Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

Monday, November 9th at 8 AM EST

We weren't allowed to know this until November 6th at 10AM PST, due to the embargo that Bethesda / Zenimax put on their embargo.

Thanks! Wow, that sounds bad, I was wondering why there was so little information about this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

no I didnt. I said the story touched me in a different way. i never blamed Dad in Fallout3. i felt that he was driven to save everything at the expense of himself and his family. thats what I got from that one. I felt as though he never truly forgot his main drive which was water purification.

with NV I thought Benny was a rat. i felt as though he was doing something very different to what you thought. looking out for himself and only himself, such as wanting to take control of New Vegas with YES man.

thats not the same as not getting invested.

The point is that the story and quests in New Vegas give you good well thought options depending on how how you/your character sees the situation while Fallout 3 (mostly) doesn't.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

The point is that the story and quests in New Vegas give you good well thought options depending on how how your character feels/sees the situation while Fallout 3 (mostly) doesn't.

It was my first bethesda game so this I think is why I didn't have the same experience as most other posters.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

VideoGames posted:

ok? this is a really strange post.

I get the impression from your posts that they could have replaced all dialogue in the games with fart sounds and you wouldn't haven been particularly phased at all

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Bland posted:

I get the impression from your posts that they could have replaced all dialogue in the games with fart sounds and you wouldn't haven been particularly phased at all

like this wouldn't improve every videogame ever

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

poptart_fairy posted:

Any word on the console performance?

Some hefty frame rate drops on both, maybe worse on PS4?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I think the difference between F3 and NV especially for the time they each came out is overstated. NV does have better plotting, more out there stuff and the most fun I had in Fallout was in modded NV. They both had about the same number of problems though. Obsidian are probably the most reliably competent writers in the business but personally I feel that just good writing doesn't make a good game or even a good story.

Killing everybody you met was much more fun in NV though.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bland posted:

are you saying I am not having fun in games the correct way? is it really that bizarre for people to have different fun with the same things?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

snuff posted:

Thanks! Wow, that sounds bad, I was wondering why there was so little information about this game.

Generally embargoes being held until or after release time shows that the publisher lacks confidence in the product.

A recent example of this is Assassin's Creed: Unity (and we know how well that game worked on release). Dragon Age: Inquisition also had one that was really close to release time, I think?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

VideoGames posted:

It was my first bethesda game so this I think is why I didn't have the same experience as most other posters.

It probably also has something to do with you being one of the most glass half full posters I've seen on these forums. From what I have seen from other threads, you tend to see the most positive aspects of whatever you play.

(This is not a complaint)

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Kizurue posted:

I have mine set to Syndey in the vpn software and AUS - NSW in steam and I am still showing 19 hours. Any tips on what the hell I am doing wrong?

See

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

poptart_fairy posted:

It's bad. Lots of videos showing 15fps gameplay in empty rooms, using weapon scopes, simply wandering around the wasteland, etc.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

VideoGames posted:

are you saying I am not having fun in games the correct way? is it really that bizarre for people to have different fun with the same things?

No I'm saying you would have an equal amount of fun regardless of the quality of the writing, because it's clearly not something that particularly bothers you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Andrast posted:

It probably also has something to do with you being one of the most glass half full posters I've seen on these forums. From what I have seen from other threads, you tend to see the most positive aspects of whatever you play.

This is not a complaint.

:heart:

I often forget this, I do have a tendency to be extremely optimistic. I apologise to anyone who finds it grating, its not my intent.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

Generally embargoes being held until or after release time shows that the publisher lacks confidence in the product.

A recent example of this is Assassin's Creed: Unity (and we know how well that game worked on release). Dragon Age: Inquisition also had one that was really close to release time, I think?

nah DA:I was a week+ before release, and they actually launched to pretty positive hype until people got more than 10 hours into the game and realized it was a decrepit husk

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

it's good actually

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Apparently all Zenimax/Bethesda games have the same embargo times.

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.
Don't know if anyone asked already but, will I be able to build a huge building on this airship's route?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A Lamer posted:

nah DA:I was a week+ before release, and they actually launched to pretty positive hype until people got more than 10 hours into the game and realized it was a decrepit husk

Ah, okay. I thought DA:I was alright.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

That's what I missed, I was just looking at the downloads section. Thanks!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dan Didio posted:

Some hefty frame rate drops on both, maybe worse on PS4?

PS4 supposedly has the huge framerate drop when using scopes (which we've only seen video of once, and it didn't happen on the PS4 streams I watched) and reportedly some slowdown indoors which I didn't witness either and some folks are saying doesn't exist.

We won't know for sure until the full release. And nothing's really been said about the Xbox One version to compare.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Ramadu posted:

Fallout 4

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently all Zenimax/Bethesda games have the same embargo times.

Fallout 3, yes. Skyrim was on the 10th, the day before the game launched.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

conversation piece posted:

FWIW, I played through NV at least 4 times. I couldn't bother with Fallout 3 even twice.

NV definitely has much more of a "choose your own adventure book" style of storytelling that I think suits the genre much better than Fallout 3's more traditional 'knots of string with occasional funnels'

The goddamn dialogue is so good too.

Yeah, I enjoyed Fallout 3 and played the hell out of it - finished it 3 or 4 times. I have played through New Vegas ~25 times and still play on a regular basis. I started up a new Fallout 3 game the other week and after a half hour gave up because all the cool stuff added in New Vegas wasn't there. In New Vegas you can have a completely different experience each time you play but in Fallout 3 it's going to be pretty much the same.

I wish my PC was able to run Fallout 4. I bought Fallout 1 and 2 in the box when they came out and still have the boxes/manuals/discs.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

xbone seems fine
ps4 has severe framerate drop while zoomed in
both have somewhat long load times
both have pretty piss poor texture work
both seem to run at at least 30fps most of the time, with occasional dips into at least the low 20s while poo poo is going on

conversation piece
Sep 19, 2015
:swoon: :ohdear:

:siren: now is your last chance to go asleep if you want halfway decent sleep (supposedly sleep works best in 3 hour intervals or some poo poo idk dude) :siren:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Grapplejack posted:

Ah, okay. I thought DA:I was alright.

It was, but it really lacked a lot of depth. It had lots and lots of content but it was mostly boring MMO-like stuff aside from the honestly quite good main story content and character interaction.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

ps4 has severe framerate drop while zoomed in

Yeah, as I noted above this one seems to be random. It's not a consistent drop but it's AWFUL when it happens. It might also occur on the One as we haven't seen as much footage of that version.

Same with the reported FPS drops indoors that happen on both consoles. It's a fairly rare occurrence.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Bland posted:

No I'm saying you would have an equal amount of fun regardless of the quality of the writing, because it's clearly not something that particularly bothers you

I think for one playthrough of a game I would honestly laugh at something like that.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Fallout 3, yes. Skyrim was on the 10th, the day before the game launched.

Same difference. FO4 technically doesn't officially release until the 10th, this Tuesday. The embargo lifts today, on the 9th, one day before release.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Mokinokaro posted:

PS4 supposedly has the huge framerate drop when using scopes (which we've only seen video of once, and it didn't happen on the PS4 streams I watched) and reportedly some slowdown indoors which I didn't witness either and some folks are saying doesn't exist.

We won't know for sure until the full release. And nothing's really been said about the Xbox One version to compare.

I saw the indoors stuff, it was pretty bad, and people have sai similar about the Xbox.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Personally I feel the biggest difference between NV and F3 (and why I love NV but dislike F3) is how it's structured. Someone said that F3 is an Elder Scrolls game reskinned and to me that's not that far off. NV was more structured like the older Fallouts in that most of its content and meat lay within the various communities, while F3 had that "ooh a dungeon to explore" Elder Scrolls type thing.
And NV allowed you real good choices. You didn't have to side with anyone if you didn't want to, you could kill pretty much anyone you wanted. Various factions could be interacted with in various ways, and you there were different endings for them based on what you did. Whereas F3 had an open world but forced you down certain paths due to plot reasons basically. You have to side with goodie-goodie Eastern BoS because the plot demands it for example.

The writing is a part of it but I think that's far less important a reason than the whole gameplay revolving around how you can impact the world. That was always why Fallout grabbed me and Bethesda completely missed/ignored that part of it, and it looks like F4 won't be any better in that regard.

evilentity
Jun 25, 2010
Bleh, I hope I will get my copy tomorrow :/

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I'm sure the major console perf issues will be ironed out with a patch that's not far off. I ended up getting this on steam over console, though. hopefully the steam controller works well; it's loving awesome with MGSV.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So:

1. use vpn
2. unlock game on steam
3. go in offline mode
4. turn vpn off?

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So:

1. use vpn
2. unlock game on steam
3. go in offline mode
4. turn vpn off?

or just keep vpn online and stay online until its unlocked in your region

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rockybar posted:

or just keep vpn online and stay online until its unlocked in your region

This is the best option, so all your friends who haven't VPN'd or aren't aware of it can send you frantic messages asking how in the hell you're playing, and you can respond with smug cryptic messages

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So:

1. use vpn
2. unlock game on steam
3. go in offline mode
4. turn vpn off?

Supposedly you have to change your store region in Steam to the same one as where your VPN is based. Also based on prior experience you may not even need to keep the VPN on or stay in offline mode once you've successfully loaded the game once. I know for a fact I've been able to unlock other games with the VPN then turn it off and still be able to play.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Robhol posted:

Supposedly you have to change your store region in Steam to the same one as where your VPN is based. Also based on prior experience you may not even need to keep the VPN on or stay in offline mode once you've successfully loaded the game once. I know for a fact I've been able to unlock other games with the VPN then turn it off and still be able to play.

I thought changing the store region was the big, get you banned no-no since that's what leads to people trying to get games cheaper via worthless Russian monies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I thought changing the store region was the big, get you banned no-no since that's what leads to people trying to get games cheaper via worthless Russian monies?

No idea. I've never had to do it before to unlock a game but I'm just going off what people have posted before in this thread. I thought you'd only get banned if you actually bought something that way but probably worth trying without changing store region first at least.

• Locked thread