Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
no worries. But if youre gonna take one thing from my post take the tim hay part, not the treat part :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

What's it mean when a rabbit raises its tail? Like... way up, almost along its back.

I'm worried it means "I am internally screaming, you great lunk."

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Remora posted:

What's it mean when a rabbit raises its tail? Like... way up, almost along its back.

I'm worried it means "I am internally screaming, you great lunk."

It generally means "I'm excited". It's not specifically good or bad, it really depends on the situation and whatever else they're doing at the time.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Horatio TB irdbath posted:

Your bunnies are adorable!! I contacted the previous owner and turns out she isn't spayed so I will be getting onto that in the next week because I want this floof to have a long and happy life with me and my daughter.

Thanks for the tip about the dried fruit treats, I will give that a go as I casually lie in front of her cage trying to appear nonchalant and secretly begging for her attention on the inside ha!

Roy finally came out of her cage. I woke up this morning to to the sounds of bunny mayem :3

Here she is with her breakfast!

I can't deal with this one floppy ear

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I thought it meant "I'm'a pee."

I mean, pee usually follows a raised tail, unless we're talking about two different rear end emotes.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
My rabbit did a thing and the internet likes it more than it's liked anything else I've ever put online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEdR0GGrdDA

Pia is the more shy/quiet of my two buns by a significant margin so I really love seeing her visibly happy! Her binkying is the cutest :3:

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Cute bunny, great snort laugh.

Also, be wary. She now knows she can reach your face.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I've been buying local hay lately because it's much much cheaper - $5 for a 50lb bale vs $60 for hay shipped from KMS. The farmers are great, but not when it comes to telling me exactly what's in it because most of their hay fields are rented. Today I grabbed a third cut bale and was excited until I got home and I realized it's alfalfa. :doh: Now I have to watch them like a hawk until I can get back to the farm next week for more of the right stuff. Anyone else ever have this happen?

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I need some advise.

Several months ago I moved cross country from Massachusetts to California to be back with family. I took Bunny Hass with me and we are currently living with my mom. However, Bunny Hass did what bunnies do best and started digging up parts of the carpet flooring and now my mom is making me get rid of Bunny Hass. She is about 5-6 six years old now and I want to take her someplace where I know she will be alright. Does anyone know of a good rescue/ home I can take her to around the Sacramento region?

I'm actually really not happy with my mother as she has a history of taking pets to shelters/ rescues that she has grown tired of.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

voodoonoid posted:

I need some advise.

Several months ago I moved cross country from Massachusetts to California to be back with family. I took Bunny Hass with me and we are currently living with my mom. However, Bunny Hass did what bunnies do best and started digging up parts of the carpet flooring and now my mom is making me get rid of Bunny Hass. She is about 5-6 six years old now and I want to take her someplace where I know she will be alright. Does anyone know of a good rescue/ home I can take her to around the Sacramento region?

I'm actually really not happy with my mother as she has a history of taking pets to shelters/ rescues that she has grown tired of.

I don't have an answer for you in Sacramento, but as a last resort, SaveABunny in Marin County is a no-kill rabbit shelter that takes all the rabbits the other local shelters refuse. I imagine there's someone closer, but they're a backup.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

voodoonoid posted:

However, Bunny Hass did what bunnies do best and started digging up parts of the carpet flooring and now my mom is making me get rid of Bunny Hass.

What kind of pen or cage is Hass kept in? Is she ruining the floors inside or outside of that cage, or both? Do you think your mom would give Hass another chance if you can try to counteract the behavior? I've seen other people make cheap digging boxes out of under-bed storage containers and sand or some other safe materials to discourage digging at and chewing up carpeted floors. Also, a myriad of toys that Bunny isn't used to to help counteract boredom, if that might be the case. At any rate, I'd hope that your mother might listen to reason and agree to keep the rabbit in a familiar home rather than spending who knows how long in a shelter waiting for another family. But at the end of the day, it is her home and her say I guess :(

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
Nothing to see here

voodoonoid fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 27, 2015

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
is bun hass spayed? destructive behavior like that can often be helped a lot by the procedure if she's not.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet knocked the treat box off the table. I caught on camera what followed

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

I spent 4 hours the other night trimming and zip-tying linoleum to create a new floor for my rabbit pen. It took way too long and isn't as neat looking as coroplast would have been, but it was a LOT cheaper this way. It may look more ghetto-fab than the prior carpeted floor but they hate the vacuum so goddamn much. I had to do something for all of our sanity to make cleaning easier. So far they hate it, but aren't sliding around as much as I feared they would. I have a large grass mat in there now along with the rest of their hides and toys. I do need a hay manger if anyone has ideas on what I can use. I've tried boxes, bins and metal shallow dishes. Nothing works to keep it corralled so far.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Rabbit ate yoga mat - is this a cause for concern? Anything I should watch for?

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

peach moonshine posted:

Rabbit ate yoga mat - is this a cause for concern? Anything I should watch for?

How much of it? Since it is Sunday, I would just keep a very close eye on the behavior and frequency of eating/drinking/pooping. If anything is abnormal, get to an e-vet. If you feel everything is normal and the rabbit is "fine" then you can wait until morning, but call your vet asap to get in for an exam. Rabbit health can go south very quickly. I've had rabbits eat plastic, rubber, carpeting, etc and always follow up that behavior with a vet visit. Overkill? Maybe. But a $90 checkup is cheaper than a surgery that may or may not work.

Rabbits are sneaky troublemakers, and unfortunately quite fragile.

peach moonshine
Jan 18, 2015
Thanks for the heads-up, I'll ask the vet tomorrow. She ate a piece about the size of a thumb nail. She's tried to nibble at the stupid thing a hundred times before, but I always caught her in the act. This time, I got distracted and left the mat sitting out for over an hour - I'm lucky she didn't eat more of it. Must not have liked the taste.

So far everything seems normal.

Windy
Feb 8, 2004

Relatively small then, so that's good. My past rabbits have had a tendency to cause a large amount of damage within a minute of turning my back. Even my current two are destructive as hell if I'm not on top of them at every second, but I blame their former family. I'm sure you have a good rapport with your vet so he/she should be able to tell you whether there is anything to be truly concerned about. :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, my mother, because she loves and spoils the furface, made her a nice fancy ladies hat.

Harriet actually liked it and did not destroy it yet.

(Yes, this is the sequel to the bow)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, my mother, because she loves and spoils the furface, made her a nice fancy ladies hat.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Don't worry. I removed it from the floor where she chucked it, and put it out of her reach. She seemed happy enough with it.

(I am going to come home and die aren't i?)

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

bunnyofdoom posted:

That is the face of a bunny plotting revenge.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Mr Confetti posted:

That is the face of a bunny plotting revenge.

There's a visible face? Looks like a tribble in a jaunty chapeau to me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

If you squint you can make out the rage.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cilantro being herself

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Why do all sables look the same? That could easily be a picture of Pavel.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro being herself

.....How has she not destroyed the box containing the hay yet?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Sorry for the double post but Harriet doesn't like me doing homework

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
We're looking into getting a pet and my wife's friend is apparently raving about rabbits being great pets. I've got no real experience with them. He claims his rabbits like being picked up and don't chew things much, which are both contradicting what I've read on the internet. Maybe he is just really awesome at keeping rabbits? We also have a 4 year old who would go crazy for a rabbit, but I'm worried she would scare it. She will definitely be gentle petting a rabbit or other animal at a petting zoo or someone else's home, but I'm not sure she can remember to be consistently gentle and respectful to an animal she has daily access to. I have experience with cats and like them, so personally I am leaning that direction for a pet, but I'm curious to hear from more rabbit people since this friend is so enthusiastic about his rabbits.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Some rabbits tolerate being picked up, some rabbits don't chew much. That is not, however, the smart money. You are also probably correct on all points regarding your child.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I'm a cat person who ended up regretting getting a rabbit and wished I had just gone with a cat. They're like polar opposites in terms of what to expect from your pet.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Bloodnose posted:

I'm a cat person who ended up regretting getting a rabbit and wished I had just gone with a cat. They're like polar opposites in terms of what to expect from your pet.

Could you elaborate on that?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Could you elaborate on that?

They are prey animals so they behave differently.

Things my rabbits did-
They did not like being picked up
They only want to be petted on their schedule
They make
They chew
They dig
They run around like idiots
They destroy whatever they can in hopes it might be edible
They bit
They scratch
They consider you stupid for not understanding what they are telling you and WILL hold a grudge
They did not like their cage being cleaned or messed with
They did not like loud noises or you carrying things
They did not like strangers

They WERE however wonderful little bastards.myou just have to like their different personalities.

They really are not children's pets. They will bite and scratch and hurt a child who just wants to love it.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Cats are largely self-reliant predators who easily become very affectionate towards humans and love curling up with them and being petted. This isn't always a guaranteed outcome with cats, but I've owned 6 in my life and they all turned out this way.

Rabbits are prey animals that are instinctively terrified of everything and will die if you're not very carefully and very properly caring for them. They have no instinct toward affection for humans, they generally hate being touched by humans, and generally avoid being near them.

Now there are plenty of examples in this thread of buns that have grown comfortable with their humans and bonded well with them and will even seek out pets and cuddles. I would wager maybe... $50 that none of those examples included a 4 year old. Bonding a rabbit is a slow process that requires tremendous patience and trust building and is never guaranteed to happen. And even if you do it completely properly, you might end up with an rear end in a top hat territorial bunny who thanks to your careful trust building now thinks he is king boss of the world.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Thanks, those are basically the issues I expected with rabbits before my wife's rabbit-whisperer friend claimed they are just as affectionate and easygoing as cats. I wasn't aware that rabbits could be litter box trained, so I thought maybe I had them all wrong. They sound like interesting pets for the patient and those without young kids, but not for us. I think I'll be looking for a chill young-adult cat (who can easily jump to a nice high ledge out of a 4 year old's reach when she wants to).

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

As everyone said, rabbits are a roll of the dice and probably not what you are after.

My house rabbit was basically a puppy. He'd follow you around, fall asleep under my chair, beg for treats. Other than not liking being picked up, he was very easy going and chill. When we went to buy him there was a big pile of baby rabbits, which all scattered when I got close, revealing another rabbit underneath who had been sat on who couldn't be arsed to run away. We bought him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Thanks, those are basically the issues I expected with rabbits before my wife's rabbit-whisperer friend claimed they are just as affectionate and easygoing as cats. I wasn't aware that rabbits could be litter box trained, so I thought maybe I had them all wrong. They sound like interesting pets for the patient and those without young kids, but not for us. I think I'll be looking for a chill young-adult cat (who can easily jump to a nice high ledge out of a 4 year old's reach when she wants to).
They're difficult but very rewarding pets, but you have a young child so it's pretty much completely out.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

shmee posted:

When we went to buy him there was a big pile of baby rabbits, which all scattered when I got close, revealing another rabbit underneath who had been sat on who couldn't be arsed to run away. We bought him.

this was the correct decision

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Gentlemen and ladies, for years, you have asked for Harriet to wear a santa hat. Even my PI SS sent me one for Harriet to wear. Finally, after trapping her, I got her to wear the drat hat.

BEHOLD

(And yes, that had was savaged)