Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Holy poo poo the Civil Rights section in the Nixon Wikipedia article is hilarious.

quote:

The Nixon years witnessed the first large-scale integration of public schools in the South.[91] Nixon sought a middle way between the segregationist Wallace and liberal Democrats, whose support of integration was alienating some Southern whites.[92] Hopeful of doing well in the South in 1972, he sought to dispose of desegregation as a political issue before then. Soon after his inauguration, he appointed Vice President Agnew to lead a task force, which worked with local leaders—both white and black—to determine how to integrate local schools. Agnew had little interest in the work, and most of it was done by Labor Secretary George Shultz. Federal aid was available, and a meeting with President Nixon was a possible reward for compliant committees. By September 1970, less than ten percent of black children were attending segregated schools. By 1971, however, tensions over desegregation surfaced in Northern cities, with angry protests over the busing of children to schools outside their neighborhood to achieve racial balance. Nixon opposed busing personally but enforced court orders requiring its use.[93]

He sought a "middle way" on civil rights by promising Strom Thurmond he'd oppose busing and then, when Congress and the courts twisted his arm he tried sabotaging it by appointing his Law and Order VP (also Strom's pick) to head up the effort. Evidence of a man deeply concerned with the plight of minorities in America, right there. Oh, and also, you know, no mention of what he said on tape about any of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
All this talk of Nixon... I wonder what Trump thinks of Bohemian Grove. I still believe a big part of what motivates Trump is that he wasn't invited to the Eyes Wide Shut sex parties.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bryter posted:

Nixon expanded the civil right to go gently caress yourself

Nixon expanded the right for you to do whatever the President tells you to do.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
He signed the implemented the first significant affirmative action program and supported the ERA.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nixon expanded the right for you to do whatever the President tells you to do.

Well it wouldn't be illegal at least.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Actually, Nixon Was A Liberal has become the most tired and idiotic internet hot take.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i always thought nixon was too much of a weird, neurotic power hungry fucker to really pinpoint him besides a general conservative disdain for things that are too different from him

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

GalacticAcid posted:

Actually, Nixon Was A Liberal has become the most tired and idiotic internet hot take.

I'm not saying he was liberal. I'm saying he was progressive for his time. They are not the same thing.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
But back on the topic of the 2016 GOP primary: Friend Bear, poverbs, Gotcha!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Bryter posted:

so did Louis xiv, that doesn't make him FDR

whoosh

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Matthewtheman posted:

No seriously. He tried to get what was basically the ACA by another name passed(which failed 'cause Watergate came to light at around the same time), he was environmentally conscious, and was pro-civil rights, among other things. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presidency_of_Richard_Nixon

Read that if you want to get an idea of what his presidency was like. He may have been morally reprehensible, corrupt as poo poo, and paranoid as gently caress, but I'll be damned if he wasn't progressive for his time.

Jesus. I think both Joe and I have done megaposts on how wrong that fallacy is, probably in this thread. Look them up. Also look up say, how Spiro Agnew became his VP. Or that time he wanted to blow up a journalist in a car bombing. Just...read something....

EDIT: And he was also contending with the most liberal Congress of all time. Anything he did was just to soften their impact, starting from the environment on.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Matthewtheman posted:

I'm not saying he was liberal. I'm saying he was progressive for his time. They are not the same thing.

So you're saying a lie. Good for you.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I do think it's pretty funny that the only things we like about Nixon's presidency are things he (at best) didn't give a poo poo about.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Shageletic posted:

Jesus. I think both Joe and I have done megaposts on how wrong that fallacy is, probably in this thread. Look them up. Also look up say, how Spiro Agnew became his VP. Or that time he wanted to blow up a journalist in a car bombing. Just...read something....

EDIT: And he was also contending with the most liberal Congress of all time. Anything he did was just to soften their impact, starting from the environment on.

Fair enough. I concede my argument. Lincoln and Teddy were total progressives though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Matthewtheman posted:

Fair enough. I concede my argument. Lincoln and Teddy were total progressives though.

Agreed.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I could do without Teddy's warmongering.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

I could do without Teddy's warmongering.

He's Teddy drat it.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
This is pretty progressive, right guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMfVnBmpMm8

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

I already conceded my argument. We're past that now. This topic is now about Teddy Motherfucking Roosevelt, the most badass president in the history of forever.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

'Actually, the issue of homosexuality' is a good user name.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Socrates didn't have the influence of broadcast television. :nixon:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
i just want you to think big, henry, for chrissake!

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

To go back to the Bill O'Reilly "Killing" series, there are A LOT of people who read his books.

I was interviewing for a high school social studies position. In the middle of the interview, the principal started going on and on about how great the "Killing Lincoln" book was and how he now thought that Stanton was behind it. He then looks at me and asks "Have you read the book and if so, what did you think of it?"

Telling him that the book was mostly exaggerated conspiracy theories to sell books and that he should read "Blood on the Moon" instead might have ticked him off.

Wait does Killing Lincoln suggest that Edwin Stanton was the real mastermind of the assassination?

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
And tbf, almost no one had progressive views on homosexuality at that point in time.

Fun fact: Teddy Roosevelt was born with asthma, but conquered the poo poo out of that nonsense.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

poverbs

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Matthewtheman posted:

I already conceded my argument. We're past that now. This topic is now about Teddy Motherfucking Roosevelt, the most badass president in the history of forever.

Teddy was a vicious nationalist who thirsted for eternal war of conquest. His reactionary conceptions of empire coupled with a more vigorous national welfare model put him on par with contemporary conservative leaders like Bismarck.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Jesus is Warf

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Nixon knows that gays don't belong on the TV, they belong on the streets. A true progressive.

I really want to know how Carson will top himself next though. This is actually more entertaining than Trump has ever been.

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 9, 2015

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

looks like jesus wants that ten dollars back

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Bryter posted:

looks like jesus wants that ten dollars back

Hippie longhair asking for a loving handout.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Carson is going to start saying that's an actual photograph of him and Jesus next, isn't he?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

poverbs 3:16 says I just found :10bux:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Cabinet posted:

Carson is going to start saying that's an actual photograph of him and Jesus next, isn't he?

Turns out Ben was lying. He didn't stab his friend with a knife ~ he stabbed him with a spear.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax
Teddy's political philosophy was literally called progressivism.

Plus he was a huge conservationalist, believed in regulating corporations, and believed in treating minorities like yooman beings. He also delivered a 90 minute speech despite literally having just been shot.

Matthewtheman
Oct 20, 2015

by Lowtax

Blasmeister posted:

poverbs 3:16 says I just found :10bux:

poverbs 3:17 Friend Bear

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Matthewtheman posted:

Teddy's political philosophy was literally called progressivism.

Plus he was a huge conservationalist, believed in regulating corporations, and believed in treating minorities like yooman beings. He also delivered a 90 minute speech despite literally having just been shot.

That is impressive, today the GOP candidates complain about having to 'debate' for 2 hours and some of them are sleeping and/or very low energy. BORING.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Jeb Bush would be perceived very poorly educated if he ran in Teddy's era.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Matthewtheman posted:

poverbs 3:17 Friend Bear

Almost

poverbs 3:16 "I just bound :10bux:
poverbs 3:17 "praise me unto he of low tax"
poverbs 3:18 "and his steed Friend Bear"

Nonsense posted:

Jeb Bush would be perceived very poorly educated if he ran in Teddy's era.

Also this era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Tomorrow's headlines: Presidential frontrunner Ben Carson claims to have been on SNL.

• Locked thread