Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Crabtree posted:

Charisma levels effect whether or not your successful at persuasion so its just a condensed Speech Skill. That's so far the only thing that's been confirmed.

How's that presented? "[Persuade - 45%] Blah, blah"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Different colored text=Different difficulty

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Nah, there's like yellow text lettering to show that you have a chance to fail and the higher the CHA level is to 10 the more likely it'll always succeed.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Well I was undecided about the settlement perks, but hearing charisma has an actual use means luck will probably be my dump stat.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Pwnstar posted:

With Fallout 3 when something funny or emotional happens you get the impression that the writers are going "eh eh, how good is this?" In New Vegas it feels more natural. This has been my subjective opinion.

For me it's so weird that billionaire companies like bethesda and blizzard never really care about good/complex writing, even more after seeing the quality on kickstarted games that cost a tiny fraction of their AAA releases. It's clear that writing is way cheaper than most aspects of game development, so I really wonder why they can't do better. Internal egos and seniority like Chris Metzen? Extreme focus group research?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

nerdz posted:

For me it's so weird that billionaire companies like bethesda and blizzard never really care about good/complex writing, even more after seeing the quality on kickstarted games that cost a tiny fraction of their AAA releases. It's clear that writing is way cheaper than most aspects of game development, so I really wonder why they can't do better. Internal egos and seniority like Chris Metzen? Extreme focus group research?

The basic facts are probably just if the preorders and hype are still extremely successful, why fix what isn't broken? Yes they have the money to not hire the same writer of Fallout 3, but do they need to as far as Zenimax is concerned? It'd be great if they just wrote a check to Tim Cain, Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone to do the writing for them, but as long as Fallout sells better than the last they don't see the need to tell T-Hod he can't keep his highschool friends in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nerdz posted:

In Blizzards case its definitely Metzen's ego. Guy thinks he's an amazing writer.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im playing

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Crabtree posted:

The basic facts are probably just if the preorders and hype are still extremely successful, why fix what isn't broken? Yes they have the money to not hire the same writer of Fallout 3, but do they need to as far as Zenimax is concerned? It'd be great if they just wrote a check to Tim Cain, Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone to do the writing for them, but as long as Fallout sells better than the last they don't see the need to tell T-Hod he can't keep his highschool friends in.

On top of that, and in a rather cynical corporate bent, better writing most definitely does not equal more money. Only more critical acclaim, and even then ONLY if it gets noticed and singled out by enough gaming mags at once. A game could have absolutely sublime and brilliant writing, but the reality is that that kind of writing always takes a risk if it goes too much against tropes of the games' genre (against that which is expected by all the game reviewers). And from a money perspective (which, let's face it, ranks as #1 on most of their minds) publishers don't like taking risks when it comes to their products - they'd rather have a steady stream of income with bland and mediocre sequels.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Eonwe posted:

im playing

have fun buddy :)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think the fallouts are good games. I hope this fallout is also a good game too.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Yeah, have fun playing this lovely 24 fps poorly rendered bug-hosed shell of what used to be an engaging rpg franchise.

Im going to have fun playing it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yo, dog armor

http://i.imgur.com/oCXLCjP.jpg

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

is the dog as cute as ddog

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

ddog was a very good boy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

(PS4) loadtimes are disappointingly long

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is way loving prettier on PC, obvs

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Eonwe posted:

game is way loving prettier on PC, obvs

Not on mine

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

(PS4) loadtimes are disappointingly long

Far better than Bloodborne or the Witcher 3 death reload.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

nerdz posted:

Good writing is subjective. They write stories that would make terrible novels or movies but write stories that make for very very good open world hoarding simulator games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Far better than Bloodborne or the Witcher 3 death reload.

Watching the GB quick look, not really. Better, not far better. (don't know about bloodborne)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Bloodborne is 40-60 seconds every time you die. In a game where most players are going to die a ton.

It was the strongest incentive to get better (or quit)

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I wanna play on pcccccccc i don't wanna wait until tomorrow

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Good writing is subjective. They write stories that would make terrible novels or movies but write stories that make for very very good open world hoarding simulator games.
They’re really bad at that, though. Oblivion and Skyrim have big, urgent, end-of-the-world plots where it makes exactly zero sense to do anything but barrel through the main quest before the demons/dragons destroy everything. Fallout 3 is a bit better but is still weirdly linear and tries to give too much emotional attachment to characters you’re going to meet for a total of about twenty minutes over 60 hours of collecting staplers. New Vegas didn’t have a great plot exactly but it does a good job integrating it with the game because it’s all about building influence and working with the different factions, which is what literally all these games should do - Morrowind was kind of similar so it's weird that Bethesda has done a worse job in that regard since.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Have not yet bought fallout 4 because I don't care about dota announcer pack but I live in Boston and liked fo3/nv so I guess I should buy it.

any advice for a goon? Should I buy?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Massasoit posted:

Have not yet bought fallout 4 because I don't care about dota announcer pack but I live in Boston and liked fo3/nv so I guess I should buy it.

any advice for a goon? Should I buy?

watch some other rear end in a top hat play it and see whether it looks fun

that's my hot take

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

They’re really bad at that, though. Oblivion and Skyrim have big, urgent, end-of-the-world plots where it makes exactly zero sense to do anything but barrel through the main quest before the demons/dragons destroy everything. Fallout 3 is a bit better but is still weirdly linear and tries to give too much emotional attachment to characters you’re going to meet for a total of about twenty minutes over 60 hours of collecting staplers. New Vegas didn’t have a great plot exactly but it does a good job integrating it with the game because it’s all about building influence and working with the different factions, which is what literally all these games should do - Morrowind was kind of similar so it's weird that Bethesda has done a worse job in that regard since.

This is something that's irked me for a while with Bethesda. Why in the world would you make a huge sweeping game space that you want the player to explore at their own pace, and then create a main plot that just shoves URGENCY down your throat? It's nonsensical and counterproductive.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Got through the first part in the vault before I needed to get some sleep. Can't really make an opinion on it yet other than it did not crash in th first 30 minutes..

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

NVs plot was the perfect setpiece for an open world game. A minor mystery leads to a compelling excuse to wander around and see everything, wrapping things up at your own pace as you see fit.

NV, good game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Fart Car '97 posted:

NVs plot was the perfect setpiece for an open world game. A minor mystery leads to a compelling excuse to wander around and see everything, wrapping things up at your own pace as you see fit.

NV, good game.

Yeah and it had themes

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rinkles posted:

Do we know if attributes affect dialog? Anything affect dialog?

Dice rolls.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

which thread is going to have the most people making GBS threads on the story? i love goons crying over video game stories and want to get in on the ground floor for once

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
this one, the other thread is going to be overwhelmed by people posting about how they can't get the game to run right or comparing the visual fidelity of the console to PC version

we're a different class of huge dorks

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Genetic Toaster posted:

which thread is going to have the most people making GBS threads on the story? i love goons crying over video game stories and want to get in on the ground floor for once

They kind of already are in the original thread. But seeing as we got our bitching in early, there might be like weeks of silence on complaining specifically about that.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So this is the PC thread, coolies

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hmm, yes. I, too, believe that it is silly to want good dialog and characters in a game where going to places and talking to people is a significant portion of what the player does.

(although anyone who thought they'd get that in a Bethesda game has clearly not been paying attention to Bethesda games)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I can deal with the FPS dips and everything as long as there's no gamebreaking inventory/save file bug or crash

At least give me that much Bethesda

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Yeah, I don't really care about "The Story", I care if the writing is loving embarrassing or not. And Bethesda writing is loving embarrassing. However, from watching a little bit of some early streams it looks like this time it's the kind of embarrassing that's funny in a really lovely B-movie way. Like they tried and failed so badly that it went back around to amazing.

Fallout 3's problem was just that the dialogue was so boring.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Lmao, it's like 3 pm in Britain and Funstock digital not only hasn't sent out keys like they said, but the website's down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I don't really care about "The Story", I care if the writing is loving embarrassing or not. And Bethesda writing is loving embarrassing. However, from watching a little bit of some early streams it looks like this time it's the kind of embarrassing that's funny in a really lovely B-movie way. Like they tried and failed so badly that it went back around to amazing.

I can live with that.

I'm more annoyed that they've basically avoided having any different quest outcomes from persuasion/intimidate checks so now Charisma is basically only good for "bargain for better rewards." I guess if you want to do a ton of base building you should have high Charisma, but otherwise it seems kinda worthless.

Bethesda doesn't like to let their quests branch anyway so I dunno what I was expecting.

• Locked thread