Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Phoenixan posted:

this thing damaged the gently caress out of my table and can't work worth a drat on the road because of how it charges and works as a tablet, but it looks like a tie!

the most sense i can make out of their bad decisions here is that management really really wanted to make a good tablet-sized tablet, because gotta catch up with cupertino. but they've been forced to abandon surface rt, because terrible dumpster fire. instead of doing the sensible thing (giving up on thin light x86 tablets until intel gets its poo poo together), they built a lovely thin(-ish) x86 surface that gets only 3 hrs on battery (when said batter is brand new, expect loltastic life after a year or 2) and then tried to solve the obvious problems with that by adding the keyboard base. but now the tablet is kinda anchored to the base if you want to actually use it for anything and this makes it a giant pile of contradictory product ideas.

sounds like it's mostly well engineered and polished, but if you want to actually out-apple apple, your flagship product has to be excellent at being one thing instead of jack of all and master of none

also the hinge is fugly. would not be surprised if it's a thing that breaks a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

univbee posted:

his follow-up video with benchmarks showed the mbp blew it the gently caress away despite being a "slower" i7. it turns out, the surface book has a dual core i7, didn't know that was even a thing

the top processor in the 13" macbook pro is an i7 too

in fact i think all the comparisons to the mbp microsoft has made has a *13-inch model in 1pt font at the bottom lmao

e: everything about the surface book seems like it was created with the sole purpose of trying to resolve the "awkward to use on your lap" complaint about the surface pro

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

univbee posted:

his follow-up video with benchmarks showed the mbp blew it the gently caress away despite being a "slower" i7. it turns out, the surface book has a dual core i7, didn't know that was even a thing

it's been a thing for like 4 or 5 years, i think it was sandy bridge where intel introduced low power dual-core i7 for ultrabooks

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

BobHoward posted:

it's been a thing for like 4 or 5 years, i think it was sandy bridge where intel introduced low power dual-core i7 for ultrabooks

my haswell one has an i7, 4578U i think

not all that common

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
lol just watched the vid. amazing that you keep having to keep in mind that the surfacebook is actually more expensive, so you can't even go on the "b-b-b-but crapple tax!!" defense

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

the top processor in the 13" macbook pro is an i7 too

yeah, he wanted to get a 13" to do the comparison with but the apple store was out of stock

and then the video goes on and he benchmarks his "business desktops" he uses for his photography business (1 was as slow as the Surface Book, the other was slightly faster than the Macbook) and they're $4000 alienware machines :stare:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

there are, and they're huge. there's two rubber feet that each run the whole width of the keyboard.

it seems like the probably comes from the imbalance of the device, like whenever you move the hinge area hits the table and the magnesium case leaves residue

i imagine if you used this on a nice wood table you'd be hosed.
he shows in the video that when its open the hinge hits the table

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

PleasureKevin posted:

the more you think about it, the worse this gets. want to pack light for an over-night trip by leaving the keyboard at home? sorry, you can't charge the tablet part without the keyboard cause the power connector is on the keyboard. which would be fine if the battery life was 10 hours like the iPad, but it's only 3.

wait, what?

both the tablet part and the keyboard part have SurfaceConnect ports; the tablet's SurfaceConnect can't charge the tablet?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

wait, what?

both the tablet part and the keyboard part have SurfaceConnect ports; the tablet's SurfaceConnect can't charge the tablet?
that's correct. unless the base is plugged in, the tablet won't charge. and there's no power outlet on the tablet. but you can flip the screen around and plug it in and use it that way, but lol why would anyone do that

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

if you think that's bad, they don't call it a tablet, it is Clipboard

Clipboard attaches to a keyboard

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

that's correct. unless the base is plugged in, the tablet won't charge. and there's no power outlet on the tablet. but you can flip the screen around and plug it in and use it that way, but lol why would anyone do that

no, you don't understand.

the charging/data port on the keyboard is a Surface Connect port.

the data port that connects the tablet to the keyboard is a Surface Connect port.

you're telling me that you can plug the power adapter into the Surface Connect port on the tablet and the tablet won't charge.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

no, you don't understand.

the charging/data port on the keyboard is a Surface Connect port.

the data port that connects the tablet to the keyboard is a Surface Connect port.

you're telling me that you can plug the power adapter into the Surface Connect port on the tablet and the tablet won't charge.
that's what everyone says

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
lol

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
guess it is a thing you can do

looks p weird though

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

of course it looks weird, the charge cable was designed by idiots

pram
Jun 10, 2001
this thing is a piece of poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001
and also superfluous considering its competing with the surface for literally the same market

Ice_2_c_u
Sep 13, 2002

as you can see, THIS is why Microsoft is cool aga- wait where are you going?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

anthonypants posted:

that's what everyone says

i think what he was saying was that it wouldn't siphon power from the base's batteries to recharge the tablet

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
windows does what?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

political correctness does what

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

PleasureKevin posted:

is there anything cool you can do with these, like are there any good apps for windows still?

the rt2 is marginally good enough to be your nightstand computer if you aimlessly browse webpages and watch video and that's it

you can get refurb airs for ~300 though and i bet a refurb surface 3 w/o kb has to be in the 3-400 range and they work with the much better keyboard from this year so idk who these are for

like, a kid can get a $50 fire to watch cartoons on prime

maybe a cookbook tablet but they're the wrong ratio

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

PleasureKevin posted:

the more you think about it, the worse this gets. want to pack light for an over-night trip by leaving the keyboard at home? sorry, you can't charge the tablet part without the keyboard cause the power connector is on the keyboard.

y... you're kidding me

right?

quote:

which would be fine if the battery life was 10 hours like the iPad, but it's only 3.

lol stfu no it wouldn't

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i also learned from holding one that you can't be running photoshop and detach it into tablet mode if you have the one with the gpu. you have to save your work, close photoshop, detach tablet, reopen photoshop

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Phoenixan posted:

i also learned from holding one that you can't be running photoshop and detach it into tablet mode if you have the one with the gpu. you have to save your work, close photoshop, detach tablet, reopen photoshop

lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Phoenixan posted:

:shepface:

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
when you press the button to detach, it waits for programs using the gpu to stop using the gpu

of course, with all things on windows, this doesn't mean that they have to honor this request and just hold onto it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the Windows ecosystem is such poo poo

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Phoenixan posted:

holy poo poo is this true

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this is naturally all adobe's fault so maybe we'll see a fix with cc 2016

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Phoenixan posted:

when you press the button to detach, it waits for programs using the gpu to stop using the gpu

of course, with all things on windows, this doesn't mean that they have to honor this request and just hold onto it

tbh it's a small miracle that Windows itself can handle hotplugging pci express devices without a bsod

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Phoenixan posted:

does it at least tell you what's using your gpu

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phoenixan posted:

guess it is a thing you can do

I think it would be cool to have a device like a Cintiq to draw digitally on the go but ever since the first surface Microsoft has been cheaping out and getting cheap piece of poo poo digitizer pens so so much for that cool niche feature I guess.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Dubstep Jesus posted:

does it at least tell you what's using your gpu
didn't see any indication at the time, other than "it's being used" on the key light so unless you get to enable the nvidia driver notifier or there's something in the task manager that i missed, no

something to look into if i win a surfacebook with my bingbux

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

lol my get-wandows10-cheap adventure continues. just finished running all the updates to w7sp1 in my vm and somehow the "please upgrade now oh god our adoption rate is abysmal" nagware isn't even working. the relevant kb#s are installed but i don't have poo poo in my systray pestering me to upgrade, v disappointed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncurable mlady posted:

tbh it's a small miracle that Windows itself can handle hotplugging pci express devices without a bsod

looking at thunderbolt it causes a bsod 80% of the time

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

i feel bad for the fstoppers guy, because for some reason he's obviously been told to say nice things about the surface book, but the MBP floors it in terms of design and performance and he's absolutely struggling to find a reason to buy it.

"this is exciting tech and you can draw on the screen" isn't really cutting it when you didn't even cover the stylus part, but isn't that based on old lovely tech that the iPad Pro blows out the water at a fraction of the cost anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

angry_keebler posted:

you can get refurb airs for ~300 though
at first I thought you meant a refurb macbook air for $300 and I was like wtf

• Locked thread