Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Ok i found out you get a 1up every 50k points so by playing carefully I was able to beat the game. Pretty good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Flynn Taggart posted:

Yo-Kai watch is fun and good and has a good theme song and transports me to a magical land far away where I'm not an adult anymore

I dunno man, being an adult's pretty cool

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

source??

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
my nephew is in grade 2 in Japanese school and he said Yokai are old and boring

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Why would I listen to the opinion of a Japanese school kid about a game for Japanese school kids?

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

My favorite thing about yokai is that they all sound like some bullshit a drunk guy made up

"Man the other night I was going home from the bar and I saw this dude on the side of the road right. I went up to him cos he looked kinda lost and that's when he bent over and spread his asscheeks and STARED AT ME WITH HIS SPHINCTER EYEBALL"

:nws: http://imgur.com/2Nflk7O :nws:

I really hope that one is in here actually

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Flynn Taggart posted:

My favorite thing about yokai is that they all sound like some bullshit a drunk guy made up

"Man the other night I was going home from the bar and I saw this dude on the side of the road right. I went up to him cos he looked kinda lost and that's when he bent over and spread his asscheeks and STARED AT ME WITH HIS SPHINCTER EYEBALL"

:nws: http://imgur.com/2Nflk7O :nws:

I really hope that one is in here actually

Rude of them to rip off Goatse IMO

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Violet_Sky posted:

Prolapsed anuses are covered under the creative commons license.

I'm repeating better posts on the matter, but Yo Kai is a little slower than I thought, but combat is actually pretty legit. Not from the usual tactical model we're used to, but more in terms of throwing a bunch of distractions for you to handle while the fight happens on its own, and that's kind of ok. Strategy in your team layout and tactics becomes damage control and opportunistic grabs. That's not bad. There seems to be a lot to do and explore, and no slowdown of the introduction of new facets of capturing new things. Catch YoCriminals for a 3 part passcode? Allright, I guess.

One point of criticism: Having recently come from LBX land, I am certainly tired of the recycled music already.

I am thus far obeying the traffic laws. It seems important for some reason and I want to know why.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Fix posted:

I am thus far obeying the traffic laws. It seems important for some reason and I want to know why.

Properly cross enough streets in a row and a Small Exporb appears on the other side. Improperly cross enough times in a row and... well, make sure you weren't doing anything important before trying. The bad thing is that the counters for how many you do in a row reset every time you switch areas so even if you're playing the game normally you might not ever see that Small Exporb unless you specifically try for it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Ragequit posted:

Buy Xenoblade because it is good and fun and looks pretty decent for a 3DS game that has minimal loading per giant area!

it doesn't look decent at all. it's literally the worst looking game on the 3ds. it's like saying "you look pretty good for someone who has 3rd degree burns all over your body" like, the gently caress, you look hosed up just like xenoblade 3ds

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

MMD3 posted:

The thing that bothered me the most I think about the Pokemon game is there is literally zero motivation to go exploring things because you have overpowered Pokemon and all the money you could ever need in no time.

Turn off EXP share! It ruins the game if left on.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Or if you're gonna use EXP share then have like 10 Pokemon you rotate instead of 6 because otherwise you'll end up like 10 levels above the gym leaders/elite four

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

noirstronaut posted:

it doesn't look decent at all. it's literally the worst looking game on the 3ds. it's like saying "you look pretty good for someone who has 3rd degree burns all over your body" like, the gently caress, you look hosed up just like xenoblade 3ds

The original one looked like rear end too, so

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

robodex posted:

The original one looked like rear end too, so

The 3DS version looks much assier.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I was looking for a neat timesink-game to play while listening to podcasts / audiobooks etc. and went for Rune Factory 4. Am I alone in this, or is this game kind of a hot mess?

Everything is so unpolished. Monsters (which look terrible and seem to be ripped straight from the old DS game) walk over & through the pre-rendered terrain in weird ways, some of the sprites don't even look finished (without the "broken stump"-title I'd have no idea what the brown, badly cropped mess littering my field is supposed to be) etc. Although the backgrounds are pre-rendered and the models look awful, the FPS still somehow manages to drop at times. Combat hitboxes seem like a bit of a crapshoot as well. It just feels like a haphazard flash game.

Wish I'd gone for Story of Seasons or Fantasy Life instead, but oh well. Wish the e-shop had a refund system.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

RF4 owns, but not for reasons relating to its presentation.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
you're alone.

Flynn Taggart
Jun 14, 2006

Not liking Rune factory 4 is evidence that you are a terrible person

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

Then I guess all games on the 3DS look like mutilated people. Good to know.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

MMD3 posted:

So I'm about to "beat" my first Pokemon game (Y) at age 34, I realize I'm behind on this thing but I had to give it a try and the girlfriend is playing X so it was fun. I understand the appeal but I definitely want a deeper experience for the next rpg I play. Should I pick up fire emblem? Or xenoblade? Or something else?

The thing that bothered me the most I think about the Pokemon game is there is literally zero motivation to go exploring things because you have overpowered Pokemon and all the money you could ever need in no time. I haven't used any of the perks or random consumables at all because I'm not playing competitively. I guess I just don't like rpg's that have cookie cutter buildings repeated over and over again with no reason to actually talk to people or explore things. I get that it's a game for 9 year olds, I wasn't expecting anything more than this and I get it, just not my type of rpg.

I'm guessing you were playing with the EXP share turned on. The game doesn't warn you about this, but having that thing on is easy mode. You'll massively outlevel anything in the game very quickly, unless you use a rotating stable of 10 or so Pokemon instead of the standard 6. Pokemon's difficulty actually is pretty well balanced if you don't end up massively overlevelled. You have to think about type match-ups and how to deal with a gym leader's strongest Pokemon, and all that stuff.

That said, I'll second the recommendation for Shin Megami Tensei IV. It's kinda like Pokemon, but with demons, and it's a lot harder than Pokemon. Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are also both excellent games, and I am in no way trying to deter you from trying either of them!

Dropbear posted:

Wish I'd gone for Story of Seasons or Fantasy Life instead, but oh well. Wish the e-shop had a refund system.

Definitely should have gone with Fantasy Life. Fantasy Life is good and oozes charm out of every orifice.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dropbear posted:

I was looking for a neat timesink-game to play while listening to podcasts / audiobooks etc. and went for Rune Factory 4. Am I alone in this, or is this game kind of a hot mess?

Everything is so unpolished. Monsters (which look terrible and seem to be ripped straight from the old DS game) walk over & through the pre-rendered terrain in weird ways, some of the sprites don't even look finished (without the "broken stump"-title I'd have no idea what the brown, badly cropped mess littering my field is supposed to be) etc. Although the backgrounds are pre-rendered and the models look awful, the FPS still somehow manages to drop at times. Combat hitboxes seem like a bit of a crapshoot as well. It just feels like a haphazard flash game.

RF4's a good game, but yeah, the visuals kind of reek of a project that started on the DS. Either that or having next to no budget, which is also likely.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Violet_Sky posted:

More like Goat-SEE :haw:

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Just played the Stella Glow demo, so people can't sing, what happens when they try does it sound like farts or is it completely silent or what. How do they even know what singing is anymore. If you try to sing and it sounds like animals rutting and you have no frame of reference would they think it sounds good?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Andrast posted:

The 3DS version looks much assier.

Could we shut up about this forever? It's like 300% of this thread.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'm bored and stupid and want to trade in my N3DSXL for the N3DS Happy Home Designer bundle, but I'm a little tripped up on the SD card part. I have a 64GB card right now -- how do I successfully get the digital copy of Happy Home Designer onto this 64GB card, and physically transfer it from the XL without losing anything?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

enojy posted:

I'm bored and stupid and want to trade in my N3DSXL for the N3DS Happy Home Designer bundle, but I'm a little tripped up on the SD card part. I have a 64GB card right now -- how do I successfully get the digital copy of Happy Home Designer onto this 64GB card, and physically transfer it from the XL without losing anything?

It comes as a download code. Just transfer everything, and add it when the HHD n3DS is up and running.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

It comes as a download code

Oh OK, that simplifies things a bit, but I'm still confused as to how to successfully get this 64GB card into the new unit. I can't just swap it into the new one, can I?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

enojy posted:

Oh OK, that simplifies things a bit, but I'm still confused as to how to successfully get this 64GB card into the new unit. I can't just swap it into the new one, can I?

New Nintendo 3DS Chat: Goons practicing screwing. DO A SYSTEM TRANSFER!!!!

If you do a system transfer you can just swap the SD card (provided you select that option during the transfer)

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!

enojy posted:

If it's a full-sized SD card, then no. You'll have to copy-paste everything onto a MicroSD, use the adapter with it for the original 3DS, then do a "PC-based" system transfer, it'll give you the option during the actual transfer process. Then you can pop the Micro out of the original and put it in the N3DS.

Or, if you have a stable connection and a boatload of time (like possibly hours depending on what you have on your original card), you can throw the new MicroSD into the N3DS and do a wireless transfer.

Regardless, you still have to do a system transfer.

Astro Creep fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 7, 2015

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Do we have a dedicated thread for Yokai Watch by the way? I searched but didn't notice one.

Game seems fun so far, though I still don't think I can drop any hot takes on it in honesty.

The localization leaves me scratching my head a bit, though, if only because they didn't go as all-in as they should have on converting "Springdale" to being America - which is to say, they changed names and a bit of the obvious signage, but literally everything else is still Japanese. The city itself is blatantly Japanese in design and architecture (hell, I think it's modeled after Kyoto specifically), a number of characters wear obviously Japanese clothing, your demon fusion Yo-kai fusion is handled by a literal Buddhist priest, and all the rest of the non-essential signs in places like the train station are still in Japanese, straight down to yen prices and Japanese characters being visible!

It feels even less convincing than something like, say, Phoenix Wright - at least Nick being in Not-Named-Tokyo means that large parts of his town resemble a lot of American metropolitan areas and it only gets odd when he and his crew visit the countryside. Yo-kai Watch, meanwhile, just feels really half-hearted about it all - yeah, sure, Nate is going to take his nekomata and his kappa into this abandoned Meiji-era-ish mansion, and then retrieve a fundoshi from the local onsen. And this is all happening in Springdale, USA. Sure, game. Sure.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

Do we have a dedicated thread for Yokai Watch by the way? I searched but didn't notice one.

Game seems fun so far, though I still don't think I can drop any hot takes on it in honesty.

The localization leaves me scratching my head a bit, though, if only because they didn't go as all-in as they should have on converting "Springdale" to being America - which is to say, they changed names and a bit of the obvious signage, but literally everything else is still Japanese. The city itself is blatantly Japanese in design and architecture (hell, I think it's modeled after Kyoto specifically), a number of characters wear obviously Japanese clothing, your demon fusion Yo-kai fusion is handled by a literal Buddhist priest, and all the rest of the non-essential signs in places like the train station are still in Japanese, straight down to yen prices and Japanese characters being visible!

It feels even less convincing than something like, say, Phoenix Wright - at least Nick being in Not-Named-Tokyo means that large parts of his town resemble a lot of American metropolitan areas and it only gets odd when he and his crew visit the countryside. Yo-kai Watch, meanwhile, just feels really half-hearted about it all - yeah, sure, Nate is going to take his nekomata and his kappa into this abandoned Meiji-era-ish mansion, and then retrieve a fundoshi from the local onsen. And this is all happening in Springdale, USA. Sure, game. Sure.

Eat your hamburgers, SpaceDrake.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
wait when/where do you unlock yokai fusion?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Silver Falcon posted:

Definitely should have gone with Fantasy Life. Fantasy Life is good and oozes charm out of every orifice.
I liked Fantasy Life a lot more than Rune Factory 4

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

I liked Fantasy Life a lot more than Rune Factory 4

Fantasy Life is a cool game for when you want to go out and adventure and craft things, and Rune Factory 4 is a cool game for when you want to chill with your anime friends and farm poo poo

They both have different strengths; but they are very much both Cool and Good

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Inflammatory posted:

wait when/where do you unlock yokai fusion?

After you do the aforementioned mansion and loincloth quest, to upgrade the watch for the first time. So just after the second major boss.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I like Yo-Kai Watch but I suspect I'm doing it wrong. I've only just now finished Enter Jibanyan but I've spent hours fruitlessly chasing E-rank signals on my watch while meandering towards sidequest objectives. For all my trouble, I presently only have 7 Yo-Kai.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

GlitchThief posted:

I like Yo-Kai Watch but I suspect I'm doing it wrong. I've only just now finished Enter Jibanyan but I've spent hours fruitlessly chasing E-rank signals on my watch while meandering towards sidequest objectives. For all my trouble, I presently only have 7 Yo-Kai.

No, that's pretty normal.

The recruit rate in this game is hella-low, even if you're stuffing their face with a food they like which often takes trial and error of its own.

I've found my best bet is to stall as long as possible and hope one of the little blue bubbles gives an affection boost.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Why would you even try to localize Yokai Watch at all

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If an American child sees a rice ball, they explode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Looper posted:

Why would you even try to localize Yokai Watch at all

Presumably because it's a kids game. I have no idea if a kid would care either way though.