Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

the complicated wires venn diagram is the toughest end of level boss I've faced in a bit

One of the times I was playing with a friend we ran out of time with only complicated wires left, so in a last ditch effort he just cut all the wires and successfully defused the bomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

CCKeane posted:

I'm going to KIDNAP SANTA this year.

Wait is Opop's Xmas game back because I need in on this if it is!!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Quidnose posted:

Wait is Opop's Xmas game back because I need in on this if it is!!

Of course, but I'm not going to open it this early.

What am I, asiina?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

This year I shall not be on the losing team for Xmas.

I think I have hosed up two years in a row now.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Also, this game needs moar players

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750252&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

There are lots of awesome Australian players in it. Also, bowmore is playing.
hardy har har

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Asiina posted:

Christmas stories

These are lovely stories and I'm glad the holiday means so much to you. I have an odd relationship with it due to my immigration. I always loved it as a kid and I loved the closeness we shared as family from it. It was always just us four mainly with an aunt joining us at some point on Christmas Day. These days I spend it with my in-laws, who're wonderful, generous, and very accommodating, but it's different. Back at home my father would always start by playing songs on the piano or guitar and would generally keep that up all day. There's a disc of bossa nova christmas covers that would be played to death. Even at the times there were tension in the family that would be pushed aside. I enjoy it these days but like I said it's different.

I'm pretty ok at giving gifts. I'm more of an idea person, finding the gift is a much more difficult task for me, because I absolutely loathe shopping.

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me

CCKeane posted:

My family is really bad at accepting gifts graciously. A few years ago I found a first edition book by one of my mom's favorite authors. Obviously cost isn't everything, but it was distinctly Not Cheap. My mom was obviously a little disappointed and asked for a gift card to a department store the next day.

Gift cards for everybody ever since.

That is really really sad.

My family is awesome at accepting gifts. It might be the whole "grew up super poor" thing but it's kind of impossible to get someone in my family a bad gift.

Last year I was so broke I couldn't buy gifts at all. I ended up buying nice stationary and handwriting personal letters to each member of the family telling them how much I admire them and how special they are. Nobody was disappointed, a couple people actually told me they loved getting that letter and that it was a perfect gift.

This year I'm putting together a cookbook with favorite recipes and photos from everyone in the family. It's looking like more of a headache than I was anticipating. I think I'm gonna have to chase everyone down to get them to send me recipes. It should be a really cool gift when it's done though.

A few years ago I was having a really difficult time in my life and my sister was going out of her way to be especially kind to me. One day over the summer she'd texted me about her fondness for jar candles, so I stored that information and when Christmas shopping rolled around, I got her a giant lilac jar candle. Then, a couple weeks before Christmas, she and I ended up hanging out and she drank tequila for the first time. We were both pretty trashed and giggly and she started pestering me to tell her what I got her for Christmas.

I'm terrible at keeping gift related secrets but I'd managed to not reveal hers for at least a couple weeks, so I was trying to protest and not tell her, but she was like belligerently happy and refused to stop asking. So I told her about the candle and she was totally ecstatic.

The next day, we were both terribly hung over and at one point she mentioned that she hadn't been blackout drunk in a while, so I was like "...how much do you remember from last night?"

Christmas day rolled around and she was completely surprised by the jar candle. Not only had she forgotten about my telling her that I'd bought it, she had also forgotten about texting me to tell me how much she loves jar candles. That's pretty much my favorite Christmas memory.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

the complicated wires venn diagram is the toughest end of level boss I've faced in a bit

Morse code is pretty hard too unless you've learnt how to interpret the difference between dashes and blanks before.

Complicated wires is definitely the worst. Luckily one of my friends is like a venn diagram genius and she always does it by the time everyone else has solved a simple wire.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Quidnose posted:

This year I shall not be on the losing team for Xmas.

I think I have hosed up two years in a row now.

I'm staying out of it this year because I want to go down in sa mafia history as a member of the only town who defeated the Grinch.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Scooby Doo Mafia has ended in a Scum and 3P Survivor victory.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ernie. posted:

Morse code is pretty hard too unless you've learnt how to interpret the difference between dashes and blanks before.

Complicated wires is definitely the worst. Luckily one of my friends is like a venn diagram genius and she always does it by the time everyone else has solved a simple wire.

The morse code one is probably harder for the defuser than the manual person but if the manual person is on the ball they can cut some of the work short by taking notice of the wordlist

I've screwed up simple wires too many times by just missing steps

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Okay Christmas thoughts on a monday morning from me, Authorman which is not my real name.

If people are just resorting to giving each other gift cards and money on Christmas, then it's better to just skip gifts altogether and treat it like the thanksgiving sequel that it is. I have zero issues with an end of the month monthly get together and feast type of deal with a different main ingredient each month. This sounds great lets whiteboard this later, I want to rap about christmas.

Now if you are in a situation where people give a toot then you have to make efficient gift choices. Physical media is bogus, don't give people dvds or books what the heck. What is this 2008? People have netflix and kindles and poo poo nobody has time for this poo poo. I had to leave my house in order to play a cd this week. It's no good.

No, there are two categories of Acceptable Gifts. The practical and the personal.

The best gifts are those that people actually need or didn't realize they wanted. If you can cross those streams well you just slam dunked christmas right there. Good job Asiina that gift selection was christamazing.

But some people are just the worst to gift at. I am one such person. I don't wait for major gift receiving holidays. I just get whatever I want or need when I want or need it. It's all id up here baby.

Don't just give these jerks (me) money. No. I won't allow it. Put your checkbook down. Why do you give real people checks. I am not a utility company.

You have to shotgun gift hints at their face until you see some microexpressions that tell you that they will fall to pieces if they see some fuckin micro machines under that big plastic tree. Just keep em coming so you don't tip off what the gift actually will be due to the sheer volume of hints. Never give up. Never surrender.

Also feel free to give gag gifts every single year to build up the anticipation to your real and not at all a nordstroms gift card gift. Ratchet up the stakes each year so that by eight years in they are essentially living the life of Michael Douglas in the 1997 David Fincher film The Game.

Never not be fooling.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Authorman posted:

Never not be fooling.

I'm a big fan of buying purposely bad things at stores (like a top-of-the-line DVD player or something) and giving them to my friends/brothers. It's like a gift card, except you get to troll them twice by (a) making them feel pressured to pretend to like the bad gift and (b) making them wait in a returns line the week after Christmas.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
What bomb defusing game are you talking about?

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Are there any big games going on right now? I finally got around to finishing Persona mafia but I don't want to step on any toes. If there's none going on it'll go up Friday

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
My two best high school friends and I, when we all lived in the same city would get each other the dumbest gag gifts. We'd basically walk through a dollar store with $20 and look for things that made you say "Mike needs to own this." And it could be a giant lawn sunflower or some sparkly ping-pong balls or some peat moss or some plastic sword. Usually the gifts would have some sort of significance to a dumb joke we'd make all the time. I've forgotten most of them but I remember one was I went through a phase of saying "foiled again!" So I got several rolls of tinfoil (we made a bunch of tinfoil hats which I learned its hard for those to not slip off your head).

The one constant gift is always some sort of terrible children's picture book where each page is altered both in the dialogue and the pictures to tell some horrific tale. Each book was a masterpiece.

That is how my friends and I did christmas and birthdays.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

The morse code one is probably harder for the defuser than the manual person but if the manual person is on the ball they can cut some of the work short by taking notice of the wordlist

I've screwed up simple wires too many times by just missing steps

My friend is completely incapable of speaking at a consistent rate when giving the morse code sequence. We have no idea what is just a pause in his speaking or an actual break between letters. It's hilarious. It's a pretty easy one though that if you have even a few letters you can probably get the word since they aren't that similar.

The one with all the homonyms is the best for sheer confusion.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Chic Trombone posted:

Are there any big games going on right now? I finally got around to finishing Persona mafia but I don't want to step on any toes. If there's none going on it'll go up Friday

Anidav just opened a 25 player game, but I think that and Quantum Mafia are the only games running right now

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Anidav just opened a 25 player game, but I think that and Quantum Mafia are the only games running right now

Durr, I'm in that game I should've remembered that. Surprising that there's only two games going right now though

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
A lot of games just wrapped up all at once, so it's a good time to open a new one :)

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
also keep in mind that Proper Thanksgiving is starting in about two weeks which historically means posting in games drops precipitously for many days in a row.

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Mmm, that's true. Maybe I'll throw up a smaller game and shelve Persona for after the holidays

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
bwahaha bowmore i have finally surpassed you in fantasy movie land. bwahaha! i am number one for week 10

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Murmur Twin posted:

I'm a big fan of buying purposely bad things at stores (like a top-of-the-line DVD player or something) and giving them to my friends/brothers. It's like a gift card, except you get to troll them twice by (a) making them feel pressured to pretend to like the bad gift and (b) making them wait in a returns line the week after Christmas.

This is brilliant.

You are brilliant.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
Secret Santa Interruption:

I don't know who my santee is yet. My plan this year is to give that person an assortment of gifts made by the mafia community. I have made nothing, so the gifts will be things I buy made by mafia players. So far I have Cash or Crash in the package by itself. If you have something for sale that you've made, please PM me a link to a place I can buy it.

Thanks.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
Secret Santa Continuance:

You have about :siren: one week :siren: to submit your Santa information before I distribute Santas! If you submit information after next Monday I will try to pair you up with other jolly-come-latelys if I can but no promises!

Reminder: here is the initial announcement post for further information.

We currently have TWENTY-SIX participants. Can we get five more in the next week, breaking the record???????

:ohdearsass: - Maybe. May... be.

CARRY ON

EccoRaven fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 9, 2015

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

EccoRaven posted:

Secret Santa Continuance:

You have about :siren: one week :siren: to submit your Santa information before I distribute Santas! If you submit information after next Monday I will try to pair you up with other jolly-come-latelys if I can but no promises!

Reminder: here is the initial announcement post for further information.

We currently have TWENTY-SIX participants. Can we get five more in the next week, breaking the record???????

:ohdearsass: - Maybe. May... be.

CARRY ON

SANTEES FOR THE SANTA GOD!

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

merk posted:

Secret Santa Interruption:

I don't know who my santee is yet. My plan this year is to give that person an assortment of gifts made by the mafia community. I have made nothing, so the gifts will be things I buy made by mafia players. So far I have Cash or Crash in the package by itself. If you have something for sale that you've made, please PM me a link to a place I can buy it.

Thanks.

HMU for tasteful nudes.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yes everyone sign the hell up right now it's going to be awesome!!!

Also merk if you pay me for supplies and shipping I can maybe make something for your secret santa. PM me if you're interested and some ideas about what you might want made and we can work something out. It could be a scarf or a stuffed whatever or something practical like potholders or a pillow with a design on it since I recently learned how to do two colour designs. It could even be a written message and oh my god I just had a great idea for my secret santa I need to write this down!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

santa isn't real

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

What bomb defusing game are you talking about?

Keep talking and nobody explodes

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Foo posted:

santa isn't real

But the Easter Bunny is real, right? :ohdear:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TMMadman posted:

But the Easter Bunny is real, right? :ohdear:

yeah, so about your rabbit-foot keychain

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

Captain Foo posted:

santa isn't real

YOU AREN'T REAL

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

EXAKT Science posted:

YOU AREN'T REAL

you have no proof that i am not real

conversely

you have no proof that i am real

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Captain Foo posted:

you have no proof that i am not real

conversely

you have no proof that i am real

Thanks for making Santa into a god allegory buttwipe

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
both santa and god are real aitch-tee-aitch

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Santa is real but the present he gives is the time in which you currently reside. Yes, that's right. Santa is central to the existence of this part of the multiverse.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Keep talking and nobody explodes
This is a really good game

We should play it some time on skype or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back