 'dumbass' he's still putting in the effort.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What happens in Alabama is that you vote for a Presidential candidate and that candidate's delegates. You cannot vote for the delegates of a different candidate. If your candidate has no delegates, you just don't vote for any delegates. This means that your candidate may win your congressional district (Alabama awards delegates by district), but another candidate's delegates win. In this event, those delegates attend the convention bound to vote on the first ballot for the candidate who won the primary in their district, but become unbound on the second ballot or if that candidate drops out before the convention.

In other words, Chris Christie could win Alabama (spoiler: he won't) but all the delegates from the state might be Rand Paul people who would have to vote for Christie on the first ballot if he were still in the race.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Manos: Gifted Hands

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pyramid scheme's cereal memes gather steam; media reams redeeming themes of supreme surgeon's American Dream

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

What happens in Alabama is that you vote for a Presidential candidate and that candidate's delegates. You cannot vote for the delegates of a different candidate. If your candidate has no delegates, you just don't vote for any delegates. This means that your candidate may win your congressional district (Alabama awards delegates by district), but another candidate's delegates win. In this event, those delegates attend the convention bound to vote on the first ballot for the candidate who won the primary in their district, but become unbound on the second ballot or if that candidate drops out before the convention.

In other words, Chris Christie could win Alabama (spoiler: he won't) but all the delegates from the state might be Rand Paul people who would have to vote for Christie on the first ballot if he were still in the race.

I see. So if Chris Christie gets a plurality in in every single district, he will get all of Alabama's electoral votes despite not having any delegates, because all the winning delegates will be forced to vote for him in the first (and only) round? But if he gets a plurality in less than half the districts (but still more than anyone else), it will be impossible for him to win because all of the delegates will revert to their original loyalties by the second round? Either way, it seems to me that you're always better off with a full roster, because chances are that there's going to be more than one round with this packed field of candidates. How significant is it to you that Jeb Bush didn't manage to get a full list?

Are there other states with similar rules that we can analyze post-deadline?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Here are the Alabama delegate selection rules, via The Green Papers (linked in the OP):

quote:

Tuesday 1 March 2016: 47 of 50 of Alabama's delegates to the Republican National Convention are allocated to presidential contenders in today's Alabama Presidential Primary.
  • 21 district delegates are allocated to presidential contenders, "winner-take-most", based on the results of the primary in each congressional district. Each of the 7 congressional districts is assigned 3 National Convention delegates.
    • If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%) or if only one candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all 3 of the district's delegates.
    • If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and more than 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the candidate with the most votes is allocated 2 delegates and the candidate with the next highest number of votes is allocated 1 delegate.
    • If no candidate receives 20% of the vote, the 3 district delegates are proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders. See the rounding rules below.
  • 26 at-large delegates are allocated to presidential contenders, "winner-take-most", based on the statewide results of the primary.
    • If a candidate receives a majority of the vote (more than 50%) or if only one candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, that candidate is allocated all of the 26 at-large delegates.
    • If no candidate receives a majority of the vote and more than 1 candidate receives 20% or more of the vote, the 26 at-large delegates are to be proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders to those candidates receiving 20% or more the vote. See the rounding rules below.
    • If no candidate receives 20% of the vote, the 26 at-large delegates are proportionally allocated to the presidential contenders. See the rounding rules below.
Proportional allocation rounding: Round the delegate allocations to the nearest whole number. If the rounding allocates too few delegates, the candidate with the most votes receives the remaining delegate(s). If the rounding allocates too many delegates, the candidate receiving the fewest votes looses as many delegates as necessary.

In addition, 3 party leaders, the National Committeeman, the National Committeewoman, and the chairman of the Alabama's Republican Party, will attend the convention as unpledged delegates by virtue of their position. Traditionally, these delegates vote for the winner of Alabama's primary.

Delegate election.

Delegates must file a Declaration of Candidacy on or before 6 November 2015. Delegate candidates may run in either the CD where he/she votes or for the statewide (at-large) positions, but not both. Delegates bind themselves to Presidential contenders on the Declaration.

There are 47 National Convention delegate "place numbers" on the primary ballot-- 3 for each of the 7 Congressional districts and 26 statewide. Delegates run for each "place number". A delegate's name and "place number" appears on the ballot below the Presidential candidate's name unless the delegate is unopposed for that "place number". If there is more than one candidate for a place number, the delegate receiving the most votes for that "place number" is elected. Should candidate withdraw, delegates for that candidate may either withdraw or become uncommitted.

Voters cast ballots for no more than one Presidential candidate and that candidates delegates. The voter cannot vote for one Presidential candidate and the delegates for another.

National Convention District Alternate delegates are elected by the Congressional District Committee. Statewide alternates are elected by the Republican Executive Committee.

No person named as a delegate or alternate delegate pledged to a person as the Republican nominee for President of the United States shall cast a contrary vote at such convention unless first released by (a) public statement or in writing by such presidential candidate or (b) two-thirds vote of all members of the Alabama Delegation to the Republican National Convention similarly pledged; and the vote of any person who attempts to violate the provisions hereof shall not be allowed, but such vote may instead be cast for the person to whom such delegate or alternate delegate is pledged either by the Chairman of the Alabama Delegation to the Republican National Convention or by the Secretary of such Convention.

The key thing to remember is that none of this has mattered in any primary since 1976. This year even moreso: the RNC is binding all delegates, including those from caucus states. Obviously, it's better to have your own people serve as delegates because then you have more power if there are any floor votes on credentialing or whatever, but by the time of the convention the party will have unified behind the nominee. A couple of Paulites will be obnoxious, but nobody will care.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

You're all gonna look mad silly when carson goes on stage to reveal that he is actually batman

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

the book tour was just a cover while ben saved all the un diplomats from joker, penguin and catwoman who were holding them hostage in penguins submarine. typical leftists stabbing our superheroes in the back while they struggle for world peace

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I don't buy for a nanosecond that Ben Carson, who was well connected enough to meet important generals and the top ROTC student, only applied to one college, Yale. No loving way. Any journalist worth their salt should be trying to find application records, because there's just no god drat way he didn't apply to a bunch of other schools.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Shakugan posted:

I don't buy for a nanosecond that Ben Carson, who was well connected enough to meet important generals and the top ROTC student, only applied to one college, Yale. No loving way. Any journalist worth their salt should be trying to find application records, because there's just no god drat way he didn't apply to a bunch of other schools.

I don't find that suspicious in the slightest. It may or may not be true, but I'm willing to take him at his word on that one because I know lots of smart people who only applied to one school. Sometimes it worked out.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

The Surprising Adventures of Baron Bencarson.

This really, really needs more love. :golfclap:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Shakugan posted:

he would have applied to more colleges but the riddler had stolen three pieces of famous art and placed them in elaborate puzzle rooms and only ben carsons genius level intellect and baterangs could retrieve them and bring riddler to justice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

Here are the Alabama delegate selection rules, via The Green Papers (linked in the OP):

The key thing to remember is that none of this has mattered in any primary since 1976. This year even moreso: the RNC is binding all delegates, including those from caucus states. Obviously, it's better to have your own people serve as delegates because then you have more power if there are any floor votes on credentialing or whatever, but by the time of the convention the party will have unified behind the nominee. A couple of Paulites will be obnoxious, but nobody will care.

Ah, yes. I think I got confused because I assumed there would be a separate Alabama convention first.

So in this scenario where Chris Christie gets 99.9% of the vote in each separate district and at-large, and where 0.1% voted for Rand Paul and his delegates in each district and at-large, then we have 47 Rand Paul delegates that are all bound to vote for Christie during the first round of voting at the RNC. Is this correct?

And by the second round, anything goes, so if the 47 Paul delegates have all decided they like Trump more after all, there's nothing stopping them from voting for him. Right?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Smoothrich posted:

What kind of unAmerican bullshit is this? West Point is always free, it's a military academy. You pay your way by serving your country. Ben Carson claiming to have been offered a scholarship cheapens the efforts of everyone else who's walked those halls. gently caress off, you terrorist-lover.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Chantilly Say posted:

What kind of unAmerican bullshit is this? West Point is always free, it's a military academy. You pay your way by serving your country. Ben Carson claiming to have been offered a scholarship cheapens the efforts of everyone else who's walked those halls. gently caress off, you terrorist-lover.

None of his base picked up on this because none of them went to West Point.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phlegmish posted:

Ah, yes. I think I got confused because I assumed there would be a separate Alabama convention first.

So in this scenario where Chris Christie gets 99.9% of the vote in each separate district and at-large, and where 0.1% voted for Rand Paul and his delegates in each district and at-large, then we have 47 Rand Paul delegates that are all bound to vote for Christie during the first round of voting at the RNC. Is this correct?

And by the second round, anything goes, so if the 47 Paul delegates have all decided they like Trump more after all, there's nothing stopping them from voting for him. Right?

Exactly. The 47 delegates would all also become unbound if Christie were to drop out of the race before the convention, at which point (or after the first ballot) they're all free to vote for whomever they want. They also don't have to vote as a group. Nor, if they become unbound, do they have to vote for someone who actually ran in the primary. Nominations on the floor work as they normally would under Robert's Rules. If they can get a sufficient second, they can put any name into nomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
So Ben Carson had a full scholarship to West Point in the same sense I had a full scholarship to West Point. I never was accepted, and indeed never even applied or had a congressman prepared to nominate me, but theoretically if I did apply and was accepted I would have a "full scholarship". Good to know. I think I'll start putting that on my future resumes.

• Locked thread