Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

I just started using shield weapons and they feel almost too good. The only downside is being unable to effectively deal with stormvermin, but you can still keep a mob of them tied up indefinitely. Seems like a fair trade.

The easy solution is to just carry a handgun, because it will oneshot stormvermin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I just started using shield weapons and they feel almost too good. The only downside is being unable to effectively deal with stormvermin, but you can still keep a mob of them tied up indefinitely. Seems like a fair trade.

Their secondary is a bit overpowered if I'm honest.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Inside Out Mom posted:

The purpose of this game is reading new and unusual crash logs. Seriously. Can't go more than a few minutes without a crash. I love this game when it works but I have a hard time booting it up these days knowing it's just going to fall apart. :(

Update your graphics drivers, one of my friends was having the same problem but just toughing it out and getting mad when it crashed until he eventually actually read a crash log and saw it was a shader error. Updated the drivers and no crashes again since.

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

The charged attack released quickly kills stormvermin in 4-6 hits on nightmare with an orange one, and hits all stormvermin in front of you while also stun locking them permanently. It's pretty effective.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Are you the dwarf or the soldier? I have an orange axe and shield on my dwarf and Stormvermin go down pretty easy with strikes to the head. You aren't going to do much beyond staggering with a mace.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Soldier. I have a blue sword/shield with 20% regen stamina on hit and 9.5% to regent 5% health on normal hit. Hard to move away from that.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
In defense of the people who use the beam (ugh, I know, I can hardly believe I'm saying it myself), I have been having a really hard time in Nightmare mode recently. And, because I've been having a hard time actually finishing things, I didn't have a single orange item and a very, very underwhelming set of trinkets. Out of desperation for that little extra edge I started farming Horn a bit, because I was frustrated and figured there were a lot of losing fights I could've won with just a bit more 'oomph'.

Today, I insisted to the group we not use the beam on one of our runs.... and we took a poison orb right to the middle of the group as we were defending under the awning. We wiped, completely wasted all of the time up to that point, and I got made to look extra stupid because I was the one who'd insisted on it. And because the loot system works the way it does.... yeah, absolute wash trying to accomplish the one thing I was there for.

I love killing rats, but I am rapidly becoming less fond of getting the job 90% done and receiving nothing for it. And it's happened a lot recently.

So yeah, the next run, I used the drat beam.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Backhand posted:

So yeah, the next run, I used the drat beam.

Won't you just have the same problem if you get gassed on the beam?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I was in a pub run where people insisted on using the beam and before the horde even started the game kept generating tongs of gunners and gas rats. I can only assume that's intentional.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

Skandranon posted:

Won't you just have the same problem if you get gassed on the beam?

Not really, actually. On the beam they can only come at you from one direction, and you don't have hordes to distract you from spotting and shooting them.

I'm not proud of it, but it got me the orange sword and board I'd been literally dying for, so I'd say it was worthwhile.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Backhand posted:

Not really, actually. On the beam they can only come at you from one direction, and you don't have hordes to distract you from spotting and shooting them.

I'm not proud of it, but it got me the orange sword and board I'd been literally dying for, so I'd say it was worthwhile.

If you want an easy ending you could just play Engines of War.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

if you cheese with the beam instead of (at the very least) holding out under the awning, trade in your rat bashing stick because you're loving fired

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Skandranon posted:

If you want an easy ending you could just play Engines of War.

Or the rest of the long form maps. Any of them tbh.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I was having trouble putting this into words so here's an image-based strategy guide to crossing the pit in the left warehouse of Waterfront:

Image key: red is bad route, blue is good route and/or deadly water.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

There's nothing like wiping because of rats falling on your head.

I found out about that route when I tried the jump, got pushed onto the edge, and got picked up just in time to get landed on by a stormvermin which threw me out into the instadeath water.

Good times.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

sirtommygunn posted:

I was having trouble putting this into words so here's an image-based strategy guide to crossing the pit in the left warehouse of Waterfront:

Image key: red is bad route, blue is good route and/or deadly water.

rats hitting you and stopping you dead in the air mid-jump on that red route every time, it's like something out of mario kart :bang:

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Run is going great, our Heroic Killing Blow elf managed to one-shot a Rogre, a fourth buddy joins in progress, wanders off, gets Packmastered, and we die trying to save him.

Ugh.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Are fire pistols rarer than the other ranged weapons? My dwarf only buddy hasn't gotten any and he's close to 30.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

After getting nothing for WH for rolls and rolls, finally got: an orange crossbow, a blue hatchet and a blue flamberg. Feels pretty good. Mostly health/ammo on kill stuff, enhanced movespeed will zoomed on the crossbow. It's no instant kill but I'll take all of it.

Today was a good day.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
There is also the issue of hard collisions in which a rat blocks your path because the game says he is/will be there.

Sorry guys, I guess I'll miss this jump and die because a loving non-existent rat who is still climbing up got in my way!

By the way a lot of people seem confused when I mention hard and soft collisions. A soft collision is when you can run into or through the space another thing is occupying such as your teammates. The game is quite aggressive in moving you out of people's spaces so that you can't just back into a corner and shiva stack the poo poo out of everything like you could in L4D.

A hard collision is like a rat. You can't walk through them at all. Like L4D you need to kill or push whatever is blocking your movement.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Grondoth posted:

Are fire pistols rarer than the other ranged weapons? My dwarf only buddy hasn't gotten any and he's close to 30.

I'm not going to say yes or no, but in my experience I've seen handguns and shotguns more then drakefires

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This rogre got stuck in the wall somehow and couldn't get out, we didn't even have bombs that could have knocked it in there so I'm not sure how it happened.

xthetenth posted:

There's nothing like wiping because of rats falling on your head.

I found out about that route when I tried the jump, got pushed onto the edge, and got picked up just in time to get landed on by a stormvermin which threw me out into the instadeath water.

Good times.

This exact thing happened to me the first time I played this level. There were two bots and they jumped after me and within 5 seconds we were all hanging from the edge.

Night10194 posted:

That finale isn't even hard! It's just fun! Why the hell are they such cowards?

We got dumped on by six Stormvermin, two Globadiers, and a Runner while fighting off the horde in that finale and it was great fun beating them and getting out with a grimoire and tomes. Why would they not want to actually play the game?

It's not just pubbies either, the first level I played with goons was on hard horn of magnus and they made me go up and use the horn by myself while they all hid in the ammo room below the event (they were levels 25-55 IIRC and I was under 10). Well done team

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Gestalt Intellect posted:

It's not just pubbies either, the first level I played with goons was on hard horn of magnus and they made me go up and use the horn by myself while they all hid in the ammo room below the event (they were levels 25-55 IIRC and I was under 10). Well done team

This happened to me in literally my very first game ever, only on normal and not with goons.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My first game we had no idea what we were doing and a rogre spawned in the courtyard of the guardhouse at Horn, as our very first special.

It was hilarious.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Metos posted:

Update your graphics drivers, one of my friends was having the same problem but just toughing it out and getting mad when it crashed until he eventually actually read a crash log and saw it was a shader error. Updated the drivers and no crashes again since.

I wish it was that simple. I've reinstalled the game multiple times, reinstalled the newest graphics drivers with DDU multiple times, verified game cache, and went through the laundry list of procedures the tech working my trouble tickets gave me, and I still get crashes pretty regularly. Guess I'll have to keep trying and hoping an update fixes things.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I had no crashes in 13 hours of play, just noticed there's more graphics settings if you scroll down and turned off AA, motion blur, SSAO and light shafts and then crashed within 10 minutes. Going to try turning them on one at a time and see if one of those options being off might somehow cause crashes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

But Not Tonight posted:

if you cheese with the beam instead of (at the very least) holding out under the awning, trade in your rat bashing stick because you're loving fired

If I'm in a random pub game and they all want to use some stupid exploit I'm just going to go along with it because it's not worth my time or effort to waste time arguing with people like that.

If I'm with my friends we're going to man up.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Was just in a public group on hard horn of magnus that made me be a loving sacrifice AGAIN except this time I was kruber with my new green mace and shield and I just lasted by myself with 1/3 of my max health the whole 5 minutes while they hid under the event like babies, all 10-30 levels higher than me. Someday I'll find a group that will actually play the loving game.

Admittedly I was very lucky that no specials came after me.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

I did normal wheat and chaff with a group of very patient pubbies.

I discovered that the shield and axe is as beastly as claimed, which was good because I saw more stormvermin than I had seen in my entire playtime up to that point.

I really, really don't like the crossbow for some reason, and I think that reason is because it's not the handgun. I may run around with the shotgun for a while for laughs.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I never want to play horn of magnus agai-

"We need to raise the alarm and give the town a fightin' chance!"

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Was just in a public group on hard horn of magnus that made me be a loving sacrifice AGAIN except this time I was kruber with my new green mace and shield and I just lasted by myself with 1/3 of my max health the whole 5 minutes while they hid under the event like babies, all 10-30 levels higher than me. Someday I'll find a group that will actually play the loving game.

Me and a buddy were playing our first Nightmare on Horn, with pubbies, three tomes, one grimoire. It was all good until we reached the end and they start talking about who should be the sacrifice in chat. I say "gently caress that" in Skype and jump down, and my friend follows suit, forcing them to all to actually fight the swarm or risk losing those precious books. I plant myself on the stairs and get yelled at to hang back on the beam. The joke of it is that the elevator arrives and I jump directly into it from that balcony while the pubs get tarpitted trying to go after a tome my friend dropped when he died seconds before. They go down, so does the elevator, and I make one mad dash to the carriage, alone.

I dunno, I think I got a green or something.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Nightmare, even just playing Ramparts some to get used to the difficulty, is really good about forcing you to learn the game's concepts pretty well or else killing the gently caress out of you.

It's fun times.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Grondoth posted:

I have only ever seen fire pistols once in my 70+ levels of play.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

Me and a buddy were playing our first Nightmare on Horn, with pubbies, three tomes, one grimoire. It was all good until we reached the end and they start talking about who should be the sacrifice in chat. I say "gently caress that" in Skype and jump down, and my friend follows suit, forcing them to all to actually fight the swarm or risk losing those precious books. I plant myself on the stairs and get yelled at to hang back on the beam. The joke of it is that the elevator arrives and I jump directly into it from that balcony while the pubs get tarpitted trying to go after a tome my friend dropped when he died seconds before. They go down, so does the elevator, and I make one mad dash to the carriage, alone.

I dunno, I think I got a green or something.

Yeah if you can get 1 other person to jump down with you then it pretty much forces them to go with you, but other than trying to nudge somebody off I didn't have that option this time. Luckily I bumped into a fabulous group not long after that and ran a lot of missions on hard.

Some random hard waterside with no cursed dice somehow gave me a blue sword and shield for kruber, with effects +2 stamina and more power on pushes. So that's definitely my melee weapon for him taken care of for some time.

e: We need a new thread tag

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 8, 2015

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Just remember, playing with Goons doesn't save you from dumb loving exploits.

I had a group a couple of nights ago that wanted the new player to go kill himself so they could hide in the ammo room.

Please if I ever join a mumble channel and ask if you want to play, don't say yes if you only care about loot and can't complete Horn on hard without cheating. Especially when I tell you it's to run a new guy through some games.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just got Orange 2h for WH with Heroic Blow, Regrowth and Better Push

:boom:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I had a lovely night last night. The loot gods were pleased by my rat sacrifices and gave me a orange mace/shield with Heroic Killing Blow (on charged attacks :getin:), swift on kill and a bigger push back. Also, an orange rainbow fish that has a 20% chance to not consume healing items on use. Glorious.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Next time, just rush forward and grab a Tome and Grimoire. Then they can't make you a sacrifice. Then when you 'accidentally' jump down after their sacrifice, they'll have no choice but to follow you.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe

Skandranon posted:

Next time, just rush forward and grab a Tome and Grimoire. Then they can't make you a sacrifice. Then when you 'accidentally' jump down after their sacrifice, they'll have no choice but to follow you.

Well especially with a grimoire and that first one on Horn is an easy as hell grab.

Again this brings up the whole loot thing again and people not willing risk it. Pretty lovely to ask the new guy to gently caress off and die for everyone else's sake though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Gridlocked posted:

Just got Orange 2h for WH with Heroic Blow, Regrowth and Better Push

:boom:

You'll roll 1% on the HB and regrowth

• Locked thread