Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

saucerman posted:

I like how nature is slowly taking over.

Honestly, if it was set up with creepers to deliberately allow nature to take over in a controlled but wild-looking manner that place could be amazing.

I do really like how it looks, to be honest. It's been said before that brutalistic stuff by far works best when it's contrasted with wild plant life.

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

JFK's terminal 5 has an awesome view of this terminal. Once a year (every 5 years? something ridiculous, anyway) they open it to the public. Someday I hope to see the inside.

Man, imagine a world where that kind of place and space was common. The fact that an interior like that was a true heavily-used airport terminal - normally the most horrible places ever - is amazing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ignore

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Angela Christine posted:

Uncle Enzo and the Tire Fire Crew
I'd join this post-apocalypse posse.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

this is really good hth

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

this is really good hth

The Soviets never managed to build True Communism, but they did a couple of cool brutalist buildings, which more than makes up for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I loved that lovely building's appearance in Dredd

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
most brutalism is extremely good

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Chinatown posted:

most brutalism is extremely good

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

also communism and anime

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MikeJF posted:

Man, imagine a world where that kind of place and space was common. The fact that an interior like that was a true heavily-used airport terminal - normally the most horrible places ever - is amazing.
I think I can see why it's no longer used. It just doesn't look like it'd function as a modern airport with current-day levels of traffic.

On the subject of airports... I present Wellington Airport.
At first, you think "Holy poo poo this is awesome", as there's a giant eagle with a giant Gandalf on the back. There's also a giant Gollum.

But if you're traveling 'internationally' you get into this monstrosity. Which from the outside, looks a bit like an armored slug or a cracked-baked-turd. And inside, looks like low-poly a dirt cave.

I give it points for being different. But that's about it. It's dark (compared to the rest of the airport) and cramped.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Nov 7, 2015

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

xlevus posted:

I think I can see why it's no longer used. It just doesn't look like it'd function as a modern airport with current-day levels of traffic.

True, but largely because it was designed with the traffic of the time in mind. I'm sure a modern analogue with modern capacity would be possible given years of design.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

MikeJF posted:

True, but largely because it was designed with the traffic of the time in mind. I'm sure a modern analogue with modern capacity would be possible given years of design.
I also suspect the concrete curved walls echo like a motherfucker. But I could be wrong.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Nov 7, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
Most unique looking airport I've seen is this one in Saudi Arabia which is built around this huge tent structure.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Fasdar posted:

The only response of importance is their compliance.
Sometimes this forum and its inhabitants knock it out of the park.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There's a piece of public art in O'Hare that I really love: the installation in the tunnel between the B and C concourses. It not only has soothing lights, it has soothing music. I always feel happy for a few minutes when I make that transition.

Sadly, that art is still part of O'Hare, well known to be an outer circle of Hell. But I do wish more airports put thought into making inter-concourse travel calming and/or beautiful. Atlanta and your inter-terminal tram, I'm looking at you.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Chinatown posted:

this is really good hth

What about this?

e: NVM.. That has to be a shoop

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fuctifino posted:

What about this?

Even better.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There's a piece of public art in O'Hare that I really love: the installation in the tunnel between the B and C concourses. It not only has soothing lights, it has soothing music. I always feel happy for a few minutes when I make that transition.

Sadly, that art is still part of O'Hare, well known to be an outer circle of Hell. But I do wish more airports put thought into making inter-concourse travel calming and/or beautiful. Atlanta and your inter-terminal tram, I'm looking at you.

the moving walkway is coming to an end

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Bip Roberts posted:

The moving walkway has come to an end. They have removed it (or will soon).

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You just missed the last chance; it's being turned into a hotel next year.

Ah poo poo, I missed it by two weeks -- I was just in NYC for Halloween.

All I can say is they'd better drat well honor that architecture and not try to convert it into something "current."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kakairo posted:

The moving walkway has come to an end. They have removed it (or will soon).

Oh, poo poo. That was a beautiful thing.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrMenshevik posted:

Here's a real gift for the thread, a collection of pictures from the former East Bloc. Including my personal favorite:

The Office of Street Construction in Tbilisi, which may have already been posted, but man is that some sweet, sweet crazy.

I like it. Looks rad with the ivy growing up all over it.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

What about this?

its very good if it exists hth

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's a "digital collage" ("photoshop") by an artist called Filip Dujardin, if anyone wants to see a bunch of similar things you can Google his work.

Kakairo
Dec 5, 2005

In case of emergency, my ass can be used as a flotation device.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, poo poo. That was a beautiful thing.

The lights are still there, you just have to hoof it the whole way.

ShinyBirdTeeth
Nov 7, 2011

sparkle sparkle sparkle

MikeJF posted:

Honestly, if it was set up with creepers to deliberately allow nature to take over in a controlled but wild-looking manner that place could be amazing.

I do really like how it looks, to be honest. It's been said before that brutalistic stuff by far works best when it's contrasted with wild plant life.

The article says it was "designed following the concept of City Space. This city building idea held that as small a footprint as possible should be used, so that nature can claim the space under the construction. Today, the Bank of Georgia has its headquarters in the building."

So yeah, it is supposed to look like that.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I can't defend the trams, but the moving walkways have some nice art installations in the middle part.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

http://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/gallery/2015/nov/09/megastructures-seven-wonders-of-the-modern-world-near-completion

Beijing's new airport looks like a splotch of cum

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

See a doctor.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

It's not so bad, usually you'll be looking at it from the ground and won't really be able to see th-

oh it's an airport. Hmm.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
zaha hadid is poo poo

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

I'm Crap posted:

zaha hadid is poo poo

:agreed:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

You have the world's most symmetrical cum. Pity it's going somewhere visible... (a.k.a. I think that's beautiful)

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

To me it looks like a sphincter

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Put me down for "it looks like a dead jellyfish".

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors

Truly, the crossroads of our times.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I flew one of these in EVE Online.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It's a person on all fours about to get rear end-reamed.

E: by a horse cock

E2: It's Mr Hands: The Building

GotLag fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 9, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
http://wowwiki.wikia.com/wiki/Naaru

• Locked thread