Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

Ah, as expected then.

Unless you must have airplay and you don't have an old mac mini I don't know why anyone would purchase this for Plex.

I use it just for Plex. This thing is pretty baller and super fast. Kicks the poo poo out of my Fire Stick. Haven't had any issues with it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I have the Fire TV stick -- it's whatever. Great price, super portable, and I would expect something that is $125 more to be better.

My point is I've used the FireTV (1st generation) forever and found it to be perfectly fast for both local and remote libraries for Plex. I'm all up in the Apple ecosystem's rear end at both work and home and without Siri integration I just don't see the benefit for Plex users unless they require and frequently use Airplay.

If I felt any need to upgrade to the Fire TV 4k or whatever I imagine that Plex is even faster there but I don't notice any issues with what I've got.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It's weird that Siri search includes Hulu even if you don't have that app installed.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
From home screen:
  1. Swipe to Hulu
  2. Click to launch into Hulu
  3. Swipe down to get off the carousel of previews to the named categories
  4. Swipe right 8 times (...past "British", "Anime" and "Korean Drama")
  5. Click Queue
  6. Swipe around until you find the show you want to watch in your queue (don't worry about, knowing which show is newest or how many episodes there are to watch)
  7. Click the show
  8. Swipe around until you get to the episode you want. (We'll give you titles and a screen capture, but not tell you which is oldest.)
  9. Click the episode you want
  10. Click Play one last time

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Skip forward isn't working for me at all. If I press on the right edge of the pad. It shows the icon, but doesn't do anything else. Skip back works fine. This is on both iTunes home sharing and stuff streamed from Apple. Annoying!

I do much prefer the skipping to trying to scrub using the pad though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

OldSenileGuy posted:

When a Netflix show finishes, is there any way to actually watch the credits in full as opposed to waiting for the "Next episode" countdown? I know there's a Netflix setting to disable the "next episode" thing, but on ATV 3 it did the countdown but gave you the option to go back to the episode.

If not, I hope that's something they fix in the future, along with restoring the "Similar shows" listing and letting me browse my queue with the full screen rather than just one row.

EDIT: Also, is there no longer any "next chapter" button on the remote? Clicking the right side of the pad just jumps forward 10 seconds, and holding it just fast forwards.

I will not purchase a new aTV until it at least has feature parity with the aTV3's netflix app for christ sakes That's god damned ridiculous.

dexter6 posted:

From home screen:
  1. Swipe to Hulu
  2. Click to launch into Hulu
  3. Swipe down to get off the carousel of previews to the named categories
  4. Swipe right 8 times (...past "British", "Anime" and "Korean Drama")
  5. Click Queue
  6. Swipe around until you find the show you want to watch in your queue (don't worry about, knowing which show is newest or how many episodes there are to watch)
  7. Click the show
  8. Swipe around until you get to the episode you want. (We'll give you titles and a screen capture, but not tell you which is oldest.)
  9. Click the episode you want
  10. Click Play one last time

Hot loving garbage.

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
I love the new Apple TV, but the Netflix app is missing some of the features I loved on the Apple TV 3.

I have about 150 movies / series on my list. No way to browse them, except for the horizontal scrolling thingy.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Kaizoku posted:

I will not purchase a new aTV until it at least has feature parity with the aTV3's netflix app for christ sakes That's god damned ridiculous.

Yell at Netflix then, it's their app. Seeing as how the new atv just matches the Netflix apps that have been out for existing boxes for years, I don't think it's going to change anytime soon.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the sad news is that the Netflix app on the ATV3 was the exception, not the rule.

I agree that the old one is better, but the app matches their iOS app and their app on every other streaming box.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Disney XD app is driving me nuts with the enormous "up next" in the corner for the last three minutes of a show.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Subjunctive posted:

Plus it has dynamic range compression

Is this applied to all audio or just videos? I definitely wouldn't mind it for movies where the excessive dynamic range has me fiddling with the volume constantly but I don't really feel the need to apply additional compression to my music.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Is this applied to all audio or just videos? I definitely wouldn't mind it for movies where the excessive dynamic range has me fiddling with the volume constantly but I don't really feel the need to apply additional compression to my music.

I think it's a global setting, but you can turn it on or off any time during video playback by swiping down from the top of the Siri remote, so at least you don't have to dig into the settings app every time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd be a little surprised if most music had enough range that it would trigger, but I'm far from an expert. Or I need to get more into the new "Explosions & Whispers" genre.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Subjunctive posted:

I'd be a little surprised if most music had enough range that it would trigger, but I'm far from an expert. Or I need to get more into the new "Explosions & Whispers" genre.

Yes you are far from an expert.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Mahoning posted:

Yeah the sad news is that the Netflix app on the ATV3 was the exception, not the rule.

I agree that the old one is better, but the app matches their iOS app and their app on every other streaming box.

All of the atv 3 apps were built in conjunction with Apple (if not by Apple themselves). It goes to show their obsession over usability. The Hulu and Netflix apps on atv4 are not good. I like the new HBO now app.

I really hope companies are diligent about updating their apps. There are a lot of bugs.

Also, I wish there was a way to cycle through more aerial screen savers than just the two back to back.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice
Yeah, I'm taking my ATV4 back. I received it launch day after pre-ordering it and it's a mess. The Hulu app is terrible, searching the App store is a joke (why can't you browse alphabetically?), sometime it is fast and responsive but other times the cursor will lag and then shoot around, and the remote touch surface needs to be changed so that it is capacitive or something similar as it will pickup input from oh, say a blanket. I went from an ATV2, so I'll just pick up a 3 when I return it and wait for the next generation.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I think I might skip this Apple TV unless a crazy deal pops up during Black Friday. it just doesn't seem worth it in comparison to what I do on my ATV3. I have access to all the same content.

e: That I would use, I should say. I only play videos and until HBO, Netflix, or Beamer stop working on it, it's just not worth it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's a shame the app stores are bifurcated and there aren't universal versions that also support tvOS.

I think if my existing games had free appletv versions it would be a slam dunk purchase, but otherwise nah.

Played "does not commute" on the store's demo setup and it was very good.

Browsing the tv app store looks painful too.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

priznat posted:

I think if my existing games had free appletv versions it would be a slam dunk purchase, but otherwise nah.

It wouldn't really be a purchase the would it? What is the developer gaining by doing that?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

benisntfunny posted:

It wouldn't really be a purchase the would it? What is the developer gaining by doing that?

No I meant appletv purchase. It'd just be nice not having to buy games once on each platform. Iphone and ipad stuff used to be separate purchases before most things went universal.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Apps can be universal such that you purchase once and get it on tvOS and iOS. I had a bunch of apps show up on my 'Purchased' list on the ATV that I had downloaded previously on my iPhone. If certain games/apps don't do that, it's completely the developer's choice.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Oh really?? I had read they were completely independent and had been going on that.. Well that changes a lot, I'll have to see how many of my favs are available as universal with appletv too then!

Can't remember where I read that, my bad.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nah I've gotten a couple free on ATV store because I already owned them on mobile...

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

priznat posted:

No I meant appletv purchase. It'd just be nice not having to buy games once on each platform. Iphone and ipad stuff used to be separate purchases before most things went universal.

The only one I've looked for so far was Transistor and it didn't make me buy it again on Apple TV. I'd guess itll be universal unless the developer tries to make a money grab and release an exclusive Apple TV version with silly features nobody wants.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm surprised that Apple TV can't control HomeKit devices. It'd be pretty cool if you could use the Siri remote to dim the lights, for example.

Then again, HomeKit is a massive disappointment at the moment. There really needs to be a Home app which you can set up IFTTT-like recipes in. Like, "If I open Netflix on my Apple TV, dim the lights".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TinTower posted:

I'm surprised that Apple TV can't control HomeKit devices. It'd be pretty cool if you could use the Siri remote to dim the lights, for example.

Then again, HomeKit is a massive disappointment at the moment. There really needs to be a Home app which you can set up IFTTT-like recipes in. Like, "If I open Netflix on my Apple TV, dim the lights".

I have to believe this is Coming SoonTM. It's too useful of an idea not to. If they can get other manufacturers on board I'd get it in a heartbeat. To be honest, all I'd want is integration with Honeywell/Nest for HVAC and something along the lines of controlling Phillips HUE lights.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Siri itself on Apple TV is pretty useless right now too beyond movies. I don't get how it does not hook up to Apples services to know more about me. Like, if I ask about my calendar Siri on the TV won't know about it, but on my phone will. Say what you want about Cortana, but that works on my PC, Phone, and Xbox One the same. It would be nice if you could have the same consistent experience across all devices.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

flosofl posted:

I have to believe this is Coming SoonTM. It's too useful of an idea not to. If they can get other manufacturers on board I'd get it in a heartbeat. To be honest, all I'd want is integration with Honeywell/Nest for HVAC and something along the lines of controlling Phillips HUE lights.

Sadly you're never going to see that with Nest -- not since Google bought them - however I just switched from NEST to Ecobee's new thermostat which IS homekit-enabled and that is pretty cool. (And the added bonus of deploying remote sensors for different rooms of your house is kickass.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ATV Siri will also tell you the weather.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

With iTunes Home Sharing, on the TV page, on the By Date screen, is it new that the TV series name isn't shown? Very odd, but maybe it was always that way?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

flosofl posted:

Also, dear Philips, please bring out E14/SES lights. :argh:

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
tvOS 9.0.1 is out. Wish me luck!

http://9to5mac.com/2015/11/09/apple-tv-tvos-software-update/

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 9, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Did you accidentally go back in time?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Did you accidentally go back in time?

Actually, he has an operating system that doesn't exist.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, he has an operating system that doesn't exist.

OS Ten 9.0.1

I worked with a sweet old lady who would always call Win7 "System 7"

I never had the heart to correct her

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Oh bite me. :)

Oh the upside the ATV updated nice and fast and didn't seem to break anything.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have two major issues with the new ATV.

1) The Netflix app has this annoying habit of attempting to pick up where I last left off but then booting me back to the home screen. I then go back into the app and it usually returns me to where I last was. Annoying but seems like some work needs to be done on resuming the last state on netflix's end.

2) I have no idea how the skip ahead thing is suppose to work. If I see the little icon do I click then? This kinda extends to the YouTube app. There's no way to skip ads unless you have the new Remote. My old harmony used to be able to just click right but that only fast fowards now. But doing the hold right on the new Remote is like you have to hold right then click. Is this the skip functionality?

The first will have to wait for a netflix app update, I suppose. The second is more Apple's problem with their implementation. Time will tell if a software update will improve on it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Target has the ATV3 on sale for $51 today only and then again on Black Friday

http://target.com/p/apple-apple-tv-black-md199ll-a/-/A-14051076

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't wait until Google releases a YouTube app that actually lets me log into my account without going into a blackscreen loop forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Sanchez
Sep 22, 2004

AIDS!
All this talk of having to sign into apps repeatedly has me baffled. I've owned every Apple TV from gen 1 and have never had this problem.

Is it widespread?

Rick Sanchez fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 10, 2015