Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

Don't call Yui fat. It's rude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

How do you feel about Mio

She is less amorphous than Yui.

e: But more bouncy.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

If anyone has seen it yet, was anthem of the heart any good?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DamnGlitch posted:

It is Literally a Work of Art. Being perfect is not a prerequisite of being art.

(Pluto is basically perfect though)
Not really. I mean that dumb thing I posted a summary of that's about lesbians making out earlier is also technically art. What in your opinion makes pluto perfect? I feel like it may be the same thing that folks say 20th century boys and monster are perfect, but again, I feel like all three series drop the ball in the final stretch. Again, it's an incredibly strong series for a good section of its run that does some really powerful things that I've not seen in other series that deal with similar themes, but after a certain point(once all of The Seven die, especially) it just turns pretty hokey.

I guess not having any prior reverence for either author means I'm less willing to write off the lesser parts of it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I finally watched the first two episodes of K-on and liked it. I blame you Namtab.

But seriously, it's a good show despite Yui being the blobbiest of moeblobs.

You did well and yui is the best

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Condiv posted:

i just got a lot of weed and i'm gonna get super stoned tonight, what's the best anime to watch stoned?

please no anime with chars that say uguu~ (unless it's by go nagai)

K-on

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Not really. I mean that dumb thing I posted a summary of that's about lesbians making out earlier is also technically art. What in your opinion makes pluto perfect? I feel like it may be the same thing that folks say 20th century boys and monster are perfect, but again, I feel like all three series drop the ball in the final stretch. Again, it's an incredibly strong series for a good section of its run that does some really powerful things that I've not seen in other series that deal with similar themes, but after a certain point(once all of The Seven die, especially) it just turns pretty hokey.

I guess not having any prior reverence for either author means I'm less willing to write off the lesser parts of it.

It's been a while since I read it, so I can't really comment in detail, but I remember the ending as being really strong by Urasawa's standards. 20thCB certainly did fall apart later on (although in such a way that it still kept my interest), and while I was quite satisfied with Monster's ending it was far stronger during the more episodic stretches than the actual main story arc.

But as for Pluto, sure it does get rather super robot as must be expected from an Astro Boy reinterpretation. However, it does tie that quite effectively into its earlier points about the robots struggling to overcome their destructive nature and searching for their own kind of humanity. What it comes down to is probably that the ending shows its Astro Boy roots much stronger than the rest of the manga, and Astro Boy can certainly come across as "pretty hokey" to more modern sensibilities. If you're unable to adapt to that or tune it out I can see it spoiling the character interactions which for me were still as strong as before.

drat, now I have to re-read it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've never so much as watched more than an animated gif's worth of astro boy so not having that background for it probably doesn't help it's case for me. I guess I enjoyed the more serious, down to earth stuff, and when it gets into THE EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED stuff I kinda just tuned right out.

Oh well. It was mostly very enjoyable at least, I didn't have a bad time reading it, just didn't really like the direction it took in the end.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

never

i just finished macross frontier and it was pretty good

should watch that ghost in the shell now

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never so much as watched more than an animated gif's worth of astro boy so not having that background for it probably doesn't help it's case for me. I guess I enjoyed the more serious, down to earth stuff, and when it gets into THE EARTH WILL BE DESTROYED stuff I kinda just tuned right out.

Oh well. It was mostly very enjoyable at least, I didn't have a bad time reading it, just didn't really like the direction it took in the end.
Most of Pluto's story beats are taken or modified from Tezuka's original Astro Boy material so I dunno what else you expected.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I didn't expect anything because I was never told that part, just someone suggested it when I asked for "not terrible versions of post-cyberpunk stuff like Eden", and I'd heard people say it was amazing in passing before, and I enjoyed most of Monster/TCB.

I just did a little googling and found this(spoilers I guess), from that it looks like a straight up Astro Boy rewrite. It doesn't really matter whether it's a rewrite or not, I'm just judging it based purely on Pluto on its own since I've never really consumed any of Tezuka's works. I don't really like his artstyle so I've not read his works.

I'll give Urasawa some serious credit though, he took those goofy cartoony Astro Boy designs and made them look great in a more realistic setting. Impressive work considering the original designs.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I guess I'm just surprised because it was always a core part of the series' conception and promotion. Even the volumes themselves list Tezuka as co-author and go on about the writing processes.

Sorry you fell between the cracks I guess.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Yeah I tend to like to go in as blind as possible with most stuff, so I didn't read up on it to avoid potential spoilers. Still enjoyed it a lot, just some issues with it prevented me from considering it a masterpiece is all.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Hey, what's the resident anime expert opinion on Darker Than Black? I've been looking for some sci-fi-ish action shows after having watched Psycho-Pass and Cyber City Oedo (which is so goddamn awesome, had a huge grin during the entire show :haw: ), and at least the first season seems to be well-liked. The basic premise sounds like shonen standard fare, though, which I'm not too keen on. Worth a try?
For the record: I dislike stupid rock-paper-scissor / Calvinball fights, and I got REALLY annoyed by the philosophical streak from Psycho-Pass...

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about: Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Torquemadras posted:

Hey, what's the resident anime expert opinion on Darker Than Black? I've been looking for some sci-fi-ish action shows after having watched Psycho-Pass and Cyber City Oedo (which is so goddamn awesome, had a huge grin during the entire show :haw: ), and at least the first season seems to be well-liked. The basic premise sounds like shonen standard fare, though, which I'm not too keen on. Worth a try?
For the record: I dislike stupid rock-paper-scissor / Calvinball fights, and I got REALLY annoyed by the philosophical streak from Psycho-Pass...

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

I really liked the first season (of DTB) and the OVAs. While i didn't hate the second season per se...i didn't really like it much either. I'd still recommend it though!

Giant Robo isn't like either of those, but the animation is great and it's very cool. I'm not as blown away by it as a lot of people, but in a weird way it feels like a failing on my part rather than the show's.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

And unrelated, another action show I've heard stuff about : Giant Robo. I'm not really a fan of the mecha genre, but I LOVED TTGL and depressing-and-disturbing-Evangelion...

Giant Robo is absolutely amazing and you should definitely watch it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I liked DtB alot, it's well animated, each story arc is well paced and has a nice sense of mystery and intrigue, and the episode writing is extremely competent at slowly trickling out a stream of information from the viewers. The story kinds of falls apart at the end though, too many Mysteries and not enough satisfactory resolution.

Also, DtB was made before the recent nationalist craze and sabre rattling, so it could get away with a non-Japanese protagonist who arrives and raises merry hell across Tokyo.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Darker Than Black is not very shounen, I'm not sure where you heard that. It is a pretty good show however. Not amazing, but pretty good, and well animated.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Darker than Black was cool. I don't recommend watching the second season though

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Darker than Black s1 is decent as a self-contained story. Anything after that isn't that great other than occasional decent action setpieces.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Linnaeus posted:

Darker than Black was cool. I don't recommend watching the second season though

I do recommend it. In fact I think it's cool that they changed the structure and premise so much because a sequel in the same spirit would have just made the series seem dull and drawn-out.

One thing everyone should agree on is that DtB Gaiden is a must watch

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Also the soundtrack is by yoko kanno :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSAMDEQLdgg

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
My only issue with the gaiden is that it basically sets up s2. S2's problem is that its story is just kind of a mess, and basically ends in an open-ended manner with plot hooks for a theoretical s3.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I don't remember much about which season was which, but I liked DtB and definitely thought it was a fun and worthwhile watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

esselfortium posted:

I don't remember much about which season was which, but I liked DtB and definitely thought it was a fun and worthwhile watch.

Season 2 was the 12-ep job with the underage magical girl pulling a sniper rifle out of her naked chest.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 2 was the 12-ep job with the underage magical girl pulling a sniper rifle out of her naked chest.

Ah, okay. In that case, though it was weird to suddenly have a character with transformation sequences in DtB, other than that I remember enjoying season 2.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Torquemadras posted:

Bad Seafood posted:

Giant Robo is now mandatory viewing for posting on this subforum.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Torquemadras posted:

Even outside the realm of giant robots, Giant Robo is a really awesome action OVA.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Whelp. I went ahead and watched me some Darker than Black and Giant Robo. It'd be kinda silly to choose, since I can watch both no problem, but of those two, Giant Robo is the CLEAR winner.

Goddamn that was awesome. Only two episodes in, and there's almost nothing not to love. The main kid is kinda useless, and I'm not sure why he's even necessary, but I'm sure the show will get around to that, and it's acknowledged by other characters. Other than that, I don't know what I love more: that the default mode of piloting giant robots is apparently to cling to it while yelling, that two eps in cities are getting levelled left and right, that there's a Taoist monk heroically jumping through traffic as a horse, that Giant Robo feels properly giant, or that it's just full of ridiculously good-looking motion (often involving explosions and/or giant fists).

ViggyNash posted:

Darker Than Black is not very shounen, I'm not sure where you heard that. It is a pretty good show however. Not amazing, but pretty good, and well animated.

Yeah, I see now that was entirely unfounded. :shrug:

But I have to say, I'm... kinda disappointed by Darker than Black. I made it six episodes in. The first four had cool action, some sweet silly powers that didn't overstay their welcome, and what felt like an utterly bleak and hopeless story. But somehow, that fell apart for me with ep.5/6. It kinda... looked incredibly dull. Not sure what was different. Short action scenes that looked static and disappointing, unmoving shots all over the place, generally boring to look at. Maybe I was missing the dosis of people being mentally broken from the first four. As it stands, it's suddenly kinda unappealing. And to be honest, with that preview for ep7, I'm... not inclined to continue.
Maybe it was just a budget issue for these two, but it looks like I'll have to skip to the good episodes with this one if I'm ever gonna pick it up again... Whatevs. Imma watch Giant Robo now.

NUCLEAR POWER :haw:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

Whelp. I went ahead and watched me some Darker than Black and Giant Robo. It'd be kinda silly to choose, since I can watch both no problem, but of those two, Giant Robo is the CLEAR winner.

Goddamn that was awesome. Only two episodes in, and there's almost nothing not to love. The main kid is kinda useless, and I'm not sure why he's even necessary, but I'm sure the show will get around to that, and it's acknowledged by other characters. Other than that, I don't know what I love more: that the default mode of piloting giant robots is apparently to cling to it while yelling, that two eps in cities are getting levelled left and right, that there's a Taoist monk heroically jumping through traffic as a horse, that Giant Robo feels properly giant, or that it's just full of ridiculously good-looking motion (often involving explosions and/or giant fists).

Yeah, I see now that was entirely unfounded. :shrug:

But I have to say, I'm... kinda disappointed by Darker than Black. I made it six episodes in. The first four had cool action, some sweet silly powers that didn't overstay their welcome, and what felt like an utterly bleak and hopeless story. But somehow, that fell apart for me with ep.5/6. It kinda... looked incredibly dull. Not sure what was different. Short action scenes that looked static and disappointing, unmoving shots all over the place, generally boring to look at. Maybe I was missing the dosis of people being mentally broken from the first four. As it stands, it's suddenly kinda unappealing. And to be honest, with that preview for ep7, I'm... not inclined to continue.
Maybe it was just a budget issue for these two, but it looks like I'll have to skip to the good episodes with this one if I'm ever gonna pick it up again... Whatevs. Imma watch Giant Robo now.

NUCLEAR POWER :haw:

I'm glad you're enjoying Giant Robo, it is very good. If you want more by the same director when you're done consider checking out Shin Mazinger Z

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wait.

What.

How did I never notice?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Going off the Pluto discussion earlier, would anyone recommend any of the Astro Boy anime adaptions? I really like Tezuka's cartoonish designs but know very little of the franchise outside of the original show when Adult Swim aired it early in the morning. The 1980's series is directed by Ishiguro and the 2003 series has a couple of big names like Chiaki involved, so they have a lot of good talent working on them just from doing a cursory search.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2003 series is pretty solid. And it looks fantastic too since they put a lot of money and effort into its production.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I am of the controversial opinion that the second season of Darker Than Black is better than the first, but I don't exactly hold the first season in particularly high esteem so that's not a difficult bar to pass.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So is the phrase "Darker than Black" actually meaningful in the show's context, or is it just there to try to sound edgy

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

I don't remember, I haven't seen the show in a long time

I remember liking the Go Dark song though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjIWunRsdVM

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
That's actually really good.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

To TorqueMadras: It's worth noting that Giant Robo is very loosely based on a 50's manga of the same name by Yokoyama Mitsuteru, and the now stereotypical robot that you control from the inside was popularized by Go Nagai's 70s manga Mazinger Z

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

To TorqueMadras: It's worth noting that Giant Robo is very loosely based on a 50's manga of the same name by Yokoyama Mitsuteru, and the now stereotypical robot that you control from the inside was popularized by Go Nagai's 70s manga Mazinger Z

I am now convinced that piloting a robot while standing/clinging to the outside is the only true way to do it. Jesus, absolutely nothing about the mecha in Giant Robo makes sense, and I love it. I can certainly see why people say this show transcends the mecha genre!

...aaaaaaand now good guys start dying in immensely manly and radical ways, haha
Ha :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I figure robots that you hang onto the outside of must be like the open-cockpit biplanes of the mecha genre

Note: I do not watch mecha