Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

SynthOrange posted:

When will we be free of these stupid vampires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Sigma-X posted:

I will never understand why people hate The Punisher as a comic book character. Like, his vigilantism is SUPER BAD and we should hate him because in real life it would be loving terrible, meanwhile some loving dude in a cape gets the city wrecked every other week and everyone is like "he's so cool because he never kills anyone (except for all those people underneath him) but if that happened even once it would be full out nuclear war on that guy because every battle would be a 9/11 sized tragedy at best and would make Katrina look like it was handled intelligently.

Are you quoting the pitch ennis made for the boys?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

SynthOrange posted:

When will we be free of these stupid vampires.

All vampires are stupid, it's contractual. I mean, why else would they think spelling their names backwards would fool anyone?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So being wreathed in plasma has no effect, but getting hit by a baseball bat equals major ouchies.
In the original Punisher 2099 comics, his Power Bat had some kind of variable setting thing where he could instantly change the bat's density, "depending on the level of punishment required".

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 9, 2015

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

darthbob88 posted:

:argh: As annoying as the usual "titanium weapon" line is, it's especially bad for a club because the main benefit of titanium is that it's super light.

Wouldn't ash be better because vampires are vulnerable to ash stakes?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Discendo Vox posted:

The dudes in capes normally don't kill people as a side effect of their day to day fights. While this is a writing convention and a handwave, it's well-established. Superman et al aren't generally killing people as a side effect- and when that does happen, it's a huge deal.

In fact, that was the thing that started Marvel's Civil War storyline- for once, a bunch of people died in a super powered fight, and suddenly people started thinking it'd be better if super heroes were registered (for accountability) and trained (to make it happening again less likely). That somehow turned into "everyone with powers, even if they're not using them to fight and have no intention of doing so, gets drafted into a super powered National Guard," but it started out as a look at what happens if superheroes cause more than just property damage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

redbackground posted:

In the original Punisher 2099 comics, his Power Bat had some kind of variable setting thing where he could instantly change the bat's density, "depending on the level of punishment required".

I unironically think Punisher 2099 is the best version of the character.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

Wouldn't ash be better because vampires are vulnerable to ash stakes?
Probably not. Apparently some other countries preferred other woods, and the point of a stake is penetration :pervert: , which a baseball bat wouldn't be much good for. On the other hand, it is near universally agreed that vampires are vulnerable to having their heads knocked clean off their shoulders by somebody swinging for the rafters.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Is it too late to talk about favourite Punisher moments because mine is the issue when he gets his skin colour turned black and teams up with Luke Cage

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

The thirty-six...caliber page is legit one of the best examples of comic book writing ever done

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Is it too late to talk about favourite Punisher moments because mine is the issue when he gets his skin colour turned black and teams up with Luke Cage

Did they at least get the money, honey?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:agreed:

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

AnonSpore posted:

The thirty-six...caliber page is legit one of the best examples of comic book writing ever done

What is this caliber thing??

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Toadstrieb posted:

What is this caliber thing??

It's goddamned awesome is what it is

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Minarchist posted:

What makes it better for me is that I keep reading Frank's lines with a Alvin and Chipmunks voice in my head.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
"You'd better stay on the right side of the law" said Oblivious Q. Murderguns to Luke Cage

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

Minarchist posted:

Thank you for answering, but I basically wish I hadn't asked. Jesus Christ.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Minarchist posted:

So is this one of those panels that's supposed to be taken seriously, or is it meant to be a joke about how phenomenally out of touch Frank is?

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Keeshhound posted:

So is this one of those panels that's supposed to be taken seriously, or is it meant to be a joke about how phenomenally out of touch Frank is?

Yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

It's written by guys with an extensive 2000AD background, take that how you will.

edit:

redbackground fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 9, 2015

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.

Keeshhound posted:

To give the serious answer everyone's dancing around (because context is boring), there was a subplot in Punisher 2099 where it seemed like the new guy was somewhat possessed by Frank's ghost (or maybe Judge Dredd), but I don't recall if it was ever resolved what the truth was. A lot of 2099 seemed to be like that (admittedly, I've only read Punisher 2099 and Doom 2099).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I dunno, I liked most of Punisher Max. That was a good take on him up until it got really stupid towards the end.

The Punisher as a relentless avatar of death that's more like a force of nature you watch utterly annihilate everyone retarded enough to try him on, and you only root for him because the people he turns his sights on are even worse than he is.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

That falls flat for me, at least, because you've got to get truly, cartoonishly evil ideas about street level crime to think those people are worse than the Punisher so you can feel good about watching him murder people by the dozens. It's like Death Wish, it's a gross, Reagan-Era power fantasy that exists in the same world as Captain America and Spider-Man.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

You would be unironically correct.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Travis343 posted:

That falls flat for me, at least, because you've got to get truly, cartoonishly evil ideas about street level crime to think those people are worse than the Punisher so you can feel good about watching him murder people by the dozens. It's like Death Wish, it's a gross, Reagan-Era power fantasy that exists in the same world as Captain America and Spider-Man.
That's why it owns.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Avulsion posted:

Punisher MAX was a great book not because of the excessive violence, but because of how well it conveyed the concept that Frank Castle is not a Hero. He's a monster every bit as bad as the people he kills, sometimes worse. Killing bad guys doesn't make him one of the good guys.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Frank owns but goddamn he's a broken soul in MAX :(

He's just lashing out at everything he can justify to himself what he does is right. That he's not a bad person. That he has a reason to live.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I had to straight up stop reading that eyeroll worthy childish bullshit from Ennis, particularly The Boys. It nearly ruined Preacher for me too but at least I got through that.
This is why I always chuckle when people go "ANIME", like the American comic industry is full of lovely misogynistic creepo rear end in a top hat writers. It really is a "URHHH THESE COMICS ARE ASIAAAAAAAN" sitch. Like say what you will but at least creepo douchebags like Frank Miller and Mark Millar and Garth Ennis aren't major figures of manga :lol: Naoki Urasawa is way more likable and well-adjusted and cool than like, weird old grumpy Alan Moore.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I had to straight up stop reading that eyeroll worthy childish bullshit from Ennis, particularly The Boys. It nearly ruined Preacher for me too but at least I got through that.
This is why I always chuckle when people go "ANIME", like the American comic industry is full of lovely misogynistic creepo rear end in a top hat writers. It really is a "URHHH THESE COMICS ARE ASIAAAAAAAN" sitch. Like say what you will but at least creepo douchebags like Frank Miller and Mark Millar and Garth Ennis aren't major figures of manga :lol: Naoki Urasawa is way more likable and well-adjusted and cool than like, weird old grumpy Alan Moore.
manga has its own version of this in the authors/artists intentionally or unconsciously expressing xenophobia/racism/sexism

like, I've seen American comics produce stupid poo poo like juvenile poo poo like Crossed but I don't think I've seen anyone produce a popular series as weird, creepy, racist, and nationalist as GATE.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fabricated posted:

manga has its own version of this in the authors/artists intentionally or unconsciously expressing xenophobia/racism/sexism

like, I've seen American comics produce stupid poo poo like juvenile poo poo like Crossed but I don't think I've seen anyone produce a popular series as weird, creepy, racist, and nationalist as GATE.
Yeah, that is a good point, I guess it's just about avoiding the 90% lovely poo poo in both comic scenes. Man do I hate that whole Marc Millar/Garth Ennis comic book vibe though. Whatever you'd call the poo poo they do.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, that is a good point, I guess it's just about avoiding the lovely poo poo in both comic scenes. Man do I hate that whole Marc Millar/Garth Ennis comic book vibe though. Whatever you'd call the poo poo they do.
I'm not a huge American comic guy so I'm not familiar with most of Ennis' work outside of Punisher Max and a few other things but the impression I got is that Ennis really loving hates the poo poo out of superheroes, or rather the typical ideal of a superhero.

edit: The irony of this is that currently in Japan one of the newest, most popular mangas for the tween/teen set is a superhero manga created explicitly to pay homage to American Cape comics, complete with a mentor figure who is literally drawn like a silver age American comic hero in comparison to the standard "anime" style of everyone else.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 9, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Fabricated posted:

I'm not a huge American comic guy so I'm not familiar with most of Ennis' work outside of Punisher Max and a few other things but the impression I got is that Ennis really loving hates the poo poo out of superheroes, or rather the typical ideal of a superhero.

He also writes a great Superman in Hitman.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Fabricated posted:

edit: The irony of this is that currently in Japan one of the newest, most popular mangas for the tween/teen set is a superhero manga created explicitly to pay homage to American Cape comics, complete with a mentor figure who is literally drawn like a silver age American comic hero in comparison to the standard "anime" style of everyone else.

Link?

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

bobkatt013 posted:

He also writes a great Superman in Hitman.

Of Thee I Sing is one of the best Superman issues out there.

Edit: ^ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Hero_Academia

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
My Hero Academia

Don't get it twisted; it's still very anime/shounen (complete with a tournament arc) but there's a lot of winks and nods and outright references to American Comics (including a "Kal-El" Hero Office).

Basically, think X-men, but 100+ years after the X Gene manifested in 80%+ of the population rather than 1%. Far less bleak. Typical school setup- think Xavier institute but with heroism being a legit job you can work towards.

Again- it's still very anime but it's a blast so far and has fantastic character designs and mutant powers. One of the later villains is basically a McFarlane badguy.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 10, 2015

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Keeshhound posted:

All vampires are stupid, it's contractual. I mean, why else would they think spelling their names backwards would fool anyone?

"Wait...'Coachferatu'? Was-was he doing a bit? You're all looking at me like I'm the rear end in a top hat. Am I being an rear end in a top hat?"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He's less of a psycho than regular Punisher.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

So being wreathed in plasma has no effect, but getting hit by a baseball bat equals major ouchies. So, clearly, Morlun is elementally weak to baseball, which means there's only one way to stop him.

B..Batman?

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Is that Dr. Mid-Nite, wolverine, and Spider-Man in the bottom right panel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

OptimusShr posted:

Is that Dr. Mid-Nite, wolverine, and Spider-Man in the bottom right panel?

Along with Supes, Ultraman, Devilman, and Kamen Rider (I think? Might be someone else on the top right of the panel there)