Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Does anyone play WMMA? I kinda like it, but I'm mainly just booking cards and advancing a week or two at a time. I'm not sure if I'm missing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SpaceWolfPurrp posted:

couldn't you just DQ yourself and make it easier that way

or is a five star match required for some of these

My current one is, I believe, a 4 star affair with Dolph, then put him over via pinfall.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

You don't get match boosts from being wailed on (probably a balance issue), however you will gain a significant amount of star wattage from late-match pin kickouts. I can't tell exactly what the "bolded" part of the kickout meter is supposed to give you if you hit it but I assume it's either extra momentum or match rating juice.

Also, making kickouts advance momentum was a smart move, they put a lot of thought into how to make matches less one-sided. The real advantage to the reversal limit is that it prevents the game from breaking completely when you've mastered reversal timing.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Watching Extreme Rules in Universe Mode, Sheamus (c) vs. Stardust for the US Title.

Cole in game: Listen to the WWE Universe! It's reactions like that that have Superstars enjoying coming to Baltimore!

Me, watching the game: The display card said Tampa, you idiot!

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

Basic Chunnel posted:

You don't get match boosts from being wailed on (probably a balance issue), however you will gain a significant amount of star wattage from late-match pin kickouts. I can't tell exactly what the "bolded" part of the kickout meter is supposed to give you if you hit it but I assume it's either extra momentum or match rating juice.

Seems to make you get up faster. Hitting that seems to make you get up at the same time as the guy with the pin attempt, where just hitting the darker area has them get up and able to inflict more pain on you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Oh, poo poo I meant to ask! Is it any easier to make old-looking people in 2k16, or do you still need to upload a face texture to get wrinkles?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

ShadowedFlames posted:

Watching Extreme Rules in Universe Mode, Sheamus (c) vs. Stardust for the US Title.

Cole in game: Listen to the WWE Universe! It's reactions like that that have Superstars enjoying coming to Baltimore!

Me, watching the game: The display card said Tampa, you idiot!

Its not a glitch. Tampa is a complete poo poo-hole compared to even baltimore.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

It's interesting hearing pretty glowing reviews here, as opposed to the Giant Bombcast guys just burying the game.

I trust the opinions more here, but Dan is a huge wrestling fan and hates the game so it's interesting to hear the difference of opinion

This is the yearly cycle in PSP. New game comes out, everyone buys it and is all "Hey, this actually feels like an improvement this year," then a month later everyone realizes it's still the same old broken poo poo from Yuke's.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Timby posted:

This is the yearly cycle in PSP. New game comes out, everyone buys it and is all "Hey, this actually feels like an improvement this year," then a month later everyone realizes it's still the same old broken poo poo from Yuke's.

You forgot the parts where everyone swears it'll still be poo poo next year so they won't buy it, and then gets fooled by exactly 2 "new" features hyped next year, and then buys it, repeat

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Yukes really needs to dump showcase mode and put all that effort into animating new moves by hand, making the gameplay fun again and ripping off the better parts of Raw 2's career mode (like dropping boxes on enemies and tricking Crash Holly into beating up the Undertaker)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwu4BtjupRs

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Yukes really needs to dump showcase mode and put all that effort into animating new moves by hand, making the gameplay fun again and ripping off the better parts of Raw 2's career mode (like dropping boxes on enemies and tricking Crash Holly into beating up the Undertaker)
The gameplay is fun this year

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Basic Chunnel posted:

Yeah, this is most natural feeling matches I've experienced since a lot of japanese PS2 wrestling games.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

this is also something that's been said every year.

Well, every year except 08 or 09 or whatever it was? The two in a row where they were just like hilariously inexcusably heinously bad to an indefensible extent.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I didn't play the last couple generations, has switching targets in the middle of a 'stun somebody, rebound, and hit the move' finisher always been a thing? I had both members of the Ascension down and Warrior splashed the wrong one, then a few hours later this happened.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

hardest part of this game hitting a sweet dusty finish.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

LvK posted:

this is also something that's been said every year.

Well, every year except 08 or 09 or whatever it was? The two in a row where they were just like hilariously inexcusably heinously bad to an indefensible extent.

I don't recall people saying 2k15's was fun. I heard more gripes about the new mechanics than anything.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I had hoped we were done with the phase in these games where you got cheevos by jobbing, and now jobbing is a thing you have to do all the time. Imagine literally any other game regularly telling you that you have to lose in order to progress.

Twisted Eye
Jan 6, 2011

absolutely perfect

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

this should be the thread title

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The new 2K16 patch completely busted Tyler Breeze's entrance. It killed his tron.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

his only weakness

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

his only weakness

Well that and diverticulitis

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I had hoped we were done with the phase in these games where you got cheevos by jobbing, and now jobbing is a thing you have to do all the time. Imagine literally any other game regularly telling you that you have to lose in order to progress.
Progression isn't contingent on following authority orders, it's just cooler to be a heel.

modern villian
May 4, 2009

It's a career mode in a wrestling game. I love that stupid realism. Plus when you refuse to do the order, it's like your wrestler is breaking the script. Imagine video game Vince losing his poo poo in video game gorilla

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

There is no scenario where losing on purpose in a video game to get a bonus is not dumb.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

There is no scenario where losing on purpose in a video game to get a bonus is not dumb.

Achievement "Be nice to your little brother"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

oh boy are we getting some posts about ludonarrative dissonance in wrestling video games

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Vince Russo is the Ken Levine of wrestling, if you really think about it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Actually having a game whose selling point is "you can be a wrestler" and then being told you have to be a good little independent contractor and put over the golden boy is extremely good. WWE 2K16 and even Wrestling Revolution understand this.

Also how do you feel about unwinnable bosses in RPGs or the end of Halo Reach or etc.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Hold on, you're telling me that to give the audience an entertaining match...I have to lose sometimes!? What the gently caress!!!!!

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit
I never knew that if you have two finishers stored in a rumble and approach someone trying to eliminate someone else that if you use it you instantly eliminate them both. I bet that it's been in a few games and I just missed it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

unwinnable bosses in RPGs

Have always been garbage

quote:

or the end of Halo Reach or etc.

Substantively different than being asked to stomp a guy with every move you have (the only barometer of whether a match gets five snowflakes in this game) and then actually lose on purpose for him--substantively different than any of your comparisons--because "realism" according to goons

On top of everything else, "I can't wait to experience WWE's amazing godawful booking that makes everyone look bad as if I were really there," said no one ever.

Or am I to take it that the Stockholm Syndrome of wrestling fans has actually gotten so bad that you actually enjoy jobbing for Triple H?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Lady Naga posted:

Hold on, you're telling me that to give the audience an entertaining match...I have to lose sometimes!? What the gently caress!!!!!
In fairness, winning a match is always better for you, mechanically speaking, than losing. It's just that once in awhile the kayfabe heel boss tells you to take a dive. This would be a problem if you were substantially punished for failing / refusing, but you don't. The "bonus" you got typically just offsets the SP loss you take for losing. So it doesn't really matter. All you really gain is heel cred, or whatever

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I started playing myCareer on NBA 2K15, and was not immediately put in the hall of fame! This made me confused and angry!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Have always been garbage

Substantively different than being asked to stomp a guy with every move you have (the only barometer of whether a match gets five snowflakes in this game) and then actually lose on purpose for him--substantively different than any of your comparisons--because "realism" according to goons

On top of everything else, "I can't wait to experience WWE's amazing godawful booking that makes everyone look bad as if I were really there," said no one ever.

Or am I to take it that the Stockholm Syndrome of wrestling fans has actually gotten so bad that you actually enjoy jobbing for Triple H?
You can take video games too seriously or you can take prograps politics too seriously. Putting them together just makes you look like a goon.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

being asked to lose in a game like wwe 16 is dumb because every other part of the game mechanics point to it acting more like a real competition. being asked to lose only makes sense if the mechanics are literally about setting up an entertaining match and not trying to actually pin or submit your opponent

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Nov 9, 2015

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MisterGBH posted:

I never knew that if you have two finishers stored in a rumble and approach someone trying to eliminate someone else that if you use it you instantly eliminate them both. I bet that it's been in a few games and I just missed it.

I don't know if you still can, and the AI over the last few years rarely has two guys try for an elimination on one guy at the same time, but at least in a relatively recent one, for a certain amount of finishers you could dump all three of them at once.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

You can also just NOT lose the match if you want. The sp bonuses aren't all that good in the long run. Reminder: this is also the game that gives you the option to join the Hall Of Fame by being a perpetual midcarder, so who gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

super macho dude posted:

Reminder: this is also the game that gives you the option to join the Hall Of Fame by being a perpetual midcarder,

so it's more realistic than i thought? good to know