Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Oh, there's also Undertale, which I haven't personally played but is a recent media darling. It looks a lot like Earthbound and can apparently be played completely non-violently. Might scratch her weird Japanese game itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Alright, we took a look at the suggestions and until now BIT.TRIP.RUNNER and Grow Home are her favorites, followed by Undertale.

Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing would be really great too but we don't have a DS/Wii, sadly - unless she can swipe her sister's DS. In that case, which one of the seemingly endless permutations Harvest Moon has would be the one to get? The most recent?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Oct 29, 2015

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

TorakFade posted:

My wife was asking for some "girl game" that she could play; some games she liked a lot were Katamari, Patapon, Locoroco, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Frets on Fire, The Sims. So basically old school cute platformers and weird japanese stuff.

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey); also it doesn't NEED to be a simple game, she's pretty savvy and usually becomes very good at anything she plays.

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers. I'd also like a modern look because I have watched her play Spyro and its '90s blocky graphics far too much.

Thanks in advance for any suggestion!

World of Goo from a few years ago is a really charming physics puzzle game. My ex girlfriend who wasn't really big into games absolutely loved it.

Also it only costs a couple bucks by now.

EDIT: Holy poo poo it's been seven years? loving time man, how does it work? :psyduck:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

TorakFade posted:

My wife was asking for some "girl game" that she could play; some games she liked a lot were Katamari, Patapon, Locoroco, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Frets on Fire, The Sims. So basically old school cute platformers and weird japanese stuff.

Swearing and violence are a big no-no (although rolling up people in a giant ball then shooting them in the sky to become a star or whatever Katamari is about feels kinda abusive and violent to me, but hey); also it doesn't NEED to be a simple game, she's pretty savvy and usually becomes very good at anything she plays.

Platform PC, possibly Steam, and bonus points if it's something we can play co-op - the PC is hooked to the TV and I have controllers. I'd also like a modern look because I have watched her play Spyro and its '90s blocky graphics far too much.

Buy a PS3 or PS4 because Journey is that good.

TorakFade posted:

Alright, we took a look at the suggestions and until now BIT.TRIP.RUNNER and Grow Home are her favorites, followed by Undertale.

Harvest Moon and Animal Crossing would be really great too but we don't have a DS/Wii, sadly - unless she can swipe her sister's DS. In that case, which one of the seemingly endless permutations Harvest Moon has would be the one to get? The most recent?

Any harvest moon is fine, they're all the same more or less. There's also rune factory which is the same but with RPG stuff, but I guess if violence is really verboten then harvest moon is better. (Very cartoonish violence)

There's also a couple similar games on steam. Check out stuff like

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363600/ Holy potatoes, a weapon shop?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zaphod42 posted:

There's also a couple similar games on steam. Check out stuff like

http://store.steampowered.com/app/363600/ Holy potatoes, a weapon shop?

Now that you mention it, Recettear's got a similar vibe but more cartoon violence.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

If she's a Sims fan, how about Sims Medieval? Its a lot more goal-oriented and gamey than the main Sims games and while it does have a darker sense of humour its still not violent at all! If she's a completionist it'll definitely scratch that itch too because there's so much poo poo to do in your kingdom if you want to unlock everything!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keeshhound posted:

Now that you mention it, Recettear's got a similar vibe but more cartoon violence.

Yeah I was thinking Recettear but I always forget the name of it. But Holy Potatoes is the same difference.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

TorakFade posted:

Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime, co-op game that's ridiculously cute and fairly challenging. Also on Steam.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3's horde co-op is unironically the best I've played of its kind and the servers are still well populated on PC. Not sure about PSN/XBox but I thought it deserved a mention since you can buy that game for $5 now, oh and there's some kinda story mode too.

God ME3 multiplayer is fantastic, if it had split screen local co-op it would exactly the type of game I want. I might get back into it solo anyway.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

Story of Seasons is what she wants. For a portable game the character designs are absolutely beautiful. (I bought my DS just to play Harvest Moon and haven't regretted it. There just aren't any other games that are really like it.)

I usually recommend Rune Factory 4 but it has a significant combat aspect. No blood, but lots of whacking monsters with sticks to send them back to the "forest of beginnings" because that's where monsters come from. There's a SA thread for Harvest Moon If you want a more detailed answer.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 30, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

exquisite tea posted:

Mass Effect 3's horde co-op is unironically the best I've played of its kind and the servers are still well populated on PC. Not sure about PSN/XBox but I thought it deserved a mention since you can buy that game for $5 now, oh and there's some kinda story mode too.

Where can you get this for $5?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

The basic edition was/is? on sale on origin for 5€ yeah.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Reviews so far on the ANNO 2205 are that it's dumbed down and awful :smith:. Does anyone have anything nice to say about it yet?

Fortunately waiting for a deep sale it means I give Ubisoft less money, I guess.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Most people in the SA thread seem to like it.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

IS this the thread to ask about browser based games? I'm looking for something I can play extremely casually during downtime at work. It would have to be browser based, and something that I can just load up and punch away at for a minute or two before doing more work. I'm not looking for an idle game, but idle elements aren't a deal breaker. I'd prefer it to have puzzles of sorts, if possible, or at least something to wrap my head around slightly to help me clear my mind when needed. Anyone have any recommendations?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Do you like Transport Tycoon? There is a browser version of Open TTD. I dunno if it fits the "punch at it for a few minutes" part though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

neogeo0823 posted:

IS this the thread to ask about browser based games? I'm looking for something I can play extremely casually during downtime at work. It would have to be browser based, and something that I can just load up and punch away at for a minute or two before doing more work. I'm not looking for an idle game, but idle elements aren't a deal breaker. I'd prefer it to have puzzles of sorts, if possible, or at least something to wrap my head around slightly to help me clear my mind when needed. Anyone have any recommendations?

Crawl webtiles is a good browser game. Entirely turn-based so it's easy to just drop and pick up again at any time.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
good 4x ipad games? Theres a moo2 clone called orion i like but its a bit plain. Anything better? Especially if its just moo2

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've been playing a bit of The Guild and I like the entire build a business/gain political power thing, but the cart management is getting on my nerves. Anything a bit more modern and streamlined?

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Geektox posted:

Playing through Republic Commando again. Any other games that has cool tactical military combat stuff? Aside from X-Com and what not, looking for something a little more reactionary than a turn based game but not necessarily a shooter

Have you tried Hidden and Dangerous 2? Its a tactical FPS (with optional thirdperson mode) where you controll a SAS team in WW2. First you gotta pick your team, then before each mission you can equip the men with weapons and gadgets and even different uniforms. The graphics are perhaps a bit dated, but I personally like it, and have played through it several times over the years. It features several drivable vehicles, and a neat planning mode where you can draw up elaborate movement and interaction plans on the map and activate the plan with a simple press of a button ingame.

Also Hidden and dangerous 1 is freeware now, but it hasnt aged that well.

GyverMac fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 7, 2015

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

neogeo0823 posted:

IS this the thread to ask about browser based games?

I like this HTML5 rendition of Desktop Dungeons better than the one they're actually selling. I don't like this HTML5 port of the old pre-XBLA Spelunkyas much as the new one but it's still pretty drat good.

Snackula fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 7, 2015

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fat Samurai posted:

I've been playing a bit of The Guild and I like the entire build a business/gain political power thing, but the cart management is getting on my nerves. Anything a bit more modern and streamlined?

Nothing really that would be similar to Guild. You do know you can set up automatic routes for carts though?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

grate deceiver posted:

Nothing really that would be similar to Guild. You do know you can set up automatic routes for carts though?

I know, but my OCD demands that I stockpile stuff until the price is high and sell then. Is the second game/expansion any good?

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
I have a very weird, very specific request for a game. I was wondering if there's any diablo-style loot game that plays less like a Diablo style ARPG all about clicking, and more like a Dynaster Warriors-esque hack and slash game. Something where I can slash through tons of dudes, jamming on an attack button rather then clicking on dudes. Platform isn't a big deal, just wondering if a game like this is out there to sate my desire to slash hundreds of dudes while getting magic items for my character.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Space Bat posted:

I have a very weird, very specific request for a game. I was wondering if there's any diablo-style loot game that plays less like a Diablo style ARPG all about clicking, and more like a Dynaster Warriors-esque hack and slash game. Something where I can slash through tons of dudes, jamming on an attack button rather then clicking on dudes. Platform isn't a big deal, just wondering if a game like this is out there to sate my desire to slash hundreds of dudes while getting magic items for my character.

I've actually found Diablo 3 on the 360 to fill that niche well. You directly control your character which to me is vastly preferable to the constant clicking of the PC version.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Space Bat posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 does this but it's pretty thoroughly mediocre. There's a free demo on Steam and you can decide if it's worth your 15bux.

There's also Lichdom: Battlemage where the loot system are spells you augment, but that has more of a Dark Messiah vibe to it. Really fun combat, but the story takes way too long to play through and kind of wears out its welcome.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

Shab posted:

I've actually found Diablo 3 on the 360 to fill that niche well. You directly control your character which to me is vastly preferable to the constant clicking of the PC version.

I've actually considered getting the PS4 version just for the way it seems to play. I'm just not sure if I wanna get a console version of a game I already own on PC. Thanks though.

exquisite tea posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 does this but it's pretty thoroughly mediocre. There's a free demo on Steam and you can decide if it's worth your 15bux.

There's also Lichdom: Battlemage where the loot system are spells you augment, but that has more of a Dark Messiah vibe to it. Really fun combat, but the story takes way too long to play through and kind of wears out its welcome.

I heard Lichdom was bad when it got out of EA? Did the devs manage to change it back or was it just an over exaggeration in general?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

Space Bat posted:

Maybe Divinity 2? ARPG with randomized loot rewards, and the combat seems like what you're looking for. Not as many opponents as Dynasty Warriors outside of maybe the optional portal areas though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Space Bat posted:

Kingdoms of Amalur, maybe? I think Darksiders 2 also has randomized loot.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Space Bat posted:

Phantasy Star Online. Its Japanese and a bit janky but man is it ever diablo + dynasty warriors.

Destiny is sorta in that area although its also pretty shooting focused.

Dragon's Dogma is pretty much Dynasty Warriors + Skyrim, should also be in that area. Loot drops aren't exactly like Diablo but there is loot.

Oh and for that matter maybe Monster Hunter even? Tons of loot and crafting, although no Diablo style affixes and its all about boss fights.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Fat Samurai posted:

I know, but my OCD demands that I stockpile stuff until the price is high and sell then. Is the second game/expansion any good?

I personally don't like it that much, it adds too much busywork imo. Instead of managing action points, you now control up to three family characters in real-time. The entire Guild collection is on sale on Steam right now for like 2$, so there's nothing stopping you from giving it a try. Play the Renaissance version, it's the best/most complete one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Space Bat posted:

I heard Lichdom was bad when it got out of EA? Did the devs manage to change it back or was it just an over exaggeration in general?

When the game first came out, you had to manually craft and upgrade all your spells from dropped components, which really broke up the flow of combat as you sat at every checkpoint contemplating which spells to augment. That's been patched and you can now automate the entire crafting system. 99% of the time the game will find the right pieces for whatever it is you wanna do with your spells. The combat is super cool if you like magey stuff without the usual constraints such as mana or cooldowns and I still load up NG+ every once in awhile to slay some monsters and see the pretty particle effects. Just don't expect to finish the main campaign unless you really love it, it does drag on forever.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

GyverMac posted:

Have you tried Hidden and Dangerous 2? Its a tactical FPS (with optional thirdperson mode) where you controll a SAS team in WW2. First you gotta pick your team, then before each mission you can equip the men with weapons and gadgets and even different uniforms. The graphics are perhaps a bit dated, but I personally like it, and have played through it several times over the years. It features several drivable vehicles, and a neat planning mode where you can draw up elaborate movement and interaction plans on the map and activate the plan with a simple press of a button ingame.

Also Hidden and dangerous 1 is freeware now, but it hasnt aged that well.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

---

So I plan on playing DA:I at some point soon, and I really liked DA:O but never played Awakening or 2. Are those two worth playing if I generally like playing BioWare stuff? I could always watch LPs if they're skippable and use the Dragon Age Keep thing to import my choices right? I plan on playing DA:I on PS4 and my DA:O saves are on PC anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Geektox posted:

So I plan on playing DA:I at some point soon, and I really liked DA:O but never played Awakening or 2. Are those two worth playing if I generally like playing BioWare stuff? I could always watch LPs if they're skippable and use the Dragon Age Keep thing to import my choices right? I plan on playing DA:I on PS4 and my DA:O saves are on PC anyway.

Awakenings is good, and I think is better overall than Origins.

2 is a loving mess. It does a few things well but it's got a dumb story, annoying characters, highly repetitive gameplay, and feels like it was shat out to meet a deadline (because it was shat out to meet a deadline). It does improve on a handful of things and the DLC doesn't suffer from some the issues (plus the Legacy DLC is, for some inexplicable reason, the main setup for DA:I), but fundamentally it's a bad game.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What are some games with interesting and rewarding exploration? Big world, not randomly generated, actually interesting locations. Not counting Bethesda games, maybe shooting for a little lesser known.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
The Witcher 3 maybe? That game has an absolutely huge and full world, and all of it is hand placed as opposed to randomly generated iirc

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danger Mahoney posted:

What are some games with interesting and rewarding exploration? Big world, not randomly generated, actually interesting locations. Not counting Bethesda games, maybe shooting for a little lesser known.

Have you tried Assassin's Creed 4 or AC: Rogue? Both are largely self-contained and let you go exploring vast regions with a pirate ship.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Danger Mahoney posted:

Gothic 1 + 2 and Risen 1 (by the same guys) are really, really good for this. They're open-world action-RPGs but way more "hardcore" than Bethesda's stuff - no level scaling and enemies in tough areas will kill you, a lot, but the corresponding rewards for braving danger are equally great. Gothic 2 is probably the best, but Risen 1 is the most accessible and modern while not being as poo poo as Risen 2 and 3.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Gothic 1 + 2 and Risen 1 (by the same guys) are really, really good for this. They're open-world action-RPGs but way more "hardcore" than Bethesda's stuff - no level scaling and enemies in tough areas will kill you, a lot, but the corresponding rewards for braving danger are equally great. Gothic 2 is probably the best, but Risen 1 is the most accessible and modern while not being as poo poo as Risen 2 and 3.

But a fair warning; the gothic games got some hilarious and/or aggravating bugs that may or may not have been patched. I remember buying gothic 2 on release, and it was drat near unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GyverMac posted:

But a fair warning; the gothic games got some hilarious and/or aggravating bugs that may or may not have been patched. I remember buying gothic 2 on release, and it was drat near unplayable.
I don't remember it being too bad bug-wise, fully patched and with Night of the Raven, though a relatively janky game overall.